Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
If you actually think that trading what they did for Alex Smith will put asses in the seats or sell jerseys, you're sorely mistaken. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few blackouts at Arrowhead this year.
I absolutely think it will when he has them competing each week in the thick of a playoff race in a weak AFC...

Alex Smith would have to regress mightily in order for that not be the case. Reid always gets the best out of his QBs.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
And Pryor should at least get 1 real shot at the job after Palmer.
Pryor has no business being a starting QB - he is the exact same player Matt Jones was. There is nothing special about his arm strength, accuracy (which is garbage), ability to read a defense and decision making. All he can do is run fast. Put him at receiver.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I absolutely think it will when he has them competing each week in the thick of a playoff race in a weak AFC...

Alex Smith would have to regress mightily in order for that not be the case. Reid always gets the best out of his QBs.
He would have to regress mightily, or return to the QB he was before Harbaugh. Both of which I could see happening in KC.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
The problem is that Sanchez was drafted under the old CBA, so they re-did his contract to free up cap space for 2012. Everybody in the Jets' organization knew it was a last hurrah of sorts with an old, depleted roster and they tried to keep things together one more year. Really, where the Jets hosed themselves was back in 2010 when they sacrificed the future to push a bunch of money out.

Geno Smith won't make as much money as Mark Sanchez did, so that problem isn't really a problem. Look at the Jags, they drafted Gabbert 10th, found out he sucked after two years, and will likely move on from him.

Drafting a bad QB isn't the end of the world like people make it seem. People have to separate that what's good for the GM/decision maker isn't always good for the franchise. I saw it happen with Gene Smith. The Jets saw it happen with Tannenbaum. When you make long-term decisions to protect your job for one more season...that's when you **** the franchise over as a GM.
Yeah, the Jets' practice of pushing guaranteed money to the future to open up cap space in the current year really screwed them over. Among Tannenbaum's many mistakes, two of the bigger ones were overpaying to re-sign (and really outright sign) good but not great players and trying to go into win-now mode last offseason with a roster that was clearly no longer going to be a Super Bowl contender.

Gabbert is the example I keep using. With the new CBA it's really easy to wash your hands of a QB if you find out he's not a long-term answer. Given the importance of finding a good QB in the league, I think the "if you don't have a franchise QB and you think one is available, you take him" idea is more true than ever right now. It kind of sucks when you get put into a situation where they're good enough to stay but not a good long-term answer and you hang onto them a bit longer than you should, but there's no need to throw out a big money extension either. As long as there's a guy on the board you think could be a franchise guy, not sure why you wouldn't take a shot every 2-3 years until you find one.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Pryor has no business being a starting QB - he is the exact same player Matt Jones was. There is nothing special about his arm strength, accuracy (which is garbage), ability to read a defense and decision making. All he can do is run fast. Put him at receiver.
This has been your mantra regarding Pryor for a long time, but no matter how many times you repeat it, you cannot make it true just by saying it.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
And Pryor should at least get 1 real shot at the job after Palmer.
I'm thinking that happens sometime this season.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
This has been your mantra regarding Pryor for a long time, but no matter how many times you repeat it, you cannot make it true just by saying it.
But I can always say told you so after he fails
Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
But I can always say told you so after he fails
HAHA! This is true.

I can say in his start during week 17, he clearly had a LOT of mechanical issues from his feet all the way up to his head.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now that I've heard Schefter say it, I'm mildly convinced (and baffled) that the Chiefs really are giving up pick #34 + a conditional pick. If that really is the case, I really am going to expect Fisher or Joeckel... or something crazy like Patterson or Ansah.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Now that I've heard Schefter say it, I'm mildly convinced (and baffled) that the Chiefs really are giving up pick #34 + a conditional pick. If that really is the case, I really am going to expect Fisher or Joeckel... or something crazy like Patterson or Ansah.
I wouldn't be shocked by Patterson. And still try to re-sign Bowe. At least surround your new marginally talented QB with some weapons.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pryor isn't the answer we all know that.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

Quote:
HAHA! This is true.

I can say in his start during week 17, he clearly had a LOT of mechanical issues from his feet all the way up to his head.
Yea - I don't really want to argue about Pryor - we both have our opinions and both seem to be pretty firm with them. All I can say is that he is one of those guys like Joe Webb...hell even like Mike McMahon (back in the early to mid part of the last decade) who runs around like a chicken with his head cut off and sometimes makes big plays but lacks the talent as a passer to be consistent.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raiders should draft Geno Smith and let him compete with Pryor and Carson Palmer for the starting gig.

I get the Jets needing to free up cap space, but why didn't they just restructure Mark Sanchez' contract and defer money for later?? WHy did they have to add $20-30(??)mil to his rookie deal?? That I don't get.

Andy Reid is in WIN NOW mode. Seems like he doesn't want to spend the next couple of years grooming a rookie QB.
It's funny because I think he's going to be doing exactly that with Alex Smith, who in no way do I think has arrived as an NFL QB.

Wherever Geno goes as a rookie, if he starts I think he's odds on favorite for OROTY.

That's fine, if the Chiefs win at least 8 games and are competing for the division late into the season.

However Alex isn't going to be protected by a reliable running game the way he was in SF. Andy Reid believes you run to set up the pass, not the other way around. He like having talented RBs, but he prefers to utilize them as receivers.

It's hard for me to believe Alex Smith won't have at least a fair amount of success under Reid. But IMO Reid is going to expect Alex to win games, not to only just not lose them. I don't know if Alex is up for that.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Raiders should draft Geno Smith and let him compete with Pryor and Carson Palmer for the starting gig.

I get the Jets needing to free up cap space, but why didn't they just restructure Mark Sanchez' contract and defer money for later?? WHy did they have to add $20-30(??)mil to his rookie deal?? That I don't get.

Andy Reid is in WIN NOW mode. Seems like he doesn't want to spend the next couple of years grooming a rookie QB.
It's funny because I think he's going to be doing exactly that with Alex Smith, who in no way do I think has arrived as an NFL QB.

Wherever Geno goes as a rookie, if he starts I think he's odds on favorite for OROTY.

That's fine, if the Chiefs win at least 8 games and are competing for the division late into the season.

However Alex isn't going to be protected by a reliable running game the way he was in SF. Andy Reid believes you run to set up the pass, not the other way around. He like having talented RBs, but he prefers to utilize them as receivers.

It's hard for me to believe Alex Smith won't have at least a fair amount of success under Reid. But IMO Reid is going to expect Alex to win games, not to only just not lose them. I don't know if Alex is up for that.
This is a solid take on the trade. You bring up a good point about Reid and RBs and it makes me feel back for Jamaal Charles. He went through all that crap last year having games he would get less than 5 carries and now he has Reid?

Time to get out of there in a hurry Jamaal.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jamaal could have a 1000 yards receiving no joke. He will be getting the ball one way or another.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Jamaal could have a 1000 yards receiving no joke. He will be getting the ball one way or another.
That's a good point. Westbrook came close to 1000/1000 a couple times. I could see Charles doing that especially with how often Smith goes for the check down.

That scares me.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM    (permalink
J255979-11nine
Veteran

J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J255979-11nine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They have to be trading back now, right?

Roger Goodell: Protecting the business by ruining the game.
J255979-11nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J255979-11nine View Post
For what?

Who would trade up to #1?

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
No. The only way it's fine is if Geno is absolutely terrible and the Chiefs make the playoffs the next 3 years+.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hope so, but who would move up? And for what prospect? It seems like a longshot.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I hope so, but who would move up? And for what prospect? It seems like a longshot.
There is no clear cut #1 prospect that teams would try to leap frog for.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The only way they get to trade back now is if someone wants to move to #1 to get Geno Smith. In that scenario, the Chiefs look even worse if Geno turns out to be good (which I think he will) because they aren't just passing on Geno, they're giving him away.

With 3 Top 10 LTs, I don't see anyone trading up for that. Nor do I see anyone trading up for one of the 4 Top 10 DLs.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Obviously. That's what I was sayin dawg.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Obviously. That's what I was sayin dawg.
Wasn't trying to dispute what you said. I was trying to tack on that your post was what I was trying to say right before you.

It was a quote of agreement.

Oldie but a goodie.

Last edited by nobodyinparticular : 02-27-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote: