Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

Ok so Espn has him 7 on their top 32. And Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com has him going 3rd overall in a mock. Is this guy that good?
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I certainly prefer him to a guy like Dontari Poe, but I'm not sure he'll go in the top ten. Right now I have him landing in Carolina at fourteen. I don't see him as a Suh or Dareus as far as prospects go. Then again, Tyson Jackson went third overall, so who knows.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 AM    (permalink
JustisM
Rookie

JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JustisM is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

An NFL scout I talked to put it like this, "Every single DL coach in the league thinks they can make him the next Warren Sapp." I was hopeful that he would slip to GB at 26, but I think Star/Richardson/Floyd all go top 10-15.
JustisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get the attraction. Yeah, he is very quick and seems to play hard every down. Runs stunts well. But he offers nothing in terms of bull rush. Basically, when guards got their hands on him, he was neutralized. That's not the sign of a truly top tier DT prospect. Sapp was a lot stronger.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
I don't get the attraction. Yeah, he is very quick and seems to play hard every down. Runs stunts well. But he offers nothing in terms of bull rush. Basically, when guards got their hands on him, he was neutralized. That's not the sign of a truly top tier DT prospect. Sapp was a lot stronger.
Update: I just read that the next Warren Sapp, they guy who's speciality is the pass rush, the guy who is a certified top 5 pick, had a wopping 4.5 career sacks!! Did everyone here have a mass hallucination about this kid?

Last edited by Black Bolt : 02-11-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustisM View Post
An NFL scout I talked to put it like this, "Every single DL coach in the league thinks they can make him the next Warren Sapp." I was hopeful that he would slip to GB at 26, but I think Star/Richardson/Floyd all go top 10-15.
Really? I wonder if any of them remembers Warren Sapp was an absolutely dominant college player who didn't have to be turned into anything.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Floyd doesn't strike me as a DT worth a top 10 pick. Few DTs are in my mind. I'd rather address other positions with a top 10-15 pick.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Update: I just read that the next Warren Sapp, they guy who's speciality is the pass rush, the guy who is a certified top 5 pick, had a wopping 4.5 career sacks!! Did everyone here have a mass hallucination about this kid?
ezekial ansah has 4 career sacks at DE. doesn't seem to matter

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure starter-needy teams will look at him early. I could see him going to a team with a solid DL rotation, learning to correct some technique things , and emerging in a few seasons as a force at undertackle or 5 tech. His deficiencies are correctable. I see him as more of a 4-3 UT than a 3-4 DE. Not sure he'll ever offer enough as a pass rusher to justify a top 10 pick though.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
ezekial ansah has 4 career sacks at DE. doesn't seem to matter
Ansah has one year as a starter. Also, he's just learning the game of football. Also, he is highly disruptive in terms of TFL and batting balls. There are no parallel's between Ansah and Floyd.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Not sure starter-needy teams will look at him early. I could see him going to a team with a solid DL rotation, learning to correct some technique things , and emerging in a few seasons as a force at undertackle or 5 tech. His deficiencies are correctable. I see him as more of a 4-3 UT than a 3-4 DE. Not sure he'll ever offer enough as a pass rusher to justify a top 10 pick though.
Agreed. DTs get overrated all the time. Just look at Cedric Ellis. There was no justification for how high he went based on his play, but he went to USC of course and sometimes that's all you need. Floyd is from a football powerhouse that boasted a great defense and he is scene flying around the pile a lot. He is an average NFL DT at best, yet he was drafted #7 overall.

I honestly don't intend to dog Floyd out, but a top 3 selection is proposterous and I think this writer knows it.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like him but not crazy about the early round 1 talk. Watching most of the Florida games he was great against the run but i didn't see all that much push against the pass. He was MIA against Louisville.

I think in a perfect world you get your stud D-linmen like Red Bryant and Geno Atkins in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ansah has one year as a starter. Also, he's just learning the game of football. Also, he is highly disruptive in terms of TFL and batting balls. There are no parallel's between Ansah and Floyd.

and they play different positions. 4 career sacks isn't actually that terrible for a DT. Star has like 6.

4 career however is an atrocious number for a possible first round DE. JPP had 6.5, also in limited action (ju-co transfer).

The general point is that you don't need production to go high in the draft.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
and they play different positions. 4 career sacks isn't actually that terrible for a DT. Star has like 6.

4 career however is an atrocious number for a possible first round DE. JPP had 6.5, also in limited action (ju-co transfer).

The general point is that you don't need production to go high in the draft.
Look, I don't disagree with your overall point, but when you consider that this cat is a 3 year starter who was highly touted coming out of high school and that his THANG is supposed to be penetration and quickness, something does not add up. Now, in the case of JPP and Ansah, there were plausible explanantions for their lack of numbers. But in the case of Floyd, I have not heard any reasons given for his lack of production nor did I observe any possible reasons first hand. What I see is a guy who is probable good enough to play some DT in the NFL and that's pretty much it. NOTHING even close to warranting a top 15 pick. If you took away Warren Sapp unexplanable strength, he would be a small DT that gets stalemated when he isn't running around blocks and shooting gaps. This is what I see in Floyd.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

Quote:
What I see is a guy who is probable good enough to play some DT in the NFL and that's pretty much it. NOTHING even close to warranting a top 15 pick. If you took away Warren Sapp unexplanable strength, he would be a small DT that gets stalemated when he isn't running around blocks and shooting gaps. This is what I see in Floyd.
I can see that point. All im saying is that at DT production is optional. ya know who else has 4 career sacks? Sheldon Richardson. Star has 6. Floyd doesn't need to have 20 sacks to be worth the pick.

if life were fair, Kawann Short with 18 career sacks at Purdue would be the first DT off the board.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I can see that point. All im saying is that at DT production is optional. ya know who else has 4 career sacks? Sheldon Richardson. Star has 6. Floyd doesn't need to have 20 sacks to be worth the pick.

if life were fair, Kawann Short with 18 career sacks at Purdue would be the first DT off the board.
I am not speaking to the issue of fairness, rather the issue of falsely propping up prospects just to start conversation. That's what I think is happening here.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
The next GM or personnel director that tells me Sharrif Floyd will fall past the 10th pick will be the 1st. He's going to get picked EARLY!
asdfghjk,,,,,jh

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems to be a really great year to need an interior lineman. If I really needed help up the middle, I'd seriously consider drafting two of these guys early on.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

Quote:
I am not speaking to the issue of fairness, rather the issue of falsely propping up prospects just to start conversation. That's what I think is happening here.
i think these guys are legitimately repeating what they heard. It's possible that the sources are deliberately feeding these guys bad info... or it could be that the league really likes these players. we wont really know until April. I don't think Jeremiah is making it up just for convo

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
i think these guys are legitimately repeating what they heard. It's possible that the sources are deliberately feeding these guys bad info... or it could be that the league really likes these players. we wont really know until April. I don't think Jeremiah is making it up just for convo
Maybe he heard a GM or two talk about him favorably. That's a LONG way from putting this guy in the top five, especially with this already being a strong draft for D-line. On top of that, they definitely has the wrong team.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Every year the misinformation machine ramps up and every year people take the bait. It costs scouting depts nothing to put the word out there that this prospect is falling, or that prospect is rising. Anything to better your position so that a guy you want falls to you. I take these comments with a big grain of salt.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Really? I wonder if any of them remembers Warren Sapp was an absolutely dominant college player who didn't have to be turned into anything.
Well that would be the difference between saying he is Warren Sapp and saying you can turn him into Warren Sapp wouldn't it?
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
Well that would be the difference between saying he is Warren Sapp and saying you can turn him into Warren Sapp wouldn't it?
Well, no. Sapp was naturally strong and explosive. That can't be taught or manufactured. It's funny, even if with the notion he could be turned into the next Sapp, #3 overall is much higher than the REAL Sapp went.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kevin Weidi from Espn said this

After watching Floyd then Richardson. No question I'd rank Floyd ahead. More power/strength at POA. Not as much range but tougher.
about 4 hours ago
Old 02-12-2013, 07:39 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

Also this

Seeing a ton of talk on Floyd. Have now watched 5 coaches tapes and agree he's got top-10 talent. DOMINATING peformance vs. FSU.