Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Gotcha. It's frustrating how if you don't build avenues straight away you can't upgrade to them. Pretty much has screwed over my city. Can't really fix it without completely destroying expensive buildings.
Remind me to stay away from Forenciland when deciding on a future home purchase. Sheesh. No avenues? No thank you.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I refuse to buy any Origin game at this point.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OMG this thing is ******* stupid. I started a city and spent awhile on it. Then I go to log back in and work on it some more, and I figure out how to change servers (it had me on Europe 1 by default - wtf?) and now my city isn't on this new server. **** you, EA. **** your stupid ass.

Why do you have to exit the entire ******* game to switch servers? Wow.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh great. Try to play on NA1 and it starts me on the tutorial again. Except...the tutorial never really starts and I'm just kind of stuck there. WTF kind of programming is this ****? Wow!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

OK! Finally get into a server (Euro West 2!) and everytime I try to claim a city, "Unable to claim city at this time." **** you, you piece of ****.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, I'm sorry to hear you're having a trouble with it. I haven't had any issues all day playing it.

Love this game so much.

AND SCREW YOU VIDAE! My city is awesome! JERK.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Your city sounds like a death trap Forenci.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Your city sounds like a death trap Forenci.
It's still better than any city in Australia.

MY CITY IS AWESOME!

It is run purely on wind power. My industries are all ways away from my residential/commercial area too to avoid pollutants.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's still better than any city in Australia.

MY CITY IS AWESOME!

It is run purely on wind power. My industries are all ways away from my residential/commercial area too to avoid pollutants.
We both know Australian cities are awesome.

Should I buy SimCity? I used to love the **** out of it back in the day.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
We both know Australian cities are awesome.

Should I buy SimCity? I used to love the **** out of it back in the day.
Hardly.

I mean, is it out in Australia? Serious question. Haha. I'm not sure.

It's both a similar and different game than the original Sim City games I personally like it more. It's much more reliant upon managing your cities needs. Plus specializations are fun. It also relies more on your regions and working with them.

Look up some youtube videos on it. It will give you a pretty good idea whether you like it or not.

Personally I feel like all the praise for the game has been very good, it's just that everyone is super focused on the fact that its Origin and always online. I can understand those complaints for sure and they really messed up not allowing you to just do a purely single player city but I love the interactivity and relying on fellow region cities too.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I accidentally signed up for Hickory Mills on one server. it's really tricky getting the road up the mountain and then it takes awhile to build up the capital to build mines.

My first attempt ended poorly. I filled out the entire map and I simply could not build anymore. Ended up with a ****-ton of homeless people and I gave up.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 AM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont think i could ever buy anything associated with origin, not with its track record so far
TitansCJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I accidentally signed up for Hickory Mills on one server. it's really tricky getting the road up the mountain and then it takes awhile to build up the capital to build mines.

My first attempt ended poorly. I filled out the entire map and I simply could not build anymore. Ended up with a ****-ton of homeless people and I gave up.
Yeah, **** mountains. It's so hard to deal with them for me right now. Part of the big difference in this game is managing your space much better than was done in other Sim City games. It was very easy in Sim City 4 and other Sim City's to just lay stuff down wherever and it would work out.

You really have to plan your city and how intersections impact traffic. One thing that you will find as you progress is traffic can completely destroy your city. It will get fire trucks/ambulances/etc. stuck and thus your city will suffer because of it. I go mass transit right after my clinic (which is the first building I get after the town hall).

Part of the fun is designing a cool city using the streets.

By the way, add me on Origin if you'd like. My name is: Forenci

I added Trogdor. We need to get a mini-SWDC region going.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Hardly.

I mean, is it out in Australia? Serious question. Haha. I'm not sure.

It's both a similar and different game than the original Sim City games I personally like it more. It's much more reliant upon managing your cities needs. Plus specializations are fun. It also relies more on your regions and working with them.

Look up some youtube videos on it. It will give you a pretty good idea whether you like it or not.

Personally I feel like all the praise for the game has been very good, it's just that everyone is super focused on the fact that its Origin and always online. I can understand those complaints for sure and they really messed up not allowing you to just do a purely single player city but I love the interactivity and relying on fellow region cities too.
I never even considered whether it was out here, just assumed that because it's a PC game it would be. It goes live here in about 7 hours! I'll have to think about it. If they try and rip-off Australians and charge more than $60 I won't get it.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah, check it out Caddy. I know all the Origin/DRM/always online stuff turns a lot of people off but if you can get past that it is an amazing game.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thinking about getting Simy City now also but I don't know if I'd really play it all that much after a few weeks. I do absolutely love that game though. Civ and Sim City took hours upon hours away from my life.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Yeah, **** mountains. It's so hard to deal with them for me right now. Part of the big difference in this game is managing your space much better than was done in other Sim City games. It was very easy in Sim City 4 and other Sim City's to just lay stuff down wherever and it would work out.

You really have to plan your city and how intersections impact traffic. One thing that you will find as you progress is traffic can completely destroy your city. It will get fire trucks/ambulances/etc. stuck and thus your city will suffer because of it. I go mass transit right after my clinic (which is the first building I get after the town hall).

Part of the fun is designing a cool city using the streets.

By the way, add me on Origin if you'd like. My name is: Forenci

I added Trogdor. We need to get a mini-SWDC region going.
Yeah, it seems like you definitely have to specialize in something that will help the region and make sense for the plot you have. I've gotten a lot smarter since my first playthrough. I check all of the underground maps before I do anything.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, it seems like you definitely have to specialize in something that will help the region and make sense for the plot you have. I've gotten a lot smarter since my first playthrough. I check all of the underground maps before I do anything.
And the wind! My first playthrough was not fun when all my industry was blowing pollution all over my residents. Getting a much better knack for traffic now. Mass transit and splitting your local population away from your tourist population (if you are culture or gambling) almost eliminates traffic.

Game is waaay too addicting.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
And the wind! My first playthrough was not fun when all my industry was blowing pollution all over my residents. Getting a much better knack for traffic now. Mass transit and splitting your local population away from your tourist population (if you are culture or gambling) almost eliminates traffic.

You guys are making me want to buy this, but I have no free time :(

Maybe in a few months.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

Haha. I'd watched a Lets Play before I jumped in, so I knew about the wind.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Arghhhhhhhhhh I really want to buy Sim City 5 but not sure if I should or not. Wat do. Wat. Do.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Arghhhhhhhhhh I really want to buy Sim City 5 but not sure if I should or not. Wat do. Wat. Do.
Im on that same fence vid. Just don't know what I want to do.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly I think if I am going to get into a game like this I will just go back to Civ.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

I have a feeling they're going to turn off the DRM on this game. It's causing all of the problems. It's frustrating, but also almost satisfying to watch it fail so terribly.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a feeling they're going to turn off the DRM on this game. It's causing all of the problems. It's frustrating, but also almost satisfying to watch it fail so terribly.
That's the overblown part. It isn't the DRM causing the problem. I'm authenticating to the server with zero issue. The problem lies server-side with some of the calculations and recovery of cities.

They created the game in that the server does calculations that the game needs to function. It is sad that their servers are performing this poorly but not at all surprising given the Diablo III launch.

Quote:
Over the next few hours, we'll be deploying a server update which should help to improve game performance and resolve the following issues:
Trading not working consistently
Unable to load/claim city errors
Getting stuck in a loop in the tutorial
At least a solution may be in sight?

Last edited by Trogdor : 03-06-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote