Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Yeah saying Chung was decent is pretty damn generous.
He had his moments. There were people that thought he was on his way as a safety to being a top 5 safety (at one point... lol).

His biggest problem has been staying healthy.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to think DeAndre Hopkins is my top choice for the Pats. He's probably a low 4.4/high 4.5 guy but he can get behind a defense. His route running is fantastic. He runs nice comeback routes and we have seen the Pats incorporate a lot of back shoulder throws this year. He also runs some sick double moves. He's not as electric with the ball in his hands as Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson but he's no slouch when it cokes to yac either

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really am not looking to encourage Mcdaniels to run the back shoulder throw plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really starting to like Marquise Goodwin from Texas and Aaron Dobson from Marshall. Another guy that I've been high on for a few year now is Marquess Wilson. All of those would do well in our offense, but I'm not sure if BB would draft them. They'd have to show that they can grasp the option route concepts that the offense employs. Playing receiver in NE is really a difficult task..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe he's already outside of NE's draft range, but my #1 prospect is Ezekiel Ansah. He has the skills to be incredibly dominant in the NFL at LDE.

Ansah on one side and Jones on the other.... would be nightmarish for any OL coach.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, but I don't think we'll get a chance to get him unless we trade up. You can't let physical talent like that drop when he's playing a position where athleticism >> everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Maybe he's already outside of NE's draft range, but my #1 prospect is Ezekiel Ansah. He has the skills to be incredibly dominant in the NFL at LDE.

Ansah on one side and Jones on the other.... would be nightmarish for any OL coach.
Ansah would be a great choice if he somehow slides, though I think he will rise to the top 10. One guy I absolutely love, providing his kness checks out, is Tank Carradine. I like him more than Werner

Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Armchair Scout
Rookie

Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Patriots could use a pure pass rushing DE to put in on passing downs at the very least. They have tons of size inside, but they could use some speed. I wouldn't mind the Pats taking Alex Okafor in the first if he is available. I must admit I am not a big fan of Ansah, but he does have potential.

Pats also could use another outside receiver. Stedman Bailey or Aaron Dobson could be really good picks in the 2nd/3rd rounds. I am not enchanted by any of the 1st round receivers, except Tavon Austin, but the Pats will likely keep either Welker or Edelman, and they don't really need any more small slot receivers.

The Pats could also use a strong safety. I like Vaccaro and Swearinger, who both can cover and defend the run, so they could definitely help the Pats secondary.
Armchair Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

I'm not a fan of Tavon Austin. He's a good pick in the 3rd or 4th round. Not the first. See the link below.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fut...r-tavon-austin

I recently saw a name I think might end up being a surprise first rounder or maybe second rounder for NE. Phillip Thomas, Safety, Fresno State. He has some issues to fix in the open field (he struggles with incredibly illusive backs, which NE can fix easy) but he does everything on the field and loves the film room. Lots of athletic talent. Very solid tackler. 6'1", 215 and looks like he could be 225 if he wanted.

His biggest knock is his lack of elite speed (he's probably a 4.5-4.6 guy), but the rest of his combine numbers will be very good.

One of the things that I liked when I saw him was he seemed to get better as the games went on. He adjusted very well.

edit: apparently Jonathan Cyprien had a huge week at the Senior Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxTBKjPBgQ

He is straight up beast mode in that video.

Last edited by descendency : 01-27-2013 at 09:58 AM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Tavon Austin. He's a good pick in the 3rd or 4th round. Not the first. See the link below.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fut...r-tavon-austin

I recently saw a name I think might end up being a surprise first rounder or maybe second rounder for NE. Phillip Thomas, Safety, Fresno State. He has some issues to fix in the open field (he struggles with incredibly illusive backs, which NE can fix easy) but he does everything on the field and loves the film room. Lots of athletic talent. Very solid tackler. 6'1", 215 and looks like he could be 225 if he wanted.

His biggest knock is his lack of elite speed (he's probably a 4.5-4.6 guy), but the rest of his combine numbers will be very good.

One of the things that I liked when I saw him was he seemed to get better as the games went on. He adjusted very well.

edit: apparently Jonathan Cyprien had a huge week at the Senior Bowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxTBKjPBgQ

He is straight up beast mode in that video.
Overall I don't think that's a good article. The writer states Austin can't be compared to Harvin or Cobb because he is a small WR and they aren't and uses a measurement of his own creation to determine what a small WR is. It's easier to say the guy isn' a top prospect physically when you compare him to Welker and Amendola, however he is very similar to Harvin and pretty similar to Cobb.

Quote:
This background information about these other slot receivers is to underscore the point that, if Austin is truly one of the five best receiver prospects in this yearís draft class, then I believe one of these factors must apply:

1. Austinís dynamic ability approaches that of Steve Smith.
2. The NFLís offensive evolution to spread sets with hybrid players is increasing the value of slot receivers.
3. This is one of the weaker classes of senior receivers in recent years.
Steve Smith was a 4.39 guy at the combine. He is also very shifty. Austin will likely be at worst a low 4.4 guy and is also very shifty. What separates Steve Smith from others is his physicality.

The offensive evolution does show that slot receiver value has grown.

It is one of the weaker crops of senior WRs

Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

I don't think the article is great, but I think the overall point is correct: Guys like Tavon Austin don't belong in round 1. And guys like him that NE uses in their system are generally late rounders or UDFAs.

Austin isn't as big and physical as Percy Harvin. Harvin gets somehow associated with the rest of the guys from UF that have been smaller speed backs when he was a bigger and stronger RB. He's closer to Gillislee than other UF backs.

I don't have a huge problem with Austin if he's drafted in a round that makes sense for the type of talent he is, but that round is like the 3rd.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ehh... We see guys like Austin get underdrafted all the time. DeSean Jackson, Antonio Brown, Steve Smith, Wes Welker... We ridiculously large sample sizes of what these guys are capable of doing on the field. We know they're extremely fast and can make plays. We know exactly what they are - which is someone that brings the production level of a Top 15 pick - and we see them go late in the draft over and over and over again. Why? It's dumb. You know what the guy is. You know his skill set translates to today's game. You know he'll be highly productive and you pass on him until later. It's silly.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DAndre Hopkins or Terrance Williams would be good first round picks but nto a fan of Williams for the 1st round, struggles underneath. Hopkins would be a great fit.

I think second round might bring more value if we can't get Hopkins with Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton, Aaron Dobson, Da'Rick Rogers or Marquis Goodwin

I think we need a safety or CB in round 1 or 2, plenty with size and pop. With safety Vaccaro would be awesome but a trade up is needed. Elam would be greta but his size and how he plays worries me, still would spend a first round on him. Reid reminds me of Chung to much, Phillip Thomas is a playmaker but his tackliing worries me and his speed. Jonathan Cyprien would be a great 2nd round pick, he attacks, hits hard and can cover, same for JJ Wilcox of Georgia Southern a 2nd-3rd rd pick was a former WR then RB now a hard hitting safety. All 3 Georgia guys Williams, Rambo and Commings will go around 3rd-4th would be hard hitting solutions but coverage problems.

CB is another 1st-3rd round deep draft with size/speed...Trufant/Jamar Taylor/Poyer/Logan Ryan/Will Davis/Darius Slade would like nice, Banks and Wilson's grade will be combine to see is they are man or zone but they are strong at the press. Later rounds like Mathieu/Amerson/Webb/Simon/Anthony/Hawthorne/Hyde/McGee could be 3rd-5th rd, options that fit. deep with CB and S IMO
3. RB - Jeremy Hill - LSU
4. C - Travis Swanson - Arkansas
4. DT - Justin Ellis - Louisianna Tech
6. LB - Kevin Pierre-Louis - Boston College
6. WR - Jeremy Gallon - Michigan
7. OG - Zach Fulton - Tennessee

UDFA
QB - Stephen Morris - Miami
CB - Kendall James - Maine
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Thomas may struggle with deep speed, but tackling is something that can be fixed fairly easy. The only issue I have with his tackling is that he doesn't really hit with any force (he's not going to be confused with Rodney Harrison)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 AM    (permalink
Armchair Scout
Rookie

Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Austin. I get that people shy away from drafting slot receivers high, but Austin is as close to as good a slot receiver as you'll find in college. I think the author in that previously cited article severely underrated Austin's speed and elusiveness. He is far superior athletically to Davone Bess and Dexter McCluster. The number of players in college football who would have scored on the 4th and 4 play against Texas can probably be counted with your fingers. Plus, Austin has outstanding hands and has shown an ability to carry the ball out of the backfield.

I'm not sure the Pats need to draft Austin, but if they aren't planning on keeping Welker, Austin would be an excellent pick.
Armchair Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I'd have to put Trufant as my #1 fairly realistic target for the Pats. I think WR will be the best value in the second round and a quality safety will fall to them in the third.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

I think I may want John Jenkins in my top 5. You just can't coach 6'4", 360 and athletic. There are plenty of DBs in this class that are worth it, but getting quality DL and OL is very hard.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
I think I may want John Jenkins in my top 5. You just can't coach 6'4", 360 and athletic. There are plenty of DBs in this class that are worth it, but getting quality DL and OL is very hard.
The opposite actually seems true for the Pats. Seldom do they miss on defensive linemen, and I can't remember anyone drafted even remotely highly who failed on the o line. However Belichick just can't catch a break on these DBs.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ron Brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'd be all about Jenkins, Jesse Williams, or Brandon Williams but I just don't think the Patriots have room to draft a DL even if they re-sign everyone they need to re-sign.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure about the hype with Jenkins. He looks every bit a 360lb type athlete to me. He's looks way more like Terrance Cody than Haloti Ngata to me.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I'd be all about Jenkins, Jesse Williams, or Brandon Williams but I just don't think the Patriots have room to draft a DL even if they re-sign everyone they need to re-sign.
Jesse Williams won't be a first round pick in NE. NE won't take a guy who can't play at least 3 downs. Jesse Williams was a 2 down NT at Alabama. He has no pass rush whatsoever.

Jenkins is actually a better pass rusher (despite the size difference) than Williams.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
Not sure about the hype with Jenkins. He looks every bit a 360lb type athlete to me. He's looks way more like Terrance Cody than Haloti Ngata to me.
He's a lot more athletic and mobile than Cody.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope that the Pats seriously consider Tavon Austin. I feel like he has the type of speed that this offense could use. Also he can takeover for Welker in the slot and use his speed to stretch the field. I could see Belichick using him in a lot of different ways like he does with Hernandez when he puts him at H-Back. Austin isn't an H-Back but I could see them getting creative and using him in some formations where he lines up behind the line of scrimmage.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I am using a first round pick for a receiver, I am taking Patterson or Allen and that's it. If you are targeting some of these second tier receivers (Hunter, Austin, Woods, T. Williams) then trade out of the first and try to get additional picks.

I am really focusing on a secondary player in the late first. I would love Banks, Matt Elam, Eric Reid, Cyprien, Desmond Trufant, or Jordan Poyer. There is a lot of depth here in the late first or early second area..... again I would love to trade down. I would love a DE/OLB type but I do not think anyone is going to be there for the taking worthy of that spot. A guy like Short (not at OLB, obviously) would work for me.

If your targeting these two specific areas, trade down BB!

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote