Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
If the chose Guards are gone, Spencer is resigned and Vaccarro is starring at us, I find it hard to believe we don't go after him if we cannot trade back for value.
would you take vacarro over lane johnson, sheldon richardson, alec ogletree, i wouldn't. i like vacarro but imo if we can find players at the front end of the defense that make play and wreck offense upfront it would take ALOT of pressure off the back end
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
cutting sensabaugh would not be a wise move b/c he'll cost almost $4 million in dead money against the cap
How is this explained?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
would you take vacarro over lane johnson, sheldon richardson, alec ogletree, i wouldn't. i like vacarro but imo if we can find players at the front end of the defense that make play and wreck offense upfront it would take ALOT of pressure off the back end
I don't know if Vacarro suits a Cover 2 Safety, the system likes Safties who can cover a lot of ground so they can protect half the field. However, make no mistake, a Cover 2 defense requires excellent Safeties even more so than excellent CB's. The defense can get away with average CB's but not average Safeties because the CB's are asked to play zone an awful lot. I cannot for the life of me understand why Jerry Jones would spend all that money on Carr and Claiborne and then switch to a Cover 2 defense. It makes zero sense to me.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
How is this explained?
actually i went to spotrac i looked at the cap hit from 2013, but i was wrong i forgot only the signing bonus is guaranteed but in the end, cutting sensabaugh saves less than $1 million so i wouldn't be worth creating another hole at safety especially considering there is nobody else on the roster who you can count on
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I don't know if Vacarro suits a Cover 2 Safety, the system likes Safties who can cover a lot of ground so they can protect half the field. However, make no mistake, a Cover 2 defense requires excellent Safeties even more so than excellent CB's. The defense can get away with average CB's but not average Safeties because the CB's are asked to play zone an awful lot. I cannot for the life of me understand why Jerry Jones would spend all that money on Carr and Claiborne and then switch to a Cover 2 defense. It makes zero sense to me.
any decent safety in the nfl can play cover 2, in fact most teams play cover 2 or 2 man under on passing downs, b/c you have two deep safeties to take away the deep ball outside. it doesn't take a whole lot of range to play a cover 2

the db's don't make the defense work, it having rangy linebacker who can TACKLE and most importantly a front four who can rush the passer. back when TB won a super alot of teams tried to copy that style of defense, but few team had a warren sapp, anthony mcfarland, and simeon rice. alot have scrapped it b/c if you can't get pressure consistenly with four, the zone expands and there are big holes in it. when you have a good/great pass rush there the only place to get rid of the ball in underneath in the middle of the field and all you have to do it tackle the ballcarrier
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
actually i went to spotrac i looked at the cap hit from 2013, but i was wrong i forgot only the signing bonus is guaranteed but in the end, cutting sensabaugh saves less than $1 million so i wouldn't be worth creating another hole at safety especially considering there is nobody else on the roster who you can count on
Yeah only the SB is guaranteed and that is $750K in each of the next 3 years. While his base salary is $3M in 2013 alone. So if we cut him, how are we only saving $1M? Why not $3M?

The SB is prorated. It's not a one time up front payment that counts against our current cap. That's part of why we carry dead weight in future years.

His salary: Year, Base, SB, Total Cap hit
2013 3,000,000 750,000 - 3,750,000
2014 4,000,000 750,000 - 4,750,000
2015 4,000,000 750,000 - 4,750,000
2016 6,500,000 - - 6,500,000

edit: I know where we're going wrong. I'm talking about a June 1st cut. You're talking about an immediate cut.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Round 1 an d2

I think it should boil down to what we really need when it comes down to address our round 1 and round 2 picks. It is 3 months away and the more I see mock drafts and the board the more I see like every year we will have a player there that we want. Remember the draft doesn't follow the big board since many teams are going with BPA and which position they need to add. When the night comes..i have a feeling that will be there or within reach if we want him. I also think one of the top DL will be there as so a safety. In my opinion..i am no expert at all...I think Dallas needs to just get the OL STUD and be done with it.That is our weakness and u can' wait it round 2 and 3 and 4 to get a OL..that will grow ( the last couple of guys we drafted). I like the safety vaccarro, but I don't think that position has such an emphasis such as the DL or OL. I think we can get a solid S in round 2 or 3 plus we have a rookie we picked up last year that they expect to play.

One thing to remember if you pick and stockpile at a particular position..you will need to cut somebody and u have to remember cap cuts play a role for every team.

I think we go OL and or DL in round 1. I think we need a DT in round 2 and we can get the safety to complete in round 3.

Their will be some wildcard in the draft like aways.... we always fall in love with certain players and than we get mad because we don't pick them and cry wolf...and that player never becomes a star....We have all done it.

I just want JJ to pick solid players......and stop again picking projects.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

I think that Jerry will try to make another splash move. Just like last year, he will trade up for a "big piece" to add to the defense.

This year, I think he will be targeting an explosive edge rusher for the new Tampa-2. I could see him trading up for a Jarvis Jones, or a Damontre Moore to play opposite Ware.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:21 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
I think that Jerry will try to make another splash move. Just like last year, he will trade up for a "big piece" to add to the defense.

This year, I think he will be targeting an explosive edge rusher for the new Tampa-2. I could see him trading up for a Jarvis Jones, or a Damontre Moore to play opposite Ware.
I don't see this at all. I feel were going to make every effort to resign Spencer and if we don't resign him we will franchise tag him.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the word on Sam Montgomery? Seems like he's starting to creep up mock draft boards.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post

I don't see us trading up to get Damontre Moore, but Jarvis Jones is interesting. There is a chance teams go cold on him because of his injury history, and this could cause him to slide down the board. I could see us potentially trading up for but just a few spots, maybe pick 15 at the highest.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
What's the word on Sam Montgomery? Seems like he's starting to creep up mock draft boards.
I think we gotta consider him an option if Spencer is not gonna be resigned and Warmack is off the board.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
I don't see us trading up to get Damontre Moore, but Jarvis Jones is interesting. There is a chance teams go cold on him because of his injury history, and this could cause him to slide down the board. I could see us potentially trading up for but just a few spots, maybe pick 15 at the highest.
Yeah, Moore will go too high.

Jarvis may indeed reach 18 if you look around some places.

I would love it and not look back! I fell in love with Jarvis Jones this season. We could play him like the Broncos play Von Miller. LB/DE.. That is one sexy beast! Definitely worth trading up for depending on the cost.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think we gotta consider him an option if Spencer is not gonna be resigned and Warmack is off the board.
Would you take Montgomery over Cooper?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Would you take Montgomery over Cooper?
Did we keep Spencer or not? Did we make any OL additions in FA?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Did we keep Spencer or not? Did we make any OL additions in FA?
Spencer resigned and no IL signed.

Oh and Vaccaro is off the board.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Spencer resigned and no IL signed.

Oh and Vaccaro is off the board.
If Spencer is resigned then I'm not looking at DE until the later rounds.

I'd be happy with Cooper... and I'd take Cooper ahead of Vaccaro too. Safety class is too deep.

I might go with something like this:

If Spencer is resigned.

1. Warmack
2. Fluker
3. Jarvis Jones
4. Cooper
5. Short

If Spencer is not resigned.

1. Warmack
2. Fluker
3. Jones
4. Ansah or Montgomery (undecided between the 2)

I've actually started to lean more towards Fluker lately over Cooper. What do you guys think?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
arub4
Rookie

arub4 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 2nd round pick

what do you guys think about drafting OLB Gerald Hodges from penn state in the second round? He has a lot of experience playing the strong side in the 4-3 and i think it could make our linebackers the best in the league going forward
arub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Spencer is resigned then I'm not looking at DE until the later rounds.

I'd be happy with Cooper... and I'd take Cooper ahead of Vaccaro too. Safety class is too deep.

I might go with something like this:

If Spencer is resigned.

1. Warmack
2. Fluker
3. Jarvis Jones
4. Cooper
5. Short

If Spencer is not resigned.

1. Warmack
2. Fluker
3. Jones
4. Ansah or Montgomery (undecided between the 2)

I've actually started to lean more towards Fluker lately over Cooper. What do you guys think?
I know Broaddus is in love with Fluker. He said he sees Flozell Adams. Nothing wrong with having Smith on one side and a Flo clone on the other side.

I would be ok with OT in the first because I think there will be some immediate starters for the interior OL in the middle rounds.

Obviously, we're handicapped by trying to decide which way to go without the knowledge of what we can and will do in FA.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arub4 View Post
what do you guys think about drafting OLB Gerald Hodges from penn state in the second round? He has a lot of experience playing the strong side in the 4-3 and i think it could make our linebackers the best in the league going forward
Welcome to our forum arub. I don't know if Hodges has the value of a 2nd rounder, but I haven't really followed him closely. Sell us on the idea! :)
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I know Broaddus is in love with Fluker. He said he sees Flozell Adams. Nothing wrong with having Smith on one side and a Flo clone on the other side.

I would be ok with OT in the first because I think there will be some immediate starters for the interior OL in the middle rounds.

Obviously, we're handicapped by trying to decide which way to go without the knowledge of what we can and will do in FA.
I actually like Fluker at OG more than Tackle. I think the knock on him that he struggles in space versus speed rushers is true. That's why I used to have more of a 2nd/3rd round tag on him during the season. But some have flirted with the talk of him at Guard and that has me really thinking. He could be DOMINANT.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arub4 View Post
As a PSU alum I'd say his stock should not be in the 2nd. He is a nice fit for someone looking to keep him at his current size as he isn't going to be doing any measurable bulking up with his frame. He certainly has the pop and athleticism to be a rangy LB but I don't see him as a day 2 pick.

If we are targeting any linebacker from "Linebacker U" my eye is solidly on Michael Mauti. His only major red mark is his injury history (multiple knee injuries). Personally I feel he should be drafted in the 2nd round a la Sean Lee but his injuries are going to hurt his stock. If he's hanging around in the 4-5-6th rounds he's going to be a steal for someone.

Quote:
No matter how cerebral a guy is, ACL tears in each knee (2009, 2011) and another knee injury that occurred against Indiana this past season do not bode well for a long NFL career.

However, that doesn't mean Mauti won't succeed at the next level.

In fact, if his dedication is any indicator of how he'll be as a professional football player, then he should be just fine. For those who missed it, Mauti sent handwritten letters to all 32 NFL GMs expressing how much he loves the game.

CBSSports.com has Mauti as a projected fifth- to sixth-round pick
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I actually like Fluker at OG more than Tackle. I think the knock on him that he struggles in space versus speed rushers is true. That's why I used to have more of a 2nd/3rd round tag on him during the season. But some have flirted with the talk of him at Guard and that has me really thinking. He could be DOMINANT.
Agreed. Despite being insanely athletic for a 355 lb man I can see him struggling against speed rushers especially coming from a wide-9 alignment. His kick-step is NOT a thing of beauty and his main attribute is the power he generates once he touches you.

If we are on the clock at 18 with Cooper, Vaccaro, and Fluker all available I'd be listening intently to any trade offers in hopes of nabbing one of my top 3 on my board and garnering another pick.

Putting the finishes touches on my mock :) Originally had Fluker after trading down but it always feels like a cop out. You would of liked it though it seems :D

Last edited by Trogdor : 02-05-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM    (permalink
arub4
Rookie

arub4 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
If we are targeting any linebacker from "Linebacker U" my eye is solidly on Michael Mauti. His only major red mark is his injury history (multiple knee injuries). Personally I feel he should be drafted in the 2nd round a la Sean Lee but his injuries are going to hurt his stock. If he's hanging around in the 4-5-6th rounds he's going to be a steal for someone.
I am attending penn state right now and i agree mauti is an amazing player with all the heart in the world. But i personally think Hodges is a way better pro prospect, and i think he is going to get drafted late 2nd to 3rd round. He can stand to put on some lb's. You'll see come combine time tht he is a very athletic player (recruited as a safety), and he has the stats to back it up, 2 consecutive 100 tackle seasons.
arub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea I like Hodges, and am fairly confident he'll go higher than currently projected. When scouts go through a checklist of what they look for at LB Hodges is a guy that checks off across the board. As is he's a good prospect, but when you factor in he's still relatively new to the position there's good reason to like the upside. I could see him being a better pro than collegian, and that's not a knock on his career at Penn St.