Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tom Gable left as VP of player personnel to take a similar position with the Eagles. Kind of surprsing since he interviewed for a couple of GM positions also. But he started his career in scouting with the Eagles under his dad, who was team president back in the day so maybe he felt like he was going back home. Still sucks losing him to a lateral move. We'll most likely promote from within. Probably Joe Patten gets promoted. He has the experience and worked with Baalke back in the day.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Harvin is a better player than Wallace and Bowe. I like Wallace, though.
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. Personally, guys like Megatron and Fitz are elite receivers while Wallace and Bowe are top tier while guys like Harvin are second tier. Personally, I think that if you take Harvin out of the done and off turf for eight more games a season, his production will drop. Also, he's a head case. Bowe looks like a Saint in comparison. Seriously, any player who cant get along with Frazier is a player I dont even want to think about coming to SF because with Harbaugh, that player and him would be clashing all the damn time.

While I can agree and say that Wallace wouldnt fit in with Smith as the QB when compared to Kaepernick because of Smith's lack of arm strength and ability to throw downfield with accuracy, I believe that Wallace would be the perfect starter opposite Crabtree. In a passing league, you need two great receivers. Wallace as the speed guy, Crabtree as the possession guy and Davis as well, Davis. LOL. Perfect trio in my opinion.

Have to take advantage of Kaepernick's arm while we have the years to do so. Releasing/trading Alex Smith and letting Moss leave already gives us about $11m in cap room. Dont know about anyone else here but I would rather pay $10-12m a year for Wallace instead of paying a backup and a player who's past his prime and quite honestly, is done. If you're going to spend money, I rather have that ONE elite healthy dynamic playmaker instead of two or three veterans who are basically just one year stopgaps anyway.

In the end, I know that its not going to happen but a speed and deep threat like Wallace is the only player we even need in FA. Everywhere else is backups and could be acquired via the draft. I really dont want to see the team spend money on an aging WR like Jennings for example when you could just double it and get a young playmaking stud instead.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
My general thoughts on the offseason...

On our own FA's, i have a feeling Goldson is the only priority. RJF is solid but seems to lack a consistent pass rush. Walker is versatile but he's in line for a pay upgrade and is very inconsistent with drops. Sopoaga is old and only played 31% of defensive snaps per Maiocco, we were mainly in a nickel D this year. Maybe tender some RFA's like Brock for ST's too.

UFA, I don't think we'll be a big player. Not Baalke's MO to sign guys to big deals. Maybe some bargain FA's, or some old 30+ guys on their last legs to be backups- aka Clark Haggans, Randy Moss, and Leonard Davis (all UFA's i expect to walk this year). Amendola would be my top choice if he fits the financial bill.

Draft, defensively get front 7 depth. A guy who could be the heir for Justin Smith (Joe Kruger from Utah?), and another pass rusher are my top 2 defensive priorities. Another S who can take over for Whitner in a year too. Then a NT, and some general depth at CB/ILB (i like Michael Wilhoite as a STer/backup ILB too). Offensively, we could use a playmaker- maybe a Corderelle Patterson or Markus Wheaton somewhere? A #2 TE like Levine Toilloi (sp?) would be solid too. Then some OL depth. We can also afford luxury picks like a Marcus Lattimore as a Gore heir apparent, if we want. And of course, get a K.

As for future extensions....Goldson this year. Kaep, Aldon, Iupati, Davis, Crabtree, Tarrell Brown all need to have their contracts looked at in a year or 2. Can't keep everyone and priority 1 and 2 have to be Kaep and Aldon.
Our own FA's -

I agree 100% in regards to Goldson and I dont know which is correct but even if he's franchised, it would be less than $7.5m or less than $7.0m for 2013. I dont know which one is correct. Either way, thats cheap in my opinion. Should re-sign him long term though. Hope the team re-signs Walker and Jean Francois. Want to see Jean Francois as a NT instead of a DE. Like Walker but hate his drops but at the same time, I think that he was Kaep's second favorite target and I want continuity as well as consistency. Cant have that if you're switching players every season. Have no interest in keeping Sopoaga. Brock is an RFA and see him as a 49er in 2013. Would like to re-sign Grant and Gooden but only if the price is right which it should be as I dont see either being in demand.

FA -

I agree that I dont see Baalke going after a top tier player and if it wasnt for Manningham's injury, I wouldnt even want Wallace but I see Manningham as expendable and not worth the wait to see how he heals which wouldnt be until pre-season. I want the offensive starters set after the Draft so Kaepernick has the entire off-season to get the chemistry needed to become a better QB. I can see a second tier player but looking at a year ago compared to 2011, it was bad.

Signed Moss - average at best. Claims to be the GOAT but he's done and forget to show up in the Super Bowl. Dont want him back. Waste of money and not needed. Haggans - old, long past his prime and simply, he's also done. Leonard Davis might have been the best of the three but thats not saying much either. Done. Re-signed veteran CB Carlos Rogers. He declined like I said he would and quite simply, its worth the money of his contract. Hopefully, he'll be released before the new league year starts. Ginn also declined and isnt worth re-signing unless its for the minimum. Bye bye.

I have NO interest in Amendola whatsoever. He's missed 20 out of the last 32 games and I dont care how good a player, he's worthless if he's never healthy. I still like Kyle Williams as the slot receiver and while we have to wait and see how he comes back from his injury, at under $600,000, he's worth keeping around. Also, unlike Manningham, he can play ST and return kicks/punts. Williams has way more value and upside for much less.

Team doesnt need to go nuts since every starting spot is already filled except for that second WR spot and I dont want to see an old aging veteran who isnt worth what he's getting paid again. There's no other UFA that I even care about or have any interest in after Wallace (and Bowe). No point because with so many draft picks, dont need to spend money on aging veterans or average at best players. Get the playmaker and done until Draft time.

Draft wise -

I'm waiting for the NFL Combine to see who seems to be good fits but I have read that pass rushing OLB's are a deep class. If that's true, another pass rushing OLB would be one of my top three draft picks. In fact, im hoping for a situational pass rushing OLB, starting center, a future 3-4 DE to replace Smith and a cornerback in the first three rounds. Other depth would be a redzone target at WR and just depth at both tackle spots and the RG spot. After that, depends on what happens with Walker, Grant, Jean-Francois, Gooden and Brock.

Future extensions -

Agree for the most part but guys like Kaepernick and Aldon cant be extended until next off-season due to the labor deal. Brown would be 50/50 depending on if they can get a CB this year who could be a starter in 2014. Iupati, Davis and Crabtree are guarantees. Must keep the offense intact and explosive for as long as Kaepernick is our starting QB which should be for a long time to come.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big time receivers almost never live up to the mega deals they sign. Which is why I don't think we'll ever get a top name in the free agent market. Vincent Jackson was the first one a while that worked out really well for his new team. Other than that I can't think of many others. Brandon Marshall was traded and has done well with two teams, but I'm not sure if that counts as he was never signed as a free agent. Anyways, the point is that the majority of big names flop. Even though Manningham is coming off a knee injury, I wouldn't feel so bad if he and Crabtree were our starting receivers next year with Jenkins and Williams as the backups. That leaves a fifth receiver who probably won't make a huge impact anyways other than special teams. And it's not like we got five wide or even four wide with just our receivers anyways.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would like to sign Ramses Barden with his size he could be a good help in the redzone. We really don't have much size and with a Barden on the outside that would be a great extra. Add Toilolo via the draft and you can just let those guys get the ball where other guys can't.
Justone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still hope we draft a damn kicker , its about time we do that.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well we cant do that till April so we will see by then. Truly hope Akers will be gone but if we either draft one or sign a young one like the guy we had in training camp last year i don't care but we do need a new one.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Goldson and Delanie back. Its a nickname but Delanie is literally the swiss army knife meaning he does everything! I'll pray we can get him back at a reasonable price. Don't care much for Sop.. easily replaceable.

I wouldn't mind Mike Wallace. Crabtree seemed to benefit from the attention Randy Moss got over the top and Mike Wallace could fit that role and then some.

Draft wise, I see them going defense heavy. At first, I wanted Sharif Floyd to replace Justin Smith, but the more film that gets broken down on this guy, the higher he shoots up the board. A lot of guys are mocking Jesse Williams to us and i'm not against that.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You mean, Delanie "Stone Hands" Walker?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You mean, Delanie "Stone Hands" Walker?
yeah he definitely became stone handed in the latter half of the season but let him walk and we're losing a well rounded TE (receiving and blocking) who was a pretty big part of the offense.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Harvin reportedly wants Fitz / Megatron $.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Guy is nuts.
Context of the article guys. It's purely speculation made by someone without knowledge of any contract talks between Harvin's agent and the team.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baalke WILL NEVER spend money on a big name WR. Not while Jimbaugh is the HC. A WR wont get nearly enough targets or production in this offesne to justify that kind of price tag. Not the way Jimbaugh uses personnel and packages. None of our WRs play every snap. Crabtree is our #1 WR and he isnt a every down player. So your going to pay Wallace 10-12 million a year to play around 80-85% of the snaps at his respective position? That's asinine. It won't happen. Guys like Manningham and Moss can be had for much less and as long as they can and still be just as productive, those low-level FA signings will be the norm. Our offense doesn't need a Megatron or a Wallace. Sure those guys would be nice but as much as we run the ball and cater to a balanced offense, you would be crazy to spend on that kind of money on a position that will never justify it with its production. Remember, if MM doesn't get hurt, Crabs probably doesn't eclipse 1,000 yards receiving. If you spending that kind of money on WRs, you better be in a offense that throws the ball a ton and can justify upgrading that position. And guys want to be used. They want be on the field, so this isn't a destination that would be attractive to top tier free agent WRs. It one of the reasons Moss doesn't want to come back and play for us next year. Big-named WRs want to catch the ball, not run block.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-13-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
I want Goldson and Delanie back. Its a nickname but Delanie is literally the swiss army knife meaning he does everything! I'll pray we can get him back at a reasonable price. Don't care much for Sop.. easily replaceable.

I wouldn't mind Mike Wallace. Crabtree seemed to benefit from the attention Randy Moss got over the top and Mike Wallace could fit that role and then some.

Draft wise, I see them going defense heavy. At first, I wanted Sharif Floyd to replace Justin Smith, but the more film that gets broken down on this guy, the higher he shoots up the board. A lot of guys are mocking Jesse Williams to us and i'm not against that.
What does Walker do that can't be replicated by anyone else? Be used as a crackback blocker? Celek can't do that? What else has he done that has been so magnificent? It's not like we used him to pass the ball down field on gadget plays. We don't hand the ball off to him to see what he can do as a runner. Walker isn't a dominant one on one blocker.

Walker is good at getting open as a receiving tight end. That is his main strength. Unfortunately he can't catch very well. He dropped 1/3 of his passes this past season. That's inexcusable. Maybe if he came back on the cheap, but that won't happen. I bet some team snatches him up and he walks with an overpaid deal. I'll take my chances with Celek.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Baalke WILL NEVER spend money on a big name WR. Not while Jimbaugh is the HC. A WR wont get nearly enough targets or production in this offesne to justify that kind of price tag. Not the way Jimbaugh uses personnel and packages. None of our WRs play every snap. Crabtree is our #1 WR and he isnt a every down player. So your going to pay Wallace 10-12 million a year to play around 80-85% of the snaps at his respective position? That's asinine. It won't happen. Guys like Manningham and Moss can be had for much less and as long as they can and still be just as productive, those low-level FA signings will be the norm. Our offense doesn't need a Megatron or a Wallace. Sure those guys would be nice but as much as we run the ball and cater to a balanced offense, you would be crazy to spend on that kind of money on a position that will never justify it with its production. Remember, if MM doesn't get hurt, Crabs probably doesn't eclipse 1,000 yards receiving. If you spending that kind of money on WRs, you better be in a offense that throws the ball a ton and can justify upgrading that position. And guys want to be used. They want be on the field, so this isn't a destination that would be attractive to top tier free agent WRs. It one of the reasons Moss doesn't want to come back and play for us next year. Big-named WRs want to catch the ball, not run block.
Well said. Besides, I really don't want another Brandon Jacobs on the team complaining that he isn't getting enough playing time or isn't catching enough balls. I hope we maintain at the balance that we've had on offenses these past two seasons and don't start going looney toons throwing the football just because we have someone that seems like they could stick around as the starter at QB.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tremendous article on the possibility of getting compensation for Alex Smith...

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/2/6...r-what-to-whom
Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post

No one is trading their first round pick for Alex Smith. They are going to laugh and hang up the phone. We'd be lucky to get a 2nd round pick.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
What does Walker do that can't be replicated by anyone else? Be used as a crackback blocker? Celek can't do that? What else has he done that has been so magnificent? It's not like we used him to pass the ball down field on gadget plays. We don't hand the ball off to him to see what he can do as a runner. Walker isn't a dominant one on one blocker.

Walker is good at getting open as a receiving tight end. That is his main strength. Unfortunately he can't catch very well. He dropped 1/3 of his passes this past season. That's inexcusable. Maybe if he came back on the cheap, but that won't happen. I bet some team snatches him up and he walks with an overpaid deal. I'll take my chances with Celek.
Not many guys with his blocking ability have the speed to get to the edge like he does.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

I understand what Ness is coming. Walker is supremu frustrating. Athletically talented, gets open with ease most of the time. He just lacks the concentration to be counted on in big moments. Still pissed him for dropping the go-ahead TD against the Rams that would have won us the game and gave CK his first fourth quarter comeback. Its seems like his hands have gotten worst and worst. I remember in his early days, he couldn't block a lick but would catch everything thrown to him.

But he brings versatility to the run game. Menardo said it, he has the speed and the athleticism to block in space and get to the boundary on those outside runs. Not sure Celek has the quickness to do that. We'll give him a shot though. Don't see Walker back though. I believe we will try to bring him back at price Baalke sees fit but we'll easily fetch more on the open market. But he's defintely has value to this offense. You can tell because rarely does he or VD leave the field on offense.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-14-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

It's weird. I never heard anything about Walker and his versatility and how good he is before Roman and Harbaugh arrived. He's been here since 2006 too. I just think Walker isn't as irreplaceable as I've heard from some 49ers fans.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
It's weird. I never heard anything about Walker and his versatility and how good he is before Roman and Harbaugh arrived. He's been here since 2006 too. I just think Walker isn't as irreplaceable as I've heard from some 49ers fans.
He's improved his blocking throughout the years. Don't know where you've been but Delaine was always talked about as being a guy who could be a dangerous threat once he improved his blocking and wasnt so one dimensional. Or maybe you didn't see him on kick returns, almost taking them to the house. If that ain't versatile for a TE, I dont know what is. I remember me and a lot of other ppl complaing on the .com boards about Rayne not using 2 TEs sets enough because we wanted to get the ball into Walker's hands. That's when a lot ppl where getting on VD and his drops back then. But you could see Walker was improving his blocking around 2009-2010 season. He just didn't get alot of targets because the offense back then was really a one TE offense. But when Jimbaugh got here, he stepped it up a notch because he had to. The mutiple TEs he and Roman used meant he would see more snaps so his improvement in that area became more paramount. So yea, your right...it wasn't until Roman got here that he was asked to do those things all while having more of a role in the offense.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I don't see a pick that high for Alex. I am expecting early second round pick, at best.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

In regards to Delanie Walker...

I think he's really undervalued by us as 49ers fans. I'm not aware of another player in the NFL that plays as many offensive and ST snaps as he does for what he makes.

If he wasn't very good, Harbaugh wouldn't have him all the field nearly every single snap, every single game.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

I think its more that Walker isn't really standing out in one area. He can do a multitude of things at an above average level but in none he stands out. As a receiver he can get open but he doesn't have good hands and as a blocker he is good but not great. For a decent price i would love to keep him but he isn't worth starter money which he can get somewhere else i guess.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm on my iPad and can't link it but apparently mortenson tweeted that the 49ers are receiving very little interest and may have to cut him.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
He's improved his blocking throughout the years. Don't know where you've been but Delaine was always talked about as being a guy who could be a dangerous threat once he improved his blocking and wasnt so one dimensional. Or maybe you didn't see him on kick returns, almost taking them to the house. If that ain't versatile for a TE, I dont know what is. I remember me and a lot of other ppl complaing on the .com boards about Rayne not using 2 TEs sets enough because we wanted to get the ball into Walker's hands. That's when a lot ppl where getting on VD and his drops back then. But you could see Walker was improving his blocking around 2009-2010 season. He just didn't get alot of targets because the offense back then was really a one TE offense. But when Jimbaugh got here, he stepped it up a notch because he had to. The mutiple TEs he and Roman used meant he would see more snaps so his improvement in that area became more paramount. So yea, your right...it wasn't until Roman got here that he was asked to do those things all while having more of a role in the offense.
I've been here the entire time. Walker has improved his blocking over the years, but he still isn't a master or league standard of it. And Walker has speed for a tight end. This was never a question as he was a receiver in college. So it's not surprising he returned a kickoff a good distance once or twice. That still doesn't make him some highly coveted player that is so special he can't possibly be replaced. And I actually like Walker. I see him for what his main strength is though which is getting open and catching passes. Just wish he could catch them more often.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-14-2013 at 12:59 PM.