Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Greatest Of All Time

ESPN has their schit running now, it's down to Jim Brown against Bo Jackson, but theirs is in terms of ATHLETE, as in "athletic".

I loved Bo, as you know by me posting hit 30for30 think, but in terms of ACHIEVEMENTS, Bo was not in that discussion of GOAT.
I do agree God could not have created a greater physical specimen for a RB than Bo Jackson was though.

But for accomplishments, GOAT, I narrow it down to this:

Michael Jordan
Bill Russell
Wayne Gretzky
Karch Kiraly
Jack Nicklaus
Roger Federer

I rule out Federer because he's been owned by Rafael Nadal, despite winning the most Slams ever.
Russell has a lot more titles than Jordan does... but he wasn't a one-man machine like MJ was.
Kiraly was the best ever in volleyball and he did it indoors for team USA winning 2 gold medals I think (1984 & 1988) and dominated the 2-man beach scene for a long time, even playing great well into his 40's, against the young stud 20's.
But alas, it's volleyball and nowhere near as popular as the big sports. Although... it was very popular during Karch's time and he was huge worldwide in that sport.

Soccer/Football, is huge worldwide, but who was the GOAT in that sport?
Pele? Maradonna? Is it Messi? I watch Messi against Christiano Ronaldo, and sometimes Ronaldo is clearly better out there. I can't put in a guy from that sport as a clearcut #1 guy.

Boxing nope.
I work in the golf business, but Jack Nicklaus can't be above these guys from real sports, not games.

My vote, without a doubt, goes to Wayne Gretzky, and I am not a big hockey fan at all.
He owns 61 NHL records including all the big ones regular seasons and playoffs.

He won 9 MVPs, even in perhaps the greatest era of NHL hockey ever.

Gretzky fans, check this classic vintage clip of the Great One when he was 16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqX2LkpaJI

Most points in a season: 215

In 1985-86, The Great One broke his own record of 212 points, set in '81-82, by scoring or assisting on 215 of Edmonton's 426 goals.
It was the fourth and final 200-point season of his career; he's the only player to get 200 in any season, and he did it 4 times.

Of the 13 seasons in which a player had 160 or more points in a season, 9 belong to Gretzky and the other 4 to Mario Lemieux, including a 199-point effort in 1988-89.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=384583

MOST GOALS: 894 (1,485 games)
Second: 801 -- Gordie Howe, 26 seasons, 1,767 games

MOST GOALS, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS: 1,016 -- 894 regular season and 122 playoff
Second: 869 Gordie Howe, 801 regular season and 68 playoff

MOST GOALS, ONE SEASON: 92 1981-82, 80-game schedule
Second: 87 Wayne Gretzky, 1983-84, 80-game schedule

MOST GOALS, ONE SEASON, INCLUDING PLAYOFFS: 100 1983-84, 87 goals in 74 regular season games and 13 goals in 19 playoff games.

MOST PLAYOFF GOALS, CAREER: 122
Second: 109 Mark Messier

MOST ASSISTS IN PLAYOFFS, CAREER: 260
Second: 186 Mark Messier
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote