Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a positive note...if Singletary were to get the DC job, our LB corps would almost certainly become one of the best in the league. He may be in over his head when it comes to running a whole team, but he knows how to get great production from the second level. Plus, it's not a bad fit. He and Fisher played together for 4 years in Chicago.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:37 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Shane did a new 3-round mock in the Mock Draft forum. I'd have to say, I'll be ecstatic if our draft turns out the way he has it.

1. Chance Warmack OG
1. Zach Ertz TE
2. Arthur Brown LB
3. Jonathan Cyprien S

LOVE it.
I went to find this mock and it only showed me the first round. If you can find the link would you mind posting it here?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Also, Arthur Brown is the other LB that I really like. He seems like a great fit for what we like to do. Fast, instinctive, sure tackler, but not super flashy, and doesn't tend to lose focus. I only saw him play a few times, but he impressed me with his nose for the ball and cool demeanor.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
Williams was all over the place in the Senior Bowl.
When lining up at OLB? Because everything I've seen and read about him suggests he profiles strictly on the inside.

Quote:
I think the worst scenario for us would be if Smith and Barkley were the only 2 QB's taken, and the entire group I mentioned was gone as well. No one is moving up to take Glennon or Wilson. Their asses are firmly planted in the Green room until the 2nd day.
No, I think the worst case scenario is the one in which none of these QBs go before the Rams' pick, and there's no real interest in trading up for one.

There are some who believe there aren't any first round caliber quarterbacks in this class. My gut tells me that doesn't happen, but IMO, it's the worst case scenario. Because even if Geno and Barkley go Top 15, that's two slots where a QB is going and another player isn't.

If no QB goes Top 15, then two more prospects the Rams could be interested in are off the board. Combine that with minimal trade interest, and that spells bad news.

But as you said, the position is of such high value that I don't see that happening.

Quote:
Love the Wheaton selection, a "big" wr would be nice but I don't think it's a requirement. heck 99-03 wasn't our tallest receiver Torry Holt at 6'0?
Yes, in an entirely different type of offense.

Quote:
Uh oh...I'm not sure how I feel about this. Mike Singletary has interviewed for the Rams DC job.
I'm indifferent at this point. It's going to be Fisher's defense, and the rest of the defensive staff is already assembled. I'm starting to think it doesn't matter who they bring in now, to be honest.

Quote:
I went to find this mock and it only showed me the first round. If you can find the link would you mind posting it here?
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55541

Quote:
Also, Arthur Brown is the other LB that I really like. He seems like a great fit for what we like to do. Fast, instinctive, sure tackler, but not super flashy, and doesn't tend to lose focus. I only saw him play a few times, but he impressed me with his nose for the ball and cool demeanor.
I like Brown, absolutely. If he's there in the second and the Rams haven't done much to improve at OLB, he'd be a great pick.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

According to Jason La Canfora, the Rams are approximately $2-3 million over the projected cap right now. That's before any cuts, restructurings, etc.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...cap-quandaries
Old 02-11-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
According to Jason La Canfora, the Rams are approximately $2-3 million over the projected cap right now. That's before any cuts, restructurings, etc.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...cap-quandaries
Interesting. Didn't we just hear that we were $10mil-$12mil under? I wonder how two reports can be so far apart? I have to think that this report is fairly correct, as ESPN is under high scrutiny for everything they report.

Still, after looking at where some teams are sitting, I have to feel pretty good at where we stand. I think we will cut more dead weight this offseason and add a lot more talent through the draft.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Hmmm...I kind of like this fit. I didn't know anything about Tim Walton before reading this article. Evidently he has interviewed for our open DC position.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/2/...ator?ref=yahoo
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Interesting. Didn't we just hear that we were $10mil-$12mil under? I wonder how two reports can be so far apart? I have to think that this report is fairly correct, as ESPN is under high scrutiny for everything they report.

Still, after looking at where some teams are sitting, I have to feel pretty good at where we stand. I think we will cut more dead weight this offseason and add a lot more talent through the draft.
Actually at one time this year the Rams were about 10 - 15 million under the cap. Then they resigned both Chris Long and James Laurinaitis to long term deals and that just about ate up most of our available cap space.

I think this is how Kroenke and Demoff are going to do business going forward.

It should work out better for us in the long run.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hmmm...I kind of like this fit. I didn't know anything about Tim Walton before reading this article. Evidently he has interviewed for our open DC position.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/2/...ator?ref=yahoo
I still think that Dick Jauron is the best man for the job. He has years of experience in the 4 - 3 and would most likely be a good fit for what Fish and co. want to do defensively.

Walton might be a decent DB coach but I see no evidence that he would be a better DC than a guy like Jauron.

We should know pretty soon, however.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyRamsFan View Post
I still think that Dick Jauron is the best man for the job. He has years of experience in the 4 - 3 and would most likely be a good fit for what Fish and co. want to do defensively.

Walton might be a decent DB coach but I see no evidence that he would be a better DC than a guy like Jauron.

We should know pretty soon, however.
Jauron does have the experience. However, Walton has worked with Schwartz for 4 years. Thus, he should have a strong understanding of Fisher's defense.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure I have a "favorite" for the Defensive Coordinator spot. At the end of the day it'll still be Jeff Fisher's defense. I like Mike Singeltary and think he gets a bad rap for some of the way he handled things in San Francisco, dude is a great Defensive Minded coach. I also think the same can be sad about Dick Jauron, he's a below average Head Coach but he is a very good Defensive Coordinator.

As for the Cap, I didn't think the Rams would be over the cap so that's a surprise. I'm not worried though, I think when we make the cuts we need to make we'll be somewhere around 16-18 million under the Cap.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure I have a "favorite" for the Defensive Coordinator spot. At the end of the day it'll still be Jeff Fisher's defense. I like Mike Singeltary and think he gets a bad rap for some of the way he handled things in San Francisco, dude is a great Defensive Minded coach. I also think the same can be sad about Dick Jauron, he's a below average Head Coach but he is a very good Defensive Coordinator.

As for the Cap, I didn't think the Rams would be over the cap so that's a surprise. I'm not worried though, I think when we make the cuts we need to make we'll be somewhere around 16-18 million under the Cap.
I agree, but I also think it speaks volumes that Fisher is not satisfied with taking the first guy that comes along. We have a great thing going, an up and coming team, but the building process is still early, and he wants to make sure that whoever comes on board adds to that momentum rather than throwing a kink in the chain. Personally, I think this position is more important than we all originally thought; otherwise it would have been filled already.

I would like to think we will be able to sign Turner and Hayes, as well as adding a few decent role players. Our future lies in the draft, but adding veteran talent here and there will also play a part. I don't see us making a huge splash, but I'm okay with that.

And, the more I think about it, the more I am ready to move on from Jackson and Amendola unless it is on really reasonable financial terms. Jackson has been a warrior, but I feel like having him is no longer worth what he costs in terms of salary. With Amendola, I just think Bradford is better without him. I know that sounds like a contradiction since Danny has been our best receiver the last 3 years, but when he is in the game Sam checks down to him quicker, doesn't run through his progressions as well, and doesn't go downfield nearly as often or with as much success. He spreads the ball around more when he doesn't have the crutch to lean on. I don't see Danny as a true #1, and I don't see anyone else breaking out and really taking off as long as he is the guy. I do wish him well in New England after Welker goes elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Interesting. Didn't we just hear that we were $10mil-$12mil under? I wonder how two reports can be so far apart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyRamsFan View Post
Actually at one time this year the Rams were about 10 - 15 million under the cap. Then they resigned both Chris Long and James Laurinaitis to long term deals and that just about ate up most of our available cap space.
Yeah, it seems Demoff prefers not to back load his contracts like other organizations do.

Laurinaitis got a small signing bonus ($2 million) but a huge 2013 roster bonus ($11 million) which boosts his cap charge this season to over $12 million at least, with more reasonable salaries later in the contract.

Long has a 2013 guaranteed salary of $13.25 million plus the portion of his pro-rated signing bonus to count for.

Quote:
I believe the Rams can free up nearly $17 million by getting the salaries of Wayne Hunter, Steven Jackson, and Quintin Mikell off the books, though I'm not sure cutting Mikell is in the best interest of the team since he played pretty well in 2012 and we already have one hole across from him.

But you have to remember at least $5-7 million of cap space has to be set aside for the rookie contracts. So in order to get to $16-18 million in room, while factoring in the above cuts and the upcoming rookie pool needed for this year's prospects, the Rams would probably have to find another $5-6 million to free up.

And that's assuming they don't use any of that room resigning their impending free agents, some of which they'd be wise to try and retain IMO.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh yeah I know, I've said from the beginning this will be a boring Free Agency year for the Rams.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Quote:
@AdamSchefter
Rams plan to hire Lions DB coach Tim Walton as their defensive coordinator.
Kinda figured it would be him. Rams wanted him last year.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Kinda figured it would be him. Rams wanted him last year.
I like it. I don't know a lot about him but he strikes me as a young innovative mind from what I have read.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Walton seems fine. I don't know enough about him as a coach to really say one way or another. My impression is that the Detroit secondary hasn't been a strength of that defense, but the Lions did finish in the Top 10 defensively in terms of opponent third down conversion rate, and Walton was in charge of third down defense I believe. As I've said before, ultimately this is Fisher's defense and the rest of the staff has already been assembled. Clearly he thinks Walton is a good fit since this is the second year he's approached him, so I'm just happy it's over.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
Walton seems fine. I don't know enough about him as a coach to really say one way or another. My impression is that the Detroit secondary hasn't been a strength of that defense, but the Lions did finish in the Top 10 defensively in terms of opponent third down conversion rate, and Walton was in charge of third down defense I believe. As I've said before, ultimately this is Fisher's defense and the rest of the staff has already been assembled. Clearly he thinks Walton is a good fit since this is the second year he's approached him, so I'm just happy it's over.
Kudos to that:-)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

I still prefer Dick Jauron for the job but if Fish thinks Walton is a better fit then I am on board.

I think that Fish knows what he is looking for when it comes to assistants and he has built an excellent support staff so far so I hope this hire works out as well.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Snead was on NFL Am yesterday and said stopping the pistol offense is top priority.

With us signing a New Linebackers coach, and the hire of Walton who ran the wide 9 in deteoit which puts more responsibility on your linebackers, maybe we draft a linebacker in the first round.

My favorite guy is Kevin Minter. Not sure he can play outside but i would take him top 20. I think Ogletree is a good athlete but I'm not that high on him as a football player, anyone watch him? Am I missing something? I think he's more late 2nd, early 3rd.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Snead was on NFL Am yesterday and said stopping the pistol offense is top priority.

With us signing a New Linebackers coach, and the hire of Walton who ran the wide 9 in deteoit which puts more responsibility on your linebackers, maybe we draft a linebacker in the first round.

My favorite guy is Kevin Minter. Not sure he can play outside but i would take him top 20. I think Ogletree is a good athlete but I'm not that high on him as a football player, anyone watch him? Am I missing something? I think he's more late 2nd, early 3rd.
It wouldn't be my ideal pick as I'd like to see the Rams address other positions in the first round, but I do think OLB is a possibility and I view Ogletree as a Top 20-25 prospect in this class. He's just so athletic, and without a lot of college experience at the position, could really shine if he gets coached up at the next level. Then Dunbar would come off the field in obvious passing situations, as he struggled last year in coverage.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

Quote:

The Rams are not converting to the "Wide Nine" defense. Walton is being brought in to run Jeff Fisher's defense. Period. He would not have been hired any other way, IMO.

While I agree we need to upgrade the OLB position (Kaseem Greene in the 2nd ! ) it is not so that we can change to the Wide Nine or any other defense.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I think my ideal scenario would be for the Rams to select Lane Johnson/Chance Warmack at #16 and then trade pick #22 for an additional 2nd and 3rd rounder. Maybe even another 1st rounder in 2014. in 2007 the Cowboys got a 2nd rounder in 2007 and a 1st rounder in 2008 for the Browns to jump up from pick #36 to pick #22 to select Brady Quinn.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
I think my ideal scenario would be for the Rams to select Lane Johnson/Chance Warmack at #16 and then trade pick #22 for an additional 2nd and 3rd rounder. Maybe even another 1st rounder in 2014. in 2007 the Cowboys got a 2nd rounder in 2007 and a 1st rounder in 2008 for the Browns to jump up from pick #36 to pick #22 to select Brady Quinn.
I'm totally down for this. Most of my favorite players this year are 2nd/3rd rounders.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

Lol reports are the Rams are cutting Titus Young today.
Closed Thread