Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-18-2006, 05:07 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Schubert
i scored the fight 114-114. I will elaborate later, as I have to go to a fathers day party now. But, I will say this, JT has abandoned his jab in his last 3 fights and that is what makes him a potential ALL TIME GREAT. I have the upmost respect for JT. Granted they were all close, but to draw Winky, and beat Hopkins 2 times, in a row as essentially a raw talent, WOW! I want to see what Steward can do, but this kid is damn good. Same for Winky, but I think we all know that #2 p4p and he deserves to be
You guys aren't going to believe this. I went out to go to the drive in with a girl and some friends... but we were so messed up we got there too late. Then, we were drivin along and the driver keeps complaining of how hot it and I just so happen to look up at the dashboard. The check engine now light is on!!! Dumbass who owns the car said she never put an fluids in it since she got it a year ago!!!!!!!!!!!! we bought some water and coolant and after a 1/2 hour in the parking lot (and talking to some heroin addict who I had quite a bit of fun messing with) we decide to just take our sorry act to my buddies sisters house.

We get there. I look at the clock. It's like 10:15............ I almost **** a brick. THEY HAD HBO!!!!! I was in aw, it all came full circle and I got to watch the fight after all. I got my cake and ate it too. Everyone I was with told me to change the channel but I wouldn't give up the remote and made them watch the whole fight

Unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention because the 2 girls were trying to annoy me the entire time. I did watch it though, and loved every second of it.

I told my Dad today that Jermain Taylor is not my 2nd favorite fighter. I really like that kid, he's tough as nails and he has the heart of a true champion. He is special people. Special. He is so special that he can make the most boring fighter on the planet, bernard hopkins, fight a mildly enertaining fight. He's so special, the very next fight he makes a fight against a purely defensive fighter into a very enertaining fight.

Dude's a beast. I'm going to watch the replay of the fight as soon as the Hopkins vs Tarver is over on HBO2 and tell you guys what I would have scored the bout.

Oddly enough... My dad scored it 8-3-1 for Taylor. When I was watching it I was slightly messed up and I thought Winky was stealing the rounds because he was punching more although Taylor was obviously the more powerful fighter. Taylor was able to stagger Winky and bully him around. Winky wasn't really strong enough to seriously hurt Taylor.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:00 PM    (permalink

Interesting. I had it 116- 113 for Taylor. 4th round a draw. 7-4-1.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Jonathan_VIlma
Pro Bowler

Jonathan_VIlma hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I didn't score it, although I think Taylor did look better. I'm a fan of his, so my opinion might be biased, but he had control of the fight the whole time. Wright didn't land many devestating blows, and if Taylor would stay out of the god damn corner, he could've knocked Wright out because he's so powerful.

Wright is a defensive boxer and a damn good one, but that's going to hurt him when he's fighting with someone like Taylor because he takes so many power punches and rarely uses his jab.

Designs by Thule
Jonathan_VIlma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why don't they want a rematch? Both camps say there is no way a rematch will happen. I don't understand that. This was an excellent fight and both of these fighters are turning into BIG draws. A rematch can be a HUGE payday for both, plus it would be a great fight.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I wouldnt say that JT controlled the fight because Winky was the one moving forward. Talor was in retreat mode most rounds. As far as controlling the pace and direction of the fight, I have to lean towards Winky. And, I dont think Taylor could have KO'd him, Winky can take a punch and JT didnt land that many clean. Taylor's major problem, in my opinion, is totally ignoring his best punch, HIS JAB! Why the hell doesnt he throw it? JT is going to be a great boxer with Emanual Stewards help, he is still a raw fighter. Thats why his last 3 fights were so impressive. That said, at this point I have to say that Winky is the better fighter. Look at it this way, if Winky fought the entire fight the way he fought round 12 (while throwing more jabs, because he was landing essentially at will), he could have won an easy descision imo. Taylor needs to become more refined to reach his vast potential, i hope steward can get this kid to listen because JT has great potential.

This was a very close fight and a very exciting one also, too bad we dont get a rematch. With most draws, i walk away dissappointed, but this one left me wit a good taste in my mouth. Both fighters were great and gave it their all. A draw was good imo.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I wouldnt say that JT controlled the fight because Winky was the one moving forward. Talor was in retreat mode most rounds. As far as controlling the pace and direction of the fight, I have to lean towards Winky. And, I dont think Taylor could have KO'd him, Winky can take a punch and JT didnt land that many clean. Taylor's major problem, in my opinion, is totally ignoring his best punch, HIS JAB! Why the hell doesnt he throw it? JT is going to be a great boxer with Emanual Stewards help, he is still a raw fighter. Thats why his last 3 fights were so impressive. That said, at this point I have to say that Winky is the better fighter. Look at it this way, if Winky fought the entire fight the way he fought round 12 (while throwing more jabs, because he was landing essentially at will), he could have won an easy descision imo. Taylor needs to become more refined to reach his vast potential, i hope steward can get this kid to listen because JT has great potential.

This was a very close fight and a very exciting one also, too bad we dont get a rematch. With most draws, i walk away dissappointed, but this one left me wit a good taste in my mouth. Both fighters were great and gave it their all. A draw was good imo.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:12 PM    (permalink

Quote:

He didn't jab because jabs are generally less effective against south paws.

Neither camp wants a rematch because both camps are afraid of each other. Taylor has the balls to fight Winky but his camp knows its an extremely risky fight, and Winky is also afraid of earning a L.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:08 AM    (permalink
r0bz56
Rookie

r0bz56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree with the Draw. Winky could've had it, but he blew it in the 12th by not fighting and trying to run.
r0bz56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:59 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime21335
Quote:

He didn't jab because jabs are generally less effective against south paws.

Neither camp wants a rematch because both camps are afraid of each other. Taylor has the balls to fight Winky but his camp knows its an extremely risky fight, and Winky is also afraid of earning a L.
Ehhh, the sothpaw argument could be true, but he didnt use it in the B-Hop fights either. JT needs to use his jab, it is his best punch. I cant recall a fighter that ignores his best punch and still is even close to winning. That is a major problem with taylor imo, but it can be fixed because he was a jabbing machine before his last 3 fights.

As far as Winky being afraid, I really dont think that that is the case. The man feels he was robbed. It is an understandable feeling on Winky's part. If he felt he clearly won the fight (I felt it was a draw), he has every right to be upset. The fight after all was right in Taylors backyard. But to say Winky is scared, this is a guy who gave Sugar Shane a rematch when Shane was #1 p4p. Winky is not scared. I think that after Winky has a few days to cool down, if the money can be made right, they will fight again. Maybe not their next fight, but if a 50-50 split of the $ can be organized, I bet you Winky will fight.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

We have another HUGE boxing weekend. Not as big as last week for the casual fans, but for the hardcores, this is a huge weekend. Boxing After Dark features Calvin Brock vs Timor Ibragimov (sp?) and Joel Julio vs Carlos Quintana.

Brock vs Ibragimov appears to be a mismatch on paper (Brock the favorite), but Timor is undefeated. I really dont know much about Ibragimov, but I do know that Brock is one of the top heavys in the world right now. Get a look at him folks, because he is still young and could be the future star of the division.

Joel Julio is without a doubt my favorite prospect in the sport. HE is an absolutely massive puncher, but he shows that he is wise beyond his years with great body work and a patient style. The guy he is fighting, Carlos Quintana is another good prospect in his own right. He is also undefeated, and is Julio's toughest test yet. If you want a look at a future star, watch Julio this weekend.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Brock-Ibragimov fight will be very interesting as I think both of those guys will be competitive fighters in this division.

The winner might get a title shot.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 06-20-2006, 07:24 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2491946

Interesting news on DLH, looks like he will retire. If that is the case, I say good for him. Not many people get to walk away on top, and that is what he would be doing. I think Maywether would embarrass him, so I hope he retires. As far as Mayweather goes, I hope he fight MArgarito, I think that would be a good fight.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:25 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV
The Brock-Ibragimov fight will be very interesting as I think both of those guys will be competitive fighters in this division.

The winner might get a title shot.
Brock should have a title shot already. Oleg Maskaev is fighting for a title against Rahman, that should be Brock.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Thought I would let you guys know, I am creating a boxing mock draft over in the mock draft section. Not sure how many people I will be able to get, but I think it would be kinda fun (we would draft a boxer for each of like 6 weight classes).
Old 06-24-2006, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

bump
Old 06-24-2006, 12:46 PM    (permalink

That must see Welterweight is on HBO tonight. If i'm not out with the chicky I'll definitely be watching it.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:54 PM    (permalink
familyguy555
Pro Bowler

familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

i punched a guy once...

sig made by BoneKrusher
familyguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:28 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Neither Brock nor Ibragimov looked impressive in this one. Perhaps it was the heat, but both looked slow. Brock might get a title shot now.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 06-25-2006, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Julio lost which was a stunner. Quintana has now made himself one of the top prospects in the sport. I think it was a bad style matchup for Julio, a slick southpaw is never easy. I do think that he is the kind of kid who will rebound though, even though this was his first loss ever, including amatuers (85-0).

Brock did what he had to do, win. It was a boring fight, but Brock kept his "0", therby setting him up to get a title shot.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:31 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Julio lost which was a stunner. Quintana has now made himself one of the top prospects in the sport. I think it was a bad style matchup for Julio, a slick southpaw is never easy. I do think that he is the kind of kid who will rebound though, even though this was his first loss ever, including amatuers (85-0).

Brock did what he had to do, win. It was a boring fight, but Brock kept his "0", therby setting him up to get a title shot.
Well if Brock gets a shot at Klitchko and fights like that, he'll get burried. But he does have a good shot at other so called "Heavyweight Champions".

Sig by Primetime21
Old 06-27-2006, 04:07 PM    (permalink

Quote:

Brock blows. So boring!!! Like every heavyweight. I left to meet with my woman 1/2 way through the fight, what does that tell you about it?

I'll tell you this much about the Quintana fight, immediately after the first round I found myself rooting for him. Idk why, he just had a confidence, a swagger that I really took a liking to, plus he was the big underdog. I told my Dad that Julio was going to KO him with a left hook after the 2nd round though because Quintana kept his hands way too low and he was WIDE OPEN for a big left hook when he would pull out. Julio only threw the punch 4-5 times with conviction though and Quintana always did a great job of rolling with the punch.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:09 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:

Well if Brock gets a shot at Klitchko and fights like that, he'll get burried. But he does have a good shot at other so called "Heavyweight Champions".
Klitchko aint That good man. He's not even clearly the best HW right now. He's kind of a sissy too, at least he was.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:12 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime21335
Quote:
Quote:

Klitchko aint That good man. He's not even clearly the best HW right now. He's kind of a sissy too, at least he was.
dont forget the glass chin
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:13 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Wlad is the best HW BY FAR right now. Did you see what he did to Byrd? Byrd never threw a punch. His face was punching Klitchko's fists.

Maybe you're right about Wlad not being all that great.....but who in the HW division is?

Sig by Primetime21
Old 06-27-2006, 04:15 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Wlad is the best HW BY FAR right now. Did you see what he did to Byrd? Byrd never threw a punch. His face was punching Klitchko's fists.

Maybe you're right about Wlad not being all that great.....but who in the HW division is?
He's not the best by far. He might be the best but he sure as hell hasn't proven it yet. He beat Byrd's ass yeah, but so would any very good heavyweight over the past decade. Byrd is a bum that is a product of a very weak division.