Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
In regards to Delanie Walker...

I think he's really undervalued by us as 49ers fans. I'm not aware of another player in the NFL that plays as many offensive and ST snaps as he does for what he makes.

If he wasn't very good, Harbaugh wouldn't have him all the field nearly every single snap, every single game.
I don't think ppl think he's undervalued. I think ppl are frustrated with the drops, as that is what is most glaring. The STs stuff I'm not going to really hold in high-regard in being that most back-up TEs play some sort of STs around the league. Might not be as a returner, but still they have some sort of role on STs for the most part.

What I'm saying is Walker does have a unique skill-set and it has improved, despite what Ness might think. He may not be on a VD level, but he isn't Aaron Hernandez either. He's defintely not a liability as a in-line blocker like he was earlier in his career. And at 240 lbs, were not going to ask him to do what a VD does anyway. Bit his skill-set is probably more valuable to us, in that the offense we run utilizes and values that skill-set probably more so than others. The question is how valuable is it? Just how much can you really commit to a backup TE? This is probably Walker's last chance at a payday. And I'm sure he wants to cash in.
VAfy-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The two games in the Harbaugh era without Walker I remember being very boring scheme wise in the running game. There were a lot of packages that couldn't be used which hurt the offense. Not saying he is irreplaceable but it is not easy to find guys with his skill set.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Walker is worth keeping around as he does much more than one thing and has done well in the Niners system. He had a horrible stretch receiving this season but he does so many other little things that are undervalued. Harbaugh loves to use his TEs so if Walker goes, they'll have to invest a high pick in one anyway, hoping he can do all the things that Delanie does. They don't need a starting TE to received 8-10 targets a game; they need a utility man that gets many jobs done and I'd rather they play DWalk (within reason) that roll the dice on some rook.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with 12 Picks in the Draft

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a few responses from the last page or so worth of posts -

1) WR Mike Wallace and the WR position in general

I know Baalke isnt even going to go after Wallace but he and Harbaugh should. Dont know about anyone else but I remember seeing the 49ers PASS all four times at the end of the Super Bowl. Harbaugh knows that to be successful in this league now, its NOT a power running game that you need first and foremost, its a legitmate passing attack with a lot receiving weapons. Harbaugh made the switch from Smith to Kaepernick due to Alex's concussion but stayed with Kaepernick because unlike Smith, Kaepernick is a far greater threat as a runner but also as a PASSER.

People here say that if we had Morgan last year against the Giants, the game would have ended differently. Well, you could say the same for the Super Bowl. If it was Manningham out there instead of Moss, the result could have been the opposite. Aside from Crabtree and Davis, we really didnt have anyone else stand out or be a threat down field.

Wallace is the PERFECT starter opposite Crabtree because he does what Crabtree cant do. Simply, outrun defenders and take the top of the defense which opens up everything underneath even more for guys like Crabtree, Davis, Walker and others.

While people may think that spending $10m a year on Wallace is a waste of money, I would consider spending almost $4m on Manningham and re-signing Moss to what he received in 2012 which I believe was $2.5m for a total of about $6.5m to be a FAR BIGGER WASTE OF MONEY because where's the production? Where's the threat down field? Where's the ability to turn a five yard slant into an 80 yard TD? Simple answer is that there's none of that.

Manningham was doing good and I was hoping that the team would extend him but he was injury prone throughout the season and was eventually lost in the Seahawks game. He's not expected to be fully healed and ready until pre-season. Sorry but spending $4m on him is a waste of $4m when it can go to a WR who has only missed ONE game in four seasons, has an average of 58.3 receptions, 1011 yards and 8 touchdowns.

I honestly dont see how that's bad at all. Some here want Crabtree to get his extension but based on what exactly? A half year of FINALLY living up to what he should have been three years ago? Only took him three and a half years to finally become a legitimate number one WR for us which considering who the other receivers have been since he was drafted, he should have been a legitimate number one receiver since day one but wasnt until basically, Kaepernick took over at QB. Hell, if it wasnt for Kaepernick starting at QB, everyone here may still be complaining about when Crabtree is finally going to show that he was worth a top ten draft pick.

Bottom line is that while $10-12m a season may be a lot of money for a WR, its better to spend double on a legitimate deep threat who's a playmaker as opposed to truly wasting money on an average player or old veteran yet again. And sorry, but on the field, Moss was a waste of $2.5m. Greatest of all time, my ******* ass!!! Probably not even in most people's top five let alone the best. Give me a break. I was hoping that Moss was going to breakout every week and instead, he didnt exist. Super Bowl, he didnt even make an attempt at the Kaepernick pass that even pissed off Jerry Rice who was watching in a luxury box. Come on.

I'm NOT looking for a bunch of awesome FA's like I have in years past. Just one guy and that one guy is Wallace because he's EXACTLY what this team needs at WR opposite Crabtree. With finally having a QB who can actually gun the ball downfield with strength AND accuracy, having a deep threat like Wallace is the perfect weapon to go along with Crabtree, Davis and others.

People look at the money and complain. Well, you want a good player, you have to pay to get him and quite simply, how the contract is structured is far more important than hearing 5 years/$50m because chances are, majority of that $50m the player is never going to see (ala Nate Clements).

Some here want Amendola but WHY and WHAT THE HELL FOR? So, he can paid $7m+ to be on the bench because he's injured all the damn time? People can say that spending the money on Wallace is a waste but spending even half on a player like Amendola is far worse because you're not getting ANYTHING period in return except a player who's injured 65% of the time. No thanks to an injury prone and plagued guy. Let him stay in STL.

As for our other receivers, I could say the same thing about Kyle Williams that I said about Manningham but the differences are 1) Williams is a pefect slot receiver in my opinion, 2) can play special teams, 3) can return kicks and punts, 4) should be ready for all off season workouts after the Draft and 5) is under $600,000 for 2013 compared to almost $4m for Manningham.

A.J. Jenkins has a LONG way to go and im not expecting a damn thing out of him whatsoever. Moss will hopefully be gone as he should be along with Ginn. Sign Wallace, draft a huge redzone target and the WR position is set for at least the next five years to be with Kaepernick.

But hey, if you guys think injury prone players or washed up veterans are actually worth any amount of money, thats up to you. Me personally, if im going to spend any money, I would rather spend it on a young stud who's in his prime and has been healthy his entire four year career but thats just my own personal opinion.

2) QB Alex Smith

I'll be shocked if ANY team trades for Smith because quite simply, no team is going to pay him $8.5m in 2013 and trade away a draft pick to acquire him when they can just wait until he gets released and offer him a contract. He takes it, he takes it, he doesnt, he doesnt. No biggie either way. Personally, instead of wasting time trying to trade him for a 7th rounder that probably wouldnt even make the roster anyway come September, release his ass and re-sign Goldson BEFORE the deadline for the franchise tag hits.

3) TE Delanie Walker

Like everyone here, I hate that he drops so many passes but he should be re-signed because after Crabtree, Walker was Kaepernick's second favorite target and was actually a weapon on offense when compared to Smith as the QB. He has good chemistry with Kaepernick. Continuity and consistency are the two most important factors in my opinion in regards to building around Kaepernick. Sign Wallace, re-sign Walker, draft a center to replace Goodwin and the offense is basically set for the next half decade.
dan77733 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Move on Dan. Wallace isn't coming to SF.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
I know. Its sad. Instead, we'll probably sign an average WR and an old aging washed up veteran who should just retire. But at least that wouldnt be a waste of money. <sarcasm>
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never fear Dan, we can always pay Jerome Simpson 4 million to "stretch" the field
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Other than Bowe and Wallace there are zero offensive FA's I want.

Possible exception: A TE2 if Delanie walks.....ie James Casey

Last edited by Shupp : 02-14-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Never fear Dan, we can always pay Jerome Simpson 4 million to "stretch" the field
God forbid.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not having Mike Wallace clearly screwed us over in our chances to win the Super Bowl.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Not having Mike Wallace clearly screwed us over in our chances to win the Super Bowl.
Horrible playcalling and the defense deciding not to show up until after the lights went out is what screwed us.

As for Wallace, I'll never understand why so many fans rather have average at best players, injury prone players or old washed up veterans who should have stayed retired instead of a in his prime excellent receiver but to each his/her own I guess.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Horrible playcalling and the defense deciding not to show up until after the lights went out is what screwed us.

As for Wallace, I'll never understand why so many fans rather have average at best players, injury prone players or old washed up veterans who should have stayed retired instead of a in his prime excellent receiver but to each his/her own I guess.
Precisely. Which is why Wallace isn't needed here. We go to the Super Bowl without him and it was the mental errors that screwed us over. The playcalling wasn't that bad aside from the final drive inside the 10 yard line, but that's irrelevant. Point is, we don't need a receiver that is going to demand a lot of money and won't catch his 80-100 balls in this offense.

Just because Wallace isn't wanted or needed doesn't mean that folks prefer average players, injured players, or over the hill players. That's terrible logic. Have you forgot about the NFL Draft? And you don't need to have a big household name to be an effective player within a certain offense.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-15-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Precisely. Which is why Wallace isn't needed here. We go to the Super Bowl without him and it was the mental errors that screwed us over. The playcalling wasn't that bad aside from the final drive inside the 10 yard line, but that's irrelevant. Point is, we don't need a receiver that is going to demand a lot of money and won't catch his 80-100 balls in this offense.

Just because Wallace isn't wanted or needed doesn't mean that folks prefer average players, injured players, or over the hill players. That's terrible logic. Have you forgot about the NFL Draft? And you don't need to have a big household name to be an effective player within a certain offense.
I agree with you up to where you said that he wont catch 80-100 balls in this offense. Granted, we were behind but the majority of the Super Bowl was passing. Harbaugh made the switch to Kaepernick in order to PASS MORE. Not run more. Wallace doesnt need to catch 80-100 balls to surpass a 1000 yards and get at least 8 TD's. He can do it in 60. My entire point is that this offense NEEDS another receiver, a deep threat playmaking receiver. Wallace is exactly that. We DONT have Smith as the QB anymore. We finally have a QB who can actually throw the ball down field 50+ yards with accuracy. A WR like Wallace would open up the rest of the offense more than any gimmick play calling would do. Also, there would be plenty of times where Wallace simply outruns the defenders for a touchdown thus avoiding us being horrible in the redzone in regards to scoring touchdowns.

As for average, injured or old washed up players. Some here want Moss to return but what the hell for? So he can claim he's the greatest of all time and then disappear in the Super Bowl again while getting paid $2.5m which is a bigger waste than overpaying Wallace. Others want Amendola and again, what the hell for? So he can miss the next 20 out of 32 games in a Niners uniform while getting paid $6m+ or whatever the hell he's looking to get paid? Seriously, come on man.

I understand that Wallace wouldnt be cheap but spending $10m on him is a far better decision than spending that $10m on two or three receivers who arent half as good and wouldnt even match his production, let alone surpass it.

As for the Draft, I havent forgotten about it at all and while I wouldnt mind a huge redzone target mid-late rounds, I sure as hell dont want to see us draft another WR in the first three rounds just so he can be 5th or 6th on the depth chart. No thanks. To me, thats a waste.

Money wise, I was just on NinerCapHell and according to that site, if the team were to release Smith, Rogers, Goodwin, Manningham, Akers, Haralson, Dobbs and Tukuafu, they would free up $28.97m AFTER the signing bonus penalties. Smith is as good as gone. Rogers declined like I said he would a year ago plus Culliver should be a starter. He's too physical on the outside to be the nickelback. Goodwin is solid but the worst player on the OL and would be gone in a year anyway when his contract expires. Manningham wont be ready until pre-season and honestly, if it wasnt for his injury plagued season, I wouldnt even want Wallace but that didnt happen and I dont see the point in paying a player who's injury prone $4m when that money could go to a far better receiver who's only missed ONE game in four years. Harlason does provide depth but that depth could be replaced by someone younger, healthier, cheaper and with much bigger upside in the draft. Dobbs is coming off a season ending injury and we dont need him as a 280 pound TE. I would release Tukuafu mainly because with at least 11 draft picks, I would find replacements for him and the majority of others because they're younger, cheaper, under at least four year contracts and have far bigger upside.

In no particular order, a situational pass rushing OLB, a starting center, a nickelback, two offensive tackles, an offensive guard, a redzone target WR, a TE to replace Walker if he leaves, a defensive end early to eventually replace Justin Smith and another DE to backup McDonald. Last pick (not literally) goes to a rookie kicker.

Add in the money that we'll gain from these UFA's - Moss, Ginn, Walker, Leonard Davis, Sopoaga, Jean Francois, Grant, Gooden, Goldson, Jacobs and Haggans which total over $22.8m in cap room. Thats over $51m in cap room and even if you add the franchise tag for Goldson, team still has over $43.5m in cap room. Jean Francois and Walker would be second and third in terms of priority to re-sign with Grant and Gooden fourth and fifth but depends on their demands. The rest are GONE.

None of this includes the carryover from 2012 and the under $1m they already have in cap room for 2013. You're talking almost $55m in cap room for 2013.

Team can EASILY afford Wallace if they want to, franchise Goldson if needed, re-sign Jean Francois, Walker, Grant and Gooden if they want depending on their demands and STILL have plenty of cap room to extend players like Whitner, Brown, Iupati and Anthony Davis.

Any player who was drafted in 2011 cant be extended until they have completed three years of their rookie contract which means players like Kaepernick, Aldon, Culliver, Hunter, etc. cant be extended until a year from now at the earliest.

Once they get their draft class signed, they'll still have over $10m in cap room if not more thanks to rookie wage scale. They then can extend the players like Whitner, Brown, Iupati and Anthony Davis if they so choose.

Team is in good shape and could be in great shape if they get rid of those guys who quite honestly, arent worth what they're getting paid and can be replaced by younger and cheaper rookies at minimal cost.

I just think adding Wallace would make this offense a huge threat on every possession while still being able to run the ball but imagine this - with Wallace spreading out the secondary along with Davis and Crabtree, can you imagine how many big plays our backfield guys like James and Hunter would get off screens and stuff? Forget about it. Damn offense would be insane and quite honestly, I truly believe that Wallace, Davis and Crabtree could all easily put up over 1000 yards each and at least 8-10 TD's each.

You may think that im nuts but this off-season is going to be about making Kaepernick even better than he already is and make our offense a scoring threat on every possession. Best of all, when you look at all the weapons, there's no way in hell that they can all be covered at the same time. Think of an offense that could match the 2004 Colts but with a far better defense and special teams.

Dont know about anyone else but I for one would love to see that and honestly think that its definitely possible.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
I don't think ppl think he's undervalued.
If a person can say that Garrett Celek can do what Walker does. Or that finding another Delanie Walker in the mid-late part of the draft will be rather easy, then they don't consider Walker as valuable as they should.

Quote:
Just how much can you really commit to a backup TE?
There's my general crux. Why categorize him as a "backup TE?"

He's an every down starter for a team that went to the NFCCG and SB in back-to-back seasons. Most "backup TEs" play 1/2 to 2/3 of the time. Walker's value is as a significant contributor in the 49ers scheme. NOT as a backup TE,
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I agree with you up to where you said that he wont catch 80-100 balls in this offense. Granted, we were behind but the majority of the Super Bowl was passing. Harbaugh made the switch to Kaepernick in order to PASS MORE. Not run more. Wallace doesnt need to catch 80-100 balls to surpass a 1000 yards and get at least 8 TD's. He can do it in 60. My entire point is that this offense NEEDS another receiver, a deep threat playmaking receiver. Wallace is exactly that. We DONT have Smith as the QB anymore. We finally have a QB who can actually throw the ball down field 50+ yards with accuracy. A WR like Wallace would open up the rest of the offense more than any gimmick play calling would do. Also, there would be plenty of times where Wallace simply outruns the defenders for a touchdown thus avoiding us being horrible in the redzone in regards to scoring touchdowns.
This isn't true.

Alex Smith's first eight starts: 26.1 attempts/game

Colin Kaepernick's ten starts: 27.2 attempts/game

The 49ers weren't passing so much more than when Smith was in the lineup.

We don't need a burner in the offense, just someone who can get separation and can make plays down the field. Mike Wallace isn't the only receiver in the NFL that can do this and his price tag doesn't warrant the under utilization he'd have in Harbaugh's scheme. He'd be lucky to catch 60 passes with Manningham and Crabtree in the mix along with Davis and Walker if he returns. The 49ers aren't going to turn into the Greatest Show on Turf. Harbaugh made the switch to Kaepernick because he was potentially a better passer and has the ability to break a long run down the field. Not because he wanted to change the entire offense during the middle of the season and throw the ball more. If we wanted to do that we should have just stuck with Mike Martz. Even at Stanford with Andrew Luck as the starter Harbaugh and company were pounding the rock.

Wallace isn't coming here and for good reason. San Francisco doesn't need him and can find the next Mike Wallace or whatever guy that can fly down the field in the draft. We don't need all that cap space wrapped up in a receiver down the line when we already have one that is going to get a mega deal soon most likely (Crabtree). Free agent receivers rarely work out. The success of this team isn't going to crumble because we don't have a receiver that can streak down the field past defenders. Kaepernick doesn't need that to succeed as a passer.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 02-15-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan, you're going to stop this once Wallace signs elsewhere, right?

And please don't confuse my comment as me needing to be convinced about how great Mike Wallace is.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
If a person can say that Garrett Celek can do what Walker does. Or that finding another Delanie Walker in the mid-late part of the draft will be rather easy, then they don't consider Walker as valuable as they should.

There's my general crux. Why categorize him as a "backup TE?"

He's an every down starter for a team that went to the NFCCG and SB in back-to-back seasons. Most "backup TEs" play 1/2 to 2/3 of the time. Walker's value is as a significant contributor in the 49ers scheme. NOT as a backup TE,
Celek or another TE could do what we ask Walker to do. Jimbaugh's Stanford teams never had a TE of Walker's skill set and they did just fine in their 2 TEs and 3 TEs package as well as utilizing those personnel in the run game. So I'm not going to worry about the offense not being as proficient without Walker as the second TE. What I will worry about is the added dimension Walker's athleticism gave the position....but not the position itself.

And he's not on the field every down. He plays a lot but still, he is a 2nd TE technically. He's second on the depth chart. He may or may not be on the field the first offensive snap of the game, depending on the play-call. Your still talking about committing more money to a position which already has one of the highest paid at the position. Its more of a luxury to pay Walker, not really a necessity. Is a luxury that we can afford, is the question.

As for the Wallace debate again, this offense doesn't revolve around a deep threat. And no, CK wasn't named the starter so we can throw more...do you ppl(Dan) actually watch how this offense works? Balance, balance, balance.....that's what Jimbaugh wants. He doesn't want to throw more. He wants to maximize the pass when he does throw. CK gives him that. It was about what CK could do with his leg that probably shifted Jimbaugh into making him the starter, not his arm. The threat of a running QB opens up passing windows and the threat of a strong armed QB creates running lanes. So what happens when you have a QB who can do both?

The problem is this offense hasn't had time to really developed. First it was the lockout and a shorten off-season. This year, it was a switch at QB, then implementing The Pistol and employing that into the game plan, while managing a young QB starting for the first time. So the offense resembled this mash-up on some weird concoctions of WCO formations, but with college-like route designs and singular reads and it was like watching paint dry a lot of times. We had no identity really. We had no core set of plays that every passing offense hangs its hat on. Our run game switch gears midway through the season. It was still effective but we went away from a lot the varied shifts and power formations to running out of more spread and Pistol looks. The problem isn't the personnel. I saw WRs running open all year. ALOT! The problem is Jimbaugh and Roman need to build a foundation of a offense and build on it and stick with it. When he was first hired Jimbaugh said he would be running a WCO. When CK became the starter, routes started to change. CK took deeper drops and the passing game looked more vertical and than WCO-based. If that was to help CK as a young QB, than fine. One thing about CK is he doesn't anticpate routes very well. On shorter throws, he's hestiant to place balls in certain windows becuase I feel he's iffy on his touch or not as confident as he would be on deeper throws, which is usually the opposite for most QBs. In a WCO, you HAVE to anticipate routes and you have to be on time, something else CK seemed to struggle with. The WRs are not the problem. I think every offense would like a legitmate deep threat but what has bogged this offense down is execution and timing, particularly in the red-zone. Its hard to get enough reps and timing together when your switching gears offensively, midway through a football season.

This off-season should be about Jimbaugh building this passing offense, whatever it is, around CK and really honing in on the nuts and bolts of it and fine-running it so passing game and its parts can perform at maximum efficiency. For the last two years, because of lock-out and personnel issues, that hasn't been the case. If we're truly going to be a WCO, than its all in. If we're going to take bits and peices from every offense then do that and but make sure you have the reps and the familiarity with each of those elements and make sure your players do too and build a overall concept. Don't just take bits and peices and make some offensive gumbo. It may work for awhile but eventually, you get to a scenario where your 5 yards away from a SB win and your calling plays that aren't well executed because their not your core offensively and what your team does, at its best.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-15-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 AM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He'd be lucky to catch 60 passes with Manningham and Crabtree in the mix along with Davis and Walker if he returns.
Wallace is a guy who didn't catch more than around 60 balls a year in Pittsburgh, and they have thrown the ball a lot in recent years. 39, 60, 72, and 64 are his numbers in four years in the league. His value is more in stretching the field and being able to get separation for long TD receptions, I believe. 6, 10, 8, and 8 is solid. That's 32 TD's on 235 career receptions. I don't think he's worth 10 mil a year, but I think he is being underrated by some here. His ypr has gone down each of the last three years, though. 21, 16.6, and 13.1 last year. I like him, Dan, but I don't think he'll be a 49er.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Wallace is a guy who didn't catch more than around 60 balls a year in Pittsburgh, and they have thrown the ball a lot in recent years. 39, 60, 72, and 64 are his numbers in four years in the league. His value is more in stretching the field and being able to get separation for long TD receptions, I believe. 6, 10, 8, and 8 is solid. That's 32 TD's on 235 career receptions. I don't think he's worth 10 mil a year, but I think he is being underrated by some here. His ypr has gone down each of the last three years, though. 21, 16.6, and 13.1 last year. I like him, Dan, but I don't think he'll be a 49er.
If the 49ers are going to break the bank for a wide receiver, he better get 1200-1500 yards with 8-10 touchdowns. And that isn't going to happen in this offense.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Other than Bowe and Wallace there are zero offensive FA's I want.

Possible exception: A TE2 if Delanie walks.....ie James Casey
Casey actually sounds really good. Fits the same mold as Delanie
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
Casey actually sounds really good. Fits the same mold as Delanie
This is a little of what I'm talking about.

James Casey made more money in 2012 then Delanie Walker did.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Casey is more of a fullback. Not a real big threat as a pass-catcher in terms of running a route tree, but as a FB in Kubiak's offense, he does see his fair share of passes in the short flats. Plus, he's a restricted FA, so he'll likely be back with the Texans. Travis Beckum is more along the lines of Walker, but he's injury prone so he's not as reliable. And he never really had any impact with the Giants, so there's that too.

Not in Walker's mold, but I like John Phillips. And he would be a bargain.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2...rs+Hot+Read%29

With CK already back training and working with his teammates in the ATL, you have to admire the drive our young guys are showing. I mean they could be Gronking it up in Vegas(and I'm sure some of them are or will be at some point this off-season). Its just good to see our young superstars letting that loss fuel them. Hopefully Cully is somewhere breaking down WR film and watching Revis on loop, with that same kind of drive to erase the memory of a good season come up just short.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-15-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

With CK already back training and working with his teammates in the ATL, you have to admire the drive our young guys are showing. I mean they could be Gronking it up in Vegas(and I'm sure some of them are or will be at some point this off-season). Its just good to see our young superstars letting that loss fuel them. Hopefully Cully is somewhere breaking down WR film and watching Revis on loop, with that same kind of drive to erase the memory of a good season come up just short.
Agreed. But with CK, that's a franchise QB's job, his role. If he truly wants to continue to develop and lead this team to greatness and make his mark on the league and in history, he's going about it the right way. So great to see.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with 12 Picks in the Draft

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:

Eh, I suppose that's fine and all. I wouldn't get too excited about it. I also remember the Packers NOT doing anything during the lockout and they proceeded to go 15-1 going into the season after being criticized that they weren't gathering together like the Saints did that offseason or whatever.

Quote: