Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mike Holmgren: Face of the Raiders? (It could happen)

Let me start this off by saying I was absolutely shocked to hear the possibility of this happening.

However, according to John Clayton and Bill Williamson of ESPN, the Raiders are in serious negotiations to bring Mike Holmgren into the organization in a role that isn't publicly defined at this time. What is clear, however, is that owner Mark Davis is not targeting the former Packer and Seahawk head coach as a consultant. This will not be a small role for the man with the great 'stache, Holmgren would become the face of the franchise to fill the void left by the deceased owner Al Davis.

A basic idea of Holmgren's role with the club would be that Holmgren would take charge of the intersection between the business side and the football side. Reggie McKenzie would still make the personnel decisions and it's possible the Raiders would bring on another body to manage the business decisions such as getting a new stadium, but Holmgren would have his hand in both areas.

This could be huge for the Raiders and the NFL as a whole. The Raiders have been floundering (very publicly) since their loss to the Buccaneers in February of 2003. By aggressively working to get the Silver and Black house in order since the death of his father, Mark Davis is clearly making it a priority to bring the organization of the Raiders franchise in line with the rest of the NFL.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just really want to know what RM has to say about this.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
I just really want to know what RM has to say about this.
Yeah, I think that will be very interesting as well. I can't see that this will be the end of Reggie McKenzie as GM after 1 year in the job. However, this does mean Holmgren would at least have some say in his job. That's probably a good thing considering this is McKenzie's first job as a GM. I would imagine it comes down to McKenzie doing all the hard work and the daily jobs of GM and Holmgren would then have veto power.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How well did Holmgren to for that Browns program?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
How well did Holmgren to for that Browns program?
They were a pretty competitive team last year. Really Young.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

The Browns are actually in a much better spot because of what Holmgren did for them. He also did a good job building up the Seahawks while he was with them until Matt Hasselbeck broke down.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
The Browns are actually in a much better spot because of what Holmgren did for them. He also did a good job building up the Seahawks while he was with them until Matt Hasselbeck broke down.
I respectfully disagree. It was when Holmgren was stripped of the GM label that the Seahawks finally started moving forward. He was very mediocre as a personnel man in Seattle. I would never give him any control over any phase of my team. I think the game has passed him by and Oakland will not benefit from having him on board.

Holmgren knows the WCO and only the WCO. He does not know jack about defense. He will make some great draft choices offensively, but his approach is very tunnel-visioned. The NFL is evolving rapidly and his mindset is still with the '96 Packers.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 PM    (permalink
J255979-11nine
Rookie

J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best part of Holmgren in Cleveland was that he brought Heckert with him. Also, I was under the impression that Seattle stripped him of "GM" duties following the 2004 season.

Roger Goodell: Protecting the business by ruining the game.
J255979-11nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Pat Sims 90
All-Pro

Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pat Sims 90 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Holmgren will talk the Raiders into trading a pick for Brandon Weeden.

RIP themaninblack
Pat Sims 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J255979-11nine View Post
The best part of Holmgren in Cleveland was that he brought Heckert with him. Also, I was under the impression that Seattle stripped him of "GM" duties following the 2004 season.
This is a good point. I had forgotten about Seattle stripping him of his GM duties.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
Maybe he could trade for Matt Cassel.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 View Post
That would be the only way to make that pick of any of use. I still can't believe Cleveland picked CJ...I mean Ole Man Weeden that early.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coming to an Oakland near you.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if he did get stripped of GM duties at end of his tenure, the team that got to the superbowl in Seattle were all his players.

And I repeat, last year's cleveland team was very competitive in most of their games and they got a nice little young nucleus especially on defense.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I gotta say...I wouldn't want him based solely on what he did with his first round last year.

-I hate me some running backs before round four.

-I REALLY hate me some trading up to draft a RB in the top 5.

-I hate me some 28-year old rookies in the first round.

When think about the talent that was available at those picks, I get angry. He broke pretty much every rule I have about good drafting. Good thing I'm not a Browns fan.

Last edited by Monomach : 03-01-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 PM    (permalink
J255979-11nine
Rookie

J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
I gotta say...I wouldn't want him based solely on what he did with his first round last year.

-I hate me some running backs before round four.

-I REALLY hate me some trading up to draft a RB in the top 5.

-I hate me some 28-year old rookies in the first round.

When think about the talent that was available at those picks, I get angry. He broke pretty much every rule I have about good drafting. Good thing I'm not a Browns fan.
Round 4 for backs, really?

Roger Goodell: Protecting the business by ruining the game.
J255979-11nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J255979-11nine View Post
Round 4 for backs, really?
Build a good line with those picks. They make 4th and 5th round backs look like 1st round backs.

Besides, running backs should only be on your team for four years or so. You don't want to pay them when contract time comes.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh. I wouldn't be that excited if I was a Raiders fan. I mean, are the pieces really in place for the Browns to go the distance in the near future? And he was stripped of his GM duties in Seattle after a while. He was a great coach every single place he's been, but as a behind the scenes guy, I wouldn't be too thrilled. The entire Raiders organization is a joke and I don't see Mike Holmgren saving the day.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Worse GM than Al Davis. He simply cannot be allowed any input into personnel matters.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Meh. I wouldn't be that excited if I was a Raiders fan. I mean, are the pieces really in place for the Browns to go the distance in the near future? And he was stripped of his GM duties in Seattle after a while. He was a great coach every single place he's been, but as a behind the scenes guy, I wouldn't be too thrilled. The entire Raiders organization is a joke and I don't see Mike Holmgren saving the day.
Of the established guys in the league, who do you think would be a good fit for that role?

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Cleveland is really only two pieces away. It's a good, young team with assloads of cap room. Add a QB and a premium pass rusher & they're in the playoffs...despite Holmgren drafting like an idiot last year.

Last edited by Monomach : 03-02-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do we even really know how much of that was Holmgren? He was just the team president, Heckert was the GM.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote