Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to bring in Matt Moore. He's a competent stop-gap QB who won't lose you games. He's definitely the best case scenario.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me, bringing in Garrard and Quinn would be a total cop out. But Garrard and Moore would be solid. I wouldn't be thrilled by a Garrard - Moore - Sanchez - McElroy camp competition, but that's not too bad. Would hope that somebody decent would come out of that one. Basically the Dolphins last year without Tannehill, which is obviously way worse than they ended up but about as good as we can do in terms of the FA market.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm actually a fan of Cumberland. In limited time, at least as a receiver, I think he has some real potential. Honestly, I thought there was more there with him than Keller. As a blocker... well, it isn't too difficult to find a good blocking TE on the cheap. I would still like us to take advantage of the deep draft class, but he's a respectable stop-gap and I'm glad we've tendered him.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Austin Howard situation? Personally, I don't know why anyone would give up a 2nd rounder for him, so I wouldn't see a problem in that tag. But, that would just mean having to draft another player for that position. Still, I could see us finding a near-equal replacement late in the draft and be able to use that pick for a more premier position. But if they like him, the difference between the 2nd round and 1st round tenders (as far as I know, about 800k), in my mind, are fairly negligible even with the tight cap space.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Cumberland too. Moves really well for a guy his size. I have a feeling Keller will look better on a new team with a competent QB throwing him the ball. Don't mind giving him a legit tender. Think as opposed to a blocking TE they should bring in a guy who can do a little of both. Thing that drove me nuts about having Keller/blocking TE's was that the rotation tended to make playcalls a little more obvious.

I think if they want to keep Howard they tender him with a first round tender, and if they want to try to bait a team into signing him but would like to keep him otherwise they give him a second. Think he's a pretty good player and between that and the sake of continuity on the OL I'd like to keep him around, but if they lose Moore and Slauson that continuity kind of goes out the window. Nobody's going to give up a one for him and I think we'd all trade him for a two in a heartbeat, so the second round tender seems about right but I wouldn't mind the first either.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-05-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Schefter makes it sound like we're going to be trading Revis no matter what. According to the NY Daily News, there's two teams interested.

EDIT: Schefter thinks we'll get a 2nd and a 3rd. Well I'd have to say that would sting lol.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-06-2013 at 07:19 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Schefter makes it sound like we're going to be trading Revis no matter what. According to the NY Daily News, there's two teams interested.

EDIT: Schefter thinks we'll get a 2nd and a 3rd. Well I'd have to say that would sting lol.
I'd much rather receive a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.

It kills me that they're going to let a future hall of famer leave and not receive much value. Why don't they trade Cro, and use the saved money to sign Revis?
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
I'd much rather receive a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.

It kills me that they're going to let a future hall of famer leave and not receive much value. Why don't they trade Cro, and use the saved money to sign Revis?
Because that makes too much sense and Woody Johnson is the worst. Cromartie's value will never be higher and I'd much rather take what we could get for him than trade our best player (possibly ever). But since Woody is trying to run the Jets like he runs Johnson & Johnson, we'll have to watch Revis finish his career in another uniform. I've actually come to terms with the fact that Revis being carted off the field in Miami is the last time we will see him in a Jets uniform. The worst part is that were trading the best player we've probably ever had and we're not going to get near equal value in return. Classic Jets.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

If we do happen to trade Revis, would you guys also be willing to part ways with Cromartie? Or would you like him to be kept? Personally, regardless if Revis goes or not, I would like to see Cro out. I like him, but he's a replaceable corner that's overpaid and a locker room distraction. Getting something like a 4th for him would be just fine by me. I think we could easily take a mid-round pick and find a long-term starter.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I agree. I think his contract is the reason we won't invest in Revis. It makes sense not to lock up a bunch of cap space in one position, albeit a very important one for our team.

msolimani made a great point about Cro's value never being higher than it is now. Woody is a business man, surely he understands buy low, sell high.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Anyone else feel like our rival fans are just praying that the Jets continue on this current path and trade Revis before they realize what they're doing? If I were a fan of the Dolphins, Bills, Patriots, Giants, etc. I'd be loving every second of this because it is such a typical Jets move. If Revis does indeed get traded in the coming weeks, then we just made a mistake because we participated in a trade that we can't win. Isn't one of the main points of trading to get the better end of the deal?

Also, if we are indeed rebuilding, then why aren't we trying to build around our best players (REVIS, Mangold, Brick, Wilkerson, Coples) and moving forward from there. Tannenbaum may have made a lot of bad moves but one thing I always liked best about his strategy was to lock up your own core players first.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, unfortunately Tannenbaum locked up too many "core" players which is why the cap situation is so bad. Some guys should have been let go, but Revis is not one of them. Sucks, because I'd rather pay Revis his $16 million than Harris/Cro whatever they're getting.

