Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's Bridgewater and everyone else. He's in a class of his own, in my opinion. Mariota and Boyd are very intriguing and I need to see more of Manziel.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Armchair Scout
Rookie

Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Armchair Scout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
He's overrated because people think he's going to run as much in the NFL. He won't. He's going to need to still be effective from the pocket. He's going to get killed in the NFL. He's more elusive than Griffin is, so that may help him. People want to compare him to Russell Wilson, but Wilson has a much better arm. Manziel reminds me mostly of Jeff Garcia.

Mariota has one of the best pure arms I've seen. On par with Derek Carr. Mariota and Carr's arms are so strong, they can throw lasers flatfooted. While he may not be elusive as Manziel, he has a better chance to develop into a pure pocket passer. His running will just be a plus.

Oregon has some nice skill players in Barner, Thomas, and Lyerla, but their WR core isn't as strong as A&M's: Swope, Evans, Nwachukwu. Nwachukwu was way underutilized. Guy is a freak athlete. Not sure if you saw his Pro Day Numbers yet: 10'10" BJ, 39.5" vert, 25 reps. Manziel also has two 1st round OTs.

Barner and Thomas are overrated as well. Byron Marshall was their best pure RB.

I'd take Ben Malena, Christine Michael, and Trey Williams over those 3.

I'd say Manziel clearly has the edge in surrounding talent.

I must say I disagree that Mariota is the better prospect. Manziel may have more talent around him, but he is also given more responsibility in that offense. Mariota doesn't have to see the whole field as often. Many times, Mariota is just making reads on one half of the field.

Mariota has a good arm, but it isn't better than Manziel's. Mariota's delivery is a little flat footed and he loses accuracy when pressured, much like Derek Carr. Manziel has a quicker release and even more natural arm talent.

It is too early to say which QB will develop better, but I think Manziel was clearly the superior QB last year. Oregon's offense is not as demanding of its QBs as A&M's (not that either QB is NFL ready, but still), and Manziel has better mechanics and footwork. And I don't view Manziel's huge edge in escapability and throwing on the run as a negative. He will have to learn to make plays in the pocket and deal with a pass rush, but Mariota is untested versus the rush as well.

Don't get me wrong, both Manziel and Mariota are very intriguing prospects to watch, but Manziel, in my opinion, is the superior player and prospect who's success is less determined by his team's offensive system. While both players are part of outstandingly coached offensive teams, Manziel is the QB who stepped up and delivered when his team's talent couldn't simply overwhelm the other team's talent.
Armchair Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Scout View Post
I must say I disagree that Mariota is the better prospect. Manziel may have more talent around him, but he is also given more responsibility in that offense. Mariota doesn't have to see the whole field as often. Many times, Mariota is just making reads on one half of the field.

Mariota has a good arm, but it isn't better than Manziel's. Mariota's delivery is a little flat footed and he loses accuracy when pressured, much like Derek Carr. Manziel has a quicker release and even more natural arm talent.

It is too early to say which QB will develop better, but I think Manziel was clearly the superior QB last year. Oregon's offense is not as demanding of its QBs as A&M's (not that either QB is NFL ready, but still), and Manziel has better mechanics and footwork. And I don't view Manziel's huge edge in escapability and throwing on the run as a negative. He will have to learn to make plays in the pocket and deal with a pass rush, but Mariota is untested versus the rush as well.

Don't get me wrong, both Manziel and Mariota are very intriguing prospects to watch, but Manziel, in my opinion, is the superior player and prospect who's success is less determined by his team's offensive system. While both players are part of outstandingly coached offensive teams, Manziel is the QB who stepped up and delivered when his team's talent couldn't simply overwhelm the other team's talent.
You haven't watched enough of Mariota if you're serious in this post. There's no way Manziel's arm is better than Mariota's. As I said, Mariota throws flatfooted BECAUSE his arm is so strong.

I disagree that that Manziel has better mechanics. Throwing flatfooted isn't necessarily a bad thing when utilizing play-action in the pistol formation and you need to get the ball out quickly. Griffin did a lot of this at Baylor.

Mariota has one of most effortless motions I've seen, whereas Manziel looks to muscle almost every throw and put his whole body into it. How can you say Manziel has more "natural arm talent". He locks up in front leg too often, even on 5-10 yard throws, and spins around on his follow-through. That's how you can tell when a QB is muscling up.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote