Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
I just don't think that, with all the huge contracts floating around in today's game, a $4 million or $5 million per year contract would be that hard to accomplish.
But again, that's based on the major assumption that Boldin would settle for a two-year deal worth $8 million from the Rams. While I think that kind of deal would be doable for the Rams, I don't think Boldin would bite on those figures.

If for some reason he does, I bet it will be with a team with pretty good chances of going deep in the playoffs in 2013. Heck, I don't see why Baltimore wouldn't just renegotiate him with those numbers if he was willing to take them.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Fair enough. I guess I see there being a movement towards younger, more explosive weapons in the NFL. Maybe it is wishful thinking.
And yet those are two words I'd really not associate with Anquan Boldin.

Quote:
I know one thing...I have more excitement for this offseason than even last. We have a lot to look forward to! And I fully trust my head coach and GM. How is that for a change?
On that, we can agree!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
And yet those are two words I'd really not associate with Anquan Boldin.

On that, we can agree!
Exactly. That's why I think the market for him may come at a bit of a discount. Maybe not. There will certainly be some takers for a still productive receiver who can teach young players how to own the ball. We'll have to see:-)
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Titus Young is a Ram.

This doesn't change my draft board at all. Maybe it pumps Tavon Austin down a tad....and that is if Titus can grow up some and show us some of that potential.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Exactly. That's why I think the market for him may come at a bit of a discount. Maybe not. There will certainly be some takers for a still productive receiver who can teach young players how to own the ball. We'll have to see:-)
Sorry, I thought you were arguing one of the reason you liked Boldin was because of a movement towards younger, more explosive weapons. Hence, it didn't make sense.

While I would generally agree that the NFL is looking for youth and speed, the fact that Randy Moss and Plexico Burress can still find work suggest teams will still pay for older vets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Titus Young is a Ram.

This doesn't change my draft board at all. Maybe it pumps Tavon Austin down a tad....and that is if Titus can grow up some and show us some of that potential.
I'm not a fan of his, but I get why they'd make this move. Potential for high reward if they can get him in line with low risk due to the contract and waiver claim. Still, it takes a special grade of a-hole to intentionally sabotage your team by lining up in the wrong place.

Last edited by NGSeiler : 02-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shane did a new 3-round mock in the Mock Draft forum. I'd have to say, I'll be ecstatic if our draft turns out the way he has it.

1. Chance Warmack OG
1. Zach Ertz TE
2. Arthur Brown LB
3. Jonathan Cyprien S

LOVE it.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Yeah, honestly I think that might be an ideal scenario. Great combination of value and need.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not big on the Titus Young move either, but as I have stated before, I trust Fisher. We really have little to lose if we decide to cut him and move on.

I like the mock draft as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

And Seiler, I think you are probably right about Boldin. He is a class act, and someone will probably give him $5 million plus to come in and provide leadership to a young group of receivers. I just wish that someone was us:-)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And Seiler, I think you are probably right about Boldin. He is a class act, and someone will probably give him $5 million plus to come in and provide leadership to a young group of receivers. I just wish that someone was us:-)
There's a lot to like about Boldin as a fit with the Rams. With Chris Givens possibly starting on one side of the field as a vertical threat, having a reliable possession type starter on the other side would be great, especially in the red zone.

If the Rams can clear some additional cap room, Boldin could be a very good short term target. I just don't think he's going to come cheap. But if he does, I don't see any reason why the Rams shouldn't aggressively pursue him.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

It's so nice to have a coaching staff and front office that isn't afraid to take chances on players because they don't fit the 4-pillars. That's all I got to say.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Last year there was talk about Fisher maybe taking chances on Randy Moss and Albert Haynesworth, but he didn't take a flier on either. I think this says a lot about him. He is willing to take a chance on a guy, but only in the best interest of the team, the salary cap, all things considered. I think he has a great feel for his team as it evolves and I like this move.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Suddenly I have the need for speed!

Givens, Young.....Tavon Austin :)

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 02-07-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I'll take Austin at #22:-)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Whats your guys' opinion on DJ Fluker? A lot of Mocks have us selecting him with one of our first rounders. At first I was like blah, but I'm warming up to it.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Don't count on Boldin coming to the Rams if he's cut by Baltimore.

Quote:
Anquan Boldin just told me he will RETIRE if he is cut by the Ravens. They will be his last team. #NFL #Profootballtalk
https://twitter.com/eknbc/status/299965187769901056
Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Whats your guys' opinion on DJ Fluker? A lot of Mocks have us selecting him with one of our first rounders. At first I was like blah, but I'm warming up to it.
I feel solid about it @ 22 if he's there, though I could see him going earlier. I think he'd be a great fit at right tackle for Fisher's offense. There are some who feel his best fit is guard at the next level, which is fine since the Rams need a left guard, too.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
I'm okay with Fluker, although I am higher on Warmack. The guy I am highest on if we were to take a lineman in the 1st round, though (which I'm still not convinced we will), is Lane Johnson. They say he runs in the 4.7's and can do a 360* dunk. At 305 lbs. Yeah:-)
Old 02-08-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Okay, I've been doing some thinking. For me, the trouble with compiling mocks sometimes is when you have a strong feeling that a team will trade up or down. Then you have to go through all the headache of trying to decide who would make a good fit as a trading partner, what slot, etc.

That being said, I do think the Rams will trade out of the 1st round with one of their 1st rounders. This draft is strong in rounds 2-4, and we are building a solid young roster full of talent. For the sake of reasonability, this mock suggests that we trade away our #16 pick and pick up a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder in exchange.

1) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

2a) Kyle Long, G/T, Oregon

2b) Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

3a) Johnathan Cyprien, S, FIU

3b) Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon St.

4) Vince Williams, OLB, Florida St.

5) Robert Alford, CB, SE Louisiana

6) Brad Sorensen, QB, Southern Utah

7) Stefphon Jefferson, RB, Nevada
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm okay with Fluker, although I am higher on Warmack. The guy I am highest on if we were to take a lineman in the 1st round, though (which I'm still not convinced we will), is Lane Johnson. They say he runs in the 4.7's and can do a 360* dunk. At 305 lbs. Yeah:-)
Can he perform a standing jump to exit the deep end of a swimming pool? ;)

I'm not a huge fan of Johnson, but I'm warming up to him with the overwhelmingly positive feedback he's been getting this offseason.

Still, I worry a bit more about raw guys who don't have the deep college resume to help project their pro ability. I'm kind of risk adverse by nature when it comes to the draft though; it's one reason why I preferred Eugene Monroe to Jason Smith.

I agree with you about Warmack, though. I hope he makes it to 16.

Quote:
Okay, I've been doing some thinking. For me, the trouble with compiling mocks sometimes is when you have a strong feeling that a team will trade up or down. Then you have to go through all the headache of trying to decide who would make a good fit as a trading partner, what slot, etc.

That being said, I do think the Rams will trade out of the 1st round with one of their 1st rounders. This draft is strong in rounds 2-4, and we are building a solid young roster full of talent. For the sake of reasonability, this mock suggests that we trade away our #16 pick and pick up a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder in exchange.

1) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

2a) Kyle Long, G/T, Oregon

2b) Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

3a) Johnathan Cyprien, S, FIU

3b) Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon St.

4) Vince Williams, OLB, Florida St.

5) Robert Alford, CB, SE Louisiana

6) Brad Sorensen, QB, Southern Utah

7) Stefphon Jefferson, RB, Nevada
I like Eifert but I think the Combine will be a big test to see if any of the tight ends are worth being taken in the high 20s. The second round picks are solid, both of those guys could become quality players with the right coaching.

I love Cyprien and am honestly not sure if he's there in the third. To me, Wheaton only really makes sense if the Rams don't bring Amendola back. If they do, I think we need a player with more size, especially if Titus Young hasn't been kicked off the team by draft time.

Nothing about Williams says OLB to me at the pro level, so I'm not sure about that pick to start Day Three. Alford is a good pick if he's there. Sorenson and Jefferson are fine as late round fliers.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Another receiver I am warming up to is Chris Harper from Kansas St. Not real big, but strong, physical, runs great routes.

Williams was all over the place in the Senior Bowl. Zaviar Gooden had a decent game as well, but I question his size and ability to carry another 10-15 pounds.

You may be right about Cyprien being a 2nd rounder. However, there are a buttload of guys with a 2nd round grade this year, and only 31 picks.

FWIW, it's still early and I am always off on mid-late round guys at this time of year. It takes a while to zoom in on guys and where they will end up going. Of course, none of us are completely accurate, even the guys making 7 figures.

Fisher is big on raw, high ceiling guys. I am trying to look at the draft the way he might see things.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

I just had a thought about our pick at #16. You know, there has been a lot of talk about teams needing a QB but none of this year's QB's being top 10 worthy. If these teams (Kansas City, Philadelphia, Arizona, Buffalo, Jets) do pass on quarterbacks with their early picks, we could really be sitting in a great spot to trade back. True, there isn't anyone sitting behind us that needs a QB, but you have to figure if Geno Smith is sitting therein the middle of the first round then teams will start calling to make a deal. Maybe there isn't a QB in this draft that is worth a top 5-10 pick; that doesn't mean that none of them will be worth a spot ANYWHERE in the 1st round, especially given the inflated value of the QB position.

Conversely, if teams do like they normally do and overdraft QB's, there could be a legitimate Top 10 pick fall to us at #16. I would personally be happy if anyone from the group of Lotulelei/Jordan/Ansah/Johnson/Warmack was still available.

I think the worst scenario for us would be if Smith and Barkley were the only 2 QB's taken, and the entire group I mentioned was gone as well. No one is moving up to take Glennon or Wilson. Their asses are firmly planted in the Green room until the 2nd day.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:51 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I like Eifert, but I'm a bigger fan of Ertz, I just think Ertz is the better overall Tight End. But I wouldn't be mad at either selection.

Love the Kyle Long selection, as I think all Rams fans do. Not to sure what I think of Short, haven't seen much of him to be honest.

Love the Wheaton selection, a "big" wr would be nice but I don't think it's a requirement. heck 99-03 wasn't our tallest receiver Torry Holt at 6'0?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:04 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Short played big at the Senior Bowl. As Mayock put it, "Short has been virtually unblocked all day." With Brockers I could see them being everything that Jim Schwartz envisioned when he took Nick Fairley to go with Ndamakong Suh.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:05 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Uh oh...I'm not sure how I feel about this. Mike Singletary has interviewed for the Rams DC job.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/singlet...9070--nfl.html
Closed Thread