Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-03-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love Warmock, Watson, and Jamison in the draft. I hope the flash pick in round two doesn't happen but I can see it. I actually love our slot receiver potential in Beasley and Coale. Watson I agree might be my favorite non-guard prospect. Insane potential but I can see his stock soaring after the combine. Jamison is one of my favorite mid-round RBs although I love Ray Graham more-so :)

Still:

As far as beyond the draft. I think Ronde will probably retire if he doesn't stay in Tampa. Been a heck of a career there I can't imagine him wanting to pack it up and head to Dallas at the extreme twilight of his career. Decent move although are you planning keeping both Sensy and making the move on Ronde?

Ellis and Brown are excellent pickups and Howard would be a option but only if he accepts a low-cost contract.

Lastly LOVE Stewart from A&M. He's got the intelligence to fit right in with our linebacking core.

Good stuff :)

Last edited by D-Unit : 02-04-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2013 Dallas Cowboys Offseason - Part 8 of 8

2013 53 Man Roster

Offense

QB Tony Romo | Kyle Orton

RB DeMarco Murray | Jawan Jamison |Matthew Tucker
FB Lawrence Vickers

WR Dez Bryant | Danny Coale
WR Miles Austin | Dwayne Harris | Zach Rogers
SWR Tavon Austin | Cole Beasley

TE Jason Witten | John Phillips | James Hanna

LT Tyron Smith | Jeremy Parnell
LG Chance Warmack | David Arkin
OC Phil Costa | Ryan Cook
RG Nate Livings | Ron Leary
RT Menelik Watson | Jeremy Parnell

Defense

DE DeMarcus Ware | Cornelius Washington
UT Jay Ratliff | Sedrick Ellis
NT Jason Hatcher | Sean Lissemore
DE Anthony Spencer | Tyrone Crawford

WLB Bruce Carter | Ernie Sims
MLB Sean Lee | Jonathan Stewart
SLB Thomas Howard |Kyle Wilber

CB Brandon Carr | Sterling Moore
CB Morris Claiborne | Sheldon Brown
NB Orlando Scandrick
SS Barry Church | Matt Johnson
FS Ronde Barber | Earl Wolff

Special Teams

K Dan Bailey
P Brian Moorman
LS L.P. Ladouceur
KR Dwayne Harris
PR Tavon Austin

IR Brian Price
NFI Josh Brent

2013 Dallas Cowboys Salary

Offense

Tony Romo - $10,000,000
Kyle Orton - $3,016,667
DeMarco Murray - $810,813
Jason Witten - $8,000,000
Dez Bryant - $3,882,500
Tyron Smith - $3,408,027
Nate Livings - $2,400,000
Miles Austin - $2,400,000
Chance Warmack - $2,197,120
Jeremy Parnell - $1,356,421
Lawrence Vickers - $1,300,000
Ryan Cook - $1,250,000
Phil Costa - $1,000,000
John Phillips - $790,000
Tavon Austin - $734,200
David Arkin - $680,000
Dwayne Harris - $555,000
Menelik Watson - $533,813
James Hanna - $506,213
Jawan Jamison - $499,800
Cole Beasley - $480,000
Ron Leary - $480,000
Danny Coale - $405,000
Matthew Tucker - $390,000
Zach Rogers - $390,000

TOTAL - $47,465,574

Defense

DeMarcus Ware - $12,221,750
Brandon Carr - $8,300,000
Anthony Spencer - $6,000,000
Orlando Scandrick - $3,780,000
Morris Claiborne - $3,696,478
Jay Ratliff - $3,000,000
Ronde Barber - $3,000,000
Jason Hatcher - $2,833,333
Sheldon Brown - $2,000,000
Sedrick Ellis - $1,450,000
Barry Church - $1,323,000
Bruce Carter - $1,273,827
Sean Lissemore - $1,042,150
Thomas Howard - $1,000,000
Sean Lee - $875,000
Ernie Sims - $700,000
Tyrone Crawford - $623,813
Kyle Wilber - $589,800
Josh Brent - $586,887
Matt Johnson - $555,146
Brian Price - $555,000
Sterling Moore - $555,000
Earl Wolff - $437,900
Cornelius Washington - $416,213
Jonathan Stewart - $390,000

TOTAL - $57,205,297

Special Teams

Brian Moorman - $925,000
L.P. Ladouceur - $790,000
Dan Bailey - $555,833

TOTAL: $2,270,833

2013 Dead Money

Doug Free - $2,000,000
Dan Connor - $1,350,000
Mackenzy Bernadeau - $812,000
Gerald Sensabaugh - $750,000
Marcus Spears - $700,000
Danny Coale - $142,539
Shaun Chapas - $28,426
Bill Nagy - $11,475
Levy Adcock - $6,000
Ron Leary - $6,000

TOTAL - $5,806,440

OFFENSE TOTAL - $47,465,574
DEFENSE TOTAL - $57,205,297
SPECIAL TEAMS TOTAL - $2,270,833
DEAD MONEY TOTAL - $5,806,440
TOTAL 2013 SALARY - $112,748,144

2013 NFL SALARY CAP - $121,000,000
2013 DALLAS COWBOYS 2013 SALARY - $112,748,144
2013 DALLAS COWBOYS CAP SPACE - $8,251,856

Conclusion

On offense, Jason Garrett has received an infusion of young, but NFL ready talent through the draft. The Offensive line was bolstered with the addition of 2 upper tier talents by using 2 of our first 3 picks on OL. The running game is no longer a solely dependent on Demarco Murray's health. At WR Romo is fricken loaded with weapons since Miles Austin decided to bite the bullet and take a pay cut. Dez is the unquestioned #1 WR. Dwayne Harris is entering that ever significant "3rd year" and Tavon Austin is the shining cherry on top. He is the perfect type of WR for this offense because he fits what Romo looks for (separation) and he has the game breaking ability to make things happen after the catch. We have playmakers everywhere and an OL to make it happen. We also have quality depth and lots of youth to develop (except at QB - but with college QBs more prepared to start these days, it's not as huge of a concern).

On defense, I felt the need was more necessary to use our Free Agent dollars on that side of the ball because our coaching staff needs players who are already familiar them and can help them make the conversion to the 4-3 more smoothly. You just can't expect the same kind of impact with rookies. Ronde Barber is a Kiffin guy through and through and will be the QB of the secondary to provide instant leadership for the whole defense. Aside from a rejuvination project effort in Sedrick Ellis, the other FAs are mostly there as stop gap solutions as the team fills holes that they are unable to do via the draft. However, that makes this defense more experienced and more ready to compete at a high level, and simultaneously provide leadership and mentoring to the younger players. With many solid veterans playing on defense, that has proven over time as one of the stronger factors that can carry teams deep into the playoffs...all the way to the top!

The key to success is how well this coaching staff can come together and push the right buttons. A big question mark in it's own right.

That was fun! :) If you see anything that looks like a mistake or too unreasonable, please kindly let me know. All comments appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by D-Unit : 02-03-2013 at 06:16 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to D-Unit again.

Love it D! My draft will be different but love your work
Thanks pocketrockets! Anxious to see your mock.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Love Warmock, Watson, and Jamison in the draft. I hope the flash pick in round two doesn't happen but I can see it. I actually love our slot receiver potential in Beasley and Coale. Watson I agree might be my favorite non-guard prospect. Insane potential but I can see his stock soaring after the combine. Jamison is one of my favorite mid-round RBs although I love Ray Graham more-so :)

Still:

As far as beyond the draft. I think Ronde will probably retire if he doesn't stay in Tampa. Been a heck of a career there I can't imagine him wanting to pack it up and head to Dallas at the extreme twilight of his career. Decent move although are you planning keeping both Sensy and making the move on Ronde?

Ellis and Brown are excellent pickups and Howard would be a option but only if he accepts a low-cost contract.

Lastly LOVE Stewart from A&M. He's got the intelligence to fit right in with our linebacking core.

Good stuff :)
Glad to hear you had some thoughts you agreed with. The thought that Ronde would not want to play for another team definitely came across my mind, but I kept thinking about how John Lynch and Warren Sapp were able to move on and with him still playing at a high level, I thought he wouldn't want to play for the Bucs if he didn't believe they were real threats. Joining Monte was the kicker for me. You're probably right, but in the 1% chance he did leave, I think we would be a team he'd have to consider if we pursued him.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'd rather see brown and barber in valley ranch as coaches rather than players, but i can't argue at all with the talent pool from the draft good job there (even though i would smh if jj sacrificed a 2 next year to move to get warmack) but he likes to wheel deal so you never know
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i'd rather see brown and barber in valley ranch as coaches rather than players, but i can't argue at all with the talent pool from the draft good job there (even though i would smh if jj sacrificed a 2 next year to move to get warmack) but he likes to wheel deal so you never know
Is that cause you think Brown and Barber have little left in the tank?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
So that means you like everything else so far? SWEET! lol

It's all good man. Trying to stay within our means and still find decent fits.
I do like the rest

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
2013 Dallas Cowboys Offseason - Part 5 of 8

The Draft

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Draft Recap
-----------------------------------------------------------------

* Player availablity based on nfldraftscout.com's round estimates
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of Austin. I think that Harris is ready to step into the shoes as a #2 and this leaves Austin to come in and compete for the slot position.

Since you gave up a future 2nd round pick, I'm happy with going up to get Warmack.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is that cause you think Brown and Barber have little left in the tank?
basically, at some point i would expect noticeable drop off, barber been effective at safety and brown is seemingly still starting in the league but i think signing those guys and not getting younger player to groom under them is playing russian roulette. especially with brown if he ever got pressed into serious playing time he will get exposed in this division. i just think his best days are behind him

plus the 4th corner figures to be a core special teams player as well not sure brown can handle or would be willing to embrace that role at his age

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 02-04-2013 at 01:21 PM.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
basically, at some point i would expect noticeable drop off, barber been effective at safety and brown is seemingly still starting in the league but i think signing those guys and not getting younger player to groom under them is playing russian roulette. especially with brown if he ever got pressed into serious playing time he will get exposed in this division. i mean he couldn't even cover dwayne harris and that was with romo running for his life most of that game, imagine if he could set his feet

plus the 4th corner figures to be a core special teams player as well not sure brown can handle or would be willing to embrace that role at his age
Both were stop gap solutions. I think Carr and Claiborne are young enough that I didn't need to invest in a pick to necessarily "groom" someone. Perhaps in 2014 or UDFA could produce someone like that. Cheap FA pick ups are always out there, but Barber and Brown provide more that experience that I think would be a criticial part of solidifying the defense.

Brown played over 900 snaps and still rated out pretty high last season, so even though he might've struggled versus Harris, I think that was just a small sample size. Would be a good mentor behind Claiborne and is only needed to provide pot help.

But basically, I tried to find guys that are familiar with our coaching staff and would fit the scheme and what we're trying to do. Cause I think that tends to be a strong factor when you look at the history of the league and how free agents tend to make decisions.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The last thing we should be doing is giving up 2nd rd picks. We're not 1 player away.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
The last thing we should be doing is giving up 2nd rd picks. We're not 1 player away.
Thanks for the response. I agree with you.

But let me defend anyways... In that case it wasn't my mindset that it was something we "should" do, but it was something I could see Garrett doing. If he fails next season he won't be caring much about that lost 2nd rounder.

...and we weren't 1 player away last year when we traded our 2nd rounder to get Claiborne. You know Jerry just LOVED the attention that that move got him last year. Grinning from ear to ear. They all were and they loved capturing the draft headlines too.

If he can do a similar thing, I think it's within reason he might do it again. Is there a player we need more in the draft other than Warmack? I don't think so. Do you?

Anything you like about the mock?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

But let me defend anyways... In that case it wasn't my mindset that it was something we "should" do, but it was something I could see Garrett doing. If he fails next season he won't be caring much about that lost 2nd rounder.

...and we weren't 1 player away last year when we traded our 2nd rounder to get Claiborne. You know Jerry just LOVED the attention that that move got him last year. Grinning from ear to ear. They all were and they loved capturing the draft headlines too.

If he can do a similar thing, I think it's within reason he might do it again. Is there a player we need more in the draft other than Warmack? I don't think so. Do you?

Big difference between trading up for the best defensive player in the draft and trading up for a guard though, right? if anything I'd be looking to trade down unless somebody slides

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First off, I don't understand the cap thing. Every time I try my head starts to hurt. Very impressed with you guys that do. But it was interesting to me that I was listening to Norm on the ticket the other day, and he made it sound as if there was a way for the the boys to come up with something like $16 mill to spend in free agency. I don't know cause I don't understand it, but I know that he does.

Now to D-Unit. I always feel uncomfortable pointing out things that I differ on you with, but. There were several things I didn't like.

#1 I would not cut Tanner. I think he is serviceable.

#2 I would not sign Thomas Howard or Ronde Barber. Barber will slow down sometime very soon. I don't want him when he does, and it may be now. As for Howard, I just don't see him making a difference in any way. Not a horrible signing, but just meh.

#3 Sheldon Brown. I don't see a place for him at all, not to mention he has not impressed me in a while. I just don't get it. CB is not a spot that I think needs to be tinkered with. I thought we did that last year? This seems right in line with what we always do. Address a position, then address it over and over and over...

#4 Here is my big one. I know that you said it is not what you would do but what you think might happen. Because it makes no sense, you probably nailed it though. Drafting Tavon Austin in the second? Really? So we can't find a starter in the draft in the second round? And we draft a position of strength? I hate this pick when there are offensive line guys that might start. We know Tavon Austin won't. Correct or not? There is no way we draft three OL in a row, I know this. But that is exactly what we should do. Tony is older, we will have to address QB soon, and our rb's will never have a chance to show what they can do until we fix that stupid line.

#5 Probably the only guy that doesn't want to cut Sensebaugh on the entire forum, but cutting him and adding Barber seems like a step in the old direction to me.

#6 I am not so sure Jonathan Stewart won't get drafted.

As far as your draft, you nailed it. I absolutely loved each pick, with the sole exception of Tavon Austin. I just don't see where he would bring that much. I just don't see us as being good enough to draft luxury picks in the second.

At the end of the day, I feel that OL is most important area in football. Some disagree, and I respect that. But ours is broken. We can fix it now for five years and draft sexy players for a long time. It would be a boring draft this year, but wouldn't it be nice?

One more final thought. I loved the Sedrick Ellis signing. That is the exact type of signings we should make. Still has potential if he can figure things out, low risk.

All in all, very solid, as I knew you would be. But these are my individual issues with an otherwise good offseason.

But know if this is what we do, we are talking about OL next year. Do you really want to do that again?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 02-04-2013 at 10:03 PM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I got you, this franchise loves to make flashy moves. I think Warmack may fall enough where we can actually pick him at 18 or get him for 3rd or 4th. We shall see. I actually like the Austin pick, I am not sold on going into 2013 with the 3rd WR slot up in the air, especially with how often Miles gets hurt. Depending on how we address the DL in free agency, I'd be more than happy getting a 3rd WR with one of our top picks in the draft.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Big difference between trading up for the best defensive player in the draft and trading up for a guard though, right? if anything I'd be looking to trade down unless somebody slides
Many people are calling Warmack the safest player in the draft and a Top 5 talent. Recognizing he won't be a top 5 pick, I still think he is the best player for us in the whole draft.

It is a bigger cost giving up a 2nd rounder in this draft versus giving up a 2nd rounder in next year's draft. So there's that for you to consider as well. If this team does really well, that 2nd rounder will be much lower in the round.

One thing I tried to do with this mock was lean more towards things being difficult for us to accomplish than easy to accomplish. I didn't want a mock that sided on the "too good to be true" motto. I would love to have said, giving up a future 3rd or 4th rounder to get Warmack would've been enough... but inside I wouldn't be honest with myself.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
First off, I don't understand the cap thing. Every time I try my head starts to hurt. Very impressed with you guys that do. But it was interesting to me that I was listening to Norm on the ticket the other day, and he made it sound as if there was a way for the the boys to come up with something like $16 mill to spend in free agency. I don't know cause I don't understand it, but I know that he does.

Now to D-Unit. I always feel uncomfortable pointing out things that I differ on you with, but. There were several things I didn't like.

#1 I would not cut Tanner. I think he is serviceable.

#2 I would not sign Thomas Howard or Ronde Barber. Barber will slow down sometime very soon. I don't want him when he does, and it may be now. As for Howard, I just don't see him making a difference in any way. Not a horrible signing, but just meh.

#3 Sheldon Brown. I don't see a place for him at all, not to mention he has not impressed me in a while. I just don't get it. CB is not a spot that I think needs to be tinkered with. I thought we did that last year? This seems right in line with what we always do. Address a position, then address it over and over and over...

#4 Here is my big one. I know that you said it is not what you would do but what you think might happen. Because it makes no sense, you probably nailed it though. Drafting Tavon Austin in the second? Really? So we can't find a starter in the draft in the second round? And we draft a position of strength? I hate this pick when there are offensive line guys that might start. We know Tavon Austin won't. Correct or not? There is no way we draft three OL in a row, I know this. But that is exactly what we should do. Tony is older, we will have to address QB soon, and our rb's will never have a chance to show what they can do until we fix that stupid line.

#5 Probably the only guy that doesn't want to cut Sensebaugh on the entire forum, but cutting him and adding Barber seems like a step in the old direction to me.

#6 I am not so sure Jonathan Stewart won't get drafted.

As far as your draft, you nailed it. I absolutely loved each pick, with the sole exception of Tavon Austin. I just don't see where he would bring that much. I just don't see us as being good enough to draft luxury picks in the second.

At the end of the day, I feel that OL is most important area in football. Some disagree, and I respect that. But ours is broken. We can fix it now for five years and draft sexy players for a long time. It would be a boring draft this year, but wouldn't it be nice?

One more final thought. I loved the Sedrick Ellis signing. That is the exact type of signings we should make. Still has potential if he can figure things out, low risk.

All in all, very solid, as I knew you would be. But these are my individual issues with an otherwise good offseason.

But know if this is what we do, we are talking about OL next year. Do you really want to do that again?
Thanks for taking the time to comment on the mock HH! Your thoughts are always welcomed.

I'll try to comment back on your thoughts.

On Tanner:
The one thing that sticks out to me is that when Murray went down this season, our entire running game went to the crapper. Felix couldn't stay healthy himself and then neither Dunbar and Tanner could really step up and carry the load. I don't want RBs who don't step up when their number is called. He made me a fan in the preseason with his nifty flashes, but I don't really see a lot of substance there.

What are your thoughts on the 3rd RB I added via UDFA in TCU's Matthew Tucker?

On Howard:
I agree that he is just a meh signing. But he has been a tackle machine when healthy and most of all... he came cheap! He has near prototype size you look for in a SLB and he has experience. Obvious stop gap solution. Didn't want to spend a top pick on SLB because what if Kyle Wilber can be that guy? I only wanted to find a cheap stop gap guy and since Howard is a Texas guy, I liked the possibility of him joining us for cheap.

On Barber:
Like Parcells brought in Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson, Ryan Anderson, Dan Campbell, Jason Ferguson, Aaron Glenn, etc... it wasn't so much for their longevity but for their understanding of how Parcells runs things, their ability to help install his system, their readiness to play and their influence on teammates. Barber could certainly hit the wall this year. But he does know Kiffin's defense and could provide all those things I just mentioned. It'd be nice to have someone Kiffin could lean on as we transition. Barber did defy the odds last year as he had a legitimately worthy Pro Bowl season.

On Brown:
Maybe he was a bad suggestion, but again, I looked at another veteran who was familiar with the staff (in this case DB coach Jerome Henderson) and a guy who won't be commanding a huge salary. Henderson himself has said that Brown was influential to Joe Haden's development. He's the total pro who helped him on and off the field. My thought process was that he would be able to help Claiborne in a similar way. Kind of surprised at the rise this suggestion has gotten from you and others. Especially as a cheap FA depth guy. Brown plays a physical brand of football and the one thing said about Tampa 2 corners... is that they don't need to be great cover guys, but they do need to be able to jam at the line, deliver big hits and be good tacklers. That has been the definition of Brown in his career. ...oh and PFF rated him near the top of their ratings for FA CBs based on last year's play. #4 overall I believe.

On Austin:
If you followed the story carefully, in the beginning Miles Austin wasn't playing Mr. Nice Guy as far as being willing to redo his contract. I think that's reasonable to expect. The Cowboys may ultimately have to cut him. He's not worth the big money that his pay check will currently give him. A lot of people are talking about him needing to restructure, but I think we need more than that. I think we need to readjust his pay and give him less.

One way to build leverage is to show Miles that we are willing to move on without him. Miles has been our main slot guy, and by drafting Tavon, that will be a clear sign that the Cowboys are willing to move on past Miles. If he wants to stay with us great, but he'll need to take a big pay cut. That's what I'm hoping happens.

Lastly, I really do feel like Jason Garrett is gonna go heavy on the offensive side in this year's draft. His neck is clearly on the line. ...and Tavon would definitely not be used sparingly if we drafted him... starter or non starter. The guy is a game breaker.

On Stewart:
As stated, I used the draft round availability based on what nfldraftscout.com predicts. They are generally good at it. I won't be surprised if he was drafted, but I tried to find some gems in UDFA with Texas ties as we would have a possible lean our way from them.

On the OL:
I DEFINITELY agree with you that our OL needs help. But there's no way I would've mocked us going OL with our first 3 picks. I thought 2 out of 3 was the best I could do. Not sure how you say that if this is all we do on the OL, that we'll be doing the same thing next year. Adding Warmack and Watson should help a lot. If Costa fails then we'll know for sure about him, but I really think the team is still high on him. Livings got better as the year progressed and finished the season above my expectations. I really was not digging his signing at first. Hopefully Arkin and Leary can develop into something. ...and I like Parnell as our long term solution as Swing Tackle.

Again, thanks for the comments HH! +rep! Gave me a chance to expand on my thoughts!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I got you, this franchise loves to make flashy moves. I think Warmack may fall enough where we can actually pick him at 18 or get him for 3rd or 4th. We shall see. I actually like the Austin pick, I am not sold on going into 2013 with the 3rd WR slot up in the air, especially with how often Miles gets hurt. Depending on how we address the DL in free agency, I'd be more than happy getting a 3rd WR with one of our top picks in the draft.
Thanks. What do you think about what I said about the pick... in that Tavon fits what Romo likes out of his WRs... "SEPARATION". I felt like there were times the last few seasons where too many times Romo favored dumping the ball off to our #3 WR in favor of throwing to our more bigger, physical WRs in 1 on 1 coverage.

Part of it I think is that he's too afraid of trusting our guys to beat the defender for the ball.. part of it that he's afraid of throwing a pick... and part of it, is that he'd just rather throw to the guy who is the most open (can't fault him for that). Too many times we we're left wondering why Romo doesn't target Dez.. or Austin... but there is something in Romo's head that does that.

Laurent Robinson made a killing off this Romo habit. So I thought that in the perfect world, if Romo is gonna want a WR, that he'd want a guy who can create separation to get open for him, and then have the playmaking ability to get yards after the catch. I thought about the big 6'4 Justin Hunter there.. with the Dooley connection, but then I told myself... Romo doesn't even favor throwing to guys like him. Between the 6'4 Andre Holmes and the 5'8 Cole Beasley... Beasley won out.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is an update to my prior post. Here are my thoughts as of today. Full breakdown of possible FA targets and Draft targets.

Offseason Thoughts

FA Options

FA Signings
NT Roy Miller - Miller was part of that terrible defense we saw last year in Tampa Bay. However I remember scouting Miller he's still young and he had some impressive numbers coming out. At 6'2 320lbs he has the size to play the 1 tech. He has been dealing with some injuries the past couple of years...with a clean bill of health he could be our starting NT for 2013. He shouldn't cost much a 4 year deal for 16 mil??
Backup Plan: Shaun Cody, Tyson Jackson

S Charles Woodson - Woodson is due 10m this year. GB is looking to give new deals to Arod, Mathews and Raji. At 37 years old he'd be coming to dallas to finish his career. He is a game changer and would be a good veteran signing to add some veteran leadership to the safety role. This would also make Sensy expendable imo so you could get some money back to help sign Woodson. 2 year deal worth 10-12m might be what it takes and I think it's worth it if you take a look who is out there.
Backup Plan: Pat Chung, Glover Quin, Chris Clemons, Quintin Mikell, LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell

LDE Robert Geathers - I am not sure if this is a need or not I think a guy like Crawford or Albright might be able to handle this spot..but I'd like to sure it up with someone who can stop the run. Reminds me of a Red Bryant signing last year by the Seahawks. Not going to generate lots of stats but is solid against the run and the pass. Think insurance policy. 3 year deal worth 18m. That might not be enough for a DE but with guys like Spencer, Kruger, and Avril potentially all on the market he shouldn't be a first tier DE to go.
Backup Plan: Calvin Pace would be an option but not sure it's even worth the contract since he's coming from a 3-4...could just slow progression if he can't earn starting role.

WR/TE Anquan Boldin - Boldin is 32 years old and is due 6 million this year. If he doesn't restructure he is the guy I want to bring in on offense. His production in the red zone doesn't look to be slowing down and he wouldn't need to play a big role here. Help Tony and the offense put up more TD's in the red zone. He's esentially to me a 2nd TE to split wide. I'd give him a 3 year deal around $12m.
Backup Plan: Dustin Keller might be someone to look at. Hannah looked good at the end of the year but our coaching staff sure didn't do a good job selling him to us. Keller would give us another TE to stretch the field and put pressure on the middle of the field. He'd be the Hernadez and Witten the Gronk. Food for thought. I don't think WR is a need but if Boldin were to be cut by the Ravens i think it'd make a lot of sense to bring him in to use him in the red zone. Plus Miles/Dez aren't guarantees to make it through the year anyways. Nice safety net that wouldn't prohibit development of the other guys since they play different roles.

RB Javon Ringer - Ringer is coming off of a in which he didn't play 3/4 of last season. Had a MCL sprain. If he is available he'd be a nice short yardage guy and add a different dimension from Dunbar. Tanner would be replaced by Ringer in this scenario. Not sure what it'd take to sign him...but a 2-3 year deal in the 7-9m range might be enough for a RB coming off a knee injury. He had a pretty good year in 2011.
Backup Plan: Shonn Greene is another name that I like because he's reliable and can play a role here.

SLB - I didn't address this in FA because I don't really feel like there is enough money to go to this position even though I like some names in FA.
Backup Plan: If we do go this direction these names make sense. Rocky McIntosh is a name I like...might not be a great fit but wouldn't have to play a lot of passing downs so could just play base packages. Daryl Smith from Jax is another option but like I said above...not sure we want to invest FA money in SLB if we address needs like we did above. I feel like if we don't add a Safety in FA we could add SLB. Philip Wheeler out of Oakland would be a great fit but he's suppose to be their #2 target to get resigned this offseason.

I always like to start off looking at the weight of the draft. Find which positions we can find later vs. what positions we need to address earlier.

Draft Prospects per our Needs

Draft Picks
1 - Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
Other Options: Richardson, Floyd, Warmack, Cooper, Johnson, Ansah
2 - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
Other Options: Sylvester Williams, Spence, Fluker, Elam, Cyprien, Warford, B Jones, Thomas, Frederick, Carradine, J Williams,
3 - Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida Internation
Other Options: J Hill, E Reid, Gholston, Catapano, Taylor, Brandon Williams, Mills, Long
4 - Khaled Holmes, C, USC
Other Options: David Quessenberry, Phillip Thomas, Jamar Taylor, Brian Schwenke, Robert Alford
5 - Earl Watford, OG, James Madison
6036, 300 and 5.10: Excellent body control, balance and coordination combined so that he could adjust to block a moving target with remarkable ease out in space. Quick out of stance to set to block, Watford can “get a good fit,” kept feet moving and could keep man pinned on LOS in pass pro. Perhaps most impressive was Watford’s ability to re-set and anchor when he was jolted backwards initially by power rusher. Watford is not likely to be a high draft pick, but after what I observed in Tampa I am confident that he will develop into a quality starting guard in time.
6 - D.C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers
A former quarterback, Jefferson didn't show the expected progression at tight end throughout his Rutgers career (only 47 catches in 50 career collegiate games), but the raw skills are intriguing. And he flashed his talented skill-set during practices, showing off his large, athletic frame and proving to be an imposing target downfield and a physical blocker. Jefferson is still unpolished in several areas, but he showed this week why he's an interesting developmental player and worth a draft pick on the draft's third day.
7 - Ryan Griffin, QB, Tulane
Griffin has been one of the most impressive prospects on either roster during Shrine game practices this past week. Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com said that Griffin separated himself as "the best arm in Allen this week," showing a quick release and good zip on his passes. He still needs to improve his downfield accuracy and timing, but as a late-round pick he would have a lot of upside.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mock Offseason: Version 2.0 (3.0 will be post-combine):

Using the same roster cost cutting moves listed in my original mock unless listed otherwise. If someone is not listed in the 53 assume they were cut. Going VERY light in free agency and envisioning us eating as much of the cap penalties this season rather than pushing into the next.

Won't dive super deep into the numbers but envision that I did a thorough budget and only pushed cap hits after June 1st if necessary to complete what I did below.

:) After the combine I promise to do a super thorough projection with the cap again.

Cuts differing from original
Gerald Sensabaugh: Dallas moves on from Sensy as his fit in the scheme is highly questionable and the team plans to immediately fill his starting role in the opening days of free agency.

FREE AGENCY
Glover Quin - If the Texans let him go keeping him in-state would be a coup. Hard-nosed and with serious range the converted CB would bring energy to the back-end of the secondary for the first time in a while.

Jason Smith (cut by the Jets) - Reasonable salary with roster bonuses and escalators next year based on playing time. Aka if Parnell loses out the battle and Smith plays well he gets paid nicely and gets to play close to home. If not he's making commiserate value of a swing tackle.

Resign Phil Costa: Low level RFA tender

Resign L.P. Ladouceur: One of the best long-snappers in the game. Never hear his name called which is high praise for the position.

NFL DRAFT

Highlights are within spoilers to keep the size down.

1) Johnathan Cooper, OG, UNC
Incredibly athletic and would be spoken about as the "best guard prospect in years" if not for Chance Warmack. His initial punch is jarring and his footwork is rediculous for a big-man. Perfect fit for the athletic line Garrett seems to be building and will be a monster on pulling, traps, and any play asking him to get to the 2nd level.

2) Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
Stout and absolutely thick through the lower half. Best image I can conjure for him would be a human-wrecking ball. His stock is a rollercoaster at the moment with various projections putting him as early as our 1st pick or into the late 2nd. If he's here it's a lock.

If Short doesn't make it to this pick which I think is likely, if a run on DTs occurs, I would push for a trade down before taking someone like Sylvester Williams (late 2nd-early 3rd) or Bennie Logan (mid 3rd - early 4th).

3) Cornellius Carradine, DE, FSU
ACL tear ruined the momentum he had during the season. Strong lower body with chiseled frame. Very raw with his pass rush moves only notable counter he has to his bull-rush would be the swim to the outside. Projecting him to play a part on passing downs but his ball-watching and getting washed out of play will need to stop before stepping into the starting lineup.

4) Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers
Both D and I love this guy. As far as a scouting report it reads exactly like another Rutgers alum: Ray Rice. Great hands, tough runner despite size, and much more elusive than he looks.

5) Michael Mauti, LB, PSU
Multiple ACL tears drop his stock. Sean Lee type instincts and team leader. We love injured LBs and Mauti has huge potential and is injured.

6) DeVonte Holloman, OLB, South Carolina
Converted SS at SC who should be a lock for an elite special teamer. Will need to work on shedding blocks if he wants to see the field but has all the tools you want from a SLB in the "Dallas-2" scheme.

Primary UDFA:
Jeff Tuel, QB, Washington State
Tuel has excellent measureables but never managed to fully put it together. His durability is a major question mark due to his propensity for watching games from the sidelines. That being said he would make an excellent developmental QB.

Ryan Griffin, TE, Connecticut
Projected to be the 4th TE and has a chance to make the 53 based on special teams play and ability to block. Griffin is an active and able blocker more committed seemingly than some of his UCONN teammates. Has the size and ability to be a large red zone target as well.

Mike Catapano, DE, Princeton
Garrett tabs a fellow Princeton alum as a developmental defensive end as the team moves to the 4-3 scheme.

Dustin Harris, CB, Texas A&M
Local product flashed potential (projecting ;) ) in the 2013 Dallas Days is battling for a shot as the teams 4th/5th corner.

PROJECTED LINEUP

Last edited by Trogdor : 02-09-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is my retort to D-Unit. Once again, I admit that I often miss...

As far as Matthew Tucker-I love it. Very Nice.

On Thomas Howard. I am good with him, except I thought Ernie Simms was pretty good last year. All things considered, I think he was way better than what I was expecting.

On Phillip Tanner. You are 100% right on his production. But I like him for some reason, and I really can't justify it at all.

On Barber. Your points are very good. You maybe on to something. I just think he is too old. I fear the fall with him.

On OL. You did have them drafting OL in the first and third, and that is more than I expect the boys to do. But I think they lack more than just new starters. I think they lack competition at their positions. I would like to see new, good starters with guys behind them that can compete for the job. If anyone goes down, we are in trouble. Warmack and Watson would be great, but I still think it leaves the starting OL wanting. Not to mention the backups. I probably went a little over the top, saying that with your offseason we would be drafting OL again next year. But the fact is I still don't think this would fix the OL completely. If I were running the team I would fix it now. I am tired of watching them get beat with a three man rush. Even my wife asked me why "Five cowboys cant block 3 on the other team" this year. She knows nothing about football, but still saw our offensive linemen getting walked around.

And as for Thule-You and I are usually on the same page. I love your posts. And I do love the off season moves that you laid out. But I did not like your draft. Combining your off season with your draft, you barely address OL at all. Can you really see us being much better without bringing in new starts on OL?

I say we need new starts on OL and new competition. Needless to say, I saw a line that could not compete this year.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 02-10-2013 at 01:15 AM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trog- I really like where you went with your mock, especially with unspectacular but high ceiling free agents in Quin and Smith. I think a lot of the guys in your mock are going to be risers IMO. Short was very impressive at the senior bowl and trimmed all of the excess weight that caused inconsistency at times. If his combine numbers are solid he will easily be a mid first round pick. I also heard some rumblings that some teams may gamble on Tank Carradine's injury earlier then you would expect for a player who won't be ready to play opening day. I am huge on Jaimison, he is a great player who doesn't get enough credit because he doesn't have prototypical size/speed. I felt he would be available in the 4th due to this perception but Scouts might come around. Todd Mcshay has a second round grade on him at this point. Do you know anything about this Mike Catapano kid? Has his own hype thread on the draft forum with some kid stating he is going to blow up his pro day.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Trog- I really like where you went with your mock, especially with unspectacular but high ceiling free agents in Quin and Smith. I think a lot of the guys in your mock are going to be risers IMO. Short was very impressive at the senior bowl and trimmed all of the excess weight that caused inconsistency at times. If his combine numbers are solid he will easily be a mid first round pick. I also heard some rumblings that some teams may gamble on Tank Carradine's injury earlier then you would expect for a player who won't be ready to play opening day. I am huge on Jaimison, he is a great player who doesn't get enough credit because he doesn't have prototypical size/speed. I felt he would be available in the 4th due to this perception but Scouts might come around. Todd Mcshay has a second round grade on him at this point. Do you know anything about this Mike Catapano kid? Has his own hype thread on the draft forum with some kid stating he is going to blow up his pro day.
Hey W4HOF, didn't you say you had a mock offseason? Would love to see it.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Agreed on the high risers I really try not to pick guys whom I don't see as being available but it's really hard to ignore a guy whose value IMHO is much higher than his current stock. I used a combination of my own opinion, CBS, Optimum, NFP, Scott, and a few other random sources to generate a consensus and then picked players BELOW even that stock. I can't imagine Tank being a 3rd rounder to be honest but the consensus had him as a late 3rd so I took him mid-3rd. The plethora of talented defensive ends means someone is going to slip. I wouldn't be mad to even reach a bit for someone like say David Bass from Missouri Western who is tagged as a 5th round but I imagine his stock will climb before the draft.

As far as Short I love him as a prospect but his stock is volatile due to the presence of Star, Richardson, Floyd, Jesse Williams, Hankins, Jenkins, Brandon Williams, Sylvester Williams, etc. A lot of talented DTs in the draft although narrowing to 3-techs in this draft is a slightly easier task. That's not even including one guy I think that will skyrocket between now and the draft which is Bennie Logan. CBS has him as a 4th, DraftScout has him as a late 4th, Optimum just bumped him from a 5th to a 2nd within the last week. He's excellent at shooting gaps and keeps himself low and drives with power.

I think you can find a 3-tech in this draft without spending your top pick for one. I'll take Cooper (or whomever is the top OG prospect available) & Logan or Sylvester Williams later over whoever is the top 3-tech at 18 and then best available OG.

We actually picked a hell of a draft to need a 3-tech and S. Both positions are absolutely STACKED.

Mike Catapano is a bit of an enigma. He flashes huge potential and then he disappears. He's much more of an athlete than a football player but he certainly dominates lesser competition. I don't buy the 2nd round talk from McShay but I really don't respect his opinion especially at this stage anyhow. I honestly think he'll be a mid rounder after showing off at the combine but once again was using current stock as a basis of my mock. Post-combine should settle some of the dust and at least give us some tiers to work with.

Keep in mind with Catapano he was a 220lb fullback when he came to Princeton so he is incredibly raw for the position. He will put on a show during workouts though.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Free Agency
After restructuring and some releases, the Cowboys should have enough room to sign one major free agent and a few minor ones.
Henry Melton, DT, 6-3/295 Age 26

James Casey, FB/TE,6-3/243 Age 28

Patrick Chung, S, 5-11/212 Age 25
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=...pg&w=384&h=216

Draft
1(18) - Traded to Buffalo for their 2nd(41) and their 2014 1st.
2A(41) - Giovani Bernard, RB, 5-10/205 North Carolina

2B(47) - Khaseem Greene, OLB, 6-1/236 Rutgers

3(80) - Cornellius Carradine, DE, 6-4/265 Florida State

4(111) - Brian Winters, G/T, 6-4/310 Kent State

5(144) - JJ Wilcox, S, 5-11/214 Georgia Southern

6(175) - Michael Williams,TE, 6-6/269 Alabama
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote