Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
Albright should be fine at SLB. Chicago has gotten by just fine for years plugging in whoever next to Urlacher & Briggs.
I think because of how strong Lee & Carter are that we can take that approach. We can give Albright first dibs on winning the position and bring back a guy like Sims at league minimum to back him up and take some reps.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like what I saw out of Cornelius Washington today out of Georgia. He was paired with the LBs..wondering why he wasn't with the DL...but his numbers were crazy.

6'4 265lb
Top at position for all categories.
4.55 40
36 reps
39 inch vert
128 broad

He has some similarities to a guy in Seattle who happens to play SLB...KJ Wright. Washington is a guy who I feel like can play in the base as a SLB...and then slide down as a rusher in passing situations. Those measureables should be available 2nd or 3rd day. He had some off the field issues with a DUI...but it appears he went through the process of getting that behind him. I really like this guy and he gives us pass rushing ability from the LB position.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I think because of how strong Lee & Carter are that we can take that approach. We can give Albright first dibs on winning the position and bring back a guy like Sims at league minimum to back him up and take some reps.
I agree. I thought Sims was really good last year. And even when all our linebackers were hurt, the replacements still were not the weakspot on this team.

As for Corneilius, I think the numbers that he put up are going to throw him way up the boards. I say he just made a ton of money.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple more things.

Number one, after watching some combine stuff I am a lot more excited about the draft now. I originally thought it was a weak draft, but I am now thinking that the draft is deep.

Number two, any one have thoughts on Teo at the combine? I think he may have fallen out of the first round. I was not blown away by him at all.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HEISMANHERSCHEL....I agree with you on C Washingtons stock being up. But he still doesn't have the tape behind him...so if he was a 4th rounder before this....I think 2nd or 3rd is about right.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-25-2013, 11:13 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
A couple more things.

Number one, after watching some combine stuff I am a lot more excited about the draft now. I originally thought it was a weak draft, but I am now thinking that the draft is deep.

Number two, any one have thoughts on Teo at the combine? I think he may have fallen out of the first round. I was not blown away by him at all.
to many people get caught up in 40 times in the underwear olympics

to me you shouldn't judge a prospect based solely on what he did at the combine. a guy a may surprise you and maybe you go back and look at his tape, but if a guy runs doesn't run as well as you thought he would that doesn't mean he's no longer a good football player
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:32 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Te'o never was the prospect people made him out to be.

His coverage ability has been vastly overrated due to having 3 times as many int's in his senior season as he did his entire college careers. He doesn't have the athleticism or the ceiling teams look for in the 1st round.

I heard it said today by Casserly, Tannenbaum, and Pioli that they generally grade him as a 25-45 player in this draft and think if he sneaks into the end of the 1st round it's strictly based on leadership/instincts.

As far as an athletic specimen he's below average and is one of those guys that has pretty much topped out.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
With teams playing 50% or more nickel, the SLB on this team is only going to be a 2 down player who will see less snaps than Scandrick. No reason to make a heavy investment into a part time player.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Did this safety write up in the main forum. Figure I'd post it here as well. Interested to hear thoughts. I know a lot more people in the Cowboys section have Vacarro as their #1, so feel free to bash me on that, but these are my unbiased opinions about these guys based on what I've seen myself, not on what I've read from others.

Surprised on the love given to Eric Reid. Takes the worst angles of any of the potential early round safety prospects. I just finished watching LSU vs Texas A&M for the 2nd time and you can honestly see 6 different plays in the first half alone where Reid takes a terrible angle in pursuit. Beyond that, he isn't a FS at the next level. Doesn't have the COD/agility needed to stay with guys in the open field. Will probably be given and opportunity to start but in the end I see him as a someone who's success will be based on scheme and use. Pluses are he plays physical, he can hit and also makes the form tackle. The effort is there, I just think he's going to be relegated to a box type role at the next level if he's going to have an impact. He's an incomplete player.

On TJ McDonald -- as a USC homer, I can tell you this guy isn't worth the time. He'll probably run a good 40, great when considering his size, but it isn't functional speed. He gets broken down in the open field, takes poor angles, and isn't the type of presence in the box that you'd expect from someone his size. He's a big athlete who can run fast in a straight line.. Not to use the obvious comparison but think Taylor Mays. Don't like him at all.

Swearinger flashes but often times allows his teammates to finish plays. He's always around to celebrate but you see him watching other guys finish the play, which I don't like. He's got big play potential but he's inconsistent with his physicality and how much he seems to be engaged in the action. I don't like that in safeties. He's got good COD and range.. Has the skillet to be a starter but It's like he doesn't want to get his jersey dirty when you watch him play. Lack of effort is obvious. Could easily end up being his downfall. He can hit and tackle when he wants to but too much of the time -- he doesn't want to.

Phillip Thomas has more tackles broken on him than tackles made. Also takes poor angles in pursuit. Have heard a lot about him as a mid round gem. Watched 3 games and want no part of him. Similar to Swearinger in that he doesn't want to get his jersey dirty, but he's less physical. At least Swearinger is physical when he wants to be. Thomas is just weak. Very meh prospect for me. I understand people like him as a centerfield type, but under my criteria, if you can't help in the run game and can't tackle, you're worthless. Thomas will also get abused by the new, big, athletic TE's that almost every team is trotting out these days. Only impressive game I could find was against Tulsa -- made a few plays against the run, took the head off a defenseless receiver. That's about it. Completely folds against better competition.

Rambo has the ability to be good. Can cover well (if he wants to) can play the run well (if he wants to). The thing that jumps out is how inconsistent he is from plays to play. He gets lazy, seems disengaged at times. Will take some angles that make you scratch your head and try and tackle a guy around the shoulders. Will come back on the next play and make a form tackle. Likewise in coverage, you'll see him exhibit good range but you can also find plays where he's slow to react and is the primary reason for giving up a play. He is willing to throw his body around, which i like. He's similar to Swearinger to me in that they're both wild cards. They have the skill sets to be good players but will they put in the work? Do they want it? I don't think McDonald, Reid, or Thomas have the potential that Rambo or Swearinger have but I could see Reid ending up as the most serviceable player of those 5 because his effort is above that of Rambo/Swearinger.

Duke Williams -- only able to find 1 game vs Boise State but I like him. Physical, willing hitter, good tackler, takes great angles in pursuit. Seems like he's fine in coverage (good COD/agility) but hard to get a good read after 1 game. Still, I'm able to find more stuff I dislike about Swearinger, McDonald, and Reid & Rambo than I am able to about Williams at this point. Really need to see more but putting him in my #4 slot based on what's available, although admittedly, I'd like to see at least 3-4 games before making any solid judgments on a player. This guy seems like much more of a gem than Phillip Thomas does to me.

Cyprien is a boss on the tape available online. I think I'd have to put this guy as my #1. Although he didnt play the slot very often like Vacarro and Elam did, he always seems to be in position in coverage. If the catch is made on him, he's right there to make the tackle. Showed good range on some PB's. great hitter. Takes great angles towards the line coming from the deep part of the field. from what I can see, I love. He's physical, aggressive, and never seems to get twisted, turned, or broken down in open space. No real flaws in his game rather than lack of elite competition.

I have Elam as my #2 and Vacarro as my #3. I know most would flip flop that based on Elam's lack of size, and thats fine, but I think Elam takes better angles in pursuit than Vacarro and seems to have some coachable flaws (namely, wrapping up on tackles vs going for the big hit). Again, not to make a comparison based on a player who came from the same program but Elam reminds me of a better version of Major Wright coming out. Both are big hitters, have functional speed and agility giving them the ability to cover, too often didnt go for the safe tackle. Elam has more man cov. experience than Wright did with the amount of time he played in the slot. He doesn't get broken down in the open field. I really like his potential.

Vacarro has some problems with tackling around the shoulders, which is coachable but a flaw and should be an easy fix. Takes poor angles in pursuit at times which seems to be the most alarming thing about him. Not sure if that's correctable, if he's playing out of control, not sure but it seems to be something I don't notice with Elam and Cyprien. Vacarro also gets broken down in space at times, most notable example I've watched recently was against Joseph Randle. He plays the slot well. Has good speed and athleticism. Was maybe trying to do too much on account of his team being bad and could definitely be a player, I just happen to prefer Cyprien & Elam to him.

So all my blabber basically leaves me with this as my 2 cents: 1. Cyprien 2. Elam 3. Vacarro 4. Williams 5. Not sure? Toss up between Swearinger/Reid/Rambo

My top 3 guys are on a level about the rest. I feel fairly confident in that all of them have the ability to start in the league and are scheme diverse. Duke Williams doesn't have enough available tape for me to get an accurate read. Eric Reid needs to be protected and needs to be put in the right situation, but the desire is there. Rambo & Swearinger are wild cards due to questionable effort. I don't think McDonald or Thomas have the skills to play in the league.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

No talk about Shamarko Thomas SS Syracuse?

Saw the comparison to Bob Sanders. Pretty similar and was top safety at the combine.

video of him running the 40
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...arko-goes-down

Quote:
OVERVIEW
Losing one parent too early is a devastating event; losing both, then taking the lead in the household as the oldest of six children forces one to grow up in a hurry. Thomas lived through this unfortunate circumstance before the 2010 season, losing his mother to a heart condition and his father to a motorcycle accident within nine months. He considered leaving school for the NFL after his junior year to help provide for his family, but his patience -– along with his speed, athleticism, and bone-jarring tackles –- might pay off in a higher draft slot in the 2013 draft.

The all-state pick in football and as a track sprinter from Virginia Beach stepped into a starting role in seven games as a true freshman, moving from linebacker to safety to cornerback depending on the matchup (41 tackles, 6.5 for loss). He again started seven games and played in all 13 in 2010, racking up 67 tackles, 3.5 for loss and three pass break-ups despite playing with padding and a brace on his left elbow much of the season. Thomas started all 10 games in which he played as a junior (missing two with a leg injury), again making 67 stops, three for loss. Thomas started in all 13 games as a senior, and led the Orange in tackles, with 85. He also intercepted two passes, and forced three fumbles. His play in 2012 earned him a Coaches All-Big East first-team selection.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Tough safety with a linebacker’s mentality and good thickness throughout his frame. Used around the line throughout his career, but also possesses the closing speed to make plays from a two-deep look. Attacks run plays when his recognition skills tell him to come downhill, makes jarring stops by flowing through traffic and lining up his target. Will finish tackles when at his best, wrapping with authority and even throwing running backs of similar size to the ground. Mixes it up in the box despite his size, won’t back down from lineman blocks and will extend his arm to keep them at bay. Effective blitzer off the edge using his speed and change of direction ability to make plays. Speedy and athletic enough to stay with slot receivers down the seam, can show blitz off-tackle and get back to handle slot coverage responsibility. Covers a lot of ground in the secondary when deep, can change directions effectively to get angles to prevent explosive plays. Strong enough to win 50/50 scenarios with receivers in coverage. Leader and communicator in the secondary. Aggressiveness and speed should make him an outstanding special teams coverage player early in his career.
WEAKNESSES Lacks ideal height for a defensive back, though his arm length appears to be more than adequate. Has been a safety/linebacker hybrid through most his career. Leaves his feet on some tackles trying to make the big hit or swipe down defenders instead of taking them on. Gets jumpy and needs to use his hands more effectively when pressing in the slot, can be head-faked at the line to give up inside leverage – though he has recovery speed, length, and toughness to stay in the play. Must prove he possesses the hands to play the ball in the air and to make more difficult interceptions. Lack of height makes him a potential liability in downfield coverage against NFL receivers and tight ends.
nfl.com

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post

Saw the comparison to Bob Sanders. Pretty similar and was top safety at the combine.

nfl.com
I had watched so many guys last night that by the time I got to his USC tape I got through a few plays and realized I needed to shut it down for the night. About to pick it up right now.

If you haven't watched Duke Williams, check him out. Also very impressive as a mid round prospect.

Just finished watching the Sugar Bowl. Teddy Bridgewater is so impressive. Floyd and Elam had good games, Bostic was ok, the rest of the gator D didn't show up.

Found it interesting that after first 2 Louisville TD's, Gators decided to use Elam to shadow Louisvilles #1 WR in red zone despite big size disparity. Also noticed Elam seems to be the captain of the secondary, calls the signals and does pre snap adjustments.

Really feel like the Patriots are going to jump all over him. Just seems like their type if player to me and Belicheck supposedly does the Florida scouting himself from what I've read.

wish there was a way for the Cowboys to get him in the 2nd but no way he's around that long.

Hoping for Cyprien at this point if Sheldon Richardson is off the board.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:

nfl.com
Just watched his games against USC and Pitt. Definitely a hustle guy. 100% effort all the time. Physical. Pretty good in pursuit. Took a few poor angles but the bigger concern was with his tackling. Got his hands on guys quite a few times but it was more of a chop at the legs, not a wrap up. Didnt cut it in college and certainly won't cut it at the next level.

Showed versatility by lining up at S, CB, NB.

He was broken down in space a few times and it looks like a weakness. Definitely better coming forward. Another deficiency was playing out of control. Came in like a missile a few times but completely ran himself out of the play.

Despite his versatility in college I don't get the sense he's scheme diverse in the NFL. Probably limited to SS playing primarily cover-2 if any team gives him an opportunity.

Made quite a few impressive plays on ST which is most likely where he'll make his impact in the NFL. Thinking he could be a plus Danny McCray.

I don't view him as starting material but definitely can help a team.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I'd be ok with Cyprien at 18.

Hell I'm still high on Datone Jones....looked extremely fluid and explosive this weekend to back up a solid offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...m-a-competitor

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This Shamarko Thomas?

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...0&#post3122520

This safety class is so loaded, I don't know why folks still talk about us taking one in Round 1.

I've seen Thomas get burnt pretty frequently as I started to follow him during the season, but that can be a byproduct of the entire defense. What I do like is the way he hits and swarms to the ball. That's what Kiffin's defense will be all about. Leveling guys out, gang tackling and swarming to the ball.

You guys seem to have great convos going on. Kinda jealous. I've been in leadership training all week and I'm not sitting at a computer during the day like I normally do. :/

That said, I'm so excited this week. FRIDAY MORNING I WILL BE ARRIVING IN DALLAS!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Just watched his games against USC and Pitt. Definitely a hustle guy. 100% effort all the time. Physical. Pretty good in pursuit. Took a few poor angles but the bigger concern was with his tackling. Got his hands on guys quite a few times but it was more of a chop at the legs, not a wrap up. Didnt cut it in college and certainly won't cut it at the next level.

Showed versatility by lining up at S, CB, NB.

He was broken down in space a few times and it looks like a weakness. Definitely better coming forward. Another deficiency was playing out of control. Came in like a missile a few times but completely ran himself out of the play.

Despite his versatility in college I don't get the sense he's scheme diverse in the NFL. Probably limited to SS playing primarily cover-2 if any team gives him an opportunity.

Made quite a few impressive plays on ST which is most likely where he'll make his impact in the NFL. Thinking he could be a plus Danny McCray.

I don't view him as starting material but definitely can help a team.
I know bob sanders is the exception. But what seperates a guy like that or even a john lynch from a player like Shamarko Thomas. Because those are concerns I'd have on those players coming out and we are talking about pro bowl players at points in their careers. Both were violent downhill players thats careers were derailed by head injuries at the end. But when healthy they changed the landscape of the defense. I think it's hard evaluating players for our new defense because we haven't seen it....but I feel like he'd be a heck of a SS. That said the organizations view on church probably makes Thomas not a high enough priority to draft. Saw lots of nice DBs today at the combine....we can find a rough starter in day 3 if we scout good.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Hell I'm still high on Datone Jones....looked extremely fluid and explosive this weekend to back up a solid offseason.

I'd be ok with Cyprien too, but not my first choice.

Jones is a good mention! Not at 18 for me though. Fluid doesn't fit my description for him, but strong, versatile and mean are. :) He would be a great fit for us in Round 2 (if he lasts). Can play DE or UT.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
This Shamarko Thomas?

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...0&#post3122520

This safety class is so loaded, I don't know why folks still talk about us taking one in Round 1.

I've seen Thomas get burnt pretty frequently as I started to follow him during the season, but that can be a byproduct of the entire defense. What I do like is the way he hits and swarms to the ball. That's what Kiffin's defense will be all about. Leveling guys out, gang tackling and swarming to the ball.

You guys seem to have great convos going on. Kinda jealous. I've been in leadership training all week and I'm not sitting at a computer during the day like I normally do. :/

That said, I'm so excited this week. FRIDAY MORNING I WILL BE ARRIVING IN DALLAS!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!
With a real chance Sensabaugh is cut and a guy who has a ton of potential in Cyrpien, I don't think it's a stretch at all.

This is a new defense with a new coordinator. He isn't married to the players on the team at this point. If he sees a guy he thinks can be a game changer, I'm sure he'd make the case for it.

Monte has talent at LB, CB, and DE. He has question marks at S & DL. Jason needs to win THIS YEAR. Doing that with a first year defense won't be easy. I think he and Monte would be inclined to push for game changing talent (Richardson/Cyprien) to help make that conversion easier.

Lets not forget Jerry doesn't want to look like a fool for canning fan & player favorite Rob Ryan. It'll go a long way to satisfy his ego if he puts out an improved defense.

I know you're a huge proponent of offensive line in the 1st round but I can easily make the case that OL is deeper in this draft than safety.

In fact, with the teams insistence that the OL is fine. And now the claims that Livings and Bernadeau played through injuries all season as an excuse for their performance, coupled with the smoke about Sensabaugh being released, I could make a case that its more likely Dallas looks at safety in round 1 as opposed OL.

And don't forget about Romo's ability to play behind "lesser olines" enabling the team to look elsewhere.

I really believe some new toys on defense or even a WR like Tavon is more likely than OL. Not saying I'd agree with it, but Jerry has spoken. He wants weapons for Tony.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 02-27-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
I know bob sanders is the exception. But what seperates a guy like that or even a john lynch from a player like Shamarko Thomas. Because those are concerns I'd have on those players coming out and we are talking about pro bowl players at points in their careers. Both were violent downhill players thats careers were derailed by head injuries at the end. But when healthy they changed the landscape of the defense. I think it's hard evaluating players for our new defense because we haven't seen it....but I feel like he'd be a heck of a SS. That said the organizations view on church probably makes Thomas not a high enough priority to draft. Saw lots of nice DBs today at the combine....we can find a rough starter in day 3 if we scout good.
Did you check out Duke Williams yet? Has good range. Posted a 4.43 in the 40. Certainly has the speed to play more of a single-high role with church at SS. He's got a FS build, hits like a truck. Saw him make a few bad plays and some very good plays. The Raw tools are there. I'm guessing he'll go in the 4/5th range but I like him better than some of the guys that are sure to go ahead of him.

He was a high recruit who had invited to USC and LSU but chose to stay local and go to Nevada. Had some off the field issues. Combine that with a small school and it's easy to see why there is no hype.

But check his tape vs. Boise State. That's all I could find other than an awesome highlight reel of him blowing people up. I really think he has potential as a late round guy.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 02-27-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:

For me, Cyprien & Short with our first 2 picks would be great. Take a Kyle Long or Barrett Jones in the 3rd and I'm ecstatic.

Of course that won't happen. We'll prob get a WR in the 1st. Or trade back and grab Eifert. Something weird. Something to give Romo more weapons because god knows Dez/Miles/Witten isn't enough... Jerry is worse with each passing year.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For me, Cyprien & Short with our first 2 picks would be great. Take a Kyle Long or Barrett Jones in the 3rd and I'm ecstatic.

Of course that won't happen. We'll prob get a WR in the 1st. Or trade back and grab Eifert. Something weird. Something to give Romo more weapons because god knows Dez/Miles/Witten isn't enough... Jerry is worse with each passing year.
Do you really feel that Jerry's last 2 drafts were bad? Outside of Claiborne, last years verdict is still out, but there's some promise with Crawford and Hanna. Possibly Johnson, but he's yet to see the field.

2011 we had Smith, Carter, Murray and Harris.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Do you really feel that Jerry's last 2 drafts were bad? Outside of Claiborne, last years verdict is still out, but there's some promise with Crawford and Hanna. Possibly Johnson, but he's yet to see the field.

The last two appear to be solid. In fact, if guys like Crawford, Hanna & Wilber take a step forward, they could turn into great drafts. I think that's JG's influence.

I think one of the biggest issues facing this team is how poor that 2009 draft was. We essentially got the death penalty as a program because of that draft.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last year's class was kind of meh outside of Claiborne. I was scratching my head with the picks we made in the middle rounds. Crawford may turn out to be a decent rotational guy but I'm not expecting Wilbur or Johnson to be much more than Special Teams guys. I thought we could have done a much better job in those rounds. I never liked the upside of those picks.

But that's just me, I know some of you liked the "high motor" strategy and I could be wrong.

The 2011 draft looks like a keeper though, especially if Murray and Carter can stay healthy.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 02-27-2013 at 11:36 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Last year's class was kind of meh outside of Claiborne. I was scratching my head with the picks we made in the middle rounds. Crawford may turn out to be a decent rotational guy but I'm not expecting Wilbur or Johnson to be much more than Special Teams guys. I thought we could have done a much better job in those rounds. I never liked the upside of those picks.

But that's just me, I know some of you liked the "high motor" strategy and I could be wrong.

The 2011 draft looks like a keeper though, especially if Murray and Carter can stay healthy.
All I'm saying is that this time last year, we were not as high on the 2011 draft because of some injury and those guys being rookies. I think the 2012 has a chance to give us some guys if they take step forward. It's just really hard to make a judgement based on a rookie season for these guys.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:

No, to his credit the past few drafts have been better. Although I think that has more to do with Garrett than Jerry.

I also think we had some glaring holes, the right players were in position, and we took them.

With a year like this, where the consensus "weaknesses" are less obvious, I can see him doing something insane.

I think DL & S need to be addressed. A lot of you guys say OL (which I fully agree with, just not in rd 1). Jerry seems to be focused on weapons in his most recent interviews.

With Austin's health being what it is and Harris still somewhat unknown (although he made great improvement), I could definitely see him grabbing Patterson if he fell or T. Austin with the idea of giving Romo a slot weapon.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post

Agree. Not a fan of Wilbur or Johnson picks, even though the team seems to be incredibly high on Johnson for whatever reason.

Crawford is basically the wildcard. If he can't develop into a starter, it makes the draft look rather poor.