Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Michael Buchanan, DE / OLB, Illinois

Junior year tape looked great, senior was meh, though maybe because of he had his jaw shut and lost 20 lbs.

I think he has great mid round potential, maybe 2nd/3rd round if he has an amazing combine. But tape alone is 3rd/4th round, from his junior year its very good, though he did have a 1st rounder helping him.

Now he doesn't have the same explosions off the line, but he does well in space. You can clearly see he isn't playing with the same strength he was the previous year. He does a really good job of standing up and playing the run in the middle of nowhere and even staying back on the backside cutoff.

This is where my concerns lie, can he be just as explosive again? 1 trick pony that only uses his speed? Once in a while you see the bull, but he gets locked up, a few times see the spin. But mainly beating guys on the inside speed or outside speed.

Is he a 3-4 or 4-3? Stand up and hand in the dirt?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me, he's like a 4th round pick unless he comes in at around 255 and shows good athleticism. I think he's probably going to be a 3-4 guy, but some 4-3 team may give him a shot if they don't mind an undersized DE.

He likely won't get looked at much from a 4-3 team unless he's at least 250. In his case, I think scouts will take the injury into effect because any player is going to lose a lot of strength when they lose 20 pounds (when they need that 20 pounds). He's undersized right now and will move up a lot if he can get up in that 255-260 range and show the same ability that we think he has
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very quiet at the Senior Bowl. Very thin build - ankles are very thin, almost looks like Johnthan Banks in the lower body!

Senior tape is poor. Can't set an edge - I think it was the Arizona State game I remember that being a problem particularly.

Day three unless he is fantastic at the Combine, but even then not sure I'd touch him.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am still on the bandwagon, although I am leaning towards outside linebacker in an odd front being his best fit at the next level. Either way this guy is a fantastic looking athlete.

Underrated in my opinion.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the annual illinois player who shoots up the draftboard at the latest moment?

Saints 2014 draft

1st: Jason Verrett
2nd: Donte Moncrief
3rd: Jimmy Ward
4th: JaWuan James
5th: Dri Archer
6th: Gabe Ikard
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 AM    (permalink
bigbenn
Veteran

bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.

Best DE in the draft with Tank Carradine. Also Hawthorne is best CB.
bigbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 AM    (permalink
bigbenn
Veteran

bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.bigbenn is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
the annual illinois player who shoots up the draftboard at the latest moment?
One of them haha. Pick your choice between Buchanan, Hawthorne, Thornton or Justin Green (Watch out for him 3rd-4th round maybe even 2nd. There will be at least 5 Illini drafted.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least we know Zook could recruit talent.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I saw there looked like a LB playing DE, but I'm not really sure his athleticism is good enough to cover how he needs. If he has a bad combine, then 34 ILB might be his only position.

It's definitely hard to judge him because Illinois does some weird things with their responsibilities and whatnot. I was just unimpressed with him as an edge rusher.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM    (permalink
bigbenn
Veteran

I don't think Buchanan falls further than 20...also should say if you think this past wave of great Illini players was something, wait until this next wave emerges...I'm talking Darius Caldwell (Going to be even better than Mercilus, Buchanan, etc.), Teko Powell, Jon Davis/Matt LaCosse, Darrius Millines, Pat Flavin, etc. And keep an eye open for this 2013 class down the line led by QB Aaron Bailey...he has #1 pick potential down the line. The Illini aren't stopping anytime soon.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 AM    (permalink
bigbenn
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
To me, he's like a 4th round pick unless he comes in at around 255 and shows good athleticism. I think he's probably going to be a 3-4 guy, but some 4-3 team may give him a shot if they don't mind an undersized DE.

He likely won't get looked at much from a 4-3 team unless he's at least 250. In his case, I think scouts will take the injury into effect because any player is going to lose a lot of strength when they lose 20 pounds (when they need that 20 pounds). He's undersized right now and will move up a lot if he can get up in that 255-260 range and show the same ability that we think he has
He was over 250 this past season...would've likely topped 260 if he hadn't broke his jaw. Also should add he was nicked up at times this year...and should add as well that strength won't be a problem for Buchanan...he has uncanny wiry strength. He might be inconsistent sometimes but its there. Just ask the MSU OT he bull rushed straight back to the QB as a 225 soph, etc. Buchanan reminds me of Jason Taylor but the strength is a x-factor.

Last edited by bigbenn : 02-01-2013 at 05:00 PM.