Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Milliner is the clear favourite right now unless he gets drafted before our pick,

Jarvis will need a doctor's thumbs up to get consideration and if he gets a thumbs up, he could go #1 overall to KC.

Mayhew isn't going to draft Ansah, it is just too much of a risk for a guy who isn't totally secure in his job.

Werner, according to Mayock is a 25-35 prospect and was getting over hyped by draftniks.

I absolutely love Warmack but to pay an OG top 5 money will put our pay scale totally out of wack, so I don't think we will draft him as high as #5.

I also love Jordan but I'm not sold that he fits a 4-3 scheme, he'll be drafted as an OLB in either scheme but seems to suit a 3-4 far better than a 4-3.

This drafted is loaded with top 10 LT's and depending on what Mayhew thinks of Backus, will decide if we go in that direction.

The decision will likely rest on 2 questions, 1) how much has Backus left in the tank? Because Mayhew will not expose Stafford to injury. Mayhew knows that as long as Stafford remains healthy, Detroit has a good shot as a playoff contender which means his job is secure and there is no way he will put that at risk.
2) Milliner looks like the guy if Backus can go effectively for one more year but will he be available when it is our pick?

I think if we go Milliner or Joeckel/Fisher, it will turnout to be an excellent draft for Detroit and really set up this team for the next decade. So, I'm a happy camper as long as Mayhew doesn't screw it up. In this deep draft, round 2 and 3 will also produce starters and we get to pick pretty high in those rounds.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Jarvis' medicals went about as bad as they possibly could've gone at the Combine. Based on what I've read, that's why teams have taken him off their boards altogether. Some are predicting a Bowers-esque fall through the draft...maybe even worse. Def don't see him going #1.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would take Fisher. Give me Fisher, Tank Carradine and Phillip Thomas in the first three rounds and this draft is a big success. I'd also grab Quanterius Smith DE and Jamie Collins OLB. In free agency I'd grab Toler, Goldson and Jennings and call it a day. that's two DE's, two safeties, a CB, an OLB and a WR. I'd have two more picks to throw bodies at other positions including K and P. If that left enough room I could sign SLH, LoJack and one of the LB'ers and cut a couple of safeties for more room. Maybe release Backus or trade him. That would go a long way towards making this team younger and I believe more competitive.
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.weasel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would take Fisher. Give me Fisher LT, Tank Carradine DE and Phillip Thomas S in the first three rounds and this draft is a big success. I'd also grab Quanterius Smith DE and Jamie Collins OLB. In free agency I'd grab Toler CB, Rinehart G, Goldson and Jennings and call it a day. That's two DE's, two safeties, a CB, an OLB, an OT and a WR. I'd have two more picks to throw bodies at other positions including K and P. If that left enough room I could sign SLH, LoJack and one of the LB'ers and cut a couple of safeties for more room. Maybe release Backus or trade him. That would go a long way towards making this team younger and I believe more competitive.

If I could talk a team into a trade for Backus it might give me room to take a flyer on a WR. That's what I'm talking about. Toler 26, Goldson 27, Rinehart 28, Jennings 30...Backus gone, Hanson gone team gets two years younger on average. Drop those extra safeties...

Last edited by weasel : 02-28-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
Apparently Jarvis' medicals went about as bad as they possibly could've gone at the Combine. Based on what I've read, that's why teams have taken him off their boards altogether. Some are predicting a Bowers-esque fall through the draft...maybe even worse. Def don't see him going #1.
This situation is still pretty inconclusive. Some teams seem to not be worried, some have red flagged him. Its a tough call that needs further evaluation. Too much of a risk for us at 5 though.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Funny, because I heard that his spinal condition may not be that bad, I guess we'll know on draft day which story is true.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Funny, because I heard that his spinal condition may not be that bad, I guess we'll know on draft day which story is true.
I heard that too. If he falls to the second I'd take him in a heart beat.

On Te'o, I don't want him. At all. I think he is going to cause a tebow like effect with the media for starters, and secondly, he is an undersized and slow LB. I see no room for him on most teams IMO and I think the only reason people are keeping him in the 1st round right now is because he is driving ratings right now and it is too early to throw him off the draft board.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Te'o is going to be Larry Foote's replacement for the Steelers...in the 3rd round.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
I heard that too. If he falls to the second I'd take him in a heart beat.

On Te'o, I don't want him. At all. I think he is going to cause a tebow like effect with the media for starters, and secondly, he is an undersized and slow LB. I see no room for him on most teams IMO and I think the only reason people are keeping him in the 1st round right now is because he is driving ratings right now and it is too early to throw him off the draft board.
I hear you, and that's been the common theme surrounding him. But from a character standpoint, this is a unique situation. It's not like he's a criminal or a substance abuser (that we know of). As for measurables, again, he's exactly the same as Lauranaitis at his combine. Almost to the inch, pound and hundreth of a second. I don't hear anyone in St Louis complaining about how he's been performing. Just my opinion though.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jarius Byrd and Michael Johnson tagged.

Abraham, Turner and Dunta Robinson cut. Changes the DE, CB and safety market some.

Lions signed Corey Hilliard to a 2 year deal. Solid backup, started 5 games for the Lions since 2010 and filled in Backus when he got hurt in the playoff game.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like they are content with letting Gosder walk. Wasn't my favorite player during his tenure here but he was good last year.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

Goodbye to Gosder. Sure hope they have the presence of mind to let Houston and Avril walk, too.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Avril I could see with the run defense.

But Houston is a good corner. Other than the Atl game he played really well last year and did well the year before. Replacing Houston with a rookie in Milliner we get worse in the short term IMO. Houston/Milliner combo would be awesome though.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

I really don't see them releasing either Houston or Avril, they already have to find another DE to replace KVB and even if they draft Milliner, Houston on the other side significantly improves the pass coverage.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are letting the wrong tackle go, sigh.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:02 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fisher in the 1st.......Fox/Sims/Nagy/Reiff/Hilliard???? What kinda plan is that? Hilliard isn't a guard and there has been too much 'Reiff as a guard' chatter. Backus and Fox would have to combine for 1 healthy season this year, provided Backus actually comes back since he hasn't announced his intentions yet.

Gosder had finally played slightly above average this past year. We have a vertical offense...we need time to throw and a pocket to step up into. Fisher, defense, Barrett Jones/Schwenke at the top of the 3rd, and then a RB at the end of the 4th.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

Default I really don't understand why anyone thinks Backus is done.

Backus situation is not one awaiting confirmation he is going to play. He has a contract and one assumes he is going to play it out unless the Lions cut him. There are many scenarios here: He plays his contract out, he re-signs for more years an extension if you will, he gets cut, he gets traded, they move him to guard or right tackle...
Actually drafting Fisher gives the Lions that much more flexibility. Backus is their best OL right now and he has been since the day they drafted him. Pairing him up with Backus on the left side would make sense. Rieff could play the right side with Hilliard as a back-up. Let Cherilous walk. Sims is a bargain and could play right guard as well.
Fisher, Backus, Raiola, Sims and Rieff. That is some serious beef. It locks down the tackle situation for years and the Lions can re-stock at guard and center at their leisure.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Articles and other quotes by Mayhew in January and early February stating that he didn't know if Backus or Hanson would be back.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/2...son-retirement is one such article.

I'm assuming that Backus would probably retire if he wasn't starting.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Articles and other quotes by Mayhew in January and early February stating that he didn't know if Backus or Hanson would be back.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/2...son-retirement is one such article.

I'm assuming that Backus would probably retire if he wasn't starting.
I think Lions do know whether Backus is coming back. If they were smart they wouldn't make that public knowledge up until after the draft. Withe 2 elite LT's projected to go top 10 we want other teams to think the opposite of the reality. All smoke screens, announcing Backus' plan gives away our play.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
I hear you, and that's been the common theme surrounding him. But from a character standpoint, this is a unique situation. It's not like he's a criminal or a substance abuser (that we know of). As for measurables, again, he's exactly the same as Lauranaitis at his combine. Almost to the inch, pound and hundreth of a second. I don't hear anyone in St Louis complaining about how he's been performing. Just my opinion though.

So here is my theory on Te'o. NFL teams believe he is ***. Thus, the new arrival of all of these combine questions related to sexuality.

Now let me make it clear I am not getting into the debate of right or wrong in terms of *** players in the NFL, but I personally don't think he will be drafted. I think GMs and coaches envision a nightmare with him in a locker room and now that he is under performing, he will not be worth it for NFL teams to take this risk on.

Just my opinion on this matter and him, but NFL teams are asking new questions for a reason, and I think there is a pretty good correlation between that and Te'o. It also shows that the GMs and Coaches do care about this matter.

My money is on him not getting drafted, and if he does, round 4 or later.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bold decree...I like it. I think Minter, Ogletree, and Brown are better fits for the Bears and Ravens in the middle. Linebackers normally fall, and I think his value probably is late 2nd-3rd round, so 4th would make sense. He's a 3-4 ILB with run coverage as his focus.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Triumphdog
Rookie

Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So here is my theory on Te'o. NFL teams believe he is ***. Thus, the new arrival of all of these combine questions related to sexuality.

Now let me make it clear I am not getting into the debate of right or wrong in terms of *** players in the NFL, but I personally don't think he will be drafted. I think GMs and coaches envision a nightmare with him in a locker room and now that he is under performing, he will not be worth it for NFL teams to take this risk on.

Just my opinion on this matter and him, but NFL teams are asking new questions for a reason, and I think there is a pretty good correlation between that and Te'o. It also shows that the GMs and Coaches do care about this matter.

I disagree buddy. Now we still have like 7 weeks before the draft, so alot can change. Right now I see him being drafted between 25 and 40. If he slips into round 2 I think somone would either take him, or trade out for someone else to.

Glad to me my man and hopeful draftee Milliner run well. Looked very nervous in drills and you could tell by his hands.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

T'eo will not be drafted by the Lions. I'll gladly meet you at the bar of your choice and but you a beer if the Lions do.

I'd take Fischer, Carradine and Thomas and call it a day. 3 people who can start for the Lions. I'd take that any draft.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
Triumphdog
Rookie

Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
T'eo will not be drafted by the Lions. I'll gladly meet you at the bar of your choice and but you a beer if the Lions do.

I'd take Fischer, Carradine and Thomas and call it a day. 3 people who can start for the Lions. I'd take that any draft.
Quote:

I agree Lions will NOT take him. I am saying somebody will though between 25-40. We need speed/pass rushing at OLB with Tulloch in the middle. And Te'o doesn't exactly provide that.

I wanna see Jarvis Jones' pro day and some sort of official medical clearance from some doctors as well. If all of a sudden he is cleared and blows up at his pro day...thats another option at 5. But he does scare me in a medical issues down the road type of way.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
weasel
Rookie

A pass rusher makes sense and an OLB like Jarvis Jones is a big payday at OLB but one who could bust us down the road. A draft of Jones, Carradine and Thomas appeals very much.