Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take Earl Thomas and Jairus Byrd over Goldson any day of the week.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goldson should be getting paid now that Alex Smith is off the books. He isn't great in every situation, but he is an impact player for the 49ers. With the right responsibilities he is a very valuable cog in the defense. Bernard Pollard is a similar guy in a way. With pieces around him, he can make some great plays but he wouldn't be great if he was solely relied on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
I'll take Earl Thomas and Jairus Byrd over Goldson any day of the week.
def a viewpoint that could be argued. Ill take Goldson but Im not saying its by a lot. Goldson is the best enforcer, Thomas is best in coverage, Byrd is the most balanced.

One thing I have to say is I dont think there are any GREAT safeties out there right now. Plenty of good one. But none of the best guys right now can touch recent years where we had guys like Reed, Polamalu and Dawkins in their primes.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just think it is easier to find an enforcer than it is to find a great coverage guy.

We just had a great period of safeties. I'm gonna miss these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Goldson should be getting paid now that Alex Smith is off the books. He isn't great in every situation, but he is an impact player for the 49ers. With the right responsibilities he is a very valuable cog in the defense. Bernard Pollard is a similar guy in a way. With pieces around him, he can make some great plays but he wouldn't be great if he was solely relied on.
The 49ers probably won't raise their offer. How the 49ers work FA is usually, they set a price and will rarely if ever budge over that amount.

They offered Alex Smith a 3 year, 24 million dollar contract last year. He didn't like it and didn't sign it, they "evaluated" Peyton Manning, and a week after the start of FA he signed the same contract.

They're far apart in price range and they probably won't franchise him, so he's going to test the market. I don't blame him either, he's an All-Pro hitting his prime, this is the best time for him to cash in.

It all depends if some team out there is willing to pay Goldson what he wants, if he can't find a suitor than he'll probably be back. 49ers aren't willing to franchise him at 7.4 for 1 year so they're probably offering less than that annually.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 AM    (permalink
AcheTen (Thumper)
Veteran

AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper) AcheTen (Thumper)

The 49ers are in a great spot because if Goldson wants more than they're willing to offer him, then they can simply use one of their high picks to draft his replacement. This year's safety class is pretty strong and any one of Matt Elam, Kenny Vaccaro, Johnathan Cyprien, etc will be there late in the 1st round for them.
AcheTen (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the number of draft picks SF has, I think it's better to just go ahead and grab a safety in the draft. Don't need an $8M safety killing all of your cap flexibility for 5 or 6 years. if you've got the draft picks and a stacked team, you might as well use them to turn over a big-money starter or two.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Earl Thomas is by far and away the best FS in the league.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Earl Thomas is by far and away the best FS in the league.
Some would argue Jairus Byrd is that guy and that Thomas looks better because of the talent around him. What do you think Thomas does better that makes him the superior player?

I'm undecided on this subject so I really want to know.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Some would argue Jairus Byrd is that guy and that Thomas looks better because of the talent around him. What do you think Thomas does better that makes him the superior player?

I'm undecided on this subject so I really want to know.
Byrd is a hell of a FS and probably in the top 5 at the worst.

Thomas's range is just second to none. No one in the league plays the post better than Earl Thomas. I personally prefer that over anything else so to me Earl is the best.

He's not the greatest in run support, he's not as great as other in man coverage. But Earl has the best range in the league, plays the post better than any FS in the league, and can cover the slot better than any FS in the league.

For those reasons I like Thomas the best. Byrd is very good though. I can argue that Byrd plays the slot better than Thomas, but he doesnt play the post as well, although he's very good there as well. Probably better in man coverage vs TEs and run support as well.

But with Earl Thomas, I can play single high all game long and not worry about the deep ball. That's priceless bc it opens up the defense so much.