Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see why Kruger has been rumored to be getting a nice contract. He's had 20 sacks over the last two years in the regular season and playoffs. I don't know if I would want him at that much money because the only role he's been effective in is as a situational pass-rusher but it is what it is. Guys who rush the passer and produce get paid.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowboys to tag Anthony Spencer. Damn.
https://twitter.com/JordanWoy/status/308649790948909056

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Cowboys to tag Anthony Spencer. Damn.
https://twitter.com/JordanWoy/status/308649790948909056
Wow, that's a huge shocker to me. That is pretty much all our FA spending money right there so we may as well consider that a wrap. That said we didn't have any holes outside of the LE spot. Safety still sucks and we need a SLB to play with Lee and Carter, among the upgrade at RG, but I can't argue with this because I wanted to see him play LE for years.

He's an absolute perfect fit, and he has to play at a high level to get big dollars next year so we should get max effort. Now maybe we can focus on Cooper in the draft and Matt Elam maybe in the 2nd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Is it just me or are some of the numbers being floated out there for free agents just really off this year?

$9 mil/year for Andre Smith and Paul Kruger.
$14 mil/year for Greg Jennings
$11 mil/year for Jake Long
Mario Williams-level money for Cliff Avril

Are these guys just taking an artificially high negotiating position? Even in that context it seems absurd. None of these players are elite, and many have serious questions about health, work ethic, or true talent level.
Avril isn't getting Mario Williams money. And nobody ever said he would. He said he would like to get that kind of money. Well, yeah. Who wouldn't want $50 million guaranteed? But nobody ever said he deserves it or would get anywhere close to that.

Two years ago Doug Free got $8 million so Andre Smith and Jake long could easily get $10 million-plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin. †One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one. †Awesome. †Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks.†
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is it just me or are some of the numbers being floated out there for free agents just really off this year?

$9 mil/year for Andre Smith and Paul Kruger.
$14 mil/year for Greg Jennings
$11 mil/year for Jake Long
Mario Williams-level money for Cliff Avril

Are these guys just taking an artificially high negotiating position? Even in that context it seems absurd. None of these players are elite, and many have serious questions about health, work ethic, or true talent level.
One of those guys is elite. Andre Smith is the best right tackle in the NFL.

His weight and work ethic questions have been answered, but now there's the gun in an airport thing...

Of course, I still don't think the best RT is really worth 9 mil a year unless his QB is left-handed...
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Avril isn't getting Mario Williams money. And nobody ever said he would. He said he would like to get that kind of money. Well, yeah. Who wouldn't want $50 million guaranteed? But nobody ever said he deserves it or would get anywhere close to that.

Two years ago Doug Free got $8 million so Andre Smith and Jake long could easily get $10 million-plus.
Doug Free was a left tackle coming off of a really good year, though. He didn't turn into a terrible right tackle until later, lol.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andre Smith is not the best right tackle in the NFL.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
Nobody knows about it, but I have to agree with pro football focus on this one...he really is. Over the past two seasons, his pass protection has been really damned good and his run blocking has been dominant.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andre Smith has become a very good lineman but I wouldn't rank him above Vollmer or Anthony Davis. There a a few other guys we could put in there as well. I wouldn't say there is a clear cut best guy who you can distinctly say is the "best right tackle in the NFL". I think it all boils down to who you are willing to go to bat for because there is a group of 5 or 6 players you could argue are Pro Bowl caliber right tackles, Smith is definitely a part of that group though.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
Yes he is.

Quote:
Nobody knows about it, but I have to agree with pro football focus on this one...he really is. Over the past two seasons, his pass protection has been really damned good and his run blocking has been dominant.
His pass pro has graded higher than run blocking the last 2 seasons. Which I partially attribute to his playing with Mike McGlynn and a rookie RG most of the time. And having a TE who can't block.

He had 2 bad games in 2012. And blanked his guys the rest.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have you ever heard of Vollmer and Davis ?

edit : Don Vito beat me to it.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anthony Davis went to Rutgers and plays right tackle sooooo all other logic loses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post

Doug Free, at that time, was seen as a very good young (26 or 27) LEFT tackle that the Cowboys did a good job developing. He was a proven player with no serious injury history. It looks bad in hindsight but at the time I remember the Bucs and Cowboys were in a bidding war for him. Andre Smith only became "elite" recently after FAILING at LT. He plays RT, which is hardly a premium position. So he should not get that kind of consideration. Long is older now than Free was when he got the contract, he's ended two seasons on IR, and hasn't played all that well. The idea of either player getting $10+ million per year is crazy to me.

Quote:
One of those guys is elite. Andre Smith is the best right tackle in the NFL.

His weight and work ethic questions have been answered, but now there's the gun in an airport thing...

Of course, I still don't think the best RT is really worth 9 mil a year unless his QB is left-handed...
You pretty much answered the way I would have. Elite RT just means getting paid like a mid-tier starting LT. Eric Winston (last year's elite RT free agent) signed for 4 years, $22 million, with $8.4 guaranteed. Why the hell should Smith get anywhere near $9 or $10 million per year at the same position?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Oher or David Stewart anyone?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry bros, Eric Winston is the best RT in the NFL.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See? Stewart, Davis, Oher, Winston, Vollmer. You can make a case for any of them or for Smith. I doubt any of them ever make anything approaching $9 million a year in their career.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Doug Free, at that time, was seen as a very good young (26 or 27) LEFT tackle that the Cowboys did a good job developing. He was a proven player with no serious injury history. It looks bad in hindsight but at the time I remember the Bucs and Cowboys were in a bidding war for him. Andre Smith only became "elite" recently after FAILING at LT. He plays RT, which is hardly a premium position. So he should not get that kind of consideration. Long is older now than Free was when he got the contract, he's ended two seasons on IR, and hasn't played all that well. The idea of either player getting $10+ million per year is crazy to me.
Please elaborate.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 03-04-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Andre Smith has become a very good lineman but I wouldn't rank him above Vollmer or Anthony Davis. There a a few other guys we could put in there as well. I wouldn't say there is a clear cut best guy who you can distinctly say is the "best right tackle in the NFL". I think it all boils down to who you are willing to go to bat for because there is a group of 5 or 6 players you could argue are Pro Bowl caliber right tackles, Smith is definitely a part of that group though.
PFF says:
Andre Smith +26.9
Gosder Cherilus +23.5
Anthony Davis +22.4
Sebastian Vollmer +21.5

Doesn't seem too disagreeable to me.

Best linemen at each position:
LT Joe Staley +40.4
LG Evan mathis +51.3
C John Sullivan +27.3
RG Marshall Yanda +24.2
RT Andre Smith +26.9

49ers had a top 3 lineman at every position except center, and he was top 10. Ridiculous.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

did cherilus turn the corner that hard?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Please elaborate.
On what? He got injured and then moved to RT. He was drafted to play LT and he doesn't play LT. What is there to elaborate on?

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Quote:
PFF says:
Andre Smith +26.9
Gosder Cherilus +23.5
Anthony Davis +22.4
Sebastian Vollmer +21.5

Doesn't seem too disagreeable to me.

Best linemen at each position:
LT Joe Staley +40.4
LG Evan mathis +51.3
C John Sullivan +27.3
RG Marshall Yanda +24.2
RT Andre Smith +26.9

49ers had a top 3 lineman at every position except center, and he was top 10. Ridiculous.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-lines/4/

Quote:
Stud: If not for a spell where injury took him off the field and then slowed him down while on it, itís fair to say Sebastian Vollmer (+21.5) would have been our top ranked right tackle. He was that good.
Yeah it's disagreeable.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Quote:
On what? He got injured and then moved to RT. He was drafted to play LT and he doesn't play LT. What is there to elaborate on?
You should re-read what you wrote. Then probably go away.
Andre was never drafted to play LT.
He was drafted to play RT.
He plays RT.

The only part you got right was he got hurt.
Now go away.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

They're all awesome. But not as awesome as Jon Martin...

I kid, I kid.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
did cherilus turn the corner that hard?
Just this last season, yeah.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey awesome, the Chiefs OL was ranked 12th, and that was with a few injuries. Maybe top 10 next year!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote