Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why do people think Floyd can all of a sudden play the 5-tech in the NFL, when he wasn't particularly good at it when logged a whole season there in college? He played an entire season at the 5-tech and didn't manage to get his first sack until the bowl game, and people now believe he'll actually a threat off the edge in the NFL?

Pass rushing defensive tackle, fine. Defensive end? No thanks. Just because he played defensive end doesn't mean he played it well.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Greg Cosell disagreed with this.
I disagree with Cosell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
There wasn't any real "mistake" with playing Dorsey at the 5-tech. They were just kind of stuck with him and he was the best option. He was actually really good at it his second year (like really good), but regressed in 2011 and 2012.
Their were times when he was very good against the run, but he has no passrush ability. I realize 3-4 lineman arent really asked to passrush, but he and Jackson are terrible when compared even to their peers (other 3-4DE).

Finally, he doesnt command double teams. Most of the time he can be taken out with a single block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Cosell also compared him to JJ Watt...haha I think not
exactly. Watt is 6'5'' with 34'' arms. He uses that length to to contain against the run, and bat down passes. He is a prototypical 3-4DE.
findthedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Floyd being compared to Watt is just flat out ridiculous.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthedr View Post
Their were times when he was very good against the run, but he has no passrush ability. I realize 3-4 lineman arent really asked to passrush, but he and Jackson are terrible when compared even to their peers (other 3-4DE).

Finally, he doesnt command double teams. Most of the time he can be taken out with a single block.
The problem is when people tried to say something along these lines, they get compared to Richard ******* Seymour and Aaron Smith. The two best 3-4 DEs ever. That's just crazy unfair and unrealistic. Yeah, they're underwhelming, but anything more than eating blockers and containing the run is gravy with 3-4 DEs. Dorsey was Pro Bowl level in 2010, but certainly warranted replacing in the years following.

People get spoiled by guys like Seymour, Smith, Smith, and Watt and expect all 3-4 linemen to be like that.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 PM    (permalink
SRK85
Rookie

SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I bet they take Fisher. Nothing against Joeckel just having a feeling that the Chiefs will go with Fisher.

Go Bucs, Josh Freeman is a beast!
SRK85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM    (permalink
findthedr
Rookie

findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.findthedr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet they take neither Joeckel or Fisher.
findthedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Why do people think Floyd can all of a sudden play the 5-tech in the NFL, when he wasn't particularly good at it when logged a whole season there in college? He played an entire season at the 5-tech and didn't manage to get his first sack until the bowl game, and people now believe he'll actually a threat off the edge in the NFL?

Pass rushing defensive tackle, fine. Defensive end? No thanks. Just because he played defensive end doesn't mean he played it well.
More of this bizzare Floyd hype.
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Black Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brian Baldinger just dinged Joeckel's balls.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
More of this bizzare Floyd hype.
His rise certainly has been a bit bizarre. Not that he isn't a good player or worth some hype, but it kind of came out of nowhere. He wasn't getting a bunch of hype during the regular season and then about a week or two before the combine people were saying he was top 5. Like a couple guys mentioned that he was top 5 everyone else just kind of followed suit. He didn't have some freakish combine either. I would understand a bit more if he played at a small school, but the dude played at Florida so he had plenty of exposure.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Floyd's rise was a product of draftniks being behind real scouts. As the bridge, Daniel Jeremiah started closing the gap. Then Mayock and Kiper and everyone started hyping him. And Cosell, as probably the most respected film-watcher of all, gave rave reviews.

I'm not sure if I would take Floyd at No. 1. But I think he might be the best defensive prospect in the draft.

And he could play 3-technique on passing downs.

I think he's the most likely pick unless Albert agrees to play RT.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Black Bolt
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Floyd's rise was a product of draftniks being behind real scouts. As the bridge, Daniel Jeremiah started closing the gap. Then Mayock and Kiper and everyone started hyping him. And Cosell, as probably the most respected film-watcher of all, gave rave reviews.

I'm not sure if I would take Floyd at No. 1. But I think he might be the best defensive prospect in the draft.

And he could play 3-technique on passing downs.

I think he's the most likely pick unless Albert agrees to play RT.

Wait a second, WHAT??? This guy does not, in any way, shape or form fit in a 3-4 defense. The Chiefs picking him would be utter madness.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying he isn't good, his rise was just unusually timed. You typically see players garner a lot of attention either during/right after the season or during/right after the combine.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
Wait a second, WHAT??? This guy does not, in any way, shape or form fit in a 3-4 defense. The Chiefs picking him would be utter madness.
I side with Cosell. I think he's gifted enough to make an impact as a 2-gap player on 1 and 2. And a big-time inside pass rusher on the most important down.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have Ansah and Milliner (without question) before Floyd. Floyd was very good on tape, but not top 5 good. I have no idea where this madness is coming from.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

To expand on Floyd - I'd be pretty surprised if he lasted to four. In fact, I'm almost ready to guarantee he doesn't last to three.

He's absolutely perfect for Jacksonville. Perfect.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Ian Rapaport, the Chiefs are continuing to work with Branden Albert on a new contract, and view him as the long term answer at left tackle, not right.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
His rise certainly has been a bit bizarre. Not that he isn't a good player or worth some hype, but it kind of came out of nowhere. He wasn't getting a bunch of hype during the regular season and then about a week or two before the combine people were saying he was top 5. Like a couple guys mentioned that he was top 5 everyone else just kind of followed suit. He didn't have some freakish combine either. I would understand a bit more if he played at a small school, but the dude played at Florida so he had plenty of exposure.
Usually when it come out of nowhere like this I tend to think that someone with reliable sources within an organization heard a team in the top 10 is enthralled with him. Thus a huge rise.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
Usually when it come out of nowhere like this I tend to think that someone with reliable sources within an organization heard a team in the top 10 is enthralled with him. Thus a huge rise.
Probably. It was just a funny though. Nobody was talking about him after the season. Then a week or two before the combine a rumbling of his being top 5 happened. Then by the time the combine rolled around everyone was all up on his nuts. It was like prospect bandwagoning.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Roddoliver
Rookie

Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post

Tyson Jackson all over again. Here we go.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The first time I'd seen him projected in the Top 20 was when Pioli released his Top 10.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

I think Floyd is an excellent prospect as a 43 UT, but I don't buy the versatility thing with him. I think his lack of length will really hurt him as a 34 end.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I remember correctly the Chandler Jones hype didn't come out until just before the draft.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
If I remember correctly the Chandler Jones hype didn't come out until just before the draft.
If I remember correctly, he gained a good bit of hype during/after the combine.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

You can absolutely see the appeal on tape. He's just so gifted. And apparently everyone likes the intangibles. He plays all three downs WELL - many DTs can't do that. Endurance. These are things we don't consider that teams do.

Like I said, the ":rise" came from Jeremiah via scouts and a high-ranking executive (I'd guess from the Ravens) guaranteeing a top-10 pick. He was always ranked high. We just didn't know it.

This reminds me of Bruce Irvin - his stock "rose" the day of the draft. He was getting first round hype for the first time ever on that day and everyone was skeptical. Then they all screamed reach. He was always ranked high - we just didn't know it.

Sometimes we don't have the full story for guys.

I highly doubt that the NFL scouts and Cosell are all in the wrong and our stock watch on him is catching something incorrect.

EDIT: Maybe some of you don't watch NFLN or don't have it. Their coverage of Floyd has been pretty consistent. He's been universally regarded as one of the top prospects in the draft since before the combine. And he had a great combine.

Last edited by gpngc : 03-07-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Irvin "rise" kind of bugs me because it was kind of obvious. Good stats, good triangle numbers, good tape. You take that type of guy every day of the week and twice on draft day.

Irvin might bust yet, but he was always going to be a high pick. I'd like to know what type of scuttlebutt was going through the professional draftnik community to make people think the way they did.

Last edited by WCH : 03-07-2013 at 11:33 PM.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote