Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
That's like Corey Grissom from USF's nickname is pork chop lol. As nice as it would be to bring in FA's I think we will be doing a lot of watching even if we find money to spend. We will bring back some roster stuffers and maybe get in the FA's late to pick up someone who isn't signed on the initial wave of interest.

I expect on the Oline to have a combination of Tyron, Livings, Bernie, Parnell and someone drafted to play C/G. I think Spencer is a loss in free agency and the Dline has Hatcher, Ware, Ratliff and either Lissemore or a draft pick starting at DT.
Based on early rumblings I would suspect Anthony Spencer being resigned and then a bunch of low-level to mid-level guys being brought in to compete.

If Spencer is returns I imagine it would allow us to roll with a DT rotation of Hatcher, Ratliff, Lissemore, +rookie/FA and kick Crawford out as backup DE and a major component of the "speed" pressure 4 package. Lets us pass on needing a high pick on DE and target interior defensive lineman slightly later in the draft. Heck if you can snare players like Glenn Dorsey and Jason Smith to incentive based contracts we could have potential in those areas as well.

Would free us to go BPA at any of our need positions. Considering how Garrett has harped on drafting BPA and the need to fill holes in FA I imagine we'll be making a bunch of low-to-mid level moves again with a single high priced FA whom I imagine will be Spencer.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Based on early rumblings I would suspect Anthony Spencer being resigned and then a bunch of low-level to mid-level guys being brought in to compete.

If Spencer is returns I imagine it would allow us to roll with a DT rotation of Hatcher, Ratliff, Lissemore, +rookie/FA and kick Crawford out as backup DE and a major component of the "speed" pressure 4 package. Lets us pass on needing a high pick on DE and target interior defensive lineman slightly later in the draft. Heck if you can snare players like Glenn Dorsey and Jason Smith to incentive based contracts we could have potential in those areas as well.

Would free us to go BPA at any of our need positions. Considering how Garrett has harped on drafting BPA and the need to fill holes in FA I imagine we'll be making a bunch of low-to-mid level moves again with a single high priced FA whom I imagine will be Spencer.
I know there appears to be a lot of hesitation about resigning Spencer to a big deal after he had a very good contact season. But at this point, I believe it's the best option. I don't see us spending money on a big name FA or hoping someone on the roster can fill that role.

I like the approach of resigning Spencer and finding some mid level FA's. Then being able to attack the draft properly.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While he has not been my favorite guy, I would be on board with resigning him as long as it's not a monster deal.

An interesting name came up today on PFTalk. Roy Miller is a guy that the Bucs may not resign. He could be an 'affordable' option for that 1 tech.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-roy-miller/

-Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Macarthur : 02-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also like Miller. Probably want to draft a DT too. I don't know the odds of him being re-signed but I still love me some Delmas, a leader like him in the secondary and his range would be something we have lacked for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't even know Roy Miller was in the NFL still. Is he really good enough to feel good about? Or is it just a cheap depth signing? ala Kenyon Coleman for us in the 3-4?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Didn't even know Roy Miller was in the NFL still. Is he really good enough to feel good about? Or is it just a cheap depth signing? ala Kenyon Coleman for us in the 3-4?
Well, I don't think he's a difference maker, but he could be good affordable depth to be that space eater than we need for the 1 tech.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...season/1268168

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know everyone would like to see Ratliff turn into a difference making 3tech but If we draft a 3 tech early Jay is more then capable of being a dominant 1 tech. A matter of fact guys like Sly Williams and Kawaan Short are guys who versatile enough to play either position as well. So if they are first round targets there are plenty of bodies to rotate around without adding a free agent.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
"Sorry, we couldn't find what you were looking for."
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I know everyone would like to see Ratliff turn into a difference making 3tech but If we draft a 3 tech early Jay is more then capable of being a dominant 1 tech. A matter of fact guys like Sly Williams and Kawaan Short are guys who versatile enough to play either position as well. So if they are first round targets there are plenty of bodies to rotate around without adding a free agent.
If we don't do something in FA about our OL and we ignore it in the 1st round, I don't care if it's for a DT. Just throw in the towel for next season.

Floyd, Richardson, Short, or Williams don't help us out as much as an elite OL would.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If we don't do something in FA about our OL and we ignore it in the 1st round, I don't care if it's for a DT. Just throw in the towel for next season.

Floyd, Richardson, Short, or Williams don't help us out as much as an elite OL would.
I can agree with that, I have a weird gut feeling that we go after Lane Johnson or trade down to gamble Warmack/Cooper will be available later in round one. Fluker might be a nice consolation prize if they board doesn't line up. He has the versatility to plug in at G/T year one and his ceiling is through the roof.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This needs to change:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...oints-per-game
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Neat site!

Lots of things need to change...

Rushing Attempts per Game - 31st
Interceptions Thrown per Game - 28th
Penalties per Game - 30th
Special Teams Defense - 25th
Scoring Defense - 24th
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Neat site!

Lots of things need to change...

Rushing Attempts per Game - 31st
Interceptions Thrown per Game - 28th
Penalties per Game - 30th
Special Teams Defense - 25th
Scoring Defense - 24th
Google is a man's best friend lol

Those are some ugly stats, and besides the obvious (scoring) all of them statistically play major roles in the outcomes of games. Just looking at the numbers I'm actually shocked we even won as many games as we did.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has the idea of kicking Doug Free inside to guard been discussed at all?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Has the idea of kicking Doug Free inside to guard been discussed at all?
Not a snowball's chance in hell. You don't recall the multiple times that defensive ends THREW him backwards into the pocket? Couldn't find a funny gif from this year so I'll use one from his time at LT going against an even SMALLER OLB.

Now imagine a guy twice as strong and heavier than Doug Free. Defensive coordinators would just chuckle and have their DTs bull-rush Free on every play.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Not a snowball's chance in hell. You don't recall the multiple times that defensive ends THREW him backwards into the pocket? Couldn't find a funny gif from this year so I'll use one from his time at LT going against an even SMALLER OLB.

Now imagine a guy twice as strong and heavier than Doug Free. Defensive coordinators would just chuckle and have their DTs bull-rush Free on every play.
Haha...I get the point. What is the dead cap we'd carry by releasing him?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol. That play is sad. My issue is, why isn't he cut already? His salary is a ******* joke at this point, what's the hold up? I would gladly pay any and every dead money to get him off the team, no reason he should be anywhere near our roster. We should put Parnell out there(aside from the fact that there is no drop off and he's like 10 million cheaper) at RT and tackle interior offensive line very heavy this off-season.

Next year see if we can find a franchise RT, and we should get high productivity from Romo for the next 3 years. If we want to maximize his final years here we have to do it, if we keep going for flashy positions he'll be running for his life and sadly his final play for us will end up being a devastating hit that he doesn't get up from.

I think it was the Bucs game, where Romo just got drilled and looked like he was never going to get up. I remember thinking, this is how we are going to end the Romo era, we are going to get him killed in a similiar situation and we won't have any back-up plan in place.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Another FA target to keep an eye on is Sedrick Ellis. He's a bust obviously but he'll be really, really cheap. Much cheaper then Dorsey, and fits in our rotation with Hatcher & Ratliff pretty nicely. I'd like someone like him who has some experience there who may turn it around.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Lol. That play is sad. My issue is, why isn't he cut already? His salary is a ******* joke at this point, what's the hold up? I would gladly pay any and every dead money to get him off the team, no reason he should be anywhere near our roster. We should put Parnell out there(aside from the fact that there is no drop off and he's like 10 million cheaper) at RT and tackle interior offensive line very heavy this off-season.

Next year see if we can find a franchise RT, and we should get high productivity from Romo for the next 3 years. If we want to maximize his final years here we have to do it, if we keep going for flashy positions he'll be running for his life and sadly his final play for us will end up being a devastating hit that he doesn't get up from.

I think it was the Bucs game, where Romo just got drilled and looked like he was never going to get up. I remember thinking, this is how we are going to end the Romo era, we are going to get him killed in a similiar situation and we won't have any back-up plan in place.
We've probably spent more dead money than most teams in the last few years. How much guaranteed money do we owe him and for how many years?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
We've probably spent more dead money than most teams in the last few years. How much guaranteed money do we owe him and for how many years?
Step 2. Cut Doug Free
Designate Free as a June 1st cut
New 2013 Cap Number - $4,175,000
New 2014 Cap Number - $4,175,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $7,000,000

Cutting him before June 1st would result in it costing more to cut him than to keep him. I imagine Free will get the option to take a pay cut or will be sent packing.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/doug-free/
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Step 2. Cut Doug Free
Designate Free as a June 1st cut
New 2013 Cap Number - $4,175,000
New 2014 Cap Number - $4,175,000
Total 2013 Cap Savings - $7,000,000

Cutting him before June 1st would result in it costing more to cut him than to keep him. I imagine Free will get the option to take a pay cut or will be sent packing.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/doug-free/

Sometimes I really question the set-up of our contracts we hand out. We back load them so bad that it just ends up getting you in a screwed position. At the same time guys are declining their pay is going up heavily. He jumped up from 4 to 10 million+ where he would be at for the next 3 years, that's crazy. Same deal with Austins' contract, he went from 2 million to 8 million. 18 million dollars for a RT and a #2 WR and third option in the passing game.

That's just a collosal waste of money that never seems like a big deal because their first few years are dirt cheap. We've got to start investing money where the value is at, or trust our drafting more just suck it up and let guys walk sometimes. If we re-sign Spencer we can expect this same issue there too.

Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Free won't be cut until June 1st. That's the only delay. Waiting till June 1st allows us to prorate his signing bonus over the remaining years on his deal.

...as for Sedrick Ellis... I'm right there with ya. Did you check out my mock offseason?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Free won't be cut until June 1st. That's the only delay. Waiting till June 1st allows us to prorate his signing bonus over the remaining years on his deal.

...as for Sedrick Ellis... I'm right there with ya. Did you check out my mock offseason?
Yea when Trogdor posted that I had no clue, that makes a ton of sense. I actually hadn't seen the finished mock off-season I guess I should take a look.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

You guys hear Kiffin has been telling players to study tape on Seattle? That makes me feel a lot better about how we'll use Claiborne and Carr. We spent heavy resources to get them because of their press man skills so this is music to my ears.

Also makes me wonder if we'll go the route of elephant DE opposite Ware, as we know Seattle plays Bryant on the strong side. Would certainly make Spencer expendable. Maybe Hatcher is a guy they look at to fill that role?