Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Oh I didn't realize it. Cool.

Why no Darren Woodson?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IRVING, Texas -- In another sign that offensive coordinator Bill Callahan could call plays for the Dallas Cowboys in 2013, the team announced Frank Pollack as their new assistant offensive line coach.

Pollack was Oakland’s offensive line coach in 2012 and played for Callahan at Northern Arizona. From 2007-11, he was the assistant offensive line coach for Houston, and he had a nine-year career as a player, including two stints with San Francisco (1990-91, 1994-98) and a two-year run in Denver (1992-93).

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...o-line-coaches

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By releasing Michael Boley, Chris Canty & Ahmad Bradshaw, #Giants have cleared $13.75 million in cap space this week.

G-Men cleaning house. Think we would have any interest there?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
By releasing Michael Boley, Chris Canty & Ahmad Bradshaw, #Giants have cleared $13.75 million in cap space this week.

G-Men cleaning house. Think we would have any interest there?
I don't see any of them fitting in. Bradshaw would be good, but he's often injured. Could Boley be a fit at SLB?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

None of those guys make me pitch tent.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Bradshaw, if only because he'd want to run wild over his old team. He might be the backup we need, but would he want that role?
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would roll the idea around in the back of my mind for sure. I wouldn't mind giving him snaps as well given that limiting Murray's snaps will not only give him more energy at the end of games but also perhaps lessen his penchant for watching games on the sidelines.

Give him backup reps plus 3rd and long as a blitz protection/draw back. As I said I'm not completely sold on the idea and I wouldn't want to pay him anymore than veteran minimum-ish. I still think a team will take a chance of him getting healthy and offering a RBBC (running back by committee) role as opposed to solely a backup.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you get the chance and want to get a REALLY in-depth look at Monte Kiffin's playbook be sure to keep up on BtB. Coty has been going through alignments, coverages, and packages and it actually helps narrow the focus of the types of players we would be aiming at. Here is the most recent post from him (coverages).

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...overage-scheme
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Here's a question... Do you guys wish we were a Zone Blocking OL?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Here's a question... Do you guys wish we were a Zone Blocking OL?
Scheme doesn't bother me too much. I wish I could say we had a passable offensive line in ANY scheme :/
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Scheme doesn't bother me too much. I wish I could say we had a passable offensive line in ANY scheme :/
Haha.

Can't you run more complex running plays with a ZBS? I really don't know the ins and outs of it. I know general concepts, but it would just seem logical to me that if you have more athletic OL who are on the move more that you could implement more complex running plays to confuse a defense.

I think we have the perfect ZBS RB in Murray. A great LT for it in Smith. Another fit in Parnell. Just gets me thinking. Cooper will certainly be there for us at 18 and would be another great fit. A better fit than Warmack too. Lessening the stress to get him. ZBS OL are generally easier to get.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think we have the perfect ZBS RB in Murray. A great LT for it in Smith. Another fit in Parnell. Just gets me thinking. Cooper will certainly be there for us at 18 and would be another great fit. A better fit than Warmack too. Lessening the stress to get him. ZBS OL are generally easier to get.
I'm with you 100% D. We have guys in Murray and Tyron who are literally perfect for it, and throw Cooper in a ZBS and he's the best Guard in the draft. I want Cooper anyway but that just makes him that much better. I just have no faith in us addressing the line so I hope I am wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Haha.

Can't you run more complex running plays with a ZBS? I really don't know the ins and outs of it. I know general concepts, but it would just seem logical to me that if you have more athletic OL who are on the move more that you could implement more complex running plays to confuse a defense.

Oh I agree 100% I was just being honest. All teams would both ZBS and man blocking it's just the amount of which that dictates the "standard". Personally I do like Murray as a "One-Cut" type RB that is best suited for ZBS although it would render both Livings and Bernie completely moot in the scheme.

If we land Cooper at 18 I think we'll continue with our current scheme for one more year (Bernie/Livings can be cut after the season with minimal loss) before making any major transformations. I do love having more athletic lineman but we misused our size last year by calling mostly power running plays. You abuse the defensive with your speed by running counters, misdirections, draws, etc. Asking smaller lineman to power block at the point of attack goes poorly. Asking them to let the defensive line get out of position and sealing is MUCH more effective.

I'm with LL though. Cooper is probably my favorite prospect for us in the first round.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Oh I agree 100% I was just being honest. All teams would both ZBS and man blocking it's just the amount of which that dictates the "standard". Personally I do like Murray as a "One-Cut" type RB that is best suited for ZBS although it would render both Livings and Bernie completely moot in the scheme.

If we land Cooper at 18 I think we'll continue with our current scheme for one more year (Bernie/Livings can be cut after the season with minimal loss) before making any major transformations. I do love having more athletic lineman but we misused our size last year by calling mostly power running plays. You abuse the defensive with your speed by running counters, misdirections, draws, etc. Asking smaller lineman to power block at the point of attack goes poorly. Asking them to let the defensive line get out of position and sealing is MUCH more effective.

I'm with LL though. Cooper is probably my favorite prospect for us in the first round.
Glad we're talking about it. Sounds like we would like it.

Doesn't mean it will happen. Callahan isn't a ZBS guy.

