Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Osheaga lineup this year is absolutely insane. After seeing Rush and BB King at Bluefest, I'll get to see Mumford, The Lumineers, Flogging Molly, Explosions in the Sky, Gaslight Anthem, Father John Misty, Jimmy Eat World, Frightened Rabbit, The Head and the Heart, The Heavy, Frank Turner and just for shits and giggles, The Cure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
The Osheaga lineup this year is absolutely insane. After seeing Rush and BB King at Bluefest, I'll get to see Mumford, The Lumineers, Flogging Molly, Explosions in the Sky, Gaslight Anthem, Father John Misty, Jimmy Eat World, Frightened Rabbit, The Head and the Heart, The Heavy, Frank Turner and just for shits and giggles, The Cure.
That's a great lineup, sans Explosions in the Sky. They are ******* terrible live. Unless you like falling asleep.

Even worse than Iron and Wine.

Chill music just does not make for good concert going experiences. Unless you are talking orchestras, which is a whole different type of concert experience.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That sounds like an incredible festival, APS.

If you have some sort of emotional attachment to the music, "chill music" is great live. I wouldn't venture to say exciting, but I get just as much appreciation watching more laid back music as intense, dynamic music. Sure you aren't dancing around like crazy and being rowdy, but sometimes being able to sing along, swaying back and forth, can be just as compelling as a mosh scene, IMO. I haven't seen either of Explosions in the Sky or Iron & Wine, but I know I'd get plenty of enjoyment out of their shows. Two of my friends went to an Explosions in the Sky show about two years ago and still talk about it.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All of this SXSW talk really gets me pumped for Roo, and makes me want to do SXSW so much. Quite jealous of you guys right now, hope you have a great time.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
All of this SXSW talk really gets me pumped for Roo, and makes me want to do SXSW so much. Quite jealous of you guys right now, hope you have a great time.
I seriously drank too much last night. I'm too old to do that on a Monday night, or any night, really.

One party I was at last night had an open bar with these drinks.

Good lord. Delicious and potent, along with good food.

And eagles, the music part hasn't even started yet. It's all interactive until Wednesday. Then the music part really starts (still plenty of music right now).

The free parties are where it's at, IMO.

BTW, if anyone can get me into see this show: Prince at a bar that holds 1300 people.

I have lived here for 15 years and SXSW has grown from unsigned bands to the giant music, movie, and interactive festival that it is today where the entire city is overrun by east coast and west coast hipsters, musicians and startup geeks.

Crazy what it's turned into. Lots of fun. Lots of free parties. A wristband is completely worthless at this point. And badges are a billion dollars (approximately, seriously, like $1000).
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I want to do SXSW sometime in the next few years, simply because I imagine the scene and the entire atmosphere is a little bit different from Bonnaroo. Bonnaroo is one big carnival/festival/concert and from what I've gather SXSW is a conglomerate of smaller bar parties/concerts. With it being in Austin, there has got to be a lot of different bars and other type of places to go to, rather than going to a vendor or back to your campsite at Roo. With SXSW being such a big thing I like the idea of being able to go to different places and seeing different acts. But with the territory comes greater expenses. If I ever am looking to have a big music/good/time/party vacation, it'll be SXSW, it seems like a different type of party than Roo. Lots of smaller parties rather than one big one.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
I want to do SXSW sometime in the next few years, simply because I imagine the scene and the entire atmosphere is a little bit different from Bonnaroo. Bonnaroo is one big carnival/festival/concert and from what I've gather SXSW is a conglomerate of smaller bar parties/concerts. With it being in Austin, there has got to be a lot of different bars and other type of places to go to, rather than going to a vendor or back to your campsite at Roo. With SXSW being such a big thing I like the idea of being able to go to different places and seeing different acts. But with the territory comes greater expenses. If I ever am looking to have a big music/good/time/party vacation, it'll be SXSW, it seems like a different type of party than Roo. Lots of smaller parties rather than one big one.
Completely and utterly different than Roo.

1) Very very corporate now. Parties are all sponsored by big giant companies and startups that want to be big giant companies.
2) During interactive, you can just sign up for a bunch of free parties and bounce around. The cool ones you typically need to be invited to to see the big name acts.
3) During music, a wristband is almost a complete waste of money. Badges are expensive, but they get you in. Wristbands get you into often very long lines. There are still plenty of bars with bands that aren't officially part of SXSW and they don't require any of that crap.
4) Eventbrite is your friend.
5) The free show every year is a cool outdoor concert with around 15k-20k attendees. This year it's the Flaming Lips. Usually a big name act is brought in for the free show. Last year I think it was JayZ.
6) There are always a bunch of secret shows where big names will perform for small audiences. It's always a game to try and find those shows. They will operate under a pseudonym and the people in the know don't leak it because they want to make it in.

It's fun, but I've been there and done that, and I usually leave town during this week since it's a huge PITA to get around.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Completely and utterly different than Roo.

1) Very very corporate now. Parties are all sponsored by big giant companies and startups that want to be big giant companies.
2) During interactive, you can just sign up for a bunch of free parties and bounce around. The cool ones you typically need to be invited to to see the big name acts.
3) During music, a wristband is almost a complete waste of money. Badges are expensive, but they get you in. Wristbands get you into often very long lines. There are still plenty of bars with bands that aren't officially part of SXSW and they don't require any of that crap.
4) Eventbrite is your friend.
5) The free show every year is a cool outdoor concert with around 15k-20k attendees. This year it's the Flaming Lips. Usually a big name act is brought in for the free show. Last year I think it was JayZ.
6) There are always a bunch of secret shows where big names will perform for small audiences. It's always a game to try and find those shows. They will operate under a pseudonym and the people in the know don't leak it because they want to make it in.

It's fun, but I've been there and done that, and I usually leave town during this week since it's a huge PITA to get around.
Everything nowadays is incorporated, even Roo is developing "business partnerships", but this is to be expected. I like the idea of searching out to find the people you want to see, and I'd probably be shelling out the bucks for a badge. I'd probably have a blast the entire time. A whole bunch of people there to listen to music get drunk and party around with. Definitely sounds like a great time.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Everything nowadays is incorporated, even Roo is developing "business partnerships", but this is to be expected. I like the idea of searching out to find the people you want to see, and I'd probably be shelling out the bucks for a badge. I'd probably have a blast the entire time. A whole bunch of people there to listen to music get drunk and party around with. Definitely sounds like a great time.
From the discussion that we've had on here, you would enjoy it thoroughly. Most people don't stop partying until 4 or 5 am.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM    (permalink
BucSquad
Veteran

BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I don't know of anyone who genuinely hates Justin Timberlake; only people that pretend to. Streaming his album on iTunes for free right now.
I enjoyed the album a bunch.
BucSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://2mellomakes.bandcamp.com/album/chrono-jigga

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

This is going to be a really random post in terms, but that's how my day has been. For you bluegrass fans, I just found out about The Devil Makes Three, and they make some really good music. This song has a bit of a more straightforward bluesy feel to it, but the rest of their music is incredible as well.

This next group is two sax players and a drummer, called Moon Hooch. They are so damn funky, like funky beyond belief, funky. Real cool music, and in their videos I can find they look like fun to watch. Just funk on top of funk on top of funk and I dig it.
Here's one of their videos

I can't find too much of them, but here is where most of their music can be found, or with a few clicks, anyway.
http://moonhooch.bandcamp.com/

Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't hate him personally or as a musician. He seems like a nice guy, easy to get along with, but I don't understand the people who say he's one of the best living musicians/most talented actors, etc. He is an awful actor and just another pop "musician", but hey that **** gets you Grammys, and I don't have one, so who am I to judge too harshly?
He's neither of those things, just an incredibly talented person as a whole. The guy can do it all while increasing his likeability along the way. Plus he can get any single girl he wants, and he settles with one of the best cool/hot combinations of all time with Jessica Biel. He's damn near flawless if you were to 1-10 him on every category of life.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Having only been here for a day now, and a fairly light music day at that, SXSW is no comparable to Bonnaroo. The setting is obviously different (ie, farm vs city) and the entire environment is nowhere near the same. Today I got to see Akron/Family, Anamanaguchi, and The Hood Internet, and some country acts, as well as drink a ton, and it is just rad as all hell. I'll try to keep posting about it throughout the week, but no promises. I recommend you try to get down here at some point, EatW.

I want to see Prince so bad.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
He's neither of those things, just an incredibly talented person as a whole. The guy can do it all while increasing his likeability along the way. Plus he can get any single girl he wants, and he settles with one of the best cool/hot combinations of all time with Jessica Biel. He's damn near flawless if you were to 1-10 him on every category of life.
Like I said, I've got no problems with him. In terms of "celebrities", he's probably one of the first truly big names I'd enjoy talking with and hanging out with. He is very enigmatic, despite still seeming very down to earth, but he is not a talented actor, IMO, he's another crossover artist that should've stuck with his original profession. That being said, he isn't worse than most of the actors Hollywood trots out in front of us anymore. I'm not a huge fan of his music, its just generic hip-hop/pop to me, but I don't let my opinion of him as an artist get in the way of my opinion of him as a person. The guy is funny as ****, has an interesting sense of humor, and is a Hollywood guy who isn't anywhere close to an asshole. He's a cool, laid-back celebrity, and I respect him for those reasons, just not his music or acting, that's just my personal preference though.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2053 View Post
Having only been here for a day now, and a fairly light music day at that, SXSW is no comparable to Bonnaroo. The setting is obviously different (ie, farm vs city) and the entire environment is nowhere near the same. Today I got to see Akron/Family, Anamanaguchi, and The Hood Internet, and some country acts, as well as drink a ton, and it is just rad as all hell. I'll try to keep posting about it throughout the week, but no promises. I recommend you try to get down here at some point, EatW.

Damn. I love Akron/Family. Had no idea they'd be here.

Having a job and also attending the sxsw interactive sessions makes for long days.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:

I've been talking to my buddy about possibly doing SXSW (after the talk of it on here) sometime in the next few years and he brought up Glastonbury. Those are two I am putting on the bucket list, so to speak. SXSW seems more feasible earlier for me, and I can't wait. Its probably about two years away from being possible for me, but I'm already starting to check out what I should expect in terms of prices for ticket options, hotel accommodations, plane tickets, and such. The big variable I'll have to try to narrow down is alcohol. The thing at Roo is if you are friendly with your neighbor, they'll just offer up free anything most of the time, with that type of setting, I'd imagine this usually isn't the case. If you guys don't mind, I'll probably be asking you a bunch of questions once SXSW is over so I can get a better idea of what to expect. I won't bother you guys with it until its over because I'd want to have as much time as possible to check out music, lol.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
I've been talking to my buddy about possibly doing SXSW (after the talk of it on here) sometime in the next few years and he brought up Glastonbury. Those are two I am putting on the bucket list, so to speak. SXSW seems more feasible earlier for me, and I can't wait. Its probably about two years away from being possible for me, but I'm already starting to check out what I should expect in terms of prices for ticket options, hotel accommodations, plane tickets, and such. The big variable I'll have to try to narrow down is alcohol. The thing at Roo is if you are friendly with your neighbor, they'll just offer up free anything most of the time, with that type of setting, I'd imagine this usually isn't the case. If you guys don't mind, I'll probably be asking you a bunch of questions once SXSW is over so I can get a better idea of what to expect. I won't bother you guys with it until its over because I'd want to have as much time as possible to check out music, lol.
I am only hitting a few music events. Basically a wristband gets you into all official shows, but you have to wait in line. Most venues don't have a line. It only blows when there is a big act that you want to see. Then it's a zoo. Badge holders get priority and don't have to wait.

Plenty of unofficial sxsw shows at other bars. The entire town is full of good music.

Also, drinks are freaking expensive.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Damn. I love Akron/Family. Had no idea they'd be here.

Having a job and also attending the sxsw interactive sessions makes for long days.
They/re playing plenty of shows this week. I'll definitely be trying to see 'em again.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
They/re playing plenty of shows this week. I'll definitely be trying to see 'em again.
Cool. I'll keep an eye out. Hard to be flexible between work and having a wife and kid.

Responded to your PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So much badassery.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Also, what can't JGL do?

Quote:
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM    (permalink
BucSquad
Veteran

BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BucSquad is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like I said, I've got no problems with him. In terms of "celebrities", he's probably one of the first truly big names I'd enjoy talking with and hanging out with. He is very enigmatic, despite still seeming very down to earth, but he is not a talented actor, IMO, he's another crossover artist that should've stuck with his original profession. That being said, he isn't worse than most of the actors Hollywood trots out in front of us anymore. I'm not a huge fan of his music, its just generic hip-hop/pop to me, but I don't let my opinion of him as an artist get in the way of my opinion of him as a person. The guy is funny as ****, has an interesting sense of humor, and is a Hollywood guy who isn't anywhere close to an asshole. He's a cool, laid-back celebrity, and I respect him for those reasons, just not his music or acting, that's just my personal preference though.
I can respect that but I wouldn't call this generic pop

Not my favorite artist but he makes enjoyable music for me.
BucSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Bob Dylan and Dawes, one of my favorite bands, will be playing in the same place where I had my high school graduation ceremony, and tickets are only $50. I'd be going mostly for Dawes, admittedly, but getting to see one of the living legends of music is an opportunity that is almost impossible for me to pass up at that price, especially when the supporting act is a band as great as Dawes.