Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who would you choose and why?
Barry Sanders 7 8.97%
LT 51 65.38%
Dieon Sanders 14 17.95%
Jerry Rice 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightytitan9 View Post
I don't think LT would have near the impact now as he did back then. He was so impactful because nobody had seen anything like him before. Now he'd just be another DeMarcus Ware, or Von Miller type. What position would suit him best? He's got the size of a 4-3 OLB, but would play best at 3-4 OLB. People who coached him said that they loved his ability as a pass rusher, but sometimes he would blitz when he wasn't supposed to. Most the times he would get there, but when he didn't it hurt the team. The last player I remember free-lancing like that was LaVar Arrington.

Nah, if you threw LT into today's league he'd still be the most explosive edge defender in the game. And that's a guy who played nearly 3 decades ago, I can't even imagine what he'd be with today's nutrition and training.

The man was a freak, won't see anything like him again.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If anything, with the way the game is played now, he'd be even more dominant. Can you imagine him coming off the edge in today's game where the offense is spread out and the OL is left out to dry?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
If anything, with the way the game is played now, he'd be even more dominant. Can you imagine him coming off the edge in today's game where the offense is spread out and the OL is left out to dry?
Honestly, I don't think we would see as many spread out offenses today if he were around... At least when teams were playing him. He would just tee off on QBs if you put him 1on1 with a tackle. I think you'd see more running to keep him off balance.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

What era are we playing in?

These days, you don't need a Jerry Rice to have a huge passing game. The Patriots have proven you don't even need to have a legitimate starting WR to do it.

In the 80s and 90s, Rice was a huge difference maker. These days, he'd be just another guy putting up huge numbers among all the pass-heavy attacks.
JordanTaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM    (permalink
fatso
Rookie

fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fatso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DAMN. I didn't read the thread and picked Rice. I thought LT was for Ladainain Tomlinson and I was laughing my ass off.

I'd switch my pick to LT.
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah LT is pretty easy for me. I can have a decent run game without Barry, I can make a good passing attack with a good QB and multiple WRs, Prime can only lock up 1 WR and only makes a difference on passing plays. LT changes my passing game and run game. Especially in today's passing offense. A direct affect on every play he is in.

If you threw in a great QB, it would be a little more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll let BBD handle this thread. The answer is obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barry Sandrs for me. He was the Lions and didnt have anyone with him.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 AM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber JordanTaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Barry Sandrs for me. He was the Lions and didnt have anyone with him.
See, this is what I mean...

It's funny how the Lions had a better record the year after he retired than the last year with him...
Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post

It's funny how the Lions had a better record the year after he retired than the last year with him...
Their defense jumped up 10 spots, from 24th to 14th. I'd love to see how you blame that one on Sanders.
Monomach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Their defense jumped up 10 spots, from 24th to 14th. I'd love to see how you blame that one on Sanders.
Don't tempt him. I know exactly how he'd do it. Something along the lines of "Less negative plays, more consistent first downs, better field position for the defense."

The thing with Jordan is that he is a decent enough arguer to come up with a counterpoint for everything you say. However, after awhile when you sum up all the arguments he's made to his support his far-out viewpoints it's really one hilarious impossible facade.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
And their offense jumped from 20th to 15th...
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He was getting too many yards at a time.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:36 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A few more:

Lions 1998 Rush Offense:
1,955 yds
12 TDs
4.4 ypc
94 First Downs

Lions 1999 Rush Offense:
1,245 yds
8 TDs
3.5 ypc
67 First Downs

Lions 1998 Rush Defense:
2,102 yds
15 TDs
4.3 ypc
113 First Downs
* 21 Team Defense Turnovers

Lions 1999 Rush Defense:
1,531 yds
12 TDs
3.9 ypc
87 First Downs
* 32 Team Defense Turnovers
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And their offense jumped from 20th to 15th...
The Lions 1999 offense 'jumped 5 spots' because they threw the ball a lot more (558 att), than '98 (489) when a rookie Charlie Batch was playing QB.

Teams that pass the ball will always have an advantage over predominantly running teams when it comes to Total Offense. Take last season as an example:

New Orleans and Detroit were #1 and #2 in passing, #2 and #3 in total offense.
Minnesota and Seattle were #2 and #3 in rushing, but #20 and #17 in total offense.

The top 5 passing teams finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th in total offense.
The top 5 rushing teams finished 5th, 11th, 17th, 20th and 24th in total offense.

Last edited by boknows34 : 03-03-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know that it will be rare to see another LT but if you had to choose right now who is close to him? My choice is Von Miller. To me he's this generation's LT. Though I know that there may never be an LT but Von is the closest thing right now Imo.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
The Lions 1999 offense 'jumped 5 spots' because they threw the ball a lot more (558 att), than '98 (489) when a rookie Charlie Batch was playing QB.

Teams that pass the ball will always have an advantage over predominantly running teams when it comes to Total Offense. Take last season as an example:

New Orleans and Detroit were #1 and #2 in passing, #2 and #3 in total offense.
Minnesota and Seattle were #2 and #3 in rushing, but #20 and #17 in total offense.

The top 5 passing teams finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th in total offense.
The top 5 rushing teams finished 5th, 11th, 17th, 20th and 24th in total offense.
That's correct.

And it's a lot easier to throw the ball more when you don't have the pressure of giving a running back enough carries just so he gets ample chances to break a big one or two.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 AM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

Typical Barry Sanders game log according to Taber:

0, -1, 2, 1, 0, 1, 2, -3, 1, 0, 0, 1, -3. 0, -1, 2, 0, -2, 1, 0, 0, 0, 80 yd TD.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 AM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Guru is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What was the Typical Barry Sanders OL performance like?

Last edited by Guru : 03-04-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Typical Barry Sanders game log according to Taber:

0, -1, 2, 1, 0, 1, 2, -3, 1, 0, 0, 1, -3. 0, -1, 2, 0, -2, 1, 0, 0, 0, 80 yd TD.
More like:

2, -1, 4, 0, 2, 1, 8, 4, 7, 2, 45, 3, 1, -3, 2, 2, 7, 3, 17, 1

20 carries, 107 yards. 5.35 yards/carry.

Arranged:

Median: 2
Mode: 2
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Guru
Rookie

You do realize his OL sucked balls right? The reason he danced is because there were no holes or the defender cut through the OL like a hott knife through butter. If he had ESmiths OL he'd have records that would never be touched.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
More like:

2, -1, 4, 0, 2, 1, 8, 4, 7, 2, 45, 3, 1, -3, 2, 2, 7, 3, 17, 1

20 carries, 107 yards. 5.35 yards/carry.

Arranged:

Median: 2
Mode: 2
Cute. But this is a hypothetical. I doubt Barry ever had 13 of 20 carries where he ran for 3 yards or less on those 13 carries.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
LT
Deion
Rice
Barry
It really comes down to how you value the differant positions. For me getting to the QB trumps a corner or a WR so i think you have the order right there.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Jesus Christ, not this **** again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:22 PM    (permalink
JordanTaber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
You do realize his OL sucked balls right? The reason he danced is because there were no holes or the defender cut through the OL like a hott knife through butter. If he had ESmiths OL he'd have records that would never be touched.
Um, no, it really didn't. That is a cliche of a cliche stated by the clueless.

Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown were two of the best at their position in the NFL. So was Jeff Hartings when they drafted him later on. Ray Roberts and Mike Compton were average-to-solid. The Lions stockpiled good blocking tight ends over the years as well, and Herman Moore was a great blocking WR.

The idea of him dancing because of defenders "cutting through the OL like a hot knife through butter" is laughable. Do you ever watch football? I mean, ever?

There has never been an offensive line in the NFL that not only couldn't get movement, but just let people blow into the backfield regularly. That's just utterly absurd.

It would be one thing to claim that they weren't good drive blockers and were regularly stalemated (which isn't true), but as soon as you start talking about Barry dancing around in the backfield "because the offensive line iz letting dem throughzzz," your credibility is finished.

Barry Sanders danced because that was his running style. He freelanced at running back, just like Junior Seau did at linebacker. As soon as he received the hand off, he stuttered within 2 steps. Every time.

And then you pull out the other ridiculous cliche - "if he had Emmitt's line." First of all, Emmitt's o-line was extremely overrated. Secondly, Emmitt's line was a straight-ahead, smash mouth unit. Barry Sanders was not a very strong between-the-tackles runner. If he had to pound it straight ahead, he would have been out of his element.