Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
It's not a lot, but I've already prepared for the fact that Welker will be gone. (there are too many teams that will pay big money for FAs).
Assuming Vollmer gets slightly better than what Winston ($22/4) got (say, $30-35/5) and Woodhead and Edelman both pull around $6/3, the Pats have ~$8m to work with. 7m of that should be going to Talib.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I seriously don't see how we resign Welker. The dude wanted more money than we were offering him, and now a year older were magically going to give him what hes holding out for? Franchise and trade him, or cut him out right. The dude makes the biggest drops in the most critical situations it seems. Chung can pack his bags too, the guy is awful and can't stay healthy. Go sign Ed Reed for a year. I'd take paying him a big one year than Welker. I also think we should resign Talib, much bigger priority then Welker. He made all the difference to that defense in the Championship game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
I seriously don't see how we resign Welker. The dude wanted more money than we were offering him, and now a year older were magically going to give him what hes holding out for? Franchise and trade him, or cut him out right. The dude makes the biggest drops in the most critical situations it seems. Chung can pack his bags too, the guy is awful and can't stay healthy. Go sign Ed Reed for a year. I'd take paying him a big one year than Welker. I also think we should resign Talib, much bigger priority then Welker. He made all the difference to that defense in the Championship game.
Haven't been around as much lately. Last semester before I graduate!

This quote though is pretty much I feel exactly. To the t.
Just check out my avy and sig. Welker drops.

You rock, J!

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Assuming Vollmer gets slightly better than what Winston ($22/4) got (say, $30-35/5) and Woodhead and Edelman both pull around $6/3, the Pats have ~$8m to work with. 7m of that should be going to Talib.
The patriots are not likely to resign Talib either, sadly. The questions about his motivation that got him thrown out of TB still exist in NE. The few months of hard work he put in were because he knew it was for a contract and for a team that could get him a big one (obviously not give him one).
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree with this but don't see it as a likely scenario. I think Talib is as good as gone. If you have work ethic concerns during a 7 games stretch playing for a contract then that's a bad thing. Talib also only played on 39% of the defensive snaps he was around for. I would be really surprised if Belichick signed him.

Reed is a possibility if he hits the market

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Regardless, I will have no qualms signing Talib long term with the money we would have to use to sign a 31 year old Welker for another year or two.

In fact, if were going to dump the money on a WR why not do it on a guy like Harvin or just draft Austin? Pretty much I'm just a bitter anti Welker guy at this point lol.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Last edited by Jvig43 : 02-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I was whoever it is that will be doing the contract negotiation with Welker and his agent, I'd have them come in to my office. I'd sit them down at my desk facing me, and behind me I'd have a huge wall of monitors replaying all of Welker's crucial drops over and over again. Then I'd ask them, so how much do you think we should pay you?

I'm not a Welker hater, and I wish we could keep him for a fair price, but I'm not expecting it at this point. And it may be time to really revamp that WR group.
TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Anyone think we should use the Franchise on Talib? If were worried he only played well for us knowing it was acontract year and whose play would fall off if signed an extension, why not franchise him? It would cost less than tagging Welker, and it would be more of a position of need (well, not really I guess if Welker walks).

Also what do people think about Scott Pegging Banks being the selection for us in the first round? If we lose Talib, I'm for it.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Jvig43 : 02-15-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Anyone think we should use the Franchise on Talib? If were worried he only played well for us knowing it was acontract year and whose play would fall off if signed an extension, why not franchise him? It would cost less than tagging Welker, and it would be more of a position of need (well, not really I guess if Welker walks).

Also what do people think about Scott Pegging Banks being the selection for us in the first round? If we lose Talib, I'm for it.
Should we? Yes. Will we? Very, very doubtful. I don't see Welker or Talib returning to be honest.

I am all for Banks in the late first. Tremendous value.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vollmer is by far more important than Talib.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Vollmer is by far more important than Talib.
How confident are you that Cannon can fill in and be very productive? Your answer dictates Vollmer's importance

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
How confident are you that Cannon can fill in and be very productive? Your answer dictates Vollmer's importance
I'm not comfortable with that at all. Vollmer is an elite OT. I say keep him (almost) whatever the cost. Use a draft pick to shore up the interior OL and get that running game going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm in favor of letting Vollmer walk, as we have a ton of money tied up in our top handful of guys and we will need to re-sign guys like McCourty, Solder, possibly Spikes soon. Let's see what Cannon has over there.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You just don't let an elite offensive tackle go. That's really stupid, and a very risky move too.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I'm in favor of letting Vollmer walk, as we have a ton of money tied up in our top handful of guys and we will need to re-sign guys like McCourty, Solder, possibly Spikes soon. Let's see what Cannon has over there.
I agree with this, and was going to post about it a few days ago. Our cap situation looks fine now, but really there isn't any money coming off the books in the next few years, and we have younger, better, and healthier players to resign. The only truly bad player we've had on the oline during the recent Scar era was Kazcur and I trust his ability to get another functional starter at RT.

The reason why we've been able to be good for so long is because we've known when to say no. Look at the Jets right now who desperately tried to keep everyone, they ended up with no depth and their team is awful. We've made our bed, we have a $20 million QB, a guard, DT, OLB, and 2 TE's with big contracts, and we can't afford that much more. I think the Mankins contract has kind of been a bust so far, and he was a far safer resign than Vollmer.

Last edited by cmarq83 : 02-17-2013 at 12:27 PM.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a little confused by the Talib thing to be honest with you. The defense noticeably got a lot better, particularly on the back end but when watching back through games Talib didn't necessarily play that well. He had a nice day against Andre Johnson and was really good against the Ravens before getting hurt. However there were other games were he looked bad. The first Miami game he looked dreadful and there were some others were he looked just ok. I kinda get the feeling that Belichick felt more comfortable playing that style of defense because he had someone like Talib and that made the defense better moreso than simply Talib's play.

Now if resigning Talib is the only way to keep us playing an aggressive man coverage system then I'm all for getting him back in any way, however I think we can get guys to do the same thing for cheaper (just my opinion). I actually think Dennard played better than Talib down the stretch (albeit not always against the top option).

I would take a guy like Banks or Trufant in the draft if they don't bring Talib back, although that hurts them when it comes to the WR position. I'm not a huge fan of the talent in FA at WR and think that 29 slot could give really good value at WR. Guys who could realistically be available;

Keenan Allen
DeAndre Hopkins
Robert Woods
Tavon Austin
Steadman Bailey
Markus Wheaton
Terrence Williams
Justin Hunter

When you look at the end of the second you can expect possibly all of these guys to be gone.

It all depends on the long term approach by BB. As has been mentioned guys like McCourty, Solder etc will be getting extended in the near future and funds will need to be available. You can't always keep everyone. If I was to guess right now I would say the Pats tag Vollmer, resign Welker and let Talib walk

Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
If I was to guess right now I would say the Pats tag Vollmer, resign Welker and let Talib walk
I'm pretty sure that BB's done with Welker. Re-sign Vollmer, tag Talib and get a third round compensatory pick next year for Welker. That's what I'd do.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'm pretty sure that BB's done with Welker. Re-sign Vollmer, tag Talib and get a third round compensatory pick next year for Welker. That's what I'd do.
It's something to watch for sure, however the injury thing is the big unknown at this point. Is BB willing to give gauranteed money and a multi year contract to a guy who has struggled to stay healthy his whole career, and the same goes for Talib. Talib played 39% of the defensive snaps from when he joined the Pats. Is Belichick going to pay him a one year top 5 CB salary for 39%? The one thing Welker has shown throughout his whole career is that he's durable. We will see what BB values the most in the coming weeks

Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
If I was to guess right now I would say the Pats tag Vollmer, resign Welker and let Talib walk
This would be the worst scenario imaginable to me. I'd like to resign Vollmer, Tag Talib, Welker goodbye. Pretty much what Razor said.

That said, we need help at WR badly. The Fa's available I'm not very interested in, they'd cost too much and besides Wallace who is a one trick pony, are old.

Also if Dennard is indeed found guilty, our secondary goes right back to absolute **** again and the need to keep Talib is that much more significant.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Jvig43 : 02-20-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
This would be the worst scenario imaginable to me. I'd like to resign Vollmer, Tag Talib, Welker goodbye. Pretty much what Razor said.

That said, we need help at WR badly. The Fa's available I'm not very interested in, they'd cost too much and besides Wallace who is a one trick pony, are old.
This is the way I would go if I had the power, however I think it's likely the most unrealistic.

I do agree about FA WRs. It's all about the draft at that position for me. If we bring in any FAs it should be a safety or defensive lineman IMO

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ult-conviction

Annnnnnd boom. We have to keep Talib.

****. This sucks.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God damnit Dennard.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Might as well bring Woodson in.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...d-found-guilty

"Prosecutors said after the verdict was read that they were not recommending a sentence, the World-Herald reported, adding that typical sentence for a crime like assaulting an officer range from probation (no jail time) to 180 days behind bars"

Well lets hope for the former, but I highly doubt he avoids jail time. Really hoping we keep Talib now tho.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-to-freeney/

Maybe? Eh, probably want more money than were willing to give him. Would still be nice to have play opposite to Jones and show him the ropes.

Quote:
Quote: