Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
You can't simply move up from the basement to the Super Bowl in one season. If you continue to suck you lose your fans and you lose your front office and then you have to start rebuilding again. Bringing in Smith gives the Chiefs a few years of stability before the fans start calling for heads, during which they can build a good team.
You're not familiar with the KC fanbase, but they're calling for heads now. Stability is not an issue. When you're a team who hasn't had a playoff win in over 11 years or drafted a QB in the first for 3 decades, things are different.

There is no way that spending the #34 overall pick in a deep class is worth it unless you're a 49ers fan. This was a stupid move, plain and simple.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
The price isn't even that high. A lot of people are overrating these second rounders.
True. Patrick Chung means nothing to the Patriots these days.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who here joins my viewpoint now that I hope Colin Kaepernick never lives up to his 1st season as a starter and defenses figure him out. I mean if Kaepernick continues to get better, they could be the NFCs version of the Pats.

I dont think anyone other than SF fans want that. Hopefully the pistol offense gets figured out fast by opposing defenses.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like a reasonable trade to me. It's not like the Chiefs had a lot of better options out there. If Smith doesn't play well, they can just move on next year. Fans love Draft picks, but it's not like a second rounder is a guarantee to be a good player. Just look at the Chiefs history of second rounders. For every one good player, they probably drafted 2 or 3 average to below average players in the second round.

^What I just did to your argument
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Playoffs?!?!? Are you kidding me? They won't be going to the playoffs.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Again, I don't care about the playoffs. Every move you make should be helping you contend for a SB. Alex Smith will not do that here in KC. He won't. It is a waste of a very high 2nd round pick for very little improvement.

It's a waste and it's a dumb move by a ******* gutless franchise.
I'm not seeing this as a back-breaking move. Who would we have taken at #34? Nassib? Its still more than I would give up, but it probably means he saw more in Smith than anyone in this draft class, which isn't exactly that far-fetched of idea.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's okay vidae and Splat, just think about Psych coming back tonight!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Seems like a reasonable trade to me. It's not like the Chiefs had a lot of better options out there. If Smith doesn't play well, they can just move on next year. Fans love Draft picks, but it's not like a second rounder is a guarantee to be a good player. Just look at the Chiefs history of second rounders. For every one good player, they probably drafted 2 or 3 average to below average players in the second round.
We have two or three of these debates every year on this site. And every year we do the math and the bust rate is just so much higher than people realize.

Anyway, I think the REAL issue with this trade is this:

Alex Smith is going to be good enough to keep your team from picking top 5.

And the best thing for a team without a long-term QB is to pick top-5. Sucks that this year was horrible for QBs, but another top-5 pick next year could have resulted in JF or TB. Now they're 6-to-9 wins it seems.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
It's okay vidae and Splat, just think about Psych coming back tonight!
Unless Jules gets naked it's not going to help.
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
I'm not seeing this as a back-breaking move. Who would we have taken at #34? Nassib? Its still more than I would give up, but it probably means he saw more in Smith than anyone in this draft class, which isn't exactly that far-fetched of idea.
Tyler Wilson? EJ Manuel?

If the Chiefs just spent #34 on Alex ******* Smith, they're not drafting a QB at 1/1 or 3/63. Maybe in the 4th or 5th, maybe. MAYBE.

That means instead of the consensus top QB in the draft, or even a top 5 QB in the draft, they'll be picking the 7th or 8th best QB in the draft. And that is a big maybe.

It's a bad ******* decision. There is no way to sell this as a good idea.

Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone be nice to Vidae and Splat!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
This is a good point.

Like Hasley said, more often than not "34" in 2013 looks way better than what 34 turns out to be three years later.

But the 2014 pick is just unacceptable. Clearly there was another team heavily interested. I'd guess Browns. I can't imagine they were so stupid to be duped that hard negotiating agaisnt themselves.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a 2nd round pick......for Alex Smith??????

**** off Dorsey. **** off Reid.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
H.O.O.D
Veteran

H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.H.O.O.D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Everyone be nice to Vidae and Splat!
Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke will make them a feel little bit better by sending 31 or 34 to Oakland for their top 10 pick next year.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Tyler Wilson? EJ Manuel?

If the Chiefs just spent #34 on Alex ******* Smith, they're not drafting a QB at 1/1 or 3/63. Maybe in the 4th or 5th, maybe. MAYBE.

That means instead of the consensus top QB in the draft, or even a top 5 QB in the draft, they'll be picking the 7th or 8th best QB in the draft. And that is a big maybe.

These prospects are not good. That's the point you seem to be missing.

Alex Smith is better than them. All of them. That's the sad, cold truth. You seem to be enamored with adding one through the draft so he's your own. But if you watch the tape - Alex Smith is better than any QB in this draft. And he's a sure thing. Could one of these prospects fix all of his flaws and turn into a good QB? Sure. Would that be better than Smith? Maybe.

You took Alex Smith at 34. When you wrap your head around the idea that Smith is better than the QB you would've taken there, you'll at least understand how they played the market (because as you know, there was immense pressure to add a QB RIGHT NOW!).

What sucks is the 2014 pick.
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tyler Wilson? EJ Manuel?

I would be surprised if Tyler Wilson or EJ Manuel have better careers than Alex Smith has...It could happen, but I would I don't think I would bet on it.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting to see where they go with that #1 pick now....could still be Geno? idk since they gave up an awful lot for smith. I thought a 5th for smith and bring in geno to develop, but damn

Geno could be an eagle or card now
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tyler Wilson? EJ Manuel?

They could also trade back in the first if some team covets Joeckel or whoever else they have on their boards and stockpile picks. Instead of using the first pick overall on a QB in a draft where no consensus top QB exists they can get one in the mid-to late first. Not much separates the top QBs in this draft.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a huge deal for the 49ers but many are assuming Smith won't play well. If he even plays decent this is a solid move for Reid and company too.

I'll be rooting for the Chiefs to do well with this.

Can't wait for the draft, though :)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With management like this, the Chiefs will get the next Andrew Luck!
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andy Reid and everyone that went along with this trade should be fired immediately.

RIP themaninblack
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The Chiefs probably are not moving back. They have no leverage to do so.

Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't be surprised if the Chiefs still spend a relatively high pick on a QB. Reid spent an early rounder on guys like Kolb and Foles while already having a starter in place.

^What I just did to your argument
Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
With management like this, the Chiefs will get the next Andrew Luck!
I wish that were true. Unfortunately Reid + mediocre/smart QB = wins. Enough to stay way from JF and TB next year at least.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry Chiefs fans. :/ You guys deserve better.
Closed Thread