Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McKinney's agent said he wants back and Ozzie expressed similar feelings. I wouldn't hate to have him back with how he played at the end there. He won't come at a dirt cheap deal, but he shouldn't be too bad for a 1 year thing.

I'm not at all mad about the max contract talk for Flacco. He is in a contract negotiation so his agent will say what he has to to get his client paid. I'm sure the deal will be more reasonable than it could be. Honestly, Flacco is our only option so he has a ton of leverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Totally agree, don't really like McKinnie but I think he would be our best option because let's be honest, Michael Oher is not a left tackle in this league. It's obvious he's much better suited at RT.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It looks like Birk is retiring tomorrow/this morning. I'm sad to see a guy like him leave the league. I have a hunch he'll be doing alright in his post-football career though.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
It looks like Birk is retiring tomorrow/this morning. I'm sad to see a guy like him leave the league. I have a hunch he'll be doing alright in his post-football career though.
agreed, good player and good person.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...retire-friday/

Guess Gino Gradkowski is our center for next year? I never did like the pick but let's what what he can do.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like it's official. Matt Birk riding off into the sunset as well. It was great having him on the team and in the league. Good guy.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-in-cap-space/

interesting, With Roethlisberger re-structuring his contract it takes him out of the top 5 highest paid QB's for this year, (replaced by Rivers) and lowering the cost of the exclusive franchise tag, not by much but it can't hurt us. lol, thought that was worth sharing.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stafford and Brees are up next. I hope it doesn't come to the point of having to use the exclusive franchise tag on Flacco but if it happens it's obviously best to have it at it's lowest possible value.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...strike-a-deal/

Flacco's deal is done, no details yet.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yesssssssss

Glad we got it done sooner than later. Lets get our other guys signed and get back to action.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Ravens won't use the tag on anyone but Flacco but Adam Schefter just said on ESPN that they might use it to try and retain another one of our many FA's.

I hope and pray they don't use it on Kruger or Cary Williams, if anyone should be tagged, its Ellerbe.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

We all know Kruger and Cary Williams a probably gone. LB tag is $9.6 mil and the corner tag is $10.8 mil. Ellerbe is going to be the next one paid once this is signed. I would have loved Cary for the 3/$15 before the season but now he will get paid. I'd love to have Kruger back too but he will cost way too much for a guy who was a rotational passrusher and didn't start. Too much money to sink into the position when we just drafted Upshaw as well.

I wonder if we think of tagging Reed. I don't want to piss him off or anything but I really don't want him to leave. The safety tag is $6.9 mil which is probably less than he cost last year. We will probably still work out a deal, but I don't want to risk losing him to the Patriots or some crap.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After we get then numbers on Flacco's deal we will have a clearer picture, but I believe Ozzie and Co. did their best to maximize their 2013 spending power. I believe we won't lose any big names through cuts. My wish list includes Ellerbe and Reed.

Remember when there was talk with Ray Lewis during his last contract negotiations? There was so much chatter about him leaving, so much chatter of him becoming a Cowboy. He returned because his value is highest with the Ravens. I believe Ed is the same way. That defense belongs to Ed now and we can't let him get away.

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

anyone got any info on Jameel McClain?? Will he be back next year? If not, how does it effect us financially ?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I haven't read anything that strongly indicates McClain will be either cut or kept but I think Wilson has tweeted that there's a real possibility McClain won't be back. I can only hope that's the case.

For the financial impact of cutting McClain (and a few others) here's a little chart:

http://russellstreetreport.com/raven...agency-primer/

Keep in mind those cap savings numbers are reduced a bit when you factor in the guy who's replacing whoever gets cut under the Rule of 51.

Last edited by coordinator0 : 03-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Bobbie Williams just got cut.

I'm also down with letting Ayanbadejo go, too old and nowhere near what he used to be on special teams.

I would hate to see us cut Leach. I think Boldin will re-structure and the same might be asked of Jones.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

For Ayanbadejo to be cut I think McClain would have to stick on the roster. It's highly unlikely both are let go since that would leave Bynes as the only ILB on the team (assuming Ellerbe signs elsewhere). Letting go of Ayanbadejo doesn't give the team much in terms of cap savings (less than half a million when you factor in the Rule of 51).

I wouldn't mind Ayanbadejo getting cut since I don't think he's particularly good on defense and isn't what he used to be on special teams but I don't think there's much of a reason to cut him either.

Boldin and Jones can't restructure since they're both in the last year of their deals. They can get extensions though. The same goes for Leach.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All three of Boldin, Leach and Jones would be wise to give extensions that would decrease their cap number, but give them contracts beyond this and next season. Ayanbadejo still has a great impact on special teams, and I would rather have him stay than a guy like Considine, which I think offers nothing in our base defense.

As far as I know, McClains injury was no where near career threatening, so he should be back next season unless he is a cap casualty, which wouldn't save us much. The thing about McClain as well as Ayanbadejo is, that I think they could be replaced rather easily with either another FA or a rookie, as they both are one-dimensional. In the end, it all comes down to business with those two.
Dan#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
For Ayanbadejo to be cut I think McClain would have to stick on the roster. It's highly unlikely both are let go since that would leave Bynes as the only ILB on the team (assuming Ellerbe signs elsewhere). Letting go of Ayanbadejo doesn't give the team much in terms of cap savings (less than half a million when you factor in the Rule of 51).

I wouldn't mind Ayanbadejo getting cut since I don't think he's particularly good on defense and isn't what he used to be on special teams but I don't think there's much of a reason to cut him either.

Boldin and Jones can't restructure since they're both in the last year of their deals. They can get extensions though. The same goes for Leach.
shoot thats right, totally forgot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...efore-tuesday/

this sucks. I can't believe the Ravens are asking him to take a pay cut after the postseason he just had but business is business. Im sure both sides understand.

Really hope he is back with us next season, I don't trust Tandon Doss as our main possession guy.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:15 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** Joe Flacco if Boldin gets cut. Seriously that is ********.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-go-elsewhere/

looks like he's headed for the open market, this blows. Ultimate team guy and was a man amongst toddlers in the playoffs.

TBH, I don't think any team will break the bank to get him, we might be able to re-sign him to a cheaper deal after the first wave of free agency. *crosses fingers*
Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
**** Joe Flacco if Boldin gets cut. Seriously that is ********.
Flacco's cap hit for next season is $6.8 million. His new deal isn't what's leading to this. Boldin's is $6 million and they would save that much against the cap by cutting him. Trying to resign Ellerbe and/or Reed is by far the most likely motivation for either cutting Boldin or trying to getting him to agree to take less money for next season.

But please, keep trying to find things to blame Flacco for.

I can't blame the front office for not expecting Boldin to repeat his postseason performance next season.

Last edited by coordinator0 : 03-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Flacco's cap hit for next season is $6.8 million. His new deal isn't what's leading to this. Boldin's is $6 million and they would save that much against the cap by cutting him. Trying to resign Ellerbe and/or Reed is by far the most likely motivation for either cutting Boldin or trying to getting him to agree to take less money for next season.

But please, keep trying to find things to blame Flacco for.

I can't blame the front office for not expecting Boldin to repeat his postseason performance next season.
And if he had taken a smaller deal, his cap hit could be smaller. I get that he has a small cap number this year relative to the rest. But cutting your best receiver who has made big plays time and time again Baltimore and especially during the playoff run, is unacceptable considering they knew his cap number going into the Flacco negotiations.

That's fair if you think or Ozzie and co. think Boldin can't do it again. He's getting older, although clearly not showing any signs of it. But you expect Joe to play up to his monster deal without his top receiver? Brian Hartline just got 6 million a year. Solid wideouts cost a lot and good ones cost even more. We can't replace Boldin with a free agent and we'd have to get extremely lucky in the draft.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
And if he had taken a smaller deal, his cap hit could be smaller. I get that he has a small cap number this year relative to the rest. But cutting your best receiver who has made big plays time and time again Baltimore and especially during the playoff run, is unacceptable considering they knew his cap number going into the Flacco negotiations.
Well, yeah. That's kind of obvious. But think about how much smaller of a signing bonus he would have had to take to significantly lower his cap number this year. He's only making $1 million in base salary for next season and even if he took $6 million less as a signing bonus it roughly would have only lowered his cap number by $1 million because of the proration. How much less would you expect Flacco to get? Reportedly Baltimore was offering him $16 million a season before the season even started.

Quote:
That's fair if you think or Ozzie and co. think Boldin can't do it again. He's getting older, although clearly not showing any signs of it. But you expect Joe to play up to his monster deal without his top receiver? Brian Hartline just got 6 million a year. Solid wideouts cost a lot and good ones cost even more. We can't replace Boldin with a free agent and we'd have to get extremely lucky in the draft.
People were worried about Flacco after Mason was cut too. It didn't have much of an effect. Boldin is a replaceable receiver, he's not a big play-maker on the outside (this postseason was more of an anomaly than the norm) that Flacco depends on. Pitta is developing into his solid short/intermediate range option.

I don't want Boldin gone. He's a guy that won't be affected by age as soon as other types of receivers are. But lets not go making him into a top 15 guy in the NFL that would cripple the passing game if he gets cut. He hasn't been that kind of guy since his Arizona days. Solid receivers do cost money but it looks like the team is more worried about investing in their defensive free agents than at WR.

Like I said before if you're going to blame anybody the more likely targets are Ellerbe and/or Reed. Flacco takes a lot of crap for not "taking one for the team" with his contract but that doesn't apply to anybody else? Hell even Boldin isn't offering to take less money since he declined that today.

EDIT - And now it sounds like Baltimore hasn't asked Boldin to take a pay cut. If you believe Hensley at least.

Last edited by coordinator0 : 03-09-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im shocked we are letting Boldin go. Do you guys feeel Reed is more valuable then him for the team? I honestly dont know who is more valuable. I want us to target a veteran WR even if we draft a WR early.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well, yeah. That's kind of obvious. But think about how much smaller of a signing bonus he would have had to take to significantly lower his cap number this year. He's only making $1 million in base salary for next season and even if he took $6 million less as a signing bonus it roughly would have only lowered his cap number by $1 million because of the proration. How much less would you expect Flacco to get? Reportedly Baltimore was offering him $16 million a season before the season even started.

People were worried about Flacco after Mason was cut too. It didn't have much of an effect. Boldin is a replaceable receiver, he's not a big play-maker on the outside (this postseason was more of an anomaly than the norm) that Flacco depends on. Pitta is developing into his solid short/intermediate range option.

I don't want Boldin gone. He's a guy that won't be affected by age as soon as other types of receivers are. But lets not go making him into a top 15 guy in the NFL that would cripple the passing game if he gets cut. He hasn't been that kind of guy since his Arizona days. Solid receivers do cost money but it looks like the team is more worried about investing in their defensive free agents than at WR.

Like I said before if you're going to blame anybody the more likely targets are Ellerbe and/or Reed. Flacco takes a lot of crap for not "taking one for the team" with his contract but that doesn't apply to anybody else? Hell even Boldin isn't offering to take less money since he declined that today.

EDIT - And now it sounds like Baltimore hasn't asked Boldin to take a pay cut. If you believe Hensley at least.
I get what you are saying. Obviously it would be ideal if everyone could be unselfish and take cap friendly deals and no one would be overpaid and you could put the best players on one team and be unstoppable. So everyone on the team with a large salary (Suggs, Ngata, Boldin) and the FA's who want them (Ellerbe, Reed, Williams and Kruger are as good as gone and overpaid) are to blame for this financial predicament.

I just have a hard time with making Flacco the highest paid in the league when it's so painfully obvious that the rest of the team helped get him here. And I just don't like the message it sends when you pay that much to one guy and consequently have to let others go. And it's not like paying Rice or Boldin, because the Flacco deal is so much more than theirs.

The Oline played lights out in the playoffs and not coincidentally Joe played well. He has never demonstrated above average pocket presence like Brady, Brees, or the Manning brothers are known for. His throws to Jacoby in the playoffs were impressive physically but the Denver one was lucky and the SF pass was underthrown and Jacoby made plays to get to the endzone. Boldin made huge plays every game in the playoffs. The running game kept churning out yards against the best front 7 in the league at SF.

So to me, giving Flacco that contract puts him above the team. It saying guys like Reed & Boldin, team leaders, can be cast aside because you are the only true constant we need. And I understand you need a top quarterback to win the Superbowl. But even the best need stud players around them, and I still don't have faith in Flacco to perform week in and week out like a top 5 QB. And you need more than just a stud QB. The best QBs in the league were watching from home this Superbowl.

And I can't help but note that LeBron James signed a 6 year $109 million deal. Yes, different sports, different caps, but LeBron took less than the max contract to go to Miami so D Wade and Bosh could take bigger deals than him and they could fill the rest of the roster with the Battiers and Ray Allens of the NBA.

I'll end the rant there. Unfortunately, I can't see myself ever being on the Joe Flacco train. His inconsistency the past five years has been maddening.