Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
Bears franchised Melton. All the speculation about him reuniting with marinelli will end now.
Enter now speculation about other Bears free agents :) My next mock snags Israel Idonije instead of Spencer at SDE and adds Nick Roach to play SLB while Wilber gets a year or two of Kiffin seasoning.

:) Sad Melton didn't hit the market but there was no way he wasn't getting tagged. Idonije is a tad old but he was an absolute boss from the strongside.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something just crossed my mind and I thought I would bounce it around the forum to get everyone's thoughts. I read an excerpt of Stephen Jones talking about adjusting contracts and he said that when they sign a player that restructuring is already built into the original language. Which is smart on their part, they don't have to renegotiate terms or deal with agents again its just adjust and move on. Hopefully in doing so the bonuses of all the restructures are staggered so that a single years cap isn't destroyed by money owed.

Also, something that I had forgotten with the new CBA, left over cap space can be rolled over into the next season. Not only does that present the opportunity to retool holes amongst the team but can also create savings to absorb some or all of the hit of accrued from releasing a larger contract. Ex Ratliff is owed apx 10 mil in guarenteed money through the duration of his contract. Lets add another 4 mil for a possible restructure for this year creating 14 mil of guarenteed money owed. After restructures and cuts for the 2013 season the team creates 17 mil in space, 10 mil goes toward the draft and cheap free agents and the remaining 7 gets put in the bank for next season. Ratliff under performs throughout the season and the team wants to wipe their hands of the former Probowler. Another 2 mil of money is off the books for the 2014 season leaving apx 12 mil which is a tough pill to swallow until you figure the 7 mil that was rolled over leaving only 5 mil that is owed. That number is much more manageable and won't have a major impact on what the team does elsewhere, especially if he is designated as a June 1st cut where the money can be prorated.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting idea although I'm not sure Ratliff's contract is all that bad in terms of breakaway.

This year we are looking at 5 million in base with 2 million in bonus. Most likely we'll cut that number to around vet min (base) so we'll be looking at roughly 4 million spread through 2017 (5 contract years or 0.8 million per year).

So the new number would be ~1 million base with 2.8 million in bonus.

2014: 5.5 million base with 2.8 million bonus (Total cost to cut 7.2 million).

So even if we cut him outright (pre-June 1st in 2014) it would cost 1.7 million more to cut him than to keep him.

2015: 7 million base with 2.8 million in bonuses (Total cost to cut 4.4 million)

Thus in 2015 we can have a clear break from Ratliff and save 2.6 million in the process. The front office seems resigned to keeping him this season and the next and by doing so open up cap space in 2013. Even if their plan backfires and Ratliff plays poorly enough to warrant releasing the cap charge for cutting him in 2014 is hardly crippling.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Interesting idea although I'm not sure Ratliff's contract is all that bad in terms of breakaway.

This year we are looking at 5 million in base with 2 million in bonus. Most likely we'll cut that number to around vet min (base) so we'll be looking at roughly 4 million spread through 2017 (5 contract years or 0.8 million per year).

So the new number would be ~1 million base with 2.8 million in bonus.

2014: 5.5 million base with 2.8 million bonus (Total cost to cut 7.2 million).

So even if we cut him outright (pre-June 1st in 2014) it would cost 1.7 million more to cut him than to keep him.

2015: 7 million base with 2.8 million in bonuses (Total cost to cut 4.4 million)

Thus in 2015 we can have a clear break from Ratliff and save 2.6 million in the process. The front office seems resigned to keeping him this season and the next and by doing so open up cap space in 2013. Even if their plan backfires and Ratliff plays poorly enough to warrant releasing the cap charge for cutting him in 2014 is hardly crippling.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya I was just using him as an example because he is the largest contract we might try to move but it would be just as easy to do a number of other things with the $
Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Costa resigned for another two years

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000146381/
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Costa resigned for another two years

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000146381/
Perfectly reasonable. Smart move considering he'll be competition at C with Cook, Killer K, and possibly Bernie.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't help but notice that the the niners have a million picks this year. I hate to get rid of Miles Austin, but I wonder what he would bring in a trade. Seems like they could use him.

Any thoughts?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I can't help but notice that the the niners have a million picks this year. I hate to get rid of Miles Austin, but I wonder what he would bring in a trade. Seems like they could use him.

Any thoughts?
i think a more logical trade would be them using either the 31st pick or 34th they have combined with another pick probably a third to move up and draft datone jones. besides they drafted aj jenkins in the first round last year and crabtree had a breakthrough season. they don't need miles and his inflated contract
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Miles restructured his contact. It would cripple us to trade him and take the entire hit this year.

His contract would be sexy for another team given that he has a ton of bonus money and much less salary. If we were dealing him it would of came BEFORE the restructure.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sensy just cut.

Safety just because a big need in the draft.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Sensy just cut.

I am actually excited that we will finally address the position through the draft. Hopefully they just don't slap Johnson back there and say play, anyone think that Scandrick might be a safety valve option ?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sensy just cut.

Expect a mid-range FA to be signed as well. Garrett won't go into the draft with a hole at FS. This makes me all sorts of excited for the defense this year. We have our hitters in Church and Johnson now we need our roaming centerfielder.

I might target Glover Quin as my #1 offseason acquisition now. Gives me the motivation I've been searching for to finish my next mock offseason! :D
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Expect a mid-range FA to be signed as well. Garrett won't go into the draft with a hole at FS. This makes me all sorts of excited for the defense this year. We have our hitters in Church and Johnson now we need our roaming centerfielder.

I might target Glover Quin as my #1 offseason acquisition now. Gives me the motivation I've been searching for to finish my next mock offseason! :D
Quin is going to be pursuited in free agency and might price himself out of our piggy bank. Maybe someone like Jim Leonard? Certainly someone who is going to be a cheap rental if the team didn't even want to pay 3 mil for Sensy.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Safety just became a serious option in the 1st, Kenny Vaccaro come on down!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's all starting to come together. This was the right move. Looking at Goldson depending on cost or Cyprien @ 18
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Quin is going to be pursuited in free agency and might price himself out of our piggy bank. Maybe someone like Jim Leonard? Certainly someone who is going to be a cheap rental if the team didn't even want to pay 3 mil for Sensy.
Two schools of thought. Either A) we find a guy that we feel long-term matches our scheme and will be the starter for the foreseeable future OR B) sign a stop-gap with system familiarity to fill in until our draftee is ready.

Option A) Means opening the wallet and aiming for a Quin, Delmas, or Moore type of player but it means we avoid targeting a safety high. Long-term salary wise S isn't among the highest paid positions so either way is a safe bet.

Option B) Means signing a Barber (ideal) or Leonard and spending a high choice.

Option C) Middle ground? Spending money on a reclamation project or high risk while doubling down with a draft pick. I imagine Kenny Phillip will get some looks in this department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Well Safety just became a serious option in the 1st, Kenny Vaccaro come on down!
Without a doubt. I would love the pick. Granted if he's not available I'm not touching another safety in the first round.

Last edited by Trogdor : 03-04-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

I really like Vaccaro but I would be just as happy with Xavier Rhodes, Cyprien, or Shamarko Thomas.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

And now Spencer got the tag, taking up a large chunk of the cap space we had left. But atleast we got him for one more year.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cyprien is getting more and more hype.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cyprien is getting more and more hype.
Worth it IMO. Better angles than Vacarro. Better tackler. Great range.

Only thing I would give Vacarro an edge in is versatility because he spent so much time in the slot.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:12 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
And now Spencer got the tag, taking up a large chunk of the cap space we had left. But atleast we got him for one more year.
I guess his agent said they're working out a long term deal, which I disagree with.

I would just franchise him, see if he even transitions well into a 4-3, leave some flexibility for the team in future years. A long term deal does nothing for the Cowboys at this point.

He's as expensive as he'll ever be and getting ready to change positions. I guess that eliminates any hope I had of Dashon Goldson.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea, I mean at least it was a huge hole. I kinda to hold onto some breathing room but at least he's an impact player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Yea, I mean at least it was a huge hole. I kinda to hold onto some breathing room but at least he's an impact player.
A bit on the small side for SDE.. I hope he's an impact player next year.

This DL is going to be similar to the former Colts line w Freeney & Mathis as smaller DE's that excel rushing the passer but are a bit of a liability against the run.

Luckily this team has better LB's than those teams had so hopefully it works out.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Yeah I have no problem with the tag on Spencer at all. Broaddus brought up a good point on Talkin' Cowboys. He's transitioning to a new position right now, and if does completely flop at DE, then we are not tied to him next year. Rowan Kavner also pointed out that Spencer is still getting paid less than what a Franchised DE would get too, so we got a little break there too.

The next move is to extend Romo. This almost has to get done, and hopefully Romo will be friendly with it. The ball is completely in Romo's court right now, and he has all the leverage. If we get him extended, hopefully before free agency starts, we will clear room for a free agent or two.

Then we can use our post June 1 cuts to pay the draft class.
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote