Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who's the Best TE in the Country
Zach Ertz (Stanford) 15 30.61%
Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame) 24 48.98%
Gavin Escobar (SD State) 6 12.24%
Vance McDonald (Rice) 0 0%
Travis Kelce (Cincinnati) 3 6.12%
Dion Sims (Michigan State) 1 2.04%
Jordan Reed (Florida) 0 0%
Levine Toilolo (Stanford) 0 0%
Nick Kasa (Colorado) 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Byrd430
Veteran

Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Ertz vs. Eifert

So, who do you guys feel is the better tight end?

I honestly feel like Ertz is the better choice. He gets better separation and works much better in the open field - he's a more dangerous receiver, and their blocking is about the same (I give a slight edge to Eifert). I'm coming very close to ranking Gavin Escobar over Eifert tbh.

Am I wrong for looking down on Eifert?

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!
Byrd430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've got Ertz over Eifert, too. I don't have Escobar anywhere near overtaking him, though. I think the gap between the top two and Escobar is pretty decent.

Ertz
Eifert
-
-
-
-
Escobar
-
-
-
Others
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give me Ertz. Just a really good all around TE. He knows how to get open and runs good routes. Solid blocker; not the best but you won't have to sub him out on running plays. He really stepped in the the leading role for Stanford this year as a pass catcher. Very comfortable being split out wide and using his body to shield off defenders.

Vs Oregon 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ertz is the more explosive player, id say eifert has better hands and jump ball ability

i think jordan reed is #3 over escobar though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Byrd430
Veteran

Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
ertz is the more explosive player, id say eifert has better hands and jump ball ability

i think jordan reed is #3 over escobar though
Wow, I don't think I've heard this school of thought. What makes Reed #3 iyo?

Personally, I like Escobar, McDonald, and Kelce over Reed - and I'm a Gator fan.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wouldn't quibble with either in Seattle so hard to knock either guy. I think the combine might give a little insight as to lateral quickness and strength. If one guy emerges in those areas i'm sure he'll move to the top.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Give me Eifert. better blocker, more physical and you can throw jump balls to him all day long. He's a Heath Miller/Jimmy Graham combo.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Poll?

I like Eifert better. He's nearly as athletic and though they're listed at the same size, he looks bigger and plays more physical to me. He's also got better shiftiness. Ertz reminds me of a clone of Fleener. Eifert has some Witten to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ertz is the slightly superior pure receiver but Eifert can do all the other things, is more physical with the ball in his hands and shows up best in clutch times. Id pick Eifert without a doubt but im about as biased as they come on this subject

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Ertz is the slightly superior pure receiver but Eifert can do all the other things, is more physical with the ball in his hands and shows up best in clutch times. Id pick Eifert without a doubt but im about as biased as they come on this subject
You can say the same thing about Ertz can't ya? I like them both, but I think I'd take Ertz, to me he's the better overall Tight End.
holt_bruce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
You're never biased with Notre Dame players, where did you get that idea?

I think these guys are very close. The offense at Stanford probably showcased Ertz better than what Eifert had going for him with the Irish but it's just in the eye of the beholder who you pick first.

And yeah, for all those picking early in the second round it's a pretty good chance one of these two guys is going to be there.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I'd probably go with Eifert. I just loved his ability to go up and get the ball. Plus I think he's a better blocker (if only slightly).

I really don't think you can go wrong with either player though.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Byrd430
Veteran

Eifert, to me, really lacks the big play ability that Ertz brings to the table - which makes him a pretty average tight end in today's league. If he was a tremendous blocker, I may open up to him more, but he's not, and I'm not sure he'll be a good blocker in the NFL either.

He's a guy who just doesn't wow me. If he's like Jason Witten, then I'll admit that I'm wrong - but I just don't see it, at all.

He may very well become the best TE out of this draft, but that'll be because all the others dropped, not because of his own talent.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Armchair Scout
Rookie

Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Eifert better. Ertz may be more athletic, but Eifert is a better blocker, has more consistent hands, and possesses a superior catching radius. Personally, I think a team would be better suited drafting Sims or McDonald in the 3rd round than taking Ertz or Eifert in the 1st round.
Armchair Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
coach4fu
Rookie

coach4fu hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

They are all chasing this guy...

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-fo..._austin00.html

I know he won't be in draft til next year, but a flat out stud.
coach4fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ertz looks a little more athletic/agile than Eifert. Looks to be less bulky (negative and a positive for a TE) and can really get down the field and run after the catch. As has been mentioned, that really plays into the big play ability and lack thereof from Eifert.

As for the Eifert/Witten comparison, I can see Eifert in that way as a receiver. I can see him being a bulk receiver catching a ton of passes every year, but not necessarily a huge downfield threat or a redzone monster similar to Witten. Witten is a much better blocker than Eifert ever will be though.

Ertz, I think, has more potential to line up on the outside and put a LB or S on an island and beat him down the field. Won't be a 90-catch target like Witten, but should be able to get his share of big plays and redzone targets.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take Eifert by a pretty good margin myself, I think he may have more short area quickness than Eifert and is a lot smoother of an athlete than Ertz. Ertz is very good, but doesn't bring that physical nature that Eifert has.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
I'll take Eifert by a pretty good margin myself, I think he may have more short area quickness than Eifert and is a lot smoother of an athlete than Ertz. Ertz is very good, but doesn't bring that physical nature that Eifert has.
Agreed, and he is also not as big of a go to redzone threat.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd430 View Post
Eifert, to me, really lacks the big play ability that Ertz brings to the table - which makes him a pretty average tight end in today's league. If he was a tremendous blocker, I may open up to him more, but he's not, and I'm not sure he'll be a good blocker in the NFL either.

He's a guy who just doesn't wow me. If he's like Jason Witten, then I'll admit that I'm wrong - but I just don't see it, at all.

He may very well become the best TE out of this draft, but that'll be because all the others dropped, not because of his own talent.
But, if he proves he is Jason Witten, you wouldn't have any choice but to admit you were wrong. We are talking projections at this point and I understand you like Ertz better. But remember, the very reason Witten dropped to the 3rd round was precisely because he didn't "wow" anyone- but the production and skills were there.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Questions comments?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Eifert. ND left plays out on the field last season when Eifert was open. That happens when you're starting an inexperienced QB.

The TE I really think is a darkhorse is UCLA's Joseph Fauria. I don't know why he didn't run at Indy. 6'7, 260# and had a monster season for the Bruins.

Personally I think he should be included with Eifert/Ertz among the top TEs available in this draft.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T-rex arms vs overrated ND TE number 300?

I'll take neither for $500, Alex.
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally, I think Eifert, Ertz and Escobar are the hands down top 3 TEs in this draft. I like all 3 of these guys to be effective starters and weapons for what ever team drafts them. Late 1st early to mid 2nd I see them being off the board.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
T-rex arms vs overrated ND TE number 300?

I'll take neither for $500, Alex.
Eifert is being projected as a late first to early second whereas similar players like Todd Heap and Kyle Rudolph went much earlier. Not getting the whole overrated thing. If it's the usual Notre Dame hatred then I guess I see where you're coming from.

Last edited by Babylon : 02-23-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eifert/Ertz/McDonald are the top 3 TEs. Not sure where the Eifert hate comes from unless your a biased ND hater. He can split out wide or play inline and block. A really versatile TE that fits the mold.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote