Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
OH MY GOODNESS J-MIKE IS ACTUALLY TRYING TO MAKE VALID FOOTBALL POINTS

and about ALEX SMITH.

and there were JT O'Sullivan and SHAUN HILL name drops.

never change Pro Football thread, never change.

Amidst all this, i will say this, Ness is the only one who's actually made a post with logic on the Alex Smith side. So there's that.

Meanwhile it's ad homs, skewed perspectives, Tom Brady references, bad mouthing 2nd round picks and nobody watching TACKLE blow every statistical argument to smithers with his stats. #boom
hmmmm..

/thread

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol Smith to KC....I'm sorry Viddy, I love ya but this is too funny.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love coming home to find out that there is a team dumb enough to trade the 34th pick for a guy who has 7 years of mediocre football, who they could have signed without giving up anything 12 months ago. The only thing that has changed since then is that he got benched after 8 games.

This is why we American Football.
cmarq83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I love coming home to find out that there is a team dumb enough to trade the 34th pick for a guy who has 7 years of mediocre football, who they could have signed without giving up anything 12 months ago. The only thing that has changed since then is that he got benched after 8 games.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2013 Kansas City Chiefs.

You sir, won the internet.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
That's where the intangibles come into play. Leadership skills. Your own ability to teach and command the respect of your peers.

Bc a good qb makes the guys around him better. And Smith does not do that.

If we're taking a group test, as the leader of the group and the guy with the most knowledge, it is my responsibility to not only learn the information, but to also pass that information onto my group members and teach it to them in a way that they learn it as well. And that in itself requires talent.

A qb is essentially an extension of the coaching staff that plays on the field.
Meh, you can have good leadership skills, but still suck from a talent standpoint as far quarterbacking is concerned. Marc Bulger didn't come off as much of a leader, but was a pretty good quarterback for the Rams for four or five seasons before all of the hits started to effect his play. Montana led wit his play on the field and wasn't that vocal. Leadership is an interesting dynamic that I don't think can necessarily be quantified. People lead in different ways.

I do agree with your last statement though that a quarterback is essentially an extension of the coaching staff that he is learning under. In regards to Smith that doesn't really say much for Mike Johnson, Jeff Hostler or Jimmy Raye during his time with them. Norv Turner and Greg Roman/Harbaugh did make him competent of course that isn't a surprise.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like I said, the Chiefs are already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Good 2013 season y'all.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And I will continue to laugh at your point, bc you're comparing 16 games to 8.
Except I am not. I am comparing Smith's 2011 season to Cassel's 2010 season. You could at least read the post.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post

Well when you put it like that, it sounds pretty dumb.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Except I am not. I am comparing Smith's 2011 season to Cassel's 2010 season. You could at least read the post.
Smith's 2011 season was nearly identical to Cassel's season so I'm not sure what exactly you are arguing.

Yards: Smith +28
TDs: Cassel +10

I say Cassel has the pretty clear advantage there. You talk about Cassel completing under 60%. Smith only complete 61%. The difference over the entire season? About 14 completions. Pretty negligible. And Cassel had a better rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only advantage with Smith is if Cassel's confidence is just completely gone even with a fresh season. Smith is a more fluid athlete, but that's about it.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just dont understand why niners fans are arguing FOR smith? nobody was defending kwame brown when he got traded for pau gasol

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So again, I ask the question.

Show me a legitimate difference.

Look, I might be a dick, and I might be snotty with my argument, but at least my argument is the same. I think they both suck. So I'm sticking to the same principles on judging both of them.

But if you feel Smith is a good qb, then please show me why Cassel isn't either since they pretty much have had identical careers.

You can't tell me Smith is good and Cassel isn't, and not provide any irrefutable evidence as to why. Show it to me.

If you can show it to me, I'll accept the trade. Until then, I'm going to mock this trade.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care if Alex Smith is better. Giving up what we did is robbery, and no amount of arguing will change that fact.

The Chiefs got bent over and raped in this trade, it really is that simple.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

You know how bad this trade is?

I haven't gotten a legitimate answer to my question of how Alex Smith is any different to Matt Cassel.

Matt Cassel.

If Smith was any good, we'd have 10 pages worth of reasons. Bc Cassel blows balls.

But we don't even have a single legitimate answer yet.

That's how bad this trade is.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wasn't Alex Smith the QB who went toe-to-toe with Drew Brees in the playoffs, didn't blink, and was actually the catalyst to the Niners winning? Plus Smith likely would've gone to a Super Bowl that had Kyle Williams not turned the ball over on two punts. Let's quit acting like Alex Smith is a horrendous QB.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Wasn't Alex Smith the QB who went toe-to-toe with Drew Brees in the playoffs, didn't blink, and was actually the catalyst to the Niners winning? Plus Smith likely would've gone to a Super Bowl that had Kyle Williams not turned the ball over on two punts. Let's quit acting like Alex Smith is a horrendous QB.
Smith would've gone to a super bowl if he completed a pass to a wide receiver that game. Or was able to move the ball down the field.

Cool. He torched one of the most horrendous pass defenses in the league. I'm not discrediting that game and Smith balled like a mofo. We're not saying he's horrendous (or i'm not). He's average. Painfully mediocre. NOT worth a 2nd rounder. His upside is limited. THAT's what's going on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, and people saying 34 isn't much to give up is absurd. The 34th pick can essentially net you another first round talent. It's HUGE to lose.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You know how bad this trade is?

I haven't gotten a legitimate answer to my question of how Alex Smith is any different to Matt Cassel.

Matt Cassel.

If Smith was any good, we'd have 10 pages worth of reasons. Bc Cassel blows balls.

But we don't even have a single legitimate answer yet.

That's how bad this trade is.
He's more accurate, more mobile, smarter and can take more of a beating. Anything else?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
He's more accurate, more mobile, smarter and can take more of a beating. Anything else?
As evidenced by him missing a full season? And 9 games another season? Really? THAT is where you went with that?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Regarding Belichek, he was on his way to building something great in Cleveland until the whole Baltimore talk happened, then everything went to ****. He went 11-5 in his best season there. I don't think Smith is the kind of quarterback to build around, given his track record, but he can at least be a decent stop-gap before Andy Reid gets 'his guy'. I still think the Chiefs paid too high for a 'stop-gap' though.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM    (permalink
J255979-11nine
Rookie

J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I don't care if Alex Smith is better. Giving up what we did is robbery, and no amount of arguing will change that fact.

The Chiefs got bent over and raped in this trade, it really is that simple.
What's that Ben Franklin quote? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Yeah, there go the Chiefs giving away another 2nd round pick (34th overall again!) for an average starter. On the bright side think of all the dump offs and bubble screens McCluster is gonna get!

Roger Goodell: Protecting the business by ruining the game.
J255979-11nine is offline   Reply With Quote
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Smith would've gone to a super bowl if he completed a pass to a wide receiver that game. Or was able to move the ball down the field.

Cool. He torched one of the most horrendous pass defenses in the league. I'm not discrediting that game and Smith balled like a mofo. We're not saying he's horrendous (or i'm not). He's average. Painfully mediocre. NOT worth a 2nd rounder. His upside is limited. THAT's what's going on here.
Mediocrity is where the quarterback position is now in the NFL.

Philadelphia, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St. Louis, Buffalo, Miami, New York Jets, Kansas City (looking prior to trade), Oakland, San Diego, Cleveland, Jacksonville and Tennessee all have experienced mediocrity or worse at the quarterback position. Miami has the youth in Tannehill but he has a ton of developing to do yet. A 2nd round pick for a QB who is mediocre to slightly above is the going rate in the league today.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
As evidenced by him missing a full season? And 9 games another season? Really? THAT is where you went with that?
Doesn't change anything.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
More accurate how? 58.9% vs 59.3% career complete percentage. Whoopidy doo?

More mobile? Both are mobile.

Smarter how? Did you offer them the same riddle or something?

Can take more of a beating? If missing more games means take more of a beating, sure.

Soooooo, you were saying?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Doesn't change anything.
Oh, you're right. He didn't miss it due to injury, he missed it to JT O'Sullivan beating him out in camp. I saw the 0 Games Played and assumed.

I'm not sure that is any better though.

edit: Wait, he did miss the entire 2008 season due to the shoulder injury, didn't he?