Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vaccaro ran 4.59 and 4.62 I believe.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Milliner's official time is reported to be 4.37.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Milliner answered all questions and bumped himself up into that elite category today.

*and now I'm actually watching the combine instead of just seeing the 40 time...I have to see more from him...Fisher is still #1 on my board.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 02-26-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fisher is Joe Staley
Joeckel is D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Ansah is Aldon Smith
Milliner is Carlos Rogers

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Xhavier Rhoades and Trufant both ran well too. This is a real solid CB class if you ask me. Makes it tough to take Milliner at 5 when there's decent odds the best CB could be found in the late 1st or early second.

At the same time Milliner has now graded out as elite IMO and therefore I think you can't pass that up.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I cannot offer any comparisons to current NFL players, I like the following players at our picks:

1st round)
A) Eric Fisher - This guy can play and he fills the LT post for 10-15 years. Backus is under contract for one more. The move allows us to drop Cherilous and move Rieff to RT saving money against the cap. You have bookend tackles for the rest of Stafford's career and secure the franchise. It would allow us to move Backus to another position, play Rieff at guard and let Fisher get acclimated to the NFL for a year while Backus plays out his final year at LT. It is a solid choice moving forward. Hell, it would allow us to drop Backus in a trade.
B) Chance Warmack - He also allows us to make several moves along the OL and to see what we have in Fox. I don't like it because we may not be in a position to draft a LT for years after this. Warmack may step in and be a force from day one. He grades out better than Hutchinson and that says something.
C) Dee Milliner - How long has it been since we drafted a CB in the first round? I don't see any flaws here. We get better at CB. We save money in not re-signing Houston. Larger corner, good tackler, shores up the back seven.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

2nd round)
A) Tank Carradine - He is bigger, stronger and better than Avril ever thought of being. He might be the best overall DE in the draft. His injury allows us to get him here. He is 6'5" 265" and the defense gets more stout.
B) Aurthur Brown - Great LB'er for Kansas State. He has great speed and is a three down LB'er. Talented and fierce warrior type. We desperately need Lb'er talent.
C) Alec Ogletree - if he is still on the board, he is a tremendous talent at LB'er but he is a tremendous risk. I believe he would do well away from the glamour of a big city. Throw him into GB and we're looking at another Clay Matthews.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

3rd round)
A) Phillip Thomas S - The depth of this safety class sees him available here. He is the best safety nobody is talking about. He took three int's back for TD's this year. Boy, I think we'd be in great shape at S if we could grab him and sign Goldson from the 49'ers. Delmas could be released, or rather signed away.
B) Ryan Swope WR- I was impressed with his speed and the role he could play in this offense, similar to Welker in NE and Jordy Nelson in GB.
C) Alex Okafor DE - Did I mention we need help at DE and LB. Solid selection here. I just like him.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

Three guys I'd stay away from in the first: sure they represent big potential but Ansah, Jordan and Vaccaro represent too much risk and too little value for me. Sure Ansah and Jordan have potential but at 5 I want more than potential.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

Finally, If I could come away from this draft with a combination of
005) Eric Fisher LT
036) Tank Carradine DE
065) Philip Thomas FS

and I could trade Backus for a Miami's third and draft Ryan Swope, I'd be happier than I deserve to be.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:22 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

One last note, Some late round selections
maybe with our comp pick many have pegged in the fourth we could grab Quanterius Smith DE 6'5" 265" lbs. NFL body and was injured. Sleeper with skills.
Jamie Collins OLB - This guy broad jumped 11' 7". Every year somebody jumps off the film with an eye-popping performance. This guy is my guy this year. In the past every guy I have picked for this reason has been drafted.
Some examples, Melvin Bullett S, Charles Tillman CB, Chris Greenwood CB, Greg Toler CB, Chris Spencer G. For Greenwood, his pro day vertical jump of 46 inches and running a 4.3 forty, for Spencer his violent hands and they were the biggest mitts in the draft. I can't remember every reason they appealed to me, anyway so far this year's winner for me is Jamie Collins.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

If I had to make NFL comparisons with my top three they would be
Eric Fisher - Jake Long
Tank Carradine - Jared Allen
Phillip Thomas - Ed Reed
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

I thought we could use a little activity in here. Hope this spurs some discussion. Give us some of your guys and why they are good fits here.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vaccarro was 4.63. Reid and Elam were in the low 4.5s.

Milliner definitely impressed me. I was full on DE or OT but Milliner is in play despite the torn labrum.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
If I had to make NFL comparisons with my top three they would be
Eric Fisher - Jake Long
Tank Carradine - Jared Allen
Phillip Thomas - Ed Reed
A little generous with the comps don't you think?

Also, I highly doubt Backus has any trade value. The guy has been a career lion, went to school in AA, if we try and trade him I'd give it a 90% chance he just retires.

My Draft is:

1: Milliner
2: Tank Carradine (or best DE available, starting to wonder is Moore falls this far with the amount of DE's in this first round already)
3: Phillip Thomas or Warmack

I'm operating under the assumption Backus plays another year. If we chose not to move Reiff inside last year, I don't know hwy they would this year.

Thus, I have zero interest in drafting a LT @5, making it our 2nd LT drafted round 1 in 2 years, making it bound that someone is on the bench this year.

I do think our best play however is to send a lot of smoke screens signaling our interest in LT. I think a move down with Arizona is in the cards if they legit think we are going to grab a LT.

Overall my focus of the draft is in 4 areas: CB, S, DE, OG.

I would not be shocked to see us move up into late first for a guy Mayhew wants whether it be Cooper, a slipping DE (mingo, moore, etc), or Vaccaro

Last edited by detroit4life : 02-27-2013 at 11:02 AM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

I don't share your opinion on tackle. Gosder is a free agent. Rieff can play either. Backus retires next year and we're one play away from having Fox and Reiff which I do not see as competitive. The last time we were competitive for more than a season was when we had Lomas here. I think we sign a corner and work with Green, Greenwood, Bentley and a free agent like Toler.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
I don't share your opinion on tackle. Gosder is a free agent. Rieff can play either. Backus retires next year and we're one play away from having Fox and Reiff which I do not see as competitive. The last time we were competitive for more than a season was when we had Lomas here. I think we sign a corner and work with Green, Greenwood, Bentley and a free agent like Toler.
I don't see Reiff moving to OG this year. If the coaches were open to that why didn't it happen last year? Assuming he is an upgrade over Peterman, which if he isn't, then he can't play OG.

Therefore, say backus cames back this year and we draft Fischer. Who plays where?

Fischer or Reiff end up on the bench in either scenario IMO. If you differ and believe Reiff would move inside I would love to hear the reasoning, because all of a sudden we have the same situation we had last year with the 3 OTs we had.

I don't want to draft a player in anticipation of Backus retiring in a year. If I'm not mistaken, that was the philosophy last year with taking Reiff....
Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Backus might not even be back this year, there is no chance of him returning or us welcoming him back in 2014.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Backus might not even be back this year, there is no chance of him returning or us welcoming him back in 2014.
I am only saying he comes back for this year. Not for 2014
Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

I'm just practically swallowing Fisher to the point that we have become one entity.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Ok so here's a hypothetical. Say Joeckel, Fischer and Milliner are off the board.

Who do you take? (trade down not an option)

I think my answer would be Dion Jordan. He'd assume the role of Bruce Irvin all year but you'd just have to hope he can develop into an every down back.

Last edited by detroit4life : 02-27-2013 at 05:47 PM.
detroit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Ok so here's a hypothetical. Say Joeckel, Fischer and Milliner are off the board.

Who do you take? (trade down not an option)

I think my answer would be Dion Jordan. He'd assume the role of Bruce Irvin all year but you'd just have to hope he can develop into an every down back.
I might go Ansah.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

Default Warmack, Jarvis or Dion Jordan

In that order maybe.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be looking at Ansah,Werner and maybe Warmack
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Noooo to Jarvis. Apparently a lot of teams have taken him off their board altogether.

I'd say Werner or Warmack in no particular order.

Quickly on Manti Te'o: Looks like he could fall into the second round with all the noise surrounding him. One of the things he's getting hammered on right now are his perceived lack of measurables, especially considering what he ran in the 40 versus what he said he'd run. If you compare him (height, weight, 40, bench, etc) to James Lauranaitis a few years ago, they're basically clones. I'd grab him in round 2.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote