Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Yep, why pay younger talent like Goldson $8m a year (or franchise him at $7.5m) when you can pay an old declining Rogers $7m a year on a four year contract that we both know he wont complete?

And you should be happy if I was GM, I would be keeping your favorite defensive player in Goldson. :)
I wouldn't want to keep Goldson around if it meant tanking the rest of the team for his contract demands. I actually understand that the welfare of the entire team is actually a bigger issue. Baalke also understands this and has for the past two seasons.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Sean Smith plays on one side of the field. Carlos Rogers plays all over the field. He plays over the slot, which increases his value tremendously. If Rogers were strictly a outside CB like Smith, he'd be lights out. But I dont expect you to understand that so we'll just agree to disagree and move on. And Rogers didn't have a fluke year, he just caught all the ints he dropped when he was a Redskin. Ask any Skins fan, they'll tell you. Rogers ONLY problem was he couldn't catch the damn ball.
Yup. Rogers was a pretty good cover man with the Redskins. So I'm not sure what all this mumbo jumbo about Rogers having a fluke year is about. Him holding on to the interceptions could be seen as a fluke, but he's always been a decent to good corner.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Yup. Rogers was a pretty good cover man with the Redskins. So I'm not sure what all this mumbo jumbo about Rogers having a fluke year is about. Him holding on to the interceptions could be seen as a fluke, but he's always been a decent to good corner.
I think the point is that he was a little long in the tooth for the contract we signed him to last year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I do watch teams outside of the Niners. In fact, Bengals are one of my secondary teams since im a fan of A.J. Green. Jones has become a good nickelback but he's old, I still wouldnt trust him to not get into trouble and I personally would prefer a younger guy for that role who can get better and evolve into a starter as opposed to Jones to would only evolve out the door in a year or two. Besides, if we were to sign Jones to play nickel, would that be saying that he's better than Rogers who plays nickel? That doesnt sound good to me at all.
He's old? He's 29....won't be 30 til the end of September. I don't want a young guy, manning the slot, making young guy mistakes. We have a young guy in Cox who has been apprenticing over the slot. We need to get a quick, shifty guy over the slot. That's Pac Man. He still has that footspeed. And he is a vet and knows how to play that area of the field. You take Rogers out of the slot and let him play stictly outside and he would own. He's still a very good outside CB. He just doesnt have the footspeed and quickness to hack it in the slot anymore. You improve the slot CB, the whole secondary improves. The outside guys aren't the problem. At least, not in my opinion.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-09-2013 at 12:44 AM.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Sean Smith plays on one side of the field. Carlos Rogers plays all over the field. He plays over the slot, which increases his value tremendously. If Rogers were strictly a outside CB like Smith, he'd be lights out. But I dont expect you to understand that so we'll just agree to disagree and move on. And Rogers didn't have a fluke year, he just caught all the ints he dropped when he was a Redskin. Ask any Skins fan, they'll tell you. Rogers ONLY problem was he couldn't catch the damn ball.
Dont the majority of corners only play on one side of the field? Just because Rogers can play on both outside spots and the slot doesnt mean that he's good, just versitile. Lights out? More times than not, all i ever see is Rogers getting beat for first downs or outplayed in the slot. Is Rogers horrible? No but he's not great either. Still think he's average at best and you talk about his only problem being that he couldnt catch the ball...hmmm, amazing, how he was able to catch the ball in 2011 which allowed him to get a contract that pays him an average of $7m a season but reverts back to his Redskin days in 2012? Seriously, how the hell is that even possible? Either you can catch the ball or you cant.

Quote:
The interceptions is the fluke part and what allowed him to get that four year deal from us. He doesnt get those interceptions in 2011, I seriously doubt that we're even having this conversation right now. And Rogers was good in WSH yet they let him go in favor of Hall, so how good could he be? And decent isnt worth $7m a year.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to keep Goldson around if it meant tanking the rest of the team for his contract demands. I actually understand that the welfare of the entire team is actually a bigger issue. Baalke also understands this and has for the past two seasons.
Okay, so paying Rogers $7m a year isnt hurting the welfare of the team but Goldson who's younger and better $8m a year is? I can see if Goldson wants like $10-12m but $8m for an excellent FS who also happens to be our best player in the secondary is a bargain in my opinion especially when you could just look at teams that have horrible safety play (Eagles come to mind) and how it affects their entire defense as a whole.

Me signing Wallace for $10m+ would hurt the team which I can fully understand but paying Goldson $8m a year instead of paying Rogers $7m a year ago, I dont understand.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Okay, so paying Rogers $7m a year isnt hurting the welfare of the team but Goldson who's younger and better $8m a year is?
I was gong to make this point but I was too lazy

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dont the majority of corners only play on one side of the field? Just because Rogers can play on both outside spots and the slot doesnt mean that he's good, just versitile. Lights out? More times than not, all i ever see is Rogers getting beat for first downs or outplayed in the slot. Is Rogers horrible? No but he's not great either. Still think he's average at best and you talk about his only problem being that he couldnt catch the ball...hmmm, amazing, how he was able to catch the ball in 2011 which allowed him to get a contract that pays him an average of $7m a season but reverts back to his Redskin days in 2012? Seriously, how the hell is that even possible? Either you can catch the ball or you cant.

The interceptions is the fluke part and what allowed him to get that four year deal from us. He doesnt get those interceptions in 2011, I seriously doubt that we're even having this conversation right now. And Rogers was good in WSH yet they let him go in favor of Hall, so how good could he be? And decent isnt worth $7m a year.
Becuase you see what you want to see. Why did he drop ints in DC? According to Rogers, he got Lasik eye surgery or something like that and was able to track the ball better when he came to the Niners. Take it for what its worth. And yes most CBs only play one side of the field. Which is why a CB who can play both inside and outside and can do it at a high level is considered more valuable, which Rogers was. Rogers had a shaky start to the 2012 season but he still finished as our highest rated CB for a second year in a row. I just want to get him off of the slot but like I said, when he matches up on the outside, he's still a very good CB. Even the plays he gives up, like the Boldin pass on the sideline in the Super Bowl, he has to be beat with a perfect throw.

Your talking to a guy who DID NOT want Baalke to re-sign him last year. I thought Goldson should have been more of a priority over a aging CB. But I also understand what Rogers's presence did for the secondary and won't overlook that just to make a point. And we did improve our pass defense with him returning.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-09-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's old? He's 29....won't be 30 til the end of September. I don't want a young guy, manning the slot, making young guy mistakes. We have a young guy in Cox who has been apprenticing over the slot. We need to get a quick, shifty guy over the slot. That's Pac Man. He still has that footspeed. And he is a vet and knows how to play that area of the field. You take Rogers out of the slot and let him play stictly outside and he would own. He's still a very good outside CB. He just doesnt have the footspeed and quickness to hack it in the slot anymore. You improve the slot CB, the whole secondary improves. The outside guys aren't the problem. At least, not in my opinion.
Oh wow!!! You're right about his age. Honestly, I just thought he was older as he was drafted in 2005. Young guys make mistakes but they'll learn from their mistakes and get better to where they wont make those mistakes again. Rogers makes mistakes and in a few Bengals games, Jones made mistakes too. Its not like any of them are perfect. Personally, I think that we need a true shutdown corner who can go one on one with the other team's best receiver and who doesnt need safety help.

To me, it doesnt matter what veteran is in the slot because if they're going against a younger faster slot receiver (see Amendola against Rogers), its not going to matter as the smaller faster guy is going to win more times than not. Having a true shutdown corner is what would make the secondary better because the safety could then help the other corners who are matche dup against other receivers.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want Revis but for a year at $6m (including his roster/workout/reporting bonuses), I would try to trade for him but at the same time, it wouldnt be anything nuts like our first rounder or early second. At most, our late second. Granted, I think that some team will trade more to get him but if not, Jets have no leverage whatsoever. They have to take the best offer that they get so if teams want to be assholes and not play the us against the other team game, they could get Revis for less than what he's worth.

What im really hoping for is trading up for Milliner but the cost would probably be too much so I figure, go after Revis for a year, draft a corner in the third round who can hopefully become a starter in 2014 and the team is good to go. Hell, even with Revis, I would maybe still trty to trade up for Milliner. After all, with 11 draft picks right now and up to 15 or so with compensation picks and if the Smith trade goes through, we're not going to need all those players who most likely wouldnt make it past final cuts anyway so mine as well use some to trade up for Milliner.

I dont see any veterans like Goodwin, Haralson or Rogers going anywhere for at least another year so my thinking would be to trade for Revis if possible, if not, trade up for Milliner with or without Revis. Even if Milliner has to sit on the bench for a year, so be it because after 2013, I would let Brown and Revis walk as UFA's, release Rogers, start Milliner and Culliver, use Cox as the nickelback if we keep him and then draft another cornerbacknext year to play nickel or dime plus keep Brock as the fifth corner.

Granted, thats a lot of draft picks used on one position but at the same time, in a year from now, Rogers, Brown, Cox and Brock could all be gone plus Culliver would be entering the final year of his contract so as bad as it may sound, the future outcome could be much worse.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Becuase you see what you want to see. Why did he drop ints in DC? According to Rogers, he got Lasik eye surgery or something like that and was able to track the ball better when he came to the Niners. Take it for what its worth. And yes most CBs only play one side of the field. Which is why a CB who can play both inside and outside and can do it at a high level is considered more valuable, which Rogers was. Rogers had a shaky start to the 2012 season but he still finished as our highest rated CB for a second year in a row. I just want to get him off of the slot but like I said, when he matches up on the outside, he's still a very good CB. Even the plays he gives up, like the Boldin pass on the sideline in the Super Bowl, he has to be beat with a perfect throw.

Your talking to a guy who DID NOT want Baalke to re-sign him last year. I thought Goldson should have been more of a priority over a aging CB. But I also understand what Rogers's presence did for the secondary and won't overlook that just to make a point. And we did improve our pass defense with him returning.
I understand that Rogers offers more because he can play three positions instead of one but he already declined compared to 2011 and I think that he'll decline again. Our highest rated corner? By who?

Improved pass defense was more because of our pass rush. Notice how once Justin got hurt, Aldon became non-existent and our secondary sucked? I think the pass rush was the reason why our pass defense was better. After all, once our pass rush became non-existent, our secondary got beat time and time again. Letting Goldson leave sure as hell isnt going to improve our secondary unless we get extremely lucky.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Oh wow!!! You're right about his age. Honestly, I just thought he was older as he was drafted in 2005. Young guys make mistakes but they'll learn from their mistakes and get better to where they wont make those mistakes again. Rogers makes mistakes and in a few Bengals games, Jones made mistakes too. Its not like any of them are perfect. Personally, I think that we need a true shutdown corner who can go one on one with the other team's best receiver and who doesnt need safety help.

To me, it doesnt matter what veteran is in the slot because if they're going against a younger faster slot receiver (see Amendola against Rogers), its not going to matter as the smaller faster guy is going to win more times than not. Having a true shutdown corner is what would make the secondary better because the safety could then help the other corners who are matche dup against other receivers.

Dont get me wrong, I dont want Revis but for a year at $6m (including his roster/workout/reporting bonuses), I would try to trade for him but at the same time, it wouldnt be anything nuts like our first rounder or early second. At most, our late second. Granted, I think that some team will trade more to get him but if not, Jets have no leverage whatsoever. They have to take the best offer that they get so if teams want to be assholes and not play the us against the other team game, they could get Revis for less than what he's worth.

What im really hoping for is trading up for Milliner but the cost would probably be too much so I figure, go after Revis for a year, draft a corner in the third round who can hopefully become a starter in 2014 and the team is good to go. Hell, even with Revis, I would maybe still trty to trade up for Milliner. After all, with 11 draft picks right now and up to 15 or so with compensation picks and if the Smith trade goes through, we're not going to need all those players who most likely wouldnt make it past final cuts anyway so mine as well use some to trade up for Milliner.

I dont see any veterans like Goodwin, Haralson or Rogers going anywhere for at least another year so my thinking would be to trade for Revis if possible, if not, trade up for Milliner with or without Revis. Even if Milliner has to sit on the bench for a year, so be it because after 2013, I would let Brown and Revis walk as UFA's, release Rogers, start Milliner and Culliver, use Cox as the nickelback if we keep him and then draft another cornerbacknext year to play nickel or dime plus keep Brock as the fifth corner.

Granted, thats a lot of draft picks used on one position but at the same time, in a year from now, Rogers, Brown, Cox and Brock could all be gone plus Culliver would be entering the final year of his contract so as bad as it may sound, the future outcome could be much worse.
I think Millner and Revis would both be too expensive to obtain, in different ways of course.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
I think Millner and Revis would both be too expensive to obtain, in different ways of course.
Both would cost draft picks but we do have a lot of them and in regards to Revis, the Jets have no leverage. I live in NY and he's as good as gone as he should be since Johnson has no interest in paying him, the team sucks, has no QB, no cap room and will most likely have a new HC next year. Revis has one year left on his contract and while he wants to get his long term deal, I think him going to a SB contender and winning a SB while shutting down his opposition would make him worth more money in 2013 as opposed to what he wants now. If I was Revis and I could go to a team like the 49ers and shutdown half the field for them to where their defense is dominant and help them win the SB, I would be all for it because unless im not recovered form the ACL tear or just suck in 2013, I know that my value and thus price tag in 2013 just went up especially since the 49ers didnt get the job done a year earlier without me but yet, with me they did. If I was Revis, thats what I would be thinking.

As for Milliner, it would cost a lot of picks but we're going to need corners anyway in a year so its not like its avoidable. As for money, Revis would be $6m for one year and gone while Milliner would be under a five year rookie deal which compared to what it used to be is peanuts. Definitely doable but at the same time, highly unlikely.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:

I commend you for trying.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Both would cost draft picks but we do have a lot of them and in regards to Revis, the Jets have no leverage. I live in NY and he's as good as gone as he should be since Johnson has no interest in paying him, the team sucks, has no QB, no cap room and will most likely have a new HC next year. Revis has one year left on his contract and while he wants to get his long term deal, I think him going to a SB contender and winning a SB while shutting down his opposition would make him worth more money in 2013 as opposed to what he wants now. If I was Revis and I could go to a team like the 49ers and shutdown half the field for them to where their defense is dominant and help them win the SB, I would be all for it because unless im not recovered form the ACL tear or just suck in 2013, I know that my value and thus price tag in 2013 just went up especially since the 49ers didnt get the job done a year earlier without me but yet, with me they did. If I was Revis, thats what I would be thinking.

As for Milliner, it would cost a lot of picks but we're going to need corners anyway in a year so its not like its avoidable. As for money, Revis would be $6m for one year and gone while Milliner would be under a five year rookie deal which compared to what it used to be is peanuts. Definitely doable but at the same time, highly unlikely.

Reduced leverage yes but anytime you have multiple teams interested in the same commodity, you have leverage.

I almost don't want Revis for the same reason I wasn't really sold on getting Peyton Manning last year. I don't want it to be about them winning it for us, like we weren't good enough and some other team's star had to come and save the day. I want our Super Bowl win to be about the 49ers not Revis or Manning or somebody like that...

Quote:
Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Dont get me wrong, I dont want Revis but for a year at $6m (including his roster/workout/reporting bonuses), I would try to trade for him but at the same time, it wouldnt be anything nuts like our first rounder or early second. At most, our late second. Granted, I think that some team will trade more to get him but if not, Jets have no leverage whatsoever. They
have to take the best offer that they get so if teams want to be assholes and not play the us against the other team game, they could get Revis for less than what he's worth.

There are a no true shutdown CBs. Even guys like Revis and Sherman have passes completed against them. Your campagining for a shutdown CB, yet you want to sign a guy like Sean Smith long-term, who is nowhere near a shutdown CB. We don't need a shutdown CB. We need someone who isn't 33 years old and past his prime playing such a demanding position such as nickelback. It has nothing to do with age. Younger guys aren't automatically faster. Amendola isn't some young pup. Neither is a guy like Welker, who is arguably the best slot WR ever, yet you coviently leave out what a great job Rogers did against him when we played NE. Playing the slot is more about technique and experience, then it is just speed and quickness. Point blank, its takes time to be productive there because its the most demanding job a CB has, as I've covered ad nauseam in this thread already with you in previous post on this very subject. Which is why most young CB start out on the outside, strictly on one side of the field. Just like Cully, Sherman, Peterson, and all other young CBs. If you noticed, its mostly veterans who they plug inside when offenses go mutiple WRs....because they have a better understanding of the scheme and coverages. Even if we draft Millner, you think Fangio and Donatell puts a rookie over the slot? Don't hold your breathe. Its one of the most important jobs on defense in today's NFL. And not one entrusted to rookies most of the time.

You need guys that fit the position. Players who have experience playing there, but also possess the attributes to continue to excel there. Pac Man fits that mold. So does Brice McCain and a few others. They have the short-area quickenss as well as the gametime reps to come in and contribute right away. We don't need anybody on the outside really. Brown, Cully, and Rogers do a good enough job on the outside.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

I'm fine with our corners, and our secondary for the most part. Although it will be interesting to see what happens at the FS spot with Goldson most likely leaving. Anyways, I'm more concerned with the front seven and more specifically the defensive line. Ricky-Jean Francois is getting interest from some other teams and he'll probably bolt if he gets a good deal and Sopoaga I'm guessing won't be back. That leaves Justin Smith who is getting older along with Ray McDonald as starters. I hope we get someone that can really dictate the middle as I've never really been impressed with Sopoaga at NT. As for the linebacker corps, I just hope we get some more rotation in. I know Haralson was hurt, but I wouldn't even mind if we got another young pass rusher in the draft with one of our early selections. Houston did the same thing this past year selecting Whitney Mercilus who looked good in limited action from what I heard. They weren't just content with Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed on the outside, who are pretty good players themselves I believe. I really don't want to see our guys wearing down towards the end of the year again. Still wondering if Cam Johnson has a future with the franchise.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 03-09-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Reduced leverage yes but anytime you have multiple teams interested in the same commodity, you have leverage.

I almost don't want Revis for the same reason I wasn't really sold on getting Peyton Manning last year. I don't want it to be about them winning it for us, like we weren't good enough and some other team's star had to come and save the day. I want our Super Bowl win to be about the 49ers not Revis or Manning or somebody like that...
True but the Jets dont have as much leverage as you may think because other teams know that the Jets will trade him for draft picks this year or let him walk next year for a 2015 compensation draft pick.

Let's be honest, we obviously werent good enough to win the Super Bowl. Our defense sucked in the first half and decided not to show up until the second half. If it wasnt for Kaepernick and the offense, we would have been blown out instead of even having a chance to win at the end. I dont care if we have to get Revis for one year to win a SB. If acquiring Revis means we'll win the SB, I would definitely try to trade for him. The core isnt going to be around forever so mine as well try to copy our last SB title run.

Quote:
There are a no true shutdown CBs. Even guys like Revis and Sherman have passes completed against them. Your campagining for a shutdown CB, yet you want to sign a guy like Sean Smith long-term, who is nowhere near a shutdown CB. We don't need a shutdown CB. We need someone who isn't 33 years old and past his prime playing such a demanding position such as nickelback. It has nothing to do with age. Younger guys aren't automatically faster. Amendola isn't some young pup. Neither is a guy like Welker, who is arguably the best slot WR ever, yet you coviently leave out what a great job Rogers did against him when we played NE. Playing the slot is more about technique and experience, then it is just speed and quickness. Point blank, its takes time to be productive there because its the most demanding job a CB has, as I've covered ad nauseam in this thread already with you in previous post on this very subject. Which is why most young CB start out on the outside, strictly on one side of the field. Just like Cully, Sherman, Peterson, and all other young CBs. If you noticed, its mostly veterans who they plug inside when offenses go mutiple WRs....because they have a better understanding of the scheme and coverages. Even if we draft Millner, you think Fangio and Donatell puts a rookie over the slot? Don't hold your breathe. Its one of the most important jobs on defense in today's NFL. And not one entrusted to rookies most of the time.

You need guys that fit the position. Players who have experience playing there, but also possess the attributes to continue to excel there. Pac Man fits that mold. So does Brice McCain and a few others. They have the short-area quickenss as well as the gametime reps to come in and contribute right away. We don't need anybody on the outside really. Brown, Cully, and Rogers do a good enough job on the outside.
I never said I wanted Smith. I said I would rather have him now than re-signing Rogers a year ago. Personally, the only CB I truly like is DRC but he'll want too much money so no point.

As for covering the slot, Rogers does good at times but he also does bad at times too. I wanted Richard Marshall last year or even Jason Allen to play nickel but team didnt go after either. They were too intent on keeping Rogers. Rogers isnt horrible but he's not great either either. Him being able to play outside and inside is the only reason why he's of any value. If he couldnt play the slot, he would be gone already.

I like Culliver as one of our starting corners on the outside. Would love to see us draft Milliner to start opposite him. Team is too intent on keeping the "older" guys rather than the younger guys which makes no sense to me because the younger guys have far more upside and potential where as the older guys arent going to get any better than what they already are.

Quote:
I'm fine with our corners, and our secondary for the most part. Although it will be interesting to see what happens at the FS spot with Goldson most likely leaving. Anyways, I'm more concerned with the front seven and more specifically the defensive line. Ricky-Jean Francois is getting interest from some other teams and he'll probably bolt if he gets a good deal and Sopoaga I'm guessing won't be back. That leaves Justin Smith who is getting older along with Ray McDonald as starters. I hope we get someone that can really dictate the middle as I've never really been impressed with Sopoaga at NT. As for the linebacker corps, I just hope we get some more rotation in. I know Haralson was hurt, but I wouldn't even mind if we got another young pass rusher in the draft with one of our early selections. Houston did the same thing this past year selecting Whitney Mercilus who looked good in limited action from what I heard. They weren't just content with Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed on the outside, who are pretty good players themselves I believe. I really don't want to see our guys wearing down towards the end of the year again. Still wondering if Cam Johnson has a future with the franchise.
I think that we'll re-sign Sopoaga. Team prefers to keep the older guys than the younger ones so keeping Sopoaga over Jean Francois wouldnt surprise me at all.

Draft wise, definitely want a future DE to replace Smith and another pass rusher.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Justone2
Veteran

Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Justone2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The reason why teams mostly keep older players is because they want more manageble contracts. Look at the guys that get cut its almost always older guys because they free up a good chunk of money while the younger guys want there money more spread and that makes it harder to manage the cap. Rogers i believe is pretty cheap to cut after this year while Goldson would at least have 4/5 years where you basically can't cut him without cutting your fingers. It all has to do with the cap. It's not like you sign a guy and he only counts for this year. Most contracts will take more cap room in the coming years which makes it more difficult in those years to manage. Offcourse there is a chance the cap rises and you have more space but its smart management when you have the control in you own hands and look to the future with contracts you sign.
Justone2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Norcal3518
Rookie

Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am praying that the niners draft Tyrann Matheiu. IMO his biggest strength is lining up at nickel and thats what the niners need. The kid is a ball hawk and possesses the best ball skills out of all the DBs in this draft.
Norcal3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal3518 View Post
I am praying that the niners draft Tyrann Matheiu. IMO his biggest strength is lining up at nickel and thats what the niners need. The kid is a ball hawk and possesses the best ball skills out of all the DBs in this draft.
I am really hoping for Matheiu too we will see.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

People still watching Mathieu's LSU highlights? That kid is going to struggle at the next level mark my words. And Baalke would never draft a 5'8, 180 lbs CB. Won't happen, thank god.

And **** me, Bills just re-signed McKelvin. More than what I expected him to sign for but still, I tbought he would have been a nice guy to pair with Cully long-term, not to mention his return ability.

And Moore just re-signed with the Falcons for around 6 mil a season. One less safety on the market for Goldson to contend with. Stay tuned.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 03-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justone2 View Post
The reason why teams mostly keep older players is because they want more manageble contracts. Look at the guys that get cut its almost always older guys because they free up a good chunk of money while the younger guys want there money more spread and that makes it harder to manage the cap. Rogers i believe is pretty cheap to cut after this year while Goldson would at least have 4/5 years where you basically can't cut him without cutting your fingers. It all has to do with the cap. It's not like you sign a guy and he only counts for this year. Most contracts will take more cap room in the coming years which makes it more difficult in those years to manage. Offcourse there is a chance the cap rises and you have more space but its smart management when you have the control in you own hands and look to the future with contracts you sign.
Rogers has higher base salaries after 2013 but his guaranteed money should be paid off but here's the real difference - instead of spending $7m a year on a (then) 30 year old CB, that money could have been put towards keeping Goldson who's three years younger and in my opinion, a far more important piece of the secondary. If the 49ers would have let Rogers walk, they could have put that $29.3m four year contract towards Goldson. A four year deal at $8m a season would have been $32m. For less than $3m more, keeping Goldson would have been the better move. Its easier to replace a CB than it is safety, especially a good one.

Look at the Eagles since they let Dawkins leave - enough said. Goldson could have been given pretty much the same contract with the only difference being a higher signing bonus. You put the signing bonus early with higher base salaries and no guaranteed money later so that way, you can release the player without any cap penalty if the player declines.

To me, the team decided to re-sign Rogers last year knowing they were going to let Goldson leave this year. To me, thats a business and management decision. People here will probably disagree with me but you always keep the younger player because he'll have more upside and potential where as the veteran is what he is and isnt going to get any better, in fact, veterans normally decline after they get their contract. Rogers is no different and when he declines more in 2013 and is released in a year from now, people will understand why I prefer to keep the younger guy.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal3518 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I am really hoping for Matheiu too we will see.
Quote:
People still watching Mathieu's LSU highlights? That kid is going to struggle at the next level mark my words. And Baalke would never draft a 5'8, 180 lbs CB. Won't happen, thank god.

And **** me, Bills just re-signed McKelvin. More than what I expected him to sign for but still, I tbought he would have been a nice guy to pair with Cully long-term, not to mention his return ability.

And Moore just re-signed with the Falcons for around 6 mil a season. One less safety on the market for Goldson to contend with. Stay tuned.
I would love Mathieu for a 4th rounder or later. His ability to force turnovers is worth the risk and gamble in my opinion.

Not surprised the Bills re-signed McKelvin. He would have been good but I prefer a starting CB who DOESNT return kicks/punts because if he gets injured, you're basically screwed at two or three different positions. Also, im not a fan of a starter being a returner. Never have been, never will be.

Hopefully, we can get Kenny Phillips to replace Goldson and he can stay healthy.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't know it was possible to beat a dead horse more than this. Jesus H. Dan.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't know it was possible to beat a dead horse more than this. Jesus H. Dan.
I feel as though this is said more than once a year in here.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

I'm not forcing anyone to reply to my posts. There are others here who complain about something or another so if I want to complain about Rogers, I can and will.