Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it didn't use such a harsh DRM, there wouldn't be half as many people trying to play server-side and we wouldn't have the issues we're having.

I can't even play on a server other than Europe East 1 because the tutorial runs when you go to a different server, and the tutorial is now broken for me (loads the map, but the tutorial never starts - I can move around and basically do nothing).
Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
If it didn't use such a harsh DRM, there wouldn't be half as many people trying to play server-side and we wouldn't have the issues we're having.

I can't even play on a server other than Europe East 1 because the tutorial runs when you go to a different server, and the tutorial is now broken for me (loads the map, but the tutorial never starts - I can move around and basically do nothing).
No thats what I was trying to explain. You cannot play offline. The game was designed to offload some of the processing server-side. Even if there wasn't any sort of DRM if EA's servers were having trouble you wouldn't be able to play.

Server situation is awful and it's going to get worse tonight when EU players join in.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Arghhhhhhhhhh I really want to buy Sim City 5 but not sure if I should or not. Wat do. Wat. Do.
DO ET. DO ET NOW! Seriously, it's super fun. We could totes make a SWDC region and have fun with that. It's really fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Honestly I think if I am going to get into a game like this I will just go back to Civ.
I love Civ too, but they're very different games to me. Get Sim City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
You guys are making me want to buy this, but I have no free time :(

Maybe in a few months.
I actually felt the same way. I don't have very much free time these days but what I love about this game is I can play it for an hour or two and still come away feeling satisfied.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I love Civ too, but they're very different games to me. Get Sim City!
I am broke currently and sitting in a desk chair is murder right now so I don't foresee doing it any time soon.

That and my life is consumed by Marvel War of Heroes... Which you SHOULD DOOOO ETTTTT and get it.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am broke currently and sitting in a desk chair is murder right now so I don't foresee doing it any time soon.

That and my life is consumed by Marvel War of Heroes... Which you SHOULD DOOOO ETTTTT and get it.
Well you best save up some money! Especially with the Day Z standalone coming out in the near future too.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well you best save up some money! Especially with the Day Z standalone coming out in the near future too.
I've spent about $300+ on medical bills over the past 2-3 weeks so hopefully I can start to save some.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
I've spent about $300+ on medical bills over the past 2-3 weeks so hopefully I can start to save some.
Ah, I understand.

You best get prepared for the summer though! I am only taking one, maybe two, classes and they are both online so I will be playing the crap out of some games in the summer.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, this SC is different from those in the past. You can play for just a little bit and get away from it easily.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If SimCity didn't have online DRM, it would have been pirated to hell. I think The Sims is one of the most pirated games. Spore was heavily pirated as well. I'm usually against these kinds of DRM, but for SimCity it seems necessary.

I bought SimCity last night, haven't played it too much yet. My Origin id is thenrk

Sig by Hitman D.

Last edited by nrk : 03-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah I understand why DRM's are hated but I can understand why a company would do it.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is the new Sim CIty available for Macs?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

The city size is kind of annoying. I find myself running out of space really quickly. You're supposed to combat the city limits by creating multiple cities in a region, but I just don't feel like doing all that.

The game is cool and fun, but there are a ton of things I don't like about it, too.

To me, the biggest joy for SimCity games is the creativity and openness. The random maps and big spaces are what made it fun. This new game really limits creativity and everyone has the same 79 tiny maps to work with.

Last edited by nepg : 03-06-2013 at 06:06 PM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:42 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand DRM at all... the only people that you punish with that **** are the ones that actually buy the game.

The first thing that the pirates do is remove the DRM so that the software works and it takes them like 1/1000th of the time to crack it at no cost compared to the amount the stupid companies pour into designing it.

It's like the joke on the old "you wouldn't steal a car" clip before movies, the only people who ever had to sit through that crap were the people who'd paid for your movie, it was like a massive slap in the face for having supported them.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well someone mentioned that part of the game calculations require the EA servers. I imagine someone can figure out how to copy that effect, but perhaps it won't be as wide spread.

As far as the 2k size limitation, one new feature is that Sim City now simulates every individual person, where they live, work & spend their time & money. So the primary limitation is the processing power of the average PC. I saw on the leaderboard that someone had reached 700k in the first 24 hours, so I imagine 1m will be achievable with some practice. So moving from 2k to 4k, for example, that would make ~4m assuming they were able to increase on the same scale.

also if people get a region going, invite me: falloutboy1414

Tired of playing on empty maps or maps where people have no development of their cities.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
Well someone mentioned that part of the game calculations require the EA servers. I imagine someone can figure out how to copy that effect, but perhaps it won't be as wide spread.

As far as the 2k size limitation, one new feature is that Sim City now simulates every individual person, where they live, work & spend their time & money. So the primary limitation is the processing power of the average PC. I saw on the leaderboard that someone had reached 700k in the first 24 hours, so I imagine 1m will be achievable with some practice. So moving from 2k to 4k, for example, that would make ~4m assuming they were able to increase on the same scale.

also if people get a region going, invite me: falloutboy1414

Tired of playing on empty maps or maps where people have no development of their cities.
We'll definitely have a region just holding off on creating it until they have fixed the servers. Two of my save games are stuck in the "cannot load city" and I don't want us all to invest a bunch of time in our region just to have it corrupt. :(

Perhaps this weekend we can open a region up and start :)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Is the new Sim CIty available for Macs?
Not yet but it will be soon I believe. I'm upset to learn you use a Mac, Zak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
because they fundamentally misunderstand why most people are pirating ****? it was a ******* idiotic decision that's guaranteed i'll never play this game. and that's without even getting into the fact that i don't want to play with other people, and i think the city size limitation (and other things removed since 2k) is moronic.
Oh trust me, I agree. I think DRM's are absurd, but I can understand it. I mean, the fact that most PC's games are $60 dollars now is crazy considering the bump from $50 to $60 had to do with next-gen console games supposedly costing more to develop.

Also, the limited city sizes (initially) have more to do with performance issues than anything else I believe. They've already stated they will be making bigger maps to build on with the future.

Quote:
The city size is kind of annoying. I find myself running out of space really quickly. You're supposed to combat the city limits by creating multiple cities in a region, but I just don't feel like doing all that.

The game is cool and fun, but there are a ton of things I don't like about it, too.

To me, the biggest joy for SimCity games is the creativity and openness. The random maps and big spaces are what made it fun. This new game really limits creativity and everyone has the same 79 tiny maps to work with.
Yeah. I understand that. However, I actually feel like this Sim City requires you to be MUCH more creative. I can't just plop down anything anywhere and be relatively successful. You really have to plan your city out in a number of ways. Do I go heavy industrial? Do I go heavy residential? Do I invest in education and go high tech industry? Etc. etc.

I love the region idea, but I do understand why people just want a big ol' city for themselves and not have to worry about other region cities. I like Regions because they open up other cool possibilities like having an all commercial/residential/whatever city.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not yet but it will be soon I believe. I'm upset to learn you use a Mac, Zak...
It was a gift. I'm not a snobby person haha. I have an Android.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
It was a gift. I'm not a snobby person haha. I have an Android.
You could dual boot.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have an android, built pc, and a macbook screw taking sides!

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys are killing me here. I want to play. I have no time :(
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
You guys are killing me here. I want to play. I have no time :(
Yeah, I have very little time but if you have small spots of free time it's a great game for that. I can sit down for an hour, play it, and come away feeling satisfied and that I accomplished something in the game.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

^

It's not like past SC games or Civ where you get sucked in and can't break away. You can easily play this one on a limited time frame.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't know this was out. I've always loved SC. I'm bummed to hear about the size limits but I expect someone will work through that (EA or the community). It feels dirty knowing that Maxis is owned by EA now, but I really doubt I'll be able to not buy this game. Especially with my birthday coming up and my new 27" monitor arriving this afternoon.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

I'm sure there will be DLC and/or cracks that let you play how you want.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
^

It's not like past SC games or Civ where you get sucked in and can't break away. You can easily play this one on a limited time frame.
Yeah, and at the same time I was able to play it for like 4+ hours straight. Best of both worlds. I can't wait to wreck this game in the summer.