Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
You can't fix arm strength. And if you don't have arm strength you're not an NFL qb.
Tom Brady fixed it.

Joe Montana didn't have it.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Tom Brady fixed it.

Joe Montana didn't have it.
Both had bigger arms than Barkley.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
D-Unit pls
I don't like debating with you Monomach. All you do is get mad. Your rant against bitoni about the Jets and Warmack made me smh.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Both had bigger arms than Barkley.
Now that's just pure hating.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly. Andy Dalton isn't very good.
He's been to the playoffs two years in a row so he's not exactly terrible.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can make it in the NFL with average arm strength, its just a lot harder. Guys with plus arm strength can make up for late reads and put it in tougher spots.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
You can make it in the NFL with average arm strength, its just a lot harder. Guys with plus arm strength can make up for late reads and put it in tougher spots.
Brililant!

...and a lot of guys with rocket arms who go nowhere.

Jeff George, Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell were made #1 overall picks because of it. I'm done with guys who want to knock Barkley only for arm strength.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but, they were also drafted number one overall BECAUSE OF THEIR ARM STRENGTH.

a strong arm doesn't equate being a good QB, but if it were the easiest thing to fix, then everyone in the NFL would have rocket arms. (exaggeration, yes. but you get the point). You can't fix arm strength. plus, things such as reads and footwork are much easier to improve. that's maturity of the brain and muscle memory. you can't just make a QB's arm strength better.

You also used 2 of the best QB's of all time...both of whom HARDLY had the noodle Barkley's got coming into the NFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
but, they were also drafted number one overall BECAUSE OF THEIR ARM STRENGTH.

a strong arm doesn't equate being a good QB, but if it were the easiest thing to fix, then everyone in the NFL would have rocket arms. (exaggeration, yes. but you get the point). You can't fix arm strength. plus, things such as reads and footwork are much easier to improve. that's maturity of the brain and muscle memory. you can't just make a QB's arm strength better.

You also used 2 of the best QB's of all time...both of whom HARDLY had the noodle Barkley's got coming into the NFL
Scotty,
If we were using preseason rankings you'd be loving Barkley right now. Just stop with the noodle arm comment like you've actually watch him play. USC didn't play Rutgers so I know you didn't watch him in 4 years.

You can fix arm strength. It's called commitment. That's why some have fixed it and others haven't.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Scotty,
If we were using preseason rankings you'd be loving Barkley right now. Just stop with the noodle arm comment like you've actually watch him play. USC didn't play Rutgers so I know you didn't watch him in 4 years.

You can fix arm strength. It's called commitment. That's why some have fixed it and others haven't.
it's funny you keep knocking rankings when that's all this site has.

also, it's funny you go to a Rutgers comment. that almost made sense. But yeah, let's pretend I just only watch Rutgers games and go off rankings because there's no other thing to do and god forbid we delve into the actual points made.

And commitment? So Chad Pennington, who was a noodle arm pre-injury, and worked his way back from said surgeries wasn't "committed".

Oh.

That's good logic.

Almost

edit: Also, Tyler Wilson was my favorite QB in the pre-season. He's been it up until his mediocre showing at the Senior Bowl. But let's ignore all these things
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
He's been to the playoffs two years in a row so he's not exactly terrible.
He's ultimately gonna hold his team back if he doesn't dramatically improve his deep accuracy and build his body up and throw with his legs.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's ultimately gonna hold his team back if he doesn't dramatically improve his deep accuracy and build his body up and throw with his legs.
I certainly won't deny that

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
it's funny you keep knocking rankings when that's all this site has.

also, it's funny you go to a Rutgers comment. that almost made sense. But yeah, let's pretend I just only watch Rutgers games and go off rankings because there's no other thing to do and god forbid we delve into the actual points made.

And commitment? So Chad Pennington, who was a noodle arm pre-injury, and worked his way back from said surgeries wasn't "committed".

Oh.

That's good logic.

Almost

edit: Also, Tyler Wilson was my favorite QB in the pre-season. He's been it up until his mediocre showing at the Senior Bowl. But let's ignore all these things
Obviously joking with you with the Rutgers stuff. You don't have a serious side scotty so stop acting like you do now. Just be your fun loving self.

...and chad pennington never had commitment to improving his arm strength. He focused on other strengths. Doesn't mean he didn't have commitment to anything. oh scotty... ur fun.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't like debating with you Monomach. All you do is get mad. Your rant against bitoni about the Jets and Warmack made me smh.
I don't get mad. I laugh when people talk nonsense...like saying that arm strength is an easy problem to fix.

...and I didn't rant. He said something stupid. I asked him to clarify. He didn't. He said some more stupid stuff. So I asked him to clarify again. Turned out he had no idea what he was talking about because he thought your average starting guard made 500k a year or whatever.

I think the person who gets mad is the crybaby who called everyone mad in the Manti Te'o thread and then closed it when everyone called him out on it.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly. Andy Dalton isn't very good.
2 years to the playoffs with only one real weapon? Horrible. Just horrible.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
a strong arm doesn't equate being a good QB, but if it were the easiest thing to fix, then everyone in the NFL would have rocket arms. (exaggeration, yes. but you get the point).
That's not exaggeration at all. You were 100% right. Training Staffs would be working on QB arm strength round the clock until it was "fixed."

So curious why the Jets didn't fix Chad Pennington's arm strength. Put a cannon on Chad Pennington and you've got one of the best QBs of all time. Deadly accurate, excellent decision maker, hard worker, good leader, very intelligent with a rocket arm? Guess the Jets didn't want a Peyton Manning clone badly enough to fix him.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dalton has 100% improved his arm strength. Rather, he's 100% tweaked something in his mechanics/worked on his lower body strength to increase his arm strength.

I don't think you can improve someone's arm strength unless they had that potential in the first place but just didn't maximize that potential so to speak (to explain a guy like Pennington).

Brees did too.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Dalton has 100% improved his arm strength. Rather, he's 100% tweaked something in his mechanics/worked on his lower body strength to increase his arm strength.

I don't think you can improve someone's arm strength unless they had that potential in the first place but just didn't maximize that potential so to speak (to explain a guy like Pennington).

Brees did too.
It was all mechanics.
Gruden and Zampese have done a good job working with him on it. And he still has room to improve mechanics.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

Brees did too.
That's a problem with Barkley in this whole debate, he's already very sound mechanically and is pretty much maxed out physically. Not much room for growth in the arm strength department.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
That's a problem with Barkley in this whole debate, he's already very sound mechanically and is pretty much maxed out physically. Not much room for growth in the arm strength department.
This is my thoughts 100%. Also he doesn't have ideal height which is another issue in and of its self. Its fine for Drew Breese/Russel Wilson types who are going to roll out all the time but for a pocket passer like Barkley it is a bigger issue. Plus I can't remember the last USC QB not named Palmer to succeed in the NFL.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a similar note, I feel that with Geno Smith's long arms and kind of overall lankiness, he actually has quite a bit of room for his arm strength to develop. He has the frame to get bit bigger and stronger and has some little weight transfer things he can improve on - all of which will help him get even more velocity as he grows moving forward.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
On a similar note, I feel that with Geno Smith's long arms and kind of overall lankiness, he actually has quite a bit of room for his arm strength to develop. He has the frame to get bit bigger and stronger and has some little weight transfer things he can improve on - all of which will help him get even more velocity as he grows moving forward.
A lot of people have been talking nonsense about arm strength not being something QBs can improve in, but these are 2 good points that I can agree with. And as far as physical upside (and even now), I can't deny Smith wins that argument.

Being a QB is much more than having physical gifts though. It's the intangibles that Barkley has that I like more than Smith. Teams with the #1 overall pick don't like settling for prospects with perceived limits. So I don't expect KC to take Barkley in a million years. But I do think he's gonna end up being the better QB in the long run.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
I don't get mad. I laugh when people talk nonsense...like saying that arm strength is an easy problem to fix.

...and I didn't rant. He said something stupid. I asked him to clarify. He didn't. He said some more stupid stuff. So I asked him to clarify again. Turned out he had no idea what he was talking about because he thought your average starting guard made 500k a year or whatever.

I think the person who gets mad is the crybaby who called everyone mad in the Manti Te'o thread and then closed it when everyone called him out on it.
Maybe it's not nonsense but rather your inability to understand what is being said. ...like saying arm strength is an easy thing to fix. That is not what was said. I said that it was one of the easier things to fix...especially compared to other things a QB will have a harder time fixing... like character/intangibles, smarts, accuracy, athleticism, mobility, height, speed, innate ability to handle pressure, lead.... gifts that you are born with that just can't be taught. Is arm strength an easy fix? No, but it's certainly among one of the easier traits to improve on.

The fact that you're calling bitoni's posts stupid just goes to show that you're again not understanding what he's been trying to say.

Your problem is that you don't know how to have a healthy debate. Instead of arguing the point you end up talking down on people. It makes it appear like you are both mad and mean spirited.

I closed that thread cause it was no longer about Te'o and it wasn't a healthy discussion for this forum. Just immaturity from many involved, including myself.

Last edited by D-Unit : 02-05-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
we could say the same about the QB. there's no hard proof that Geno Smith is better than existing QB's on the roster. Just like there's no proof Joekel is better than Donald Stephenson.

end of the day I just dont see the value of Geno Smith at 1. He's not an RG3 type of prospect.
At the end of the day they need to keep Albert and go forward with him as their LT. If Geno or any other QB is deemed not worth the #1 overall pick, fine so be it, you look at someone else at a different position or if somehow they can, trade out.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A lot of people have been talking nonsense about arm strength not being something QBs can improve in, but these are 2 good points that I can agree with. And as far as physical upside (and even now), I can't deny Smith wins that argument.

Being a QB is much more than having physical gifts though. It's the intangibles that Barkley has that I like more than Smith. Teams with the #1 overall pick don't like settling for prospects with perceived limits. So I don't expect KC to take Barkley in a million years. But I do think he's gonna end up being the better QB in the long run.
Without comparing which one will be the better QB in the long run, how much ceiling do you see Barkley having? 3-5 years from now, who would you compare him to?
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote