Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who would you choose and why?
Barry Sanders 7 8.97%
LT 51 65.38%
Dieon Sanders 14 17.95%
Jerry Rice 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I voted for LT and it was an easy vote here.

But did you watch Derrick Thomas from about 1989-1994 or so?
He played the position like LT did.
DT was unfuqingbelievable getting after the QBs.
It's just that he was in Kansas City and not a great team.
DT reminds me of Dwight Freeney honestly. Or Freeney reminds me of DT, whichever you prefer. Both were terrors off the edge with their speed.

DT wasn't great vs the run (waits for KC fans to kill me) either. I loved DT though.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I voted for LT and it was an easy vote here.

But did you watch Derrick Thomas from about 1989-1994 or so?
He played the position like LT did.
DT was unfuqingbelievable getting after the QBs.
It's just that he was in Kansas City and not a great team.
DT was a great player, but not on LTs level imo.

Taylor had zero regard for his body, and played that way on every snap. At the time there were QBs that openly admitted being scare to death of the man. The guy produced and played at a high level with every possible injury.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

I think I'd rather have Reggie White than L.T.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:36 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
I think I'd rather have Reggie White than L.T.

Color inside the lines, JT.

Reggie isn't on the list.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Color inside the lines, JT.

Reggie isn't on the list.
Somebody else brought up Derrick Thomas, so I brought up Reggie White.

White's run defense makes the difference for me. He impacted the game in all phases.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Somebody else brought up Derrick Thomas, so I brought up Reggie White.

White's run defense makes the difference for me. He impacted the game in all phases.
LT was so dominant vs the run Joe Gibbs invented a new offense. Bc LT destroyed the Iformation by himself.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Speaking of Reggie, if he played in today's game, he'd either be a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT. I doubt he'd play 4-3 LE.

He was a stud too. Played NT his rookie year. Reggie was a beast. LT was better, but Reggie was a monster.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
LT was so dominant vs the run Joe Gibbs invented a new offense. Bc LT destroyed the Iformation by himself.
I'm talking about at the point of attack. Taylor played with raw explosiveness.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barry Sanders

Cause he's my favorite

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 PM    (permalink
RagingColt
Rookie

RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RagingColt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rice. Unpopular pick in this regard but I want someone who's clutch in the playoffs and will represent my team with the utmost respect and integrity. By no means am I underscoring what LT did for the Giants or the way he changed the game. For longevity sake, i'll go with Jerry.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Before I vote...am I getting the player at the start of their prime, as a rookie, are we assuming they stay in their prime...what's going on with that?
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:25 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh my, it is becoming a LT rout in here.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 AM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted Deion Sanders, but just because he's my favorite player of all time. Mind you, I never saw any of these guys play when they were active, have only seen old clips and games. But me personally, I choose Deion. LT was probably better and more important at his position. But Deion was so damn awesome.

A Bonekrusher masterpiece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
JPP enjoys raping offensive tackles.
BigBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Shreckart
Veteran

Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shreckart is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not old enough to watch any of them, ever. Just curious why it's unanimous to take a pass-rushing LB over TDs or INTs (Rice, Barry, & Deion). A TD plays more of a role in the outcome of a game than a sack, second to a fumble/INT which Deion contributed to by having some of the greatest athleticism I've ever seen on a highlight tape. Hell, look at Leon, he still ran like a 6.4 40 backwards.

I understand LT was the main role in the complete evolution of a pass rushing linebacker/defense end, but if you only have a minimal impact on a game, why would you take that over a skill position? I guess this applies to current times, just wondering though.

To answer the question though, I'd take Deion. From only watching highlight tapes, I think it's incredible at how good Deion really was.
Shreckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreckart View Post
Not old enough to watch any of them, ever. Just curious why it's unanimous to take a pass-rushing LB over TDs or INTs (Rice, Barry, & Deion). A TD plays more of a role in the outcome of a game than a sack, second to a fumble/INT which Deion contributed to by having some of the greatest athleticism I've ever seen on a highlight tape. Hell, look at Leon, he still ran like a 6.4 40 backwards.

I understand LT was the main role in the complete evolution of a pass rushing linebacker/defense end, but if you only have a minimal impact on a game, why would you take that over a skill position? I guess this applies to current times, just wondering though.

To answer the question though, I'd take Deion. From only watching highlight tapes, I think it's incredible at how good Deion really was.
Go read up on LT if you can. He didn't have a minimal impact on the game.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with Deion Sanders just because having a cornerback who can lock down opposing receivers in man coverage is so valuable because it essentially makes the game a ten-on-ten affair.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
For those that say Jerry Rice, I'll say this: He clearly was a dominant force and the greatest WR of all time. But at the same time, we've seen players reach his level of excellence.
No we haven't. No WR is even within 50 of Jerry Rice's career TDs. If you think any WR is even close to Rice, you don't appreciate the sustained excellence he achieved. He wasn't just great. He was great year after year for a long time.

And all he did was play great. No drama. No distractions.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
No we haven't. No WR is even within 50 of Jerry Rice's career TDs. If you think any WR is even close to Rice, you don't appreciate the sustained excellence he achieved. He wasn't just great. He was great year after year for a long time.

That speaks to his longevity. I'm talking about peaks. At his peak, he was amazing of course, but we've seen other players peak at a similar level to Rice.

You can't say that for Deion or LT.

There really is no wrong answer here, I love Rice.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That speaks to his longevity. I'm talking about peaks. At his peak, he was amazing of course, but we've seen other players peak at a similar level to Rice.

You can't say that for Deion or LT.

There really is no wrong answer here, I love Rice.
You can't take longevity out of the equation...

Jerome Harrison had a 286 yard game vs KC. If you ignore the whole picture and just cherry pick a select sample, Jerome Harrison was a great RB.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
You can't take longevity out of the equation...

Jerome Harrison had a 286 yard game vs KC. If you ignore the whole picture and just cherry pick a select sample, Jerome Harrison was a great RB.
Yeah but you're comparing a bunch of 1st ballot HOFers...they all had longevity.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All four were 1st Ballot HOF. They all have longevity.

It just depends on what you value more on the field or what you think brings more value right away.

To me - Its Primetime.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LT
Deion
Rice
Barry

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Um...Megatron just came close to Rice's peak in an injury plagued season. Randy Moss in his prime was at least close to Rice's peak, if not better, Rice was amazing, but that's because his peak lasted so damn long, and even after it he was a very good receiver. Peak v Peak, Rice, Moss and Megatron is highly debateable.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Longevity matters. It just does. Who is the player most often called "The greatest player of all time"? Rice.

If you start selecting players based on their "peak", you'd end up including guys who won't ever even get a sniff at the HOF, but were really good for a year or two or three.

And the rules are too skewed to favor the passing game to compare Calvin Johnson to Rice.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think LT would have near the impact now as he did back then. He was so impactful because nobody had seen anything like him before. Now he'd just be another DeMarcus Ware, or Von Miller type. What position would suit him best? He's got the size of a 4-3 OLB, but would play best at 3-4 OLB. People who coached him said that they loved his ability as a pass rusher, but sometimes he would blitz when he wasn't supposed to. Most the times he would get there, but when he didn't it hurt the team. The last player I remember free-lancing like that was LaVar Arrington.

I voted for Rice, his size and ability translates well into todays NFL. One great WR can totally change an offense.

Deion is only one man on defense, and while he was great in coverage, he still gambled and didn't offer much in terms of run support. To me, it came down to Deion vs Rice, and I think having a great at WR would be more helpful than at CB

Barry was a great RB, but with how the league is now days I don't think many would take a RB to build around.
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote