Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina

I haven't seen much of him, but from what I have seen why isn't this guy ranked higher? He's 6-7, 270 moves well, was productive. Taylor seems like a guy that would generate some talk.

For those who have seen him a lot, what is the scouting report?
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kinda reminds me of Jake Bequette or something. Tall, some bulk, has tools, needs to improve awareness and develop additional moves, looks like he's playing on skates sometimes.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He clearly is over shadowed by the more talented players on his team. Last year with was Ingram, this year it is Clowney. His size is outstanding, but yes he lacks some strength in run defense because of it.

Does not really have great pass rush moves, but is long, gets in the way of the quarterback and can cover the field. I think he could be a very good possible 4/3 OLB instead of a down DE.

Needs some coaching but is worth a 2nd round pick and anything later than that he is a steal.

With a comparison Michael Johnson comes to mind, he dropped in the draft because people thought he was soft also. But with that athletic long frame, he has done some damage in the NFL and had his best season last year with 11 sacks.

So that kind of length can be very effective and no reason why Taylor cannot be effective in the NFL.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's nothing special about him. A solid collegiate player, but that was it. Yes, I guess the size is a big advantage, but we haven't really seen it been utilized. He was never a player a team could exploit, but not particularly a playmaker either. I think he can be a solid depth guy, but I'd be hesitant to draft him with the intentions of him being a starter. He's someone I'd take around the fifth round. There's a chance that with the right coaching/work ethic he could really break out, but despite the talent and coaching that surrounded him at SC he was never able to do that, so my hopes aren't high.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 AM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael

I'd take Taylor before Hunt or Ansah. He is every bit as impressive an athlete, a couple years younger, and has more football experience.
raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

Location: TJ Warren is a better and more productive player than Jabari Parker
SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's one of the more underrated players in the draft. A lot of his success gets credited due to his teammates drawing protection away from him but you still have to produce and it's not like his combine numbers are bad.

Is it Peppers/Rucker = Clowney/Taylor or Mario/Lawson = Clowney/Taylor is the big question
SchizophrenicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm eh on Taylor, he doesn't appear to have the natural bend to be a consistent pass rusher and has difficulty lowering his pad level to generate leverage. He has good straight line speed but is a long strider who won't be able to adjust in space if asked to drop into coverage.

I think he would be best served in a situational pass rush role from the base end side as he continues to develop. He certainly has intriguing athleticism and a frame to add weight. A patient 3-4 team might be able to convert him to an attacking 5-tech if he can continue to bulk up and add strength. In either scheme he should be an asset knocking down passes at the LOS.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
There's nothing special about him. A solid collegiate player, but that was it. Yes, I guess the size is a big advantage, but we haven't really seen it been utilized. He was never a player a team could exploit, but not particularly a playmaker either. I think he can be a solid depth guy, but I'd be hesitant to draft him with the intentions of him being a starter. He's someone I'd take around the fifth round. There's a chance that with the right coaching/work ethic he could really break out, but despite the talent and coaching that surrounded him at SC he was never able to do that, so my hopes aren't high.
Id have to agree with most of this. I do think he can offer a little more than a depth player. I think he could be a solid starter but I too have seen him play a lot and while he was never a huge x-factor or playmaker. The biggest eyebrow raiser is did he lack production? (given his circumstances with guys he lined up next to) Best example of this that I can think of recently is Ray Edwards. While in Minny he seemed solid, usually had around 8 sacks each season and didnt seem to hinder the team at all. He comes to Atlanta which obviously didnt have the high caliber D-Line that Minny had and he was so bad he eneded up getting cut before the season even ended.

So that is the biggest factor IMO teams will have to evaluate. Can he provide pressure without relying on every other lineman getting the double and can he do it consistently? Id take a shot at him in the 3rd round though.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 AM    (permalink
duesouth
Rookie

duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duesouth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with Witten4HOF in that he plays too high and with his height that's a concern. But he has enjoyed a good post season to date - I thought he was very impressive at the Shrine Game and his Combine numbers were very good - could see him cracking the top 100.
duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems like everyone has been waiting for him to elevate his game for 3 years now. He has talent, maybe someone will get the best out of him in the NFL. I could see that happening but on the flipside I could also see him doing nothing. I think he will do well in the pros if I had to bet on it.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:14 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael

He seems like a pretty bright guy to go along with his physical skills. He may have been a little butt hurt with all the attention being heaped on Clowney last season. Steal in the third round. People are talking about Ansah in the top five, with far less on field production and no better Combine numbers.

At 6-7, with 36+" arms, he just have to stand there and wave those 11" hands around to be effective.

Last edited by raphael : 03-04-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
SilentJaguar
Rookie

SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.SilentJaguar could make a wolverine purr.

Comes off as a stiff to me. After watching him for 3 years and never seeing him perform like the post-season numbers say he could perform with the kind of talent that Spurrier recruited there, I don't see it in him. Career back-up to me. 5th-6th round is around when I'd give him a look. Any time before that and I'd jsut feel like I'd wasted a pick that could been used on a better player.
SilentJaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Amazingly, this cat lead all DEs in the 3 cone, was second in the shuttle, third in the vertical and was first in the broad jump. How come the TV heads aren't talking about him more?
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
Amazingly, this cat lead all DEs in the 3 cone, was second in the shuttle, third in the vertical and was first in the broad jump. How come the TV heads aren't talking about him more?
Because it just doesn't show on tape. For all that athleticism, he can't seem to make much use of it. I'm a Gamecock fan and have seen every game he's played in, and there's just nothing about him that would make me want to take him with any sort of early pick. If he doesn't get the edge with his first step, far too often he gets engaged by his blocker and that's it. He isn't able to maneuver around him, nor is he able to bull-rush or throw him aside. He necessarily doesn't get pushed around, and yes every so often he does find himself beating his guy, but that's far too irregular for my liking.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
Because it just doesn't show on tape. For all that athleticism, he can't seem to make much use of it. I'm a Gamecock fan and have seen every game he's played in, and there's just nothing about him that would make me want to take him with any sort of early pick. If he doesn't get the edge with his first step, far too often he gets engaged by his blocker and that's it. He isn't able to maneuver around him, nor is he able to bull-rush or throw him aside. He necessarily doesn't get pushed around, and yes every so often he does find himself beating his guy, but that's far too irregular for my liking.
You can watch Ansah or Hunt and say all the same things. Or worse. Taylor is every bit as impressive as an athlete, has better career college production, and is a couple of years younger than those two. Media attention is random, and worthless, really.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 AM    (permalink
nofalcons10
Veteran

nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nofalcons10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It probably won't happen but Devin Taylor could potentially be a better 3-4 outside linebacker than Melvin ingram. I don't know why more people arent projecting him there after his shrine game performance and the NFL combine.

he's taller, faster, longer and more agile than Aldon Smith and could be a first-round caliber talent for the right 3-4 team like San Fransisco.

Compare Taylor's workout #'s to Aldon Smith's and you'll be pretty impressed. His production wasn't lacking either as he was mainly asked to be a run stopper and finished 2nd in S.C. history with 35 tackles for loss. I have him ranked as the top 3-4 weakside linebacker in the draft but he'll likely fall to the second round.
nofalcons10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Kase1
Rookie

Kase1 is a cocksman.Kase1 is a cocksman.Kase1 is a cocksman.

I feel like our DL coach on the NY Giants could mold him into a dominant DE/DT hybrid, but he would have to bulk up a touch and hopefully not lose too much athleticism in the process

NY GIANTS 4X SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!
Kase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase1 View Post
I feel like our DL coach on the NY Giants could mold him into a dominant DE/DT hybrid, but he would have to bulk up a touch and hopefully not lose too much athleticism in the process
Ah, nice fit.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Taylor doesn't have to be a big sack guy to be effective in the league. He has the size and agility to contain or disrupt the new age mobile passers. The speed and reach to chase them down outside the pocket. I really think he is the defensive prototype to answer the evolving offensive schemes around the league.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Wasn't Chandler Jones the big Combine phenom last year? Taylor is the same weight, a couple of inches taller, longer arms, bigger hands, and beat Jones in every single Combine event they both entered.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Last edited by raphael : 03-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Wasn't Chandler Jones the big Combine phenom last year? Taylor is the same weight, a couple of inches taller, longer arms, bigger hands, and beat Jones in every single Combine event they both entered.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, you're thinking of Chandler Jones.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote