Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
I saw an article that said the Cowboys have a heavy interest in Vacarro. Guess I need to come to grips with the idea of him as the teams 1st pick.
I saw that too, I honestly don't think he'll be there anyway. Anything can happen but a bunch of teams needing a Safety pick before us. Though the fact that we need a Safety so bad may push him up our board which I don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mayock thinks Jarvis is best suited in a 4-3 ala Von Miller.

Not a bad idea but also not smart for the Cowboys. His talent won't be maximized as a SLB in Kiffin's scheme and with Ware & Spencer playing DE in passing situations there isn't really a place for him.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I saw that too, I honestly don't think he'll be there anyway. Anything can happen but a bunch of teams needing a Safety pick before us. Though the fact that we need a Safety so bad may push him up our board which I don't like.
Much will change after free agency opens up on Tuesday but as of right now I agree with you.

The Rams have now cut both safeties.

People have been identifying the Titans as a landing spot for Vacarro but win Griffin and George Wilson, they really don't have to.

If a team loves Vacarro they could always move up for him as well.

It'll be interesting to see where Landry, Phillips, and a couple of the other guys go to see what teams try and address the position before the draft.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I sure hope not. This draft is deep with Safetys. OL or DL only I hope
OL class is equally just as deep and probably deeper than the safety class.

The interior line will have starters into the 3rd round. Perfect example is Barrett Jones. Most have him pegged somewhere in the 3rd. Day 1 starter for plenty of teams.

I do believe if Vacarro is off the board, the Cowboys can afford to trade back 5 spots or so and still get their next highest rated safety.

But if Vacarro goes early, it'll be risky to wait into the 2nd round to get a day 1 starter at that position. SF and NE both need safeties and could easily snatch up the next best guys at the end of the 1st.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The interior line will have starters into the 3rd round. Perfect example is Barrett Jones. Most have him pegged somewhere in the 3rd. Day 1 starter for plenty of teams.

I do believe if Vacarro is off the board, the Cowboys can afford to trade back 5 spots or so and still get their next highest rated safety.

But if Vacarro goes early, it'll be risky to wait into the 2nd round to get a day 1 starter at that position. SF and NE both need safeties and could easily snatch up the next best guys at the end of the 1st.
san francisco is probably gonna move up in the draft, they have some premium picks 31 and 34 and with the compensatory selections plus other picks they have from trades from other teams their probably gonna have around 13 selections. they probably don't even have more than 5 spots available on their roster so it more likely move up to draft.

i actually used a trade value chart to map out a trade we send the 18th pick for the 34th, 63rd, their 4th, 6th and 7th. they still have picks earlier in rounds 3,5,6,7 from trades plus the 30th overall pick which they could flip for 1 next year, a 2 this year and a mid round pick or two like the patriots have done for years.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
good chance new orleans might take him though too, with rob and his ultra complicated scheme, vacarro's versatility combined along with malcolm jenkins would be a welcome sight to the big belly in the bayou

Quote:

san francisco is probably gonna move up in the draft, they have some premium picks 31 and 34 and with the compensatory selections plus other picks they have from trades from other teams their probably gonna have around 13 selections. they probably don't even have more than 5 spots available on their roster so it more likely move up to draft.

i actually used a trade value chart to map out a trade we send the 18th pick for the 34th, 63rd, their 4th, 6th and 7th. they still have picks earlier in rounds 3,5,6,7 from trades plus the 30th overall pick which they could flip for 1 next year, a 2 this year and a mid round pick or two like the patriots have done for years.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Scott is flying up draft boards, so much for the 4th round. He's a Day 2 pick now, somewhere in the 2nd/3rd. Out of curiousity, what is the earliest you guys would take a QB that you really liked? All things considered...

Remember Romo hasn't signed an extension just yet, and while we would be missing a chance to improve the team with an impact player it could set us up 10 years after Romo is gone, and gives whatever QB we take a good environment to come in and learn.

I'd take one in the 2nd if we loved him. We aren't winning the SB in the next 3 years anyway, if we found a franchise guy though we could potentially save money extending Romo, or have a back-up plan at least. I don't want to go into one off-season where we have no choice but to grab a QB and are forced taking one in the 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Matt Scott is flying up draft boards, so much for the 4th round. He's a Day 2 pick now, somewhere in the 2nd/3rd. Out of curiousity, what is the earliest you guys would take a QB that you really liked? All things considered...

Remember Romo hasn't signed an extension just yet, and while we would be missing a chance to improve the team with an impact player it could set us up 10 years after Romo is gone, and gives whatever QB we take a good environment to come in and learn.

I'd take one in the 2nd if we loved him. We aren't winning the SB in the next 3 years anyway, if we found a franchise guy though we could potentially save money extending Romo, or have a back-up plan at least. I don't want to go into one off-season where we have no choice but to grab a QB and are forced taking one in the 1st.
Meh we have far too many holes to draft a QB in the second but I believe in following the board.

Personally I'd lock out the QB spot for the first two rounds entirely but starting with the third if an immense value presented I'd be curious. Keep in mind how predictable Dallas is when developing QBs.

We have our franchise QB in Romo whom we'll lock up to a major deal before training camp. We have a reliable veteran backup in Orton. The only thing missing from the standard Dallas way of life is a mid-to-late round developmental QB.

I don't buy Matt Scott as a 2nd day pick but his stock is certainly soaring. One prospect that pretty much fits the mold for developmental QB would be Landry Jones from Oklahoma. I think he'll end up going in the third but if he were to last until our 4th rounder I would not be shocked to see him taken.

I'm still a fan of numerous late-rounders in this draft. Gimme Sean Renfree (Duke), Jeff Tuel (WSU), or Alex Carder (WMU) before IMHO reaching for a QB in the early rounds.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Meh we have far too many holes to draft a QB in the second but I believe in following the board.

Personally I'd lock out the QB spot for the first two rounds entirely but starting with the third if an immense value presented I'd be curious. Keep in mind how predictable Dallas is when developing QBs.

We have our franchise QB in Romo whom we'll lock up to a major deal before training camp. We have a reliable veteran backup in Orton. The only thing missing from the standard Dallas way of life is a mid-to-late round developmental QB.

I don't buy Matt Scott as a 2nd day pick but his stock is certainly soaring. One prospect that pretty much fits the mold for developmental QB would be Landry Jones from Oklahoma. I think he'll end up going in the third but if he were to last until our 4th rounder I would not be shocked to see him taken.

I'm still a fan of numerous late-rounders in this draft. Gimme Sean Renfree (Duke), Jeff Tuel (WSU), or Alex Carder (WMU) before IMHO reaching for a QB in the early rounds.
i really the idea of sean renfree on day3, any qb that can lead to duke to a bowl game in football should definitely get draft consideration

i think the cowboys need to build up the talent level of the team as much as possible and then when romo's ready to go out to the pasture and retire trade up and land yourself a top flight young signal caller in the draft to be the franchise qb
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Garretts job is on the line. He cant pick a QB IMO

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
good chance new orleans might take him though too, with rob and his ultra complicated scheme, vacarro's versatility combined along with malcolm jenkins would be a welcome sight to the big belly in the bayou

They could if they see someone they like but picking at 31&34 is nothing to scoff at.

It's possible they have guys they want sitting in that range. With a stacked O-line and offense in general, a great defense, and some guys like AJ Jenkins who haven't even been out on the field yet it's scary to think what they may do.

SF could use a safety to replace Goldson, they could probably use a DE with Justin Smith getting old and looking like a completely different player after his injury and Ricky Jean-Francis possibly moving on. They could also use a CB.

Realistically, the could get a top 3 Safety and a top 3 or 4 CB just staying put with their picks. They're in a great position.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting thoughts by Broaddus:

Quote:
@BryanBroaddus: “@Keith_O87: Tayvon Austin, if he makes it to Dallas' pick in the 2nd round do they take him?” Should take him at 18.
Quote:
@BryanBroaddus: “@TexasTopDog: @BryanBroaddus You seriously would pick Austin with our 1st rounder ?” I believe I just did.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I am thankful that Broaddus is not responsible for working in an organization.

Dez, Miles, Coale, Harris, and Beasley. Add in the fact that the 3rd WR is the 5th option in our offense (Witten and RB both will receive more targets) and Broaddus just makes himself look stupid IMHO.

If we had cut Miles rather than restructure I might put a little more value in the theory. The restructure means Miles will be around at least another 2 years.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
They could if they see someone they like but picking at 31&34 is nothing to scoff at.

It's possible they have guys they want sitting in that range. With a stacked O-line and offense in general, a great defense, and some guys like AJ Jenkins who haven't even been out on the field yet it's scary to think what they may do.

SF could use a safety to replace Goldson, they could probably use a DE with Justin Smith getting old and looking like a completely different player after his injury and Ricky Jean-Francis possibly moving on. They could also use a CB.

Realistically, the could get a top 3 Safety and a top 3 or 4 CB just staying put with their picks. They're in a great position.
like i said before they have way too many picks. they still have 10 now that just traded for boldin and will probably receive a couple more compensatory picks. you're just going to end up drafting players in rounds 3-7 that you end up cutting because you simply don't have room on the roster. this where you use your picks like currency instead of waiting on who's available move up to get the player you WANT and you should still keep the 31st pick and flip it to a bad team that trading up to get a qb or whoever and possibly get top 10 pick next years draft.

there is no point for a team as loaded as the niners to draft 12 or 13 players. at the end of day would you rather draft 12 guys and cut 7 or 8 of them anyway or move up get the player you covet and draft only 8 players but still stash picks for next years draft including a possible top 10 pick for next the year? this isn't any crazy idea, i've multiple analysts say this, trading up would be the best way to maximize their picks

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 03-11-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Dez, Miles, Coale, Harris, and Beasley. Add in the fact that the 3rd WR is the 5th option in our offense (Witten and RB both will receive more targets) and Broaddus just makes himself look stupid IMHO.

If we had cut Miles rather than restructure I might put a little more value in the theory. The restructure means Miles will be around at least another 2 years.
Stupid?

What if Austin is a better more level headed version of desean jackson?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Stupid?

What if Austin is a better more level headed version of desean jackson?
i thinks its a moot point anyway b/c the only way were getting austin is if we take him at 18. the reality is he's the top offensive playmaker in this draft, he's not falling to us. but i wouldn't mind seeing him in cowboy uniform tho
Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Tavon Austin is going to change how teams value slot receivers.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I think Tavon Austin is going to change how teams value slot receivers.
i think percy harvin, victor cruz and wes welker already did that, he's just reaping the benefits
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
like i said before they have way too many picks. they still have 10 now that just traded for boldin and will probably receive a couple more compensatory picks. you're just going to end up drafting players in rounds 3-7 that you end up cutting because you simply don't have room on the roster. this where you use your picks like currency instead of waiting on who's available move up to get the player you WANT and you should still keep the 31st pick and flip it to a bad team that trading up to get a qb or whoever and possibly get top 10 pick next years draft.

there is no point for a team as loaded as the niners to draft 12 or 13 players. at the end of day would you rather draft 12 guys and cut 7 or 8 of them anyway or move up get the player you covet and draft only 8 players but still stash picks for next years draft including a possible top 10 pick for next the year? this isn't any crazy idea, i've multiple analysts say this, trading up would be the best way to maximize their picks
They may parlay some of the other picks to move up into the middle rounds but you're acting like its a guarantee they move up in the 1st round, which simply isn't true.

They could be perfectly content with the player they're going to get at 31&34.

It's not like they can attach a late round pick and move up in the first round.

They'd have to attach something valuable, say a 3rd or 4th (which will both be at the end of those respective rounds) just to move up a few slots in the first.

Now, would they rather deplete themselves of mid round picks to take a shot at a guy in the first? or would they rather get quality picks at 31&34, maybe even the player they had targeted, and try to combine some of the later picks to get a few extra in the 3rd and 4th.

we'll see what happens. It makes more sense for them to create value in the middle rounds than to land 1 guy early and have a bunch of 5th, 6th, 7ths left over that don't stand a chance IMO.

I'd rather have 31&34, my 2nd, upgrade my 3rd and upgrade my 4th.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-11-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:

I agree, not because I don't like Austin as a talent, but because of what you said which is the priority on the team.

For starters, if Romo cant succeed with Dez, Witten, Austin, DeMarco, and whatever contributions he gets from Harris or Hannah -- then this team has a much bigger issue than 3rd WR.

It needs a new QB.

Failure to address S/OL/DL in favor of a skill position player on a team that already has plenty of talent at the skill positions is ridiculous.

Witten just set an NFL record for catches by a TE. Plenty of gas in his tank. Dez is just starting to hit his potential. And if Austin can get his hamstrings right, he's one of the most dangerous #2's in the league.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i think percy harvin, victor cruz and wes welker already did that, he's just reaping the benefits
Teams are still afraid to use a 1st round pick on them, much less a high 1st rounder.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
They may parlay some of the other picks to move up into the middle rounds but you're acting like its a guarantee they move up in the 1st round, which simply isn't true.

They could be perfectly content with the player they're going to get at 31&34.

It's not like they can attach a late round pick and move up in the first round.

They'd have to attach something valuable, say a 3rd or 4th (which will both be at the end of those respective rounds) just to move up a few slots in the first.

Now, would they rather deplete themselves of mid round picks to take a shot at a guy in the first? or would they rather get quality picks at 31&34, maybe even the player they had targeted, and try to combine some of the later picks to get a few extra in the 3rd and 4th.

we'll see what happens. It makes more sense for them to create value in the middle rounds than to land 1 guy early and have a bunch of 5th, 6th, 7ths left over that don't stand a chance IMO.

I'd rather have 31&34, my 2nd, upgrade my 3rd and upgrade my 4th.
once again you're not reading in full what i said, giving up a 2,4,6,7 doesn't deplete them because they have picks from other teams earlier than theirs in rounds 2,3,5,6,7 plus compensatory selections. they would be silly to use all those picks because more than half of those players won't make the team. if im trent balke and jim harbaugh and i have all those picks plus power picks like the 31st pick which is premium that often will get traded to team early in the second moving up to make they get the player they want, i wouldn't just sit there and make all those, you'd basically be giving away 3rd,4th,5th round picks to other teams after training camp.

look at the how the patriots continually manipulated the draft process. they always had a bunch, but you never saw them use all of the picks.

its just common sense if you're armed to the teeth with that many picks to move up and get a player that can help get you over the top.you're not gonna be able to maneuver that much in the middle rounds its less time to make deals and once you get in those mid rounds teams are going to be less likely to move around because the value of the picks lessens. plus it wouldn't make sense to trade away three mid round picks to get another mid round pick.

there is no harm in trading away the second to last pick in the 2nd 4th 6th 7th when you have draft picks earlier in those rounds anyway

its better to get great with a first rounder who can help propel you over the top than value in a 3rd round pick who will barely play

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 03-11-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Reports are that Matt Elam had an extremely good pro day. He's a guy I'm really rooting for in this class.

I think he's worthy of a 1st round pick but also wouldn't be shocked if he slips a little because of his height. I believe he's just under 5'9" which is concerning considering the size of TE's these days but he's a beast in the run game, takes great angles, makes a ton of plays behind the LOS, has the versatility to play both safety positions and work the slot if needed.

If Elam was 6'0" I really believe he'd be viewed as the top safety in the class. Would love to have him, but as I've said for awhile, I really just have a feeling this is a guy the Patriots will scoop up.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Reports are that Matt Elam had an extremely good pro day. He's a guy I'm really rooting for in this class.

I think he's worthy of a 1st round pick but also wouldn't be shocked if he slips a little because of his height. I believe he's just under 5'9" which is concerning considering the size of TE's these days but he's a beast in the run game, takes great angles, makes a ton of plays behind the LOS, has the versatility to play both safety positions and work the slot if needed.

If Elam was 6'0" I really believe he'd be viewed as the top safety in the class. Would love to have him, but as I've said for awhile, I really just have a feeling this is a guy the Patriots will scoop up.
I see what you like about him, he has good athleticism flies to the ball and isn't afraid to lay a hit. I read comments on the proday and it said that he caught the ball as well which is a plus since he would be asked to attack the ball in zone coverage. I'm not concerned about the height personally but I agree that teams will take that into consideration. I'm not sure he has the hips to matchup against wideouts and he will be a mismatch if asked to man up against tightends. For those reasons he is clearly behind Vaccaro and Cyprien on most boards.

Personally, if the team is a fan of his skill set I would rather them pass in favor of Shamarko Thomas. Thomas isn't quite as polished yet but is a very similar player should be available in the 3-4 round. Thomas is the better athlete of the two running in the low 4.4 's with a 40 inch vert and 28 reps on the bench. I think he is the sleeper safety of this draft and has Bob Sanders type potential.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
@AdamSchefter: Former Bills G Andy Levitre has reached agreement in principle with the Titans on 5-year, $39 million deal.
Good news for us, that should push Cooper/Warmack further down the board and hopefully to us.