Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Well the thing was Dorsey was CLEARLY a better player in college and had all the tools.

I have a working theory about dominant college DTs. I've seen SO MANY be so good in college and then bust in the pros.

I think it deals with a few things:

1) Maintaining weight/staying in shape/maintaining strength. I've always said you can't predict a guy's NFL work ethic and that in order to have a good career you always need to be competing with the rest of the league in the strength and conditioning department. We can sit here and scout game film and measurables all we want but when a kid sits in that interview and says he's going to work, or his coaches say he's going to work, that all might change when he gets that paycheck or sees how difficult it's really going to be. This can happen at any position but I think with big men who look like "men among boys" (usually DTs) it happens a lot.

2) College interior linemen. Generally speaking, teams put their best OL at LT and RT. There are only a finite number of quality OL in the country and hundreds of college teams. By simple math you can see that the worst starting college OL are going to be at OG and C lining up accross from DTs. This especially applies to the difference in athleticism and size. We say 'man among boys' a lot and in some cases it really is. Obviously the big-time programs have tremendous interior linemen but can you name one Miss. St. or Texas A&M guard from the past ten years? No. Their best OL played tackle.

So then the DT gets to the NFL and half of the drafted OTs out of college he never went up again (bigger, faster, stronger) are inside, not to mention it's like an all-star team of guards/centers (the best of the best out of college). So basically DTs have feasted their entire career on IOL who were not this good. No longer is he a man among boys, his confidence may take a hit, he has to deal with adversity, and work twice as hard as he ever has to be able to compete.

Just a working theory (and it pertains to Dorsey) and maybe to Star.

EDIT: Just saw Amobi Okoye's name in another thread. He's another one.

I just feel like the game changes so drastically for DTs when they move up a level. I know the speed of the game is crazy different in the NFL but I think the level of comp. from college OGs to pro OGs is just way different. If you watch the pros a lot of times you'll see a rookie DB up against a guy he faced in college. For RBs it gets harder but it's just a speed difference. For LBs the same thing. QBs have to adjust to a lot but they are still spinning the same size ball with their same arm. Idk. Pass rushers vs. OTs is the same thing also. They've seen a lot of those matchups or at least very similar ones.

But Amobi Okoye was like a 12-year old dominating some small, slow conference USA OGs. Texans loved it. He moves to the NFL and he's got to face Larry Allen and Steve Hutchinson?
I think your philosophy has some merit to it. I hadn't really thought too much about all the tackles who move inside at the next level like that. It makes sense.

FWIW, though, Amobi Okoye didn't play in Conference USA, he played at Louisville. His biggest problem was that he started playing in college at the age of 16 and graduated at 20. He would have done himself a lot of favors (from a physical maturity standpoint) to redshirt.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote