Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeFan View Post
No I'm not his agent sir, just someone who likes football (high school, college and pro) and likes to follow the draft each year. I'm not Catapano's family member either, just a guy from the area where he lives who has followed him since high school and thinks he will be a good NFL player. Glad to see the experts who were in Florida this past week have agreed. Since Catapano wasn't mentioned on the boards at all and I knew how good he was I just figured I'd bring him up.

Kid is a hard worker. I know a lot of people who know him and he is looked at in very high regard by all. Its nice to see hard working people succeed. He was a good high school player and has transformed into an elite college player who is about to be drafted. I wish Mike the best in his future endeavors and look forward to watching him represent long island in the NFL.

Certainly meant no disrespect to the boards here fellas. Just bringing up a good player many weren't yet familiar with is all. I think you'll see good things from this kid in the future.
Hmmmmm...

Quote:
Completely understandable....I am friend of Catapano. He is from near where I live on long island and I know his family. Good kid, nice family. There was basically zero talk about him on the boards here on this site despite him being an awesome prospect (don't just take my word on it but rather ask anyone who coached him, coached against him, or has trained around him...that includes a guy who is a former NFL Pro Bowl Player who trained him this past off season and who played alongside Reggie White and coached NFL Pro Bowl players like Osi Umenyiora, Albert Hanesworth and many others in Chuck Smith...see attached youtube video....his opinion and opposing coaches opinions matter more than mine)
So you've gone from being his friend to being just some guy from his area who knows people who know him, eh? In a few more posts, you're going to be like "I'm just some guy from the other side of the country who doesn't even follow football."

Keep moving those goalposts. You're obviously not an impartial observer, so quit your biased cheerleading. We don't like that very much around here.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 AM    (permalink
CollegeFan
Rookie

CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CollegeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Hmmmmm...

So you've gone from being his friend to being just some guy from his area who knows people who know him, eh? In a few more posts, you're going to be like "I'm just some guy from the other side of the country who doesn't even follow football."

Keep moving those goalposts. You're obviously not an impartial observer, so quit your biased cheerleading. We don't like that very much around here.
I never said I wasn't biased. Catapano fan here for sure. Good kid. Class act. Glad he had a good week in Florida.

Last edited by CollegeFan : 01-21-2013 at 12:29 AM.
CollegeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Power
Rookie

Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Catapano has a long way to go as far as the NFL is concerned IMO.
For most of the first quarter he was lined up over the TE and being blocked cleanly for the most part. He looks alright heading upfield, but when he had to turn and pursue he looked sluggish to me.

I felt the speed of the game was overwhelming to Catapano at times.

This is a huge jump up in competition for him and he's going to have to make major adjustments to his game to stick at the next level.

I just have a hard time seeing a 1AA player from the Ivys being drafted before the 5th-6th round, unless he blows up at the combine.
I spoke to several people there and Catapano impressed scouts. He should go before round 5 because of more than just impressive combine stats. He will post those too but Mike can play and is a hard working guy who will make the improvements necessary to thrive on the next level.

The best East/West game "performance" was from Devin Taylor who has 2 sacks. Mike Catapano who was credited with half a sack, a batted a pass and a few tackles had a few pressures on the QB but didnt perform in the game in quite the dominant fashion as he had in practice all week. But to be fair I thought he looked fine in the game, not slow or "overwhelmed" at all...i didnt see that and I watched the game pretty closely.

Also the rules of the game are different from the practices in that the DEs dont line up in a traditional "outside the tackle" position which is how the position is played. The rules state that they must line "head up" on the TEs which changes how the game is played and limits a pass rusher' in what they can do, which is part of why the scouts watch the practices through wed night then leave. They dont hang around for the game for the most part.

The real analysis takes place during the week of practice. Catapano's head coach for the Shrine Game Jerry Glanville said in this podcast i posted here speaking of the talent on his team coming from a diversity of places "I get a guy in every position every day from east/west nowhere who can flat out play. Are you ready for this? You guys sitting down? The best defensive end is from Princeton and he is awesome!" he then went on to say he was busting his chops with his team and told them not to scream at Catapano or beat him in the head because he could end up being President one day lol. He said imagine I coached Obama, we gotta be nice to this guy. But usually when your head coach singles you out and says you are the best position player on the roster its a good sign. I dont see that only having 1/2 sack and a pretty good game will hurt Catapano's stock in any way come draft time.

http://www.620wdae.com/player/?station=WDAE-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=TomJonesRickStr oud.xml&mid=22790019
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
I spoke to several people there and Catapano impressed scouts. He should go before round 5 because of more than just impressive combine stats. He will post those too but Mike can play and is a hard working guy who will make the improvements necessary to thrive on the next level.

The best East/West game "performance" was from Devin Taylor who has 2 sacks. Mike Catapano who was credited with half a sack, a batted a pass and a few tackles had a few pressures on the QB but didnt perform in the game in quite the dominant fashion as he had in practice all week. But to be fair I thought he looked fine in the game, not slow or "overwhelmed" at all...i didnt see that and I watched the game pretty closely.

Also the rules of the game are different from the practices in that the DEs dont line up in a traditional "outside the tackle" position which is how the position is played. The rules state that they must line "head up" on the TEs which changes how the game is played and limits a pass rusher' in what they can do, which is part of why the scouts watch the practices through wed night then leave. They dont hang around for the game for the most part.

The real analysis takes place during the week of practice. Catapano's head coach for the Shrine Game Jerry Glanville said in this podcast i posted here speaking of the talent on his team coming from a diversity of places "I get a guy in every position every day from east/west nowhere who can flat out play. Are you ready for this? You guys sitting down? The best defensive end is from Princeton and he is awesome!" he then went on to say he was busting his chops with his team and told them not to scream at Catapano or beat him in the head because he could end up being President one day lol. He said imagine I coached Obama, we gotta be nice to this guy. But usually when your head coach singles you out and says you are the best position player on the roster its a good sign. I dont see that only having 1/2 sack and a pretty good game will hurt Catapano's stock in any way come draft time.

http://www.620wdae.com/player/?station=WDAE-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=TomJonesRickStr oud.xml&mid=22790019
With Allstar games the real test is the practices during the week. Scouts have been know to head home before the actual game start.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys don't see me starting a thread in which I constantly talk up Mike Zimmer for HC jobs just because I played HS football and baseball with him.

This thread is two accounts cheerleading him. One claims to be a friend. The other claims to be an ex-employer. They're undoubtedly the same damned person.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All this thread has done is make people hate Mike Catapano. I hope he goes undrafted.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
All this thread has done is make people hate Mike Catapano. I hope he goes undrafted.
I hope he gets drafted by the Giants and never sees a snap because there are like 42 better DEs on the team.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SP = Hater

Catapano will have his chance.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's a dumb attitude. Maybe the new pro-Catapano posters are a little effusive in their praise but without this thread I personally never would've bothered to watch for him, and there have been multiple independent confirmations from those covering the Shrine game that this kid has done well.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am I not allowed to dislike a player?

And it has nothing to do with how good he is or how well he has done, so that's irrelevant.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If a prospect DE can't literally abuse a TE one on one, he's going to have issues in the the pros trying to beat starting OTs.

There's a reason why TEs don't block DEs man up in the pros. Because most of them would get their lunch money stolen.

I just didn't see much flash from Catapano in the actual game that would make an NFL team draft and Ivy League D1AA DE before the 5th round.

He looked like a JAG out there not one of the best defenders in the game, which is what I'd hoped to see when an 'unknown' prospect expects to jump past players from major programs in the draft.

Catapano's challenge isn't the draft, it's earning a spot in TC on some team's final 53 or make their practice squad.

In fact if he ends up on some team's practice squad in 2013, I'd say Catapano had a successful rookie campaign.

There's just such a greater degree of separation between Ivy ball and BCS programs than there was say in the 1970s, I think it's ridiculous to suggest Catapano is a major pro prospect at the position.

Who was the last D1AA DE to become a difference maker in the NFL?? Jared Allen??

I reserve the right to be totally wrong about Mike.lol

We'll see where he ultimately ends up.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 02-21-2013 at 10:28 PM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

And it has nothing to do with how good he is or how well he has done, so that's irrelevant.
Not till after the player gets drafted by the Bears or the Vikings.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Power
Rookie

Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.Power could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

Say what you will and feel how you might...you are certainly entitled to dislike someone you dont know.....but personally I enjoy rooting for the underdog, especially when that underdog happens to be a respected friend. I just saw this on twitter from his school. Didn't know that nobody from Princeton had been drafted higher than round 6 since 1970. Makes me want to see him go higher all that much more. Hate if you want but clearly he can ball. Proved it with a monster senior year as Bushnell Award Winner and this past week in front of 32 NFL teams @ East West Shrine Practice. Kid has alot going for him, so its easy for some to hate on him. But nobody that knows him wants to see him fail...simply too good of a kid. Animal on the field but a gentleman off.

Princetonian Sports ‏@PrinceSports

Some scouts say DL Mike Catapano could be 3rd round pick. The highest @PUTigerFootball pick ever was in 6th round in 1970.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
All-Pro

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like seeing new threads for prospects I haven't heard of, but for a guy who might get picked in the 6th round, we really don't need this bumped to the top of the front page every day.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
I like seeing new threads for prospects I haven't heard of, but for a guy who might get picked in the 6th round, we really don't need this bumped to the top of the front page every day.
Just a general sleeper thread would probably be better. We probably all have our favorite little gem out there. (Cooper Taylor, Richmoned safety)
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just don't come up in this thread if you don't want to read about him. No need to bash the guy.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Just a general sleeper thread would probably be better. We probably all have our favorite little gem out there. (Cooper Taylor, Richmoned safety)
General threads like that are impossible to navigate unless you read every single post. Then you are wading through posts about players or positions of no interest. It's obnoxious. I prefer threads like this, personally.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
General threads like that are impossible to navigate unless you read every single post. Then you are wading through posts about players or positions of no interest. It's obnoxious. I prefer threads like this, personally.
I suppose. Personally i found out all i wanted to know about Mike Catapano halfway through page 1. At least with a general thread i might acutally learn something new, hard to believe i know.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Power
Rookie

Despite having an awesome senior season with 1.2 sacks a game and a great practice week at East West Shrine Game....as well as drawing high praise from his college head coach Bob Surace, his trainer Rich Sadiv, his former pass rush coach Chuck Smith and being called "the best DE on the team" by East Head Coach @ EW Shrine Game Jerry Glanville, Catapano won't be performing at combine but is instead getting ready for Princeton Pro Day on March 20th.

With 4 weeks to go Catapano is posting 1st round #s in all testing procedures. Including a 4.65 40 and over 30 reps on bench. Here is a video posted today by his trainer Rich Sadiv of Catapano doing just shy of 32 reps on the bench at Parisi Speed School in Fairlawn NJ. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMsr7ZrSGe4

Last edited by Power : 02-21-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Catapano not getting invited to the combine should give you a clue about how good a prospect the NFL views him.
Former Brown LB Zak DeOssie was given a combine invite in 2007 and selected in the 4th round by the Giants. Despite putting up impressive combine numbers including running a sub 4.6, his ceiling has been special teams in the pros.

Putting up great workout numbers and being drafted high are nice, but they're secondary to the question that has yet to be answered; can the guy play??

I have yet to see anything to suggest Catapano has the ability to be a difference maker at the next level.

I'd be more interested to see how he performs in an actual NFL TC.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Power
Rookie

Quote:
Catapano not getting invited to the combine should give you a clue about how good a prospect the NFL views him.
Former Brown LB Zak DeOssie was given a combine invite in 2007 and selected in the 4th round by the Giants. Despite putting up impressive combine numbers including running a sub 4.6, his ceiling has been special teams in the pros.

Putting up great workout numbers and being drafted high are nice, but they're secondary to the question that has yet to be answered; can the guy play??

I have yet to see anything to suggest Catapano has the ability to be a difference maker at the next level.

The kid is GREAT...killed it in practice all week at EW Shrine. Has been praised by any coach or trainer who has ever worked with him. Including Jerry Glanville who said Catapano was his BEST DE at practice week. Wasn't on radar going into season and his monster senior year, Bushnell Cup Award and then EW Shrine week performance were great but almost all Combine invite spots were already filled by December.

Many great pros got drafted well who weren't in Combine (Osi Umemyiora was drafted 2nd round for example). All NFL teams who show up at Princeton will be there to see Mike. The combine snub was a letdown because he would've impressed in indy but all he can do is his best. Mike will be more than a difference maker in the NFL. He will be a Pro Bowl Player. Those who have coached him agree. If he went to a top D1 school he would go in the 1st round...but he is fighting a small school bias. Underdog....but a super talented and hard working one. The NFL teams who show up March 20th for his pro day will be very impressed with this kid.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
The kid is GREAT...killed it in practice all week at EW Shrine. Has been praised by any coach or trainer who has ever worked with him. Including Jerry Glanville who said Catapano was his BEST DE at practice week. Wasn't on radar going into season and his monster senior year, Bushnell Cup Award and then EW Shrine week performance were great but almost all Combine invite spots were already filled by December.

Many great pros got drafted well who weren't in Combine (Osi Umemyiora was drafted 2nd round for example). All NFL teams who show up at Princeton will be there to see Mike. The combine snub was a letdown because he would've impressed in indy but all he can do is his best. Mike will be more than a difference maker in the NFL. He will be a Pro Bowl Player. Those who have coached him agree. If he went to a top D1 school he would go in the 1st round...but he is fighting a small school bias. Underdog....but a super talented and hard working one. The NFL teams who show up March 20th for his pro day will be very impressed with this kid.

Why don't you go ahead and let us know all of the prospects that will be pro bowlers, Nostradumbass? You sound completely and totally unbiased, Mrs. Catapano. I'm sure you're very proud of little Mikey..
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
JBScouting
Rookie

JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Say what you will and feel how you might...you are certainly entitled to dislike someone you dont know.....but personally I enjoy rooting for the underdog, especially when that underdog happens to be a respected friend. I just saw this on twitter from his school. Didn't know that nobody from Princeton had been drafted higher than round 6 since 1970. Makes me want to see him go higher all that much more. Hate if you want but clearly he can ball. Proved it with a monster senior year as Bushnell Award Winner and this past week in front of 32 NFL teams @ East West Shrine Practice. Kid has alot going for him, so its easy for some to hate on him. But nobody that knows him wants to see him fail...simply too good of a kid. Animal on the field but a gentleman off.

Princetonian Sports ‏@PrinceSports

Some scouts say DL Mike Catapano could be 3rd round pick. The highest @PUTigerFootball pick ever was in 6th round in 1970.
I first want to say that I hope any player who does things the right way and is a good person and player succeed. With that said. I would love to see him go high in the draft but which NFL scouts have said he could be a 3rd round pick? It only takes one team but the highest grade I got from any scouts I talked to was 6th round. I haven't talked to all 32 teams so maybe someone has him higher but I'm curious which NFL team said 3rd round and how many have him higher than the 6th round?
JBScouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM    (permalink
JBScouting
Rookie

JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBScouting is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

A lot of good players who were not combine invites and it's possible to go in the 2nd or 3rd round without an invite. The problem is that it is very rare.

Last year there were more top 100 picks who did not go to the combine than usual and there were 4.

Here are the top 5 non combine invites drafted last year

1. S Tavon Wilson, Illinois- Patriots- 2nd round- 48th overall.
2. OG Brandon Brooks, Miami Ohio- 3rd round- 76th overall. People thought he was a huge snub from the start. He lit up his pro day and the Shrine Game.
3. DB Brandon Hardin, Oregon State- 3rd round- 79th overall.
4. OG Gino Gradkowski, Delaware- 4th round- 98th overall.
5. TE Adrian Robinson, Cincinnati- 4th round- 127th overall.

Notice that only one of them was a non FBS guy, one was considered a huge snub, and the #5 guy was a basketball player with very little football experience.

The next few happened to be a FCS SS in the 4th round and a DE convert to TE from SMU in the 5th round along with a D3 CB, Purdue OL, and Idaho LB taken in the 5th round.

With that said, small schoolers without a combine invite rarely go higher than the mid 4th round with a few exceptions going higher.

NFL teams view him as a 6th, 7th, or PFA prospect for the most part right now. Someone in every player's camp is thinking much higher than they go. I will say that the combine shows where most teams view a player and him not getting one means his workout will have to be good or else he won't get drafted. If he tweaks a hammy, runs a 4.85 or 4.90 and benches 26 reps he is not getting drafted. If he looks great, runs a 4.70, benches 32 reps, has a great BJ, VJ, and 3-cone while looking good in position drills then I would be surprised if he is not drafted.

Last edited by JBScouting : 02-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.
JBScouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

JB, I was only looking at the Ivy league angle and how Catapano's supporters are hyping him like he's the best Ivy baller since Calvin Hill.

My point was Catapano isn't even more highly regarded than Zac DeOssie by most pro scouts.