TTGS, I don't think Cro is as replaceable as you seem to. He's a legit #1 CB, and did really well last year. Obviously there wasn't as much pressure on him as there was on Revis when he was on the field, but Rex leaves his corners on an island a lot and Cro was fantastic last year. All of that said, based on the buy low, sell high principles (and the fact that Cro relies on his athleticism way more than Revis and will likely be terrible once he loses a step) I'd rather move him and his $9 million and pay Revis what he wants. It's QB money, but they don't have a QB to pay anyway and if they draft one he'll be on his rookie deal for the life of that contract so it's no big deal. However, I wouldn't want to trade them both because Cro is a legit #1 guy also. I'd just rather trade Cro than Revis.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, the Jets (or media) has put the Jets in the position of getting less than what Revis is really worth. This appears to be headed in the direction of us settling for a best offer. Potential suitors, SF, TB, AT, and DET, from what I've seen rumored. I'm still going to hold out hope that, once this gets real, two teams will start to outdo each other, and we get some good picks to help rebuild with. With that, if a 1st round pick is out of reach, what would be a set of picks from a team that you all feel like you could live with, and not feel like Revis was stolen from us?
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

If a first round pick is out of reach, I'll feel Revis was stolen from us regardless of what we get pretty much. I guess getting Dumervil/picks from the Broncos would be alright, saw Clayton mention that on ESPN yesterday. But anything less than a 1 and a 2 will feel like we got robbed, and even that's going to sting.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately Tannenbaum locked up too many "core" players which is why the cap situation is so bad. Some guys should have been let go, but Revis is not one of them. Sucks, because I'd rather pay Revis his $16 million than Harris/Cro whatever they're getting.

TTGS, I don't think Cro is as replaceable as you seem to. He's a legit #1 CB, and did really well last year. Obviously there wasn't as much pressure on him as there was on Revis when he was on the field, but Rex leaves his corners on an island a lot and Cro was fantastic last year. All of that said, based on the buy low, sell high principles (and the fact that Cro relies on his athleticism way more than Revis and will likely be terrible once he loses a step) I'd rather move him and his $9 million and pay Revis what he wants. It's QB money, but they don't have a QB to pay anyway and if they draft one he'll be on his rookie deal for the life of that contract so it's no big deal. However, I wouldn't want to trade them both because Cro is a legit #1 guy also. I'd just rather trade Cro than Revis.
I just think CBs are a very overrated position. I'd take a star Safety over a star CB any day of the week. It's all Deion's fault that the pay scale is tipped so heavily in CB's favor. Champ, Woodson, Asomugha, etc. have been made to look awful in just as many seasons as they have been considered all-pro, which is why money should almost never go to the position. Revis is an exception because he is phenomenal (but in our current state, probably not worth the financial headache). Because of how our situation has played out and how Tannenbaum let Rex get his way, we've put too much attention on the CBs. All of our problems lie in the front seven. If we could get some real talent there, people would see how starved we were and what that could open up for mediocre talent in the secondary. In Baltimore, Rex fielded amazing defenses with nickel corner castoffs as starters.

In other news, the Jags released Dawan Landry. If we found a way to keep Laron, it'd be kind of cool to have the both of them back there. It'd probably be our best Safety duo in a real long time. Of course, since they released him for financial reasons, I doubt we'd have the money, and there are probably several better Safety options in the draft.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Perhaps, Rex has certainly done well with UDFA guys in the nickel here and the Seahawks have built a great secondary without using premium picks on the position. I don't think it's impossible to succeed without great corners, but the scheme Rex wants to run is based on putting guys on an island outside for the most part freeing him up to do all sorts of things with the other 9 guys. Would be much more effective if the team wasn't so weak in coverage at LB and safety. I kind of like the approach as it makes the defense a little less predictable, but there's obviously an appeal to getting pressure just rushing 4 every play. But based on what we're going to be running this year at least, corners are important. Rex has gone overboard and I'm sure he'd adjust to talent in other spots, but it's still a significant position. I'd really like to see them just draft toolsy guys late and develop them.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

I think cornerbacks are more important now than they have ever been. We all know how much teams pass in today's game and being able to at least slow that down with talent on the outside is very important. In my opinion, outside of QB's, OT's, and Pass rushers, corners are the most important position on the field.

That said, I agree with TTGS that you should be cautious when throwing around big money to that position because corners can be unpredictable. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Just ask the 49ers what position they'd like to upgrade this off-season. They have one of the best front sevens we've seen in years and they didn't win the Super Bowl this year in part because Baltimore beat them on the outside.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manish Mehta
Jets will make re-signing DL Mike DeVito a "priority," I'm told. But it's unclear whether they'll be able to afford him. #NYJ: $8M under cap
Interesting. I really like him. I wish he would start over Coples (I know that's not going to happen). A DL rotation is important and at the very least, we should have a lot of bodies in there. Having a tough, hard-working player that knows the system like DeVito might be the best re-sign we could make.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Apparently the Jets aren't letting potential suitors for Revis talk contract with his agents. Not sure exactly how that benefits them at all. Nobody's going to make a legit offer unless they know whether or not they can extend him, and they have to talk to his agents to figure that out. And if the end game is to get him to sign a long-term deal by seeing that the market for him is less than he's asking for, then they still need to let him talk to other teams. I don't get it.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Apparently the Jets aren't letting potential suitors for Revis talk contract with his agents. Not sure exactly how that benefits them at all. Nobody's going to make a legit offer unless they know whether or not they can extend him, and they have to talk to his agents to figure that out. And if the end game is to get him to sign a long-term deal by seeing that the market for him is less than he's asking for, then they still need to let him talk to other teams. I don't get it.

I'm hoping that Idzik knows what he is doing. Saw this from Profootballtalk.com:

(Profootballtalk.com reports the Jets have a "good" trade offer on the table for Darrelle Revis.

The offer is classified as "good" in terms of compensation for the Jets and the financial terms that would extend to Revis. However, that financial package has yet to be shared with Revis and his agents due to GM John Idzik stubborn unwillingness to grant Revis' camp permission to discuss a contract with other teams. The Falcons, Broncos, and 49ers have recently denied interest in Revis. A rumor of Eagles GM Howie Roseman "crunching numbers" and "putting together an offer" for Revis surfaced on Sunday.)

Doubt we can steal their #4 pick, but #39 is definitely a possibility if the Eagles are the team with the offer. Maybe pick #4 and #39 with Revis and our #9 if there was something the Jets wanted to move up for.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I think that contract stuff is more of something to prevent being reprimanded. Teams aren't allowed to talk "contract stuff" with players under contract with another team. If there really are teams lined up, I'm sure they've been talking with his camp. The fact that their representatives are playing along, in my mind, would mean something is happening pretty soon. But that's just me.

In related news, I hear TB is interested in Sean Smith and Dashon Goldson. If I were them, I'd poor all that money into Revis rather than picking up the both of them (if that was their idea).

In other Jets news, I hear Shonn Greene is being talked about as an option in GB. That would seem odd to me because he would appear to not be a good fit at all. I would also be sort of angry that he would be going to a good team.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

Could be the Jets floating this out there to drive up the market. Regardless, it seems like something will get done this week before Revis is due to get his $1 mil roster bonus. After seeing what Minnesota got back for Percy Harvin I just hope we get something decent in return and don't get screwed over.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Looks like a trade may be imminent.

Think a team that makes sense for that good offer is the Bucs. Not sure they'll end up landing Revis, but they make sense from the perspective that's given - good deal for the Jets and good money for Revis. They've got money to burn and would offer a higher draft pick/picks than other teams. Question is how much he wants to play for a contender.

EDIT:

Pouha cut too. Makes sense, saves them more money than cutting anyone else and I think he's going to have trouble staying healthy from this point. Wonder if he re-signs on a cheaper, one year deal. Opens the door for Ellis to step up this year.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-12-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We were able to restructure Holmes' contract. The terms of the contract hasn't been released yet.

I like the job Idzik is doing thus far.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-12-2013, 02:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Think that should have been a fairly straightforward negotiation. As I understand it, Holmes wasn't able to double dip this year so unless he thought he was getting over $7.5 million after getting cut he'd be losing money. Jets get him to play for $8 or $9 million, he makes more money than he would if he was getting cut and they save cap space.

Now they have a decent amount of money to play with, wonder what they're going to do. Victor Butler and Chase Daniel have been hot names. Obviously they'll lose basically what they saved by cutting Pouha if/when Revis gets moved so that would hurt.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

So Tampa Bay is the team who put the offer on the table for Revis.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-move-quickly/

Quote:
At best, it’s a package headlined by a second-round pick this year or possibly a first-rounder in 2014. Under these circumstances, a 2013 first-round pick for Revis doesn’t make sense.
What would you guys want. Assuming the rest of the package is the same, a 2013 second rounder or 2014 first rounder?

Sig by BoneKrusher