Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
A is irrelevant to B.

doubtful. DLC, maybe, but as long as any of the game processing is server-side, there's little to no chance that it gets 'fixed'. and by the time it does, no one will be playing it anymore.
Correct. I should have separated that. Although it is relevant in the sense it is another way that publishers have screwed over gamers.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ahahah... This is a must read!

http://kotaku.com/5989350/nfl-punter...ea-and-simcity
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

amazon pulls sim city.

Lol lol lol. Read the first review.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

EA sucks. Stop buying their games until they stop sucking.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah EA ruined Bioware and SW:TOR. Sort of. Anyway, they still blow.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 PM    (permalink
SRK85
Rookie

SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SRK85 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Wow EA is a joke I hated them for a while now. Can't believe they screwed up sim city. I guess if I am gonna get a new game I'll just buy new vegas on steam so I can get some mods for it.

Go Bucs, Josh Freeman is a beast!
SRK85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just for the record, Sim City is an amazing game. I love it. The whole server issues/DRM blows but the game itself is fantastic.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure the game developers and designers want to murder the legal team, the server team, and the DRM team. Couldn't imagine putting all of that work into something only to have it completely ruined by inept and ****** management.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah it blows for Maxis. This game is a home-run but EA is trying to rival Blizzard in worst always-on launch in history.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Yeah, I just feel bad for Maxis. Gamespot was incredibly childish by giving the game a 5.0 score. So idiotic. I understand they want to rail against EA but to punish Maxis for making a superb game is idiotic. Just shows how bias they are. They loved Diablo III despite DRM and a disastrous launch because everyone loves to cuddle up with Blizzard but still gave it a great review, yet they hammer SimCity for the same thing.

I guess I shouldn't expect much from game review sites anyways though.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maxis shouldn't have sold out. I don't mind them getting some grief for it. Unless it was a hostile thing. What was Maxis' visionary guy? Will something? What happened to him? He seemed like the type to absolutely not sell out.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I mean, I don't think they really sold out. They just got bought out. The days of independent game developers are quickly coming to an end.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Hah, wow, way to make GROSS generalizations. I actually had VERY little expectations for this game coming in. I'm just talking about the game itself. The game is fun. I don't really give a **** about the political rhetoric of "DRM'S ARE SO LAME!!!" To address your other issues:

Quote:
or is this just mindless fellation because everyone told you the game would be awesome and now you have to believe it?
Right, I'm just a mindless drone. Something sucks, but gosh, I'm going to say how awesome it is and how much fun I have playing it! The game is great. Are there issues? Sure. Would I like bigger city sizes? Sure. Is it not in the game because of CPU issues? Partially, sure. I'm confident quite a few CPUs couldn't handle the classic MASSIVE cities we're used to in other SimCity games. And, despite people bitching, you can make a heavily populated city. I've seen people with millions of residents. However, it actually takes A TON of planning and skill to reach that level. Makes it more fun to me.

Quote:
the belief that you should only ever want to play with other people is crap.
When the hell did I say this? I never said this once. I said that I PERSONALLY enjoy playing with other people. You certainly don't have to. You can make a private region and play by yourself. And, one of my biggest knocks on the game is that they didn't make a pure single player/offline mode. Utterly stupid, in my opinion.

Quote:
the fact that the techinical issues mean that cities aren't being saved properly, that saves are being corrupted, and that in spite of everything being 'in the cloud', i can't access my stuff if i flip to a different server is crap.
I mean, I personally have yet to experience this but I imagine how frustrating it can be for some people. Again, it's stupid to have your saves stored in a cloud system. Dumb.

Quote:
he fact that they had to remove relatively important game features and that STILL didn't help with their inability to have enough servers is crap.
Relatively important features? You mean, like, leader boards? Yeah, very important stuff right there.

Quote:
let's stop acting like this is the mostest perfectest game ever and that all the reviewers are just meanines.
When did I do that? I've said plenty of times there are several issues I take with the game. Some of them bother me significantly. Yet, every time I play the game I have fun. To me, that's what's important. I can't say that about a lot of games. If they fix a lot of the issues, update it and add some more content (like bigger cities) it will be amazing.

It's not the reviewers being "meanies." In fact, many of the reviews were great prior to the server issues. It's the fact that Van Oord, from Gamespot, is an asshole who LOVES railing on big companies like EA. And the fact that he says, "Yeah, its fun and I like a lot of the game" and then gives it a horrendous review for an issue that is already being solved. Be professional, that's my issue. I hate EA too, but I'm not going to just not play a game I want to play because they're involved.

Quote:
it's pathetic and reminiscent of the 12 year olds who slobber all over every CoD release for 6 days before they move on to the next one.
I mean, I think CoD is a joke so you won't get much of a complaint from me. I was actually happy SimCity tried to mix it up a bit. A lot of people wanted Sim City 2000 or Sim City 4 with better graphics. I think that's stupid. I love when people complain about CoD and then when a beloved game gets a new sequel and everyone flips out because it's different.

Quote:
again, that's utter crap. there are LOADS of fantastic indie game devs. it's like the people who always want to pretend that independent music is dead because a few people aren't smart enough to stop buying top 40 garbage.
Yes, and I love a lot of indie games. A lot of them are good, a lot of them are crap. Pretty much sums up all games in general. Some are good, some are crap. Such is life.

I love playing some Indie games, but yeah, sorry, I do like playing games with more depth/graphics/etc. I don't think that's a crime, is it? And yes, the reason they can make games with more content (typically) and superior graphics, animations, story, etc. is because they are flush with cash.

There are plenty of top 40 games that are amazing. Is Call of Duty one of them for me? No. Is Battlefield 3? Yeah. I'm not going to write off all games because they are published by EA, Activision or some other big name company. That's foolish.

My point is: does Sim City have a lot of issues? Sure. Have other games have a lot of issues on release and still been great games? Yup, plenty. They will be fixed and I will go on enjoying the game. That doesn't mean you have to, or anyone else for that matter.

Also, side note, absolutely hilarious you're ripping me for "not reading all the reviews," many of which I have, and you haven't even played the ******* game.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maxis has been with EA forever. I ain't think they had much choice in the matter. I don't think any dev worth a crap wants to deal with EA after what they did to Bioware.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice to see njx trolling for no apparent reason.

Played for about 4 hours today and had a blast. Server issues are appalling but once they get straightened out this game has serious potential.

Server issues need to be fixed and will be in the near future as they are rolling out a bunch of series while patching server issues.

Is the game perfect? Not even close. Then again not a single game on the market is on release.

Bottom line: The game is unbelievably fun and far more engrossing than any city simulator on the market. I still play SimCity 4 and I have played the abortion of a series known as Cities XL.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What kind of soft ware does it take to run Sim City smoothly?

What I have intel Core I3
Nvidia @ geforce GT 540M
4. GB DDR3 Memory .
640 GB HDD

Would this be enough to run it ok ?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RAM is really cheap. 4GB is pretty low. Without even looking at the recommended specs, I'd bump that up.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
RAM is really cheap. 4GB is pretty low. Without even looking at the recommended specs, I'd bump that up.
Is that possible on a laptop ?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Is that possible on a laptop ?
You can def purchase RAM upgrades on a laptop, but it's important to know if the MOBO can take more RAM.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

And the RAM will be more expensive. Maybe not by much. I didn't realize it was a laptop.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
What kind of soft ware does it take to run Sim City smoothly?

What I have intel Core I3
Nvidia @ geforce GT 540M
4. GB DDR3 Memory .
640 GB HDD

Would this be enough to run it ok ?
You can run it no problem. I can run it on a AMD 5600+, 4GB ram, ATI 6850 with everything on high except shadows. I always turn off shadows as they are a resource hog.

If you run into any problems just lower the resolution and turn off shadows. The game was designed to run on a wide spec of computers :)
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

OK thanks ^ . I kinda peaked at the specs last night and does look that way I can run it ok. good to know if i wanna pick this up after all the issues are worked out and a price drop.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

For those who bought SimCity or plan on buying it before the 18th EA is going to be offering a free EA game from their PC collection as an apology.

No word on whether it'll be limited to a specific set of games or the entire catalog.

Quote:
On Friday, in another online statement, Ms. Bradshaw apologized for the game’s debut. She tried to quell fan outrage with an apology for failing to have sufficient server capacity — “that was dumb” — and with the offer of a free EA PC game to anyone who purchases SimCity before next Monday. In a brief e-mail interview, Ms. Bradshaw said that the genesis of the problem was”simply put, we underestimated the surge in customers we had right at launch and the demand that the game would have on our servers once in the wild.”
Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice try EA. I'm not buying SimCity.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking to get a new game on Steam since im on spring break any recommendations?

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote