Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

I couldn't find a thread on him so here goes

Williams did not have a great showing at the senior bowl and didn't get an invite to the combine.

From all reports Williams seems to be a dominant blocker, yet something of a liability as a reciever.

Do you think it ist possible that Williams could convert to left tackle? This would be something similar to the transition Jason Peters did in Buffalo.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That transition is harder than Peters made it seem. Williams could add some bulk and give it a go, but his real future may just be as a blocking TE.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
That transition is harder than Peters made it seem. Williams could add some bulk and give it a go, but his real future may just be as a blocking TE.
Is it that hard? I don't know the specifics of what is required (hence the thread), but on the surface it seems viable.

Quite a lot of college OTs were former TEs, they all successfully made the transition.

You could probably argue that on other college teams, they would have tried this conversion already.

Sure there is a learning curve and Williams would need to add around 30lbs, but it seems to me that it should be an option that shold be at least considered.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a plus blocker and knows how to get open in the red zone...he'll find his way onto a team

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
Is it that hard? I don't know the specifics of what is required (hence the thread), but on the surface it seems viable.

Quite a lot of college OTs were former TEs, they all successfully made the transition.

You could probably argue that on other college teams, they would have tried this conversion already.

Sure there is a learning curve and Williams would need to add around 30lbs, but it seems to me that it should be an option that shold be at least considered.
Well, the only thing is that most of them were TEs in High School, or early on in their college career. Most didn't go there whole college career at TE and move, I emphasize most.

It will definitely be considered, but I don't see a team drafting him with the intent of moving him. That would leave him to going undrafted. Teams may ask him in interviews if he'd move, and he'd be wise to say he'd be open to it.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Guys like Joe Staley and Eric Fisher came out of highschool as TEs but used their college careers to bulk up. To come out of college needing to gain maybe 40 or 50 pounds, i'm not sure there is that much interest from NFL teams for that.

I happen to think he can make a team as a TE.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just like him as a blocker in general. He's definitely going to be an NFL player, even if he's not really a receiving threat, whether that means teams bring him in like an extra tackle or just change his jersey number to that of the O-line.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Measured in at 6'5 269 and looks pretty maxed out. This is a kid who could stick on a majority of team's 53 because of his terrific inline blocking.

Wouldn't be surprised if SF took him in the 4th-5th to help with their Power O especially with Walker moving on in FA.
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want the Browns to pick him up early in the 5th Round to be a compliment to Cameron for the future. I actually really liked what I saw of Cameron and hope the Browns do not pick a TE any earlier, especially another one who is one dimensional as a receiver like Cameron.

I'm actually happy he did not get an invite to the combine; it will keep his stock in the late 4th, early 5th.
mdmgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he's that bad of a receiver. He has pretty good hands. He runs decent routes. He has no speed, but I think he can be productive if for nothing else other than he will never be covered by a stud LB or S. When he's on the field, he will be an afterthought in the pass game. He will either be the 2nd TE used to chip and release or he will be the lone TE when the D is in a base D and keying on the run.

Never going to be a 60-catch guy, but he could be a guy that gives you 20-30 catches a year and be a huge red zone factor blocking or slipping into a route.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Underrated receiver. He has good hands. Just lacking speed. As a Cowboys fan I think he'd be an ideal compliment to James Hannah, a hybrid guy, behind Witten.

Williams can be a real asset blocking in 2 TE sets, get you a few catches as an emergency valve, and help in goaline sets.

Never going to be a star but will likely be one of those solid, unspectacular guys who can carve out a nice career bouncing around.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have watched a few games of Michael Williams so far. Was just watching Alabama vs Georgia, actually to watch Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree, but couldn't help noticing Michael Williams showing up in the run game over and over again.

Any arguments against this guy being the best blocking TE in the class? In every Alabama game I've watched, opposing players just seem to stick to this guy. Once he's on them, they're out of the play.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 PM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Exclamation

Quote:

??? uh
TitansCJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
Have watched a few games of Michael Williams so far. Was just watching Alabama vs Georgia, actually to watch Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree, but couldn't help noticing Michael Williams showing up in the run game over and over again.

Any arguments against this guy being the best blocking TE in the class? In every Alabama game I've watched, opposing players just seem to stick to this guy. Once he's on them, they're out of the play.
He's a phenomenal run blocker which is where he's going to be his bread and butter in the NFL. He just doesn't have the speed to be a receiving threat at TE in the NFL. He can be a late round pick for a team that needs a blocking TE but he'll never be more than that.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
He's a phenomenal run blocker which is where he's going to be his bread and butter in the NFL. He just doesn't have the speed to be a receiving threat at TE in the NFL. He can be a late round pick for a team that needs a blocking TE but he'll never be more than that.
Yeah never mistook him to be a threat as a receiver but he's spectacular at blocking. For a team that likes to run 2-TE sets, he could get in a ton of snaps.

He's one of the best blocking TE's I ever remember looking at and he's serviceable as an outlet. No speed, but he's got soft hands and would be fine on delays or as a check down on the bootleg.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Leon Sandcastle
Veteran

Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Leon Sandcastle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmgrand View Post
I want the Browns to pick him up early in the 5th Round to be a compliment to Cameron for the future. I actually really liked what I saw of Cameron and hope the Browns do not pick a TE any earlier, especially another one who is one dimensional as a receiver like Cameron.

I'm actually happy he did not get an invite to the combine; it will keep his stock in the late 4th, early 5th.
Ditto. Want the Bills to take a hard look at him in the 5th especially considering Marrone's system is dependent on good blocking TE's.
Leon Sandcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A good run blocking #2 TE who can also play some solid special teams is worth a roster spot, but is he worth anything more than a 6th or so? He has pretty low production in college and will he be anything more in the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
A good run blocking #2 TE who can also play some solid special teams is worth a roster spot, but is he worth anything more than a 6th or so? He has pretty low production in college and will he be anything more in the NFL?
I've been saying "run blocking" but his pass pro is impressive as well. I think he can line up as an H-back as well, Alabama used him out of the backfield as a lead blocker often.

I'd say he's plenty worth a 5th. Especially if he makes your FB expendable.