Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So a couple new thoughts as the draft draws slightly nearer.

I've warmed up to the idea of a first round WR. Our scheme absolutely requires 3 very good WRs. While you could say we have that with Nelson, Jones and Cobb if one of those guys gets injured, especially Cobb, our offense could quickly skid to a halt. Probably my three favorites, in order, are Keenan Allen, Aaron Dobson or Quinton Patton. I'd be somewhat annoyed if we picked one of the latter two in the first, however; I'd rather wait until our 2nd pick and take one there. Allen would be worth a first.

I strongly dislike the thought of a space-eating NT with our first pick. It's a waste of a first rounder, imo. Unless you're getting a NT with a unique ability, which I don't think Jenkins or Hankins have, you're better of waiting until middle rounds. If we draft one of those guys, at BEST they'll be a marginal rotation player this year. Not exactly what we need.

I still think a play-making MLB would be a fantastic choice (I've already professed my love for Arthur Brown and I'd love Ogletree even more if TT looked past the concerns.) However, a Minter or Te'eo would make me question why we didn't just resign Jones as those two share a lot of his strengths and weaknesses.

OLine would be a weird choice, I think. Have to imagine we're locked in with a line of Newhouse, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Bulaga with potentially Barclay and Sherrod pushing for a position. I don't know where you really upgrade there; sure, you can go LT but assuming Lane Johnson is gone you're only option is Armstead and he's not going to be an improvement over Newhouse this year, although his upside is great. Obviously if Warmack or Cooper fell you probably would pull the trigger in about .0005 seconds, as it'd give you an immediate upgrade over Lang and a much deeper OLine group; but that ain't gunna happen.

Looks like we'll give Finley one more year, which is a good call in my opinion.

Safety is an option that I'm not totally against. McMillian has some potential but really, you probably would expect Elam or Cyprien to give you at least what McMillian does immediately with a lot more upside.

OLB could be a wild card pick. I loved the Perry pick and still have hopes there, but there is some serious 3-4 OLB talent in this draft and if a guy like Mingo or Moore is sitting there at our pick I could see us pulling the trigger and working out a rotation to maximize pass rush.

CB would be a crazy pick and make me cry. Holy beejeez are we deep at corner.

HB in the first would make me cry, also. Who the heck is worth a first here? I wouldn't mind Montee Ball or Lacy in the second, or even better, the third. Even better, how about Marcus "I would have been a top 10 pick if not for my ACL" Lattimore in the 5th?

Overall I'm rooting for a playmaking MLB, Jonathan Cooper, Cyprien or Patterson/Allen in the first. I could learn to be happy with Damontre Moore or any of the other flashly OLB prospects that could fall to us.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote