Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where will Alex Smith be next season
Buffalo 5 4.63%
Cleveland 10 9.26%
Kansas City 47 43.52%
Jacksonville 6 5.56%
Arizona 25 23.15%
NY Jets 10 9.26%
Other: Who 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Name a good QB, not playing under his rookie copntract, that can be had for 10 mill a year. Again, not realistic.
Exactly. That's why this is a bad deal. Alex Smith is not a good qb.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why are they giving him a new contract? He still has one. Stupid.
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
The Chiefs franchise ladies and gentlemen. Irrelevant since the late 60s and for the foreseeable future!

Does any other teams fanbase want to adopt someone who is loyal to a fault? :(
Come to Giant land buddy. We'll welcome ya with open arms.
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Chiefs franchise ladies and gentlemen. Irrelevant since the late 60s and for the foreseeable future!

Loyal to a fault...but currently looking to jump ship.

Hmmmmm.

Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

We've been much worse for much longer, I have no sympathy. You aren't even close to Browns/Bills/Lions fan levels.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Exactly. That's why this is a bad deal. Alex Smith is not a good qb.
Getting a good QB is only easy on message boards. There's only 12-15 QBs on the planet widely viewed as desirable starters. None of those guys are falling into the Chiefs lap.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm probably a lot more critical of Alex Smith than I should be, but I just can't stand quarterbacks who can't make all the throws.

Limited quarterbacks hold back your offense.

And I stand by my statement that hes not a good qb. Being an average NFL qb is not a good qb in my eyes.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Getting a good QB is only easy on message boards. There's only 12-15 QBs on the planet widely viewed as desirable starters. None of those guys are falling into the Chiefs lap.
They have this thing called the NFL draft, don't know if you've ever heard of it or not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm probably a lot more critical of Alex Smith than I should be, but I just can't stand quarterbacks who can't make all the throws.

Limited quarterbacks hold back your offense.

And I stand by my statement that hes not a good qb. Being an average NFL qb is not a good qb in my eyes.
Philip Rivers has never been able to make all the throws, and people seemed to be pretty high on him before his freefall. And Alex has been above average for two years running, above average QBs net $10 million a year.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That much is just a rumor at this point, but all these Chiefs rumors lately have come true, so **** me right?
No thanks. After the last 30 hours of buttrape, it'd be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway, anyway.

Quote:

Join us. The Evil Empire is always recruiting.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Yet they were in a position to draft a qb who could potentially be one of those guys. And instead of taking the risk of finding out, they took the cowards way out and settled for mediocrity instead.

That's what bad organizations do.

You of all people should know how bad this is. Matt Ryan was far from a sure bet and your team gambled on him. The Dolphins pulled a KC and drafted a LT with the #1 overall pick.

Look at the results.

If you have no balls, you won't succeed in this league.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Loyal to a fault...but currently looking to jump ship.

Hmmmmm.

Well I have a 25 year limit on my loyalty. I will bring the same passionate loyalty to my next team, but only for 25 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
We've been much worse for much longer, I have no sympathy. You aren't even close to Browns/Bills/Lions fan levels.
Every team you've named (including your own) have tried to go out and improve their team at QB in the draft. The Chiefs haven't since 1983. I win, you lose. Or the opposite.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So... isn't that what the draft is for? They didn't like Geno, fine... what about all the other options? Someone will emerge as a viable starter from this draft.

I don't see this move solving anything and certainly won't improve the mood of Chiefs fans.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Philip Rivers has never been able to make all the throws, and people seemed to be pretty high on him before his freefall. And Alex has been above average for two years running, above average QBs net $10 million a year.
I'm not the biggest Phillip Rivers fan either and have been critical of his fanboys for quite some time.

But at the same time, I do like Rivers a hell of a lot more than Smith bc while he doesn't have a prototype arm, he still can throw it down the field and outside the hashes with a lot more consistency than Smith.

If you want a full breakdown of Alex Smith, just read over Greg Cossell's analysis of him. He's spot on.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Considering the deal Sanchez got last season...not really.
Just because something sucks less than something else doesn't mean it doesn't still suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Every team you've named (including your own) have tried to go out and improve their team at QB in the draft. The Chiefs haven't since 1983. I win, you lose. Or the opposite.
So? You never went 0-16, or had Matt Millen as a GM.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry, but I'mnot seeing any QB in the 2013 Draft that's a guarantee to be better than Alex Smith. The best QBs in the 2013 Draft are just as likely to bust as be better than him, in my mind. Alex Smith is not a Pro Bowl QB, but he's also a pretty talented guy. It's not out of the question he could have a few good season ahead of him.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
I'm not the biggest Phillip Rivers fan either and have been critical of his fanboys for quite some time.

But at the same time, I do like Rivers a hell of a lot more than Smith bc while he doesn't have a prototype arm, he still can throw it down the field and outside the hashes with a lot more consistency than Smith.

If you want a full breakdown of Alex Smith, just read over Greg Cossell's analysis of him. He's spot on.
Rivers' throws down the field are moon balls that his tall receivers can sometimes catch, that doesn't exactly make it a skill.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So? You never went 0-16, or had Matt Millen as a GM.
2-14 is so much better than 0-16. Your worst year got you Matt Stafford. Ours got us Tyson Jackson in 2009 and probably another DL or OT this year. Don't even try to compare the two situations.

Quote:
Sorry, but I'mnot seeing any QB in the 2013 Draft that's a guarantee to be better than Alex Smith. The best QBs in the 2013 Draft are just as likely to bust as be better than him, in my mind. Alex Smith is not a Pro Bowl QB, but he's also a pretty talented guy. It's not out of the question he could have a few good season ahead of him.
No draft pick is a guarantee, no one said that. What has been said is that the QBs at 1 or 34 likely all have more upside and COULD be better than Alex Smith. People keep saying that Reid is such a QB guru, that he's so good with QBs, maybe he can make Alex Smith good! Well, imagine what he can do with a younger guy with MORE upside. Why does his ability to develop QBs only come out when talking about Alex Smith and not any QB in this draft? It goes both ways.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Rivers' throws down the field are moon balls that his tall receivers can sometimes catch, that doesn't exactly make it a skill.
At his peak, Rivers was 10x the qb Alex Smith ever was. If we assume that both need talented teams around them to succeed, which seems to be the case, Rivers peak is lightyears ahead of Smith's peak.

Rivers has also shown an ability to make those around him better, something Smith has never shown.

Rivers is a better qb than Alex Smith.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No QB in any draft ever is guaranteed to be better than Alex Smith. Andrew Luck and RGIII weren't guarantees. To win in this league, you have to take chances. Alex Smith is what he is. He is somewhere between mediocre and above average. Will Geno, Wilson, Manual, Bray, Barkley, Glennon, or anyone else ever be great? I don't know. But they all have the potential to be while Alex Smith will never be. The Chiefs settled for 6 to 9 wins a season when they had a chance to be so much more by getting a QB with actual potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
At his peak, Rivers was 10x the qb Alex Smith ever was. If we assume that both need talented teams around them to succeed, which seems to be the case, Rivers peak is lightyears ahead of Smith's peak.

Rivers has also shown an ability to make those around him better, something Smith has never shown.

Rivers is a better qb than Alex Smith.
Rivers was helped A LOT by having Norv Turner around for several years and Norv maximizing his skills in a system that worked for Phil. Maybe he was better than Alex, I don't know about right now however.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The whole Andy Reid is a qb guru thing is such a farse.

He coached up Favre who was a HOFer, McNabb who was a very good qb who he took #2 overall.

Who else did he coach up?

Garcia was not good. He rode Westbrook to victory when he subbed in for McNabb. He was pretty much Alex Smith.

Feeley did the same. Bus driver at best.

Vick sucks. He had 8 good games and sucked after that.

Kolb sucks. Kolb wasn't even good in Philly. That's the most hilarious part. Everyone thinks he was good in Philly and sucked in Arizona and that is far from the truth. Kolb sucked in Philly. He had 2 good games. He sucked in the PS his whole career there, he sucked when he subbed in for McNabb vs the Ravens, and he sucked vs the Packers before getting hurt. He sucked. So let's stop that nonsense.

Foles didn't light the world on fire either.

So how is he a qb guru? None of his quarterbacks outside of McNabb were any good. Favre is more of a Holmgren success story. So how is he a qb guru?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well I have a 25 year limit on my loyalty. I will bring the same passionate loyalty to my next team, but only for 25 years!
Well, you can be a Bears fan. Lemme get you up to speed: Our defense is pretty decent. Our QB kind of sucks, but we mostly think he'd look pretty good with an O line, which we'll surely get now that we have a coach who cares about that. If he's not legit, we'll go draft one next year, so you'll like that. But anyway, he has arm talent that will give you wood. If someone mentions Jerry Angelo, Rex Grossman, or Ron Turner, you have to make the sign of the cross and throw salt over your shoulder to ward off evil spirits. You have to like Kyle Orton. You don't have to think he's great...you just have to like him. No one really knows why.

Unfortunately, our GM is part of the crew that ruined your current team. Our head coach looks like a sex offender, too...

The good news is that over the course of 25 years, we're pretty much guaranteed to be over .500.

Last edited by Monomach : 02-28-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The Giants will have a good QB for at least 5 more years...

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote