Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
How can we afford him? I get having a signing bonus and a low base salary this year, but in the coming years we have to sign a number of players, including a QB contract...

I'd rather look to the draft than overpay in FA. Doesn't seem like Baalke's MO at all to overpay for a guy in FA.
Its like the Revis talk....financially it makes ZERO sense. Unless they plan on making him a FS.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why the hell do we keep going after old players . i know its only a 6 round trade but still... He better do way better then Moss.
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From reading different boards (including this one) and twitter we've been linked to the following FA's

-Louis Delmas
-Wes Welker
-Sean Smith
-Lawrence Tynes
-Josh Cribbs
-Desmond Bryant
-John Abraham
-Ed Reed
-Darrelle Revis (trade)

Plus we were linked to Percy Harvin and were supposedly in 2nd place for him, but who knows how reliable the source is (Pro Football Central, never heard of them until a month ago)

It just seems like a lot of FA's for a team that usually signs 2nd tier guys. I can't think of a top tier FA we've signed in the last 2 offseasons under Baalke. And now we're linked to Smith, Revis, Welker, etc. We don't have the cash and it goes against our philosophy. Not to mention we have 14 picks with 5 in the top 95, it makes sense to fill our needs with cheap talented rookies instead of a bunch of expensive veterans.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excatly 87....remember last year, everyone thought we were going to be major players in FA. We were linked to all these guys the before FA and then that first week we were "in talks" with all these players. Its a smoke screen.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How can we afford him? I get having a signing bonus and a low base salary this year, but in the coming years we have to sign a number of players, including a QB contract...

I'd rather look to the draft than overpay in FA. Doesn't seem like Baalke's MO at all to overpay for a guy in FA.
I'm wondering the same thing. Manningham and Haralson must be on the chopping blocks...or Carlos Rodgers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya:The lack of ignorance in this thread is alarming.
Shupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shupp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After Smith's trade goes through and counting Boldin's salary, the 49ers are still 8.1 million under the cap.

Cutting Manningham would save 3.9 more.

Cutting Haralson would save 2.8 more.

Quote:

Last edited by Shupp : 03-12-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 AM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I guess we won't be drafting a wide out first few rounds now. I guess we will be loading up on defense .
49erNation85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 AM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
So I guess we won't be drafting a wide out first few rounds now. I guess we will be loading up on defense .
Not necessarily, Boldin is a 1 year deal and Manningham is also on a 1 year deal and will likely be cut. Kyle Williams is coming off an ACL and Jenkins is a complete unknown.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
From reading different boards (including this one) and twitter we've been linked to the following FA's

-Louis Delmas
-Wes Welker
-Sean Smith
-Lawrence Tynes
-Josh Cribbs
-Desmond Bryant
-John Abraham
-Ed Reed
-Darrelle Revis (trade)

Plus we were linked to Percy Harvin and were supposedly in 2nd place for him, but who knows how reliable the source is (Pro Football Central, never heard of them until a month ago)

It just seems like a lot of FA's for a team that usually signs 2nd tier guys. I can't think of a top tier FA we've signed in the last 2 offseasons under Baalke. And now we're linked to Smith, Revis, Welker, etc. We don't have the cash and it goes against our philosophy. Not to mention we have 14 picks with 5 in the top 95, it makes sense to fill our needs with cheap talented rookies instead of a bunch of expensive veterans.
Well the 49ers were in the Jonathan Joesph sweepstakes a couple years back, but lost out to Houston.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 AM    (permalink
Norcal3518
Rookie

Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
So you didn't say he'd be a first round pick if it wasn't for the weed? Because that's what I read and that's what I'm arguing, not him being some 4th round pick. Of course you can't compare Mathieu to Peterson, which was precisely my point.
Mathieu going in the first round is irrelevant to my argument. My argument is simply that picking Mathieu in the 4th round would be well worth the risk.
There have been many players selected in the first round that no one would have thought. I never said he would have been worthy of a first round or a top 5 pick like Peterson. I simply said that he would have gone in the first round and he probably would have. If Tim Tebow can be a first round pick then Tyrann Mathieu could be too.
Norcal3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldnt be surprised if we end up getting Reed (to replace Goldson), Cribbs (to replace Ginn), Casey (to replace Walker) and Revis via trade because I think that Baalke realizes thats he's not going to be able to keep everyone down the line so while the majority of the team is intact, mine as well go all out for 2013 especially when Boldin, Revis and possibly Reed would only be for one year anyway so unless we sign these guys to huge long term deals, we'll still be in good shape next off-season and 2015.

It looks like they'll go all out this year while using this year's draft and next year's draft to replace any losses that we suffer now and 2015.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal3518 View Post
Mathieu going in the first round is irrelevant to my argument. My argument is simply that picking Mathieu in the 4th round would be well worth the risk.
There have been many players selected in the first round that no one would have thought. I never said he would have been worthy of a first round or a top 5 pick like Peterson. I simply said that he would have gone in the first round and he probably would have. If Tim Tebow can be a first round pick then Tyrann Mathieu could be too.
And Tebow didnt deserve to be a first round pick so again, your helping my argument. Your statement that he would have been a first round pick implies that he has first round talent, in your eyes. That is where I disagree.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
After Smith's trade goes through and counting Boldin's salary, the 49ers are still 8.1 million under the cap.

Cutting Manningham would save 3.9 more.

Cutting Haralson would save 2.8 more.
Don't forget, we still have to sign our entire draft class also. So we still have very little room to maneuver. Especially if they are serious about bringing back Walker, which has been reported.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Norcal3518
Rookie

Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Norcal3518 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
And Tebow didnt deserve to be a first round pick so again, your helping my argument. Your statement that he would have been a first round pick implies that he has first round talent, in your eyes. That is where I disagree.
I never once said that he has first round talent. I said that he would be a first round pick if it wasnt for the weed. Now when I read that that means that he would have been picked in the first round. Sounds like I was implying that he would be drafted in the first round thats it. Never said that he would have been worthy of the pick. So your argument is irrelevant to what I was saying. I agree with you that he isnt on a Patrick Peterson level or really even close to him. But just because some one doesnt deserve to be a first round pick doesnt mean that they couldnt be a first round pick. All I was saying was that some one would have rolled the dice and taken him in the first round. I am going to say this one more time to help it register in your mind so we can move on from this pointless argument. I never said Tyrann Mathieu is a first round talent. All i said was that he would have been drafted in the first round. Meaning that someone would have drafted him in the first round and not that he would have been worthy of the pick.

Last edited by Norcal3518 : 03-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Norcal3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Wallace to the Dolphins. Oh no Dan, what are you going to do?

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Titans sign Delanie Walker :(

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shupp View Post
Titans sign Delanie Walker :(
Dang...well, I hope Tennessee doesn't get annoyed by his drops.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Dang...well, I hope Tennessee doesn't get annoyed by his drops.
Per PFC but I haven't seen it confirmed yet.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

This made me laugh from the main board.

Quote:
So we let RJF a 7th round pick sit on our 53 man roster for 4 years, never get **** out of him except for 2 sacks a peanut butter jelly dance,

I had high hopes for the guy, to bad he never panned out.
Just kinda bummed that we groom a guy then dont get anything out of him

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sad to see Walker leave. I don't think he'll be as easily replaced as many think.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Sad to see Walker leave. I don't think he'll be as easily replaced as many think.
Time for Celek to step up.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Shupp
Veteran

Glenn Dorsey set to visit SF

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Time for Celek to step up.
Don't see Celek having the endline, HBack, and ST impact of Walker. I'm expecting a new addition.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Don't see Celek having the endline, HBack, and ST impact of Walker. I'm expecting a new addition.
Well it remains to be seen if Celek can get open like Walker did, but his hands might be better and that's a plus already. He looked good in limited action when given opportunities this season.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Well it remains to be seen if Celek can get open like Walker did, but his hands might be better and that's a plus already. He looked good in limited action when given opportunities this season.
That's never been my point about Walker. What made Walker good was everything he did BESIDES be a receiving threat. Those things are important.