If we did run it, I would like Cooper as much as you guys. But at this point, I would still give the edge to Warmack for our scheme.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
If you get the chance and want to get a REALLY in-depth look at Monte Kiffin's playbook be sure to keep up on BtB. Coty has been going through alignments, coverages, and packages and it actually helps narrow the focus of the types of players we would be aiming at. Here is the most recent post from him (coverages).

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...overage-scheme
Neat share. It's good that we have eyes out there from the guys on our forum. Lord knows I ain't got time for much more than spending time on this forum. I try to check out places like BtB but I just don't have it among my frequent stops.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If we did run it, I would like Cooper as much as you guys. But at this point, I would still give the edge to Warmack for our scheme.
Cannot see any way Warmack slips that far but Cooper looks solid to me. Do you think the team will add an OC later in the draft as well? Of course FA's often take a year before they are really able to produce so your OG's might still come through.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Cannot see any way Warmack slips that far but Cooper looks solid to me. Do you think the team will add an OC later in the draft as well? Of course FA's often take a year before they are really able to produce so your OG's might still come through.
Nobody thought DeCastro would reach us at 12 last year. It's all muchado about nothing. I fully believe Warmack could be there.

As for C, no, cause I think they are in love with Costa. I'm not, but they are.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nobody thought DeCastro would reach us at 12 last year. It's all muchado about nothing. I fully believe Warmack could be there.

Costa showed me a lot this year and not just that he has a knack for finding freak injuries.

I can't imagine adding one as we brought in Cook to compete for the starting job along with Costa as a super cheap RFA, Killer K who played decent but I wouldn't be shocked if he's a late cut, and finally Bernie acquitted himself well at C.

If Jeremy Parnell turns out to be a quality starter and we can add a blue chip OG (Warmack/Cooper) this offensive line went from one of the NFL's worst to a good unit in one offseason. If he flounders we need to have a veteran backup as a fallback.

My suggestion from my newest mock-offseason? Dallas native and former #2 overall pick Jason Smith whom was just cut by the New York Jets in a salary cap purge maneuver.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Costa showed me a lot this year and not just that he has a knack for finding freak injuries.

I can't imagine adding one as we brought in Cook to compete for the starting job along with Costa as a super cheap RFA, Killer K who played decent but I wouldn't be shocked if he's a late cut, and finally Bernie acquitted himself well at C.

If Jeremy Parnell turns out to be a quality starter and we can add a blue chip OG (Warmack/Cooper) this offensive line went from one of the NFL's worst to a good unit in one offseason. If he flounders we need to have a veteran backup as a fallback.

My suggestion from my newest mock-offseason? Dallas native and former #2 overall pick Jason Smith whom was just cut by the New York Jets in a salary cap purge maneuver.
I wouldn't say he showed us a lot. He showed us one good game against the Ravens. haha. His injuries are a headache though. At some point it'll derail his chances of reaching his potential.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, let's not pretend Costa wasn't atrocious in 2011, and while he played well against the Ravens, that game was basically an aberration as everyone was running crazy on them at that time. I just don't think you can go into 2013 with him as your go-to at Center just given his resume, let alone the fact he's coming off an injury.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Yea, let's not pretend Costa wasn't atrocious in 2011, and while he played well against the Ravens, that game was basically an aberration as everyone was running crazy on them at that time. I just don't think you can go into 2013 with him as your go-to at Center just given his resume, let alone the fact he's coming off an injury.
Pump the brakes he was beyond atrocious in 2011. I wasn't just rating the Ravens game in any case. Individually you could readily see the difference when he went down injured.

He shouldn't be the go-to guy but he certainly should be in a camp battle with Cook and Bernie (if we draft a guard top 50) and let the best man win.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

We actually started using a ZBS a lot more last year in the 2nd half of the season. Callahan as the OL coach must have had his hand in some of that. I don't think any team in the NFL runs one scheme or the other all the time. I think depending on matchups you might use it more against one team than the other. Maybe it's the gameplan or you are going against a 3 man front vs a 4. Kinda like the people who are bitching about having 2 above average corners and switching to kiffin's cover 2. It's not like they are going to play zone cover 2 all day. They will play man a hell of a lot as well. 30% of 60 snaps is still 20 snaps mano-y-mano....the game is too complex and too many things are going on for us to generalize our scheme by saying we run this or we run that. If you want to look at who we are going to draft imo. I think you have to look at the past and who we targetted. For example....Dallas tends to like WRs with size and physical on the outside. There is a reason we are passing on guys like Desean Jackson and other small quick WRs. I know that we've had small guys and they've had success here. But we seem to have a pretty good record on what we look at as far as a physical standpoint.

I feel like Breer wrote an article about it a couple of years ago. +rep to anyone that can dig that out of the depths. Either was dmw or btb. Analysed what we look for at each position. Would be a good time of the year to see that again.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I want the Center position solved as well.

There's been some whispers that they really liked what Bernadeau did in his short time at center.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I want the Center position solved as well.

There's been some whispers that they really liked what Bernadeau did in his short time at center.
I wholeheartedly agree. I think having a camp battle between RFA Costa, Cook, and Bernie would be best. I actually liked having a heavier center since you don't normally ask him to pull and then you become more athletic at guard.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. I think having a camp battle between RFA Costa, Cook, and Bernie would be best. I actually liked having a heavier center since you don't normally ask him to pull and then you become more athletic at guard.
I wonder how everyone would feel about this line:

LT - Smith
LG - Livings
C - Berney
RG - Warford
RT - Fluker

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote