Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'd also like to take the time to beat my chest some more and throw in the name Kirk Cousins. He was really good in his two major appearances due to RG3s injuries. I believe he would go #1 overall in a class like this. Being blunt, I have no idea what people were watching when they were watching his film at MSU.
I liked Cousins as well. He had a lot in common as a prospect with Matt Ryan. Of course, he also had a lot in common with Ricky Stanzi (who I also thought was underrated his year).
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Was Stephen Hill not good this season? I loved him. Would've been fine with him going top 10 lol.
No, he wasn't very good. Now he definitely showed some talent but also had some bad drops. Had to fight some injuries and also got injured late ending his season early. QB play by the Jets didn't help of course and I think if he regains his confidence he can develop into a good player.

Quinton Coples was a BEAST at the end of the year for the Jets, actually led the team in sacks and I believe in tackles for loss. Was mainly used on passing downs but started to see more time at the end of the year. Many people considered him a potential bust but now it looks like the Jets have a scary 3-4 DE combination for the next decade with him and Wilkerson.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
No, he wasn't very good. Now he definitely showed some talent but also had some bad drops. Had to fight some injuries and also got injured late ending his season early. QB play by the Jets didn't help of course and I think if he regains his confidence he can develop into a good player.

Quinton Coples was a BEAST at the end of the year for the Jets, actually led the team in sacks and I believe in tackles for loss. Was mainly used on passing downs but started to see more time at the end of the year. Many people considered him a potential bust but now it looks like the Jets have a scary 3-4 DE combination for the next decade with him and Wilkerson.
The Jets need at least two OLB in the first three rounds. And some overall team speed on defense.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still like Stephen Hill and Dontari Poe. Both struggled as rookies, but also showed enough flashes to make me believe they can still have success. I expect both players to make huge jumps in their second seasons. Well, maybe not Hill due to quarterback play.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I still like Stephen Hill and Dontari Poe. Both struggled as rookies, but also showed enough flashes to make me believe they can still have success. I expect both players to make huge jumps in their second seasons. Well, maybe not Hill due to quarterback play.
DTs and WRs have two of the harder transitions to the NFL. I wouldn't make a big deal about a subpar rookie effort from anybody who plays either position. DTs and WRs who make impacts as rookies are exceptionally rare.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
PossibleCabbage

DTs and WRs have two of the harder transitions to the NFL. I wouldn't make a big deal about a subpar rookie effort from anybody who plays either position. DTs and WRs who make impacts as rookies are exceptionally rare.
I would not say a receiver having an impact as a rookie is rare. If anything it is quite common, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, the great ones have an impact and even the lesser known guys have an impact. Take this past year with talented yet drafted late receivers in Givens and Hilton.

Defensive tackle you have a point, but a rookie receiver having an impact is not that rare I feel. Seems to me the learning curve is getting small and smaller, the NFL really benefits from college football producing and developing these players quite well early on.

Just look at the 2011 draft.

1 Newton
2 Dareus
3 AJ Green
4 P. Peterson
5 Julio Jones
6 Aldon Smith
7 Jake Locker
8 Tyron Smith
etc...

I mean six of the top eight are currently pro bowl players. Ridiculous talent in that draft, and arguably the only real bust in the 1st so far is Gabbert. And in some ways that is no surprise but he could maybe still develop.

It is still early but compare that to ten years ago, look back and half of the 1st round picks are busts or major disappointments.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
I would not say a receiver having an impact as a rookie is rare. If anything it is quite common, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, the great ones have an impact and even the lesser known guys have an impact. Take this past year with talented yet drafted late receivers in Givens and Hilton.
The thing is though that Green, Jones, and Johnson are basically the best WR prospects we've seen this decade. It's not surprising that the cream of the crop comes out and contributes (though you often still see considerable year 2 or year 3 bumps).

But there's a lot of really good WRs in the NFL who weren't prospects of that calibre when they came into the league (Brandon Marshall, Demaryius Thomas, Greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Wes Welker, Randall Cobb, Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin,etc.) and those guys usually take a year or two to really come into their own.

So I think the paucity of immediate impact WRs is simply just due to the paucity of WRs who are truly special prospects. Most drafts certainly don't have a WR of the calibre of Jones, Green, or Johnson (2011 didn't, 2012 doesn't, etc.) so if you draft someone who's not in the class, don't worry too much if he struggles as a rookie.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Also do not underestimate linebackers that can run. So watch out for Alec Ogletree, Arthur Brown and Jon Bostic.
Interesting to see you mention him - I was watching some cutups this morning just before opening this thread, and that is essentially the entirety of my assessment of him. He has trouble getting off of blocks, gets pushed back downfield and doesn't look like he works very well in trash, but he can sure move. His best plays are when he gets a "clean release" off the line and is chasing somebody down.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
The Jets need at least two OLB in the first three rounds. And some overall team speed on defense.
I agree that they definitely have to draft an OLB but due to many other needs I would not be surprised if Garrett McIntyre starts for them next year. He has starting experience in the last two seasons, has been pretty solid against both the run and the pass and he is a hard worker. Of course you need a stud on the other side, a true edge rusher, something the Jets haven't had since John Abraham left. Luckily the draft looks to be deep in terms of pass rushing/OLB talent.

I agree that the Jets need more team speed on defense but they already moved in that direction last year. Wilkerson and Coples are extremely athletic for 3-4 ends, Demario Davis is likely to start for Bart Scott and players like Pace, Scott, Thomas and Eric Smith will be history next year.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I definitely agree on Hill even with his tough rookie season. He showed that he can get open and has prototypical NFL size and speed. Many times Sanchez just straight out missed him for big gains and touchdowns. I think a lot of Hill's problem was mental, the drops and injuries got to him which lead to the struggles. When he's healthy there is no reason to believe he will have a better sophomore season...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
The thing is though that Green, Jones, and Johnson are basically the best WR prospects we've seen this decade. It's not surprising that the cream of the crop comes out and contributes (though you often still see considerable year 2 or year 3 bumps).

But there's a lot of really good WRs in the NFL who weren't prospects of that calibre when they came into the league (Brandon Marshall, Demaryius Thomas, Greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Wes Welker, Randall Cobb, Vincent Jackson, Miles Austin,etc.) and those guys usually take a year or two to really come into their own.

So I think the paucity of immediate impact WRs is simply just due to the paucity of WRs who are truly special prospects. Most drafts certainly don't have a WR of the calibre of Jones, Green, or Johnson (2011 didn't, 2012 doesn't, etc.) so if you draft someone who's not in the class, don't worry too much if he struggles as a rookie.
Thomas was the cream of the crop. Despite a significant injury and the fact that the came out of an option system, look where he was drafted.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Interesting to see you mention him - I was watching some cutups this morning just before opening this thread, and that is essentially the entirety of my assessment of him. He has trouble getting off of blocks, gets pushed back downfield and doesn't look like he works very well in trash, but he can sure move. His best plays are when he gets a "clean release" off the line and is chasing somebody down.
Correct, Bostic is not top tier. He gets blocked was to often.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
Thomas was the cream of the crop. Despite a significant injury and the fact that the came out of an option system, look where he was drafted.
Demaryius Thomas was not on Calvin Johnson or A.J. Green's level as a prospect. Perhaps in terms of raw physical gifts, sure, but not as a prospect. "How much do I have to teach this guy before he can play" factors into prospect quality.