Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its just not worth trading Mallett unless they get a good 2nd or more. I'd rather hold on to him as a good back up or maybe take over for Brady if something happens. He is one of the rare backups that could be a good starter so if I was the Browns or Arizona I would try to pry him away.

I like Mallett more than this drafts crop of QBs. Him not having drug problems so far really helps his stock. The drugs were the big reason he fell and him not having issues so far dispels that worry. Mallett could easily fail still though.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Bill Belichick has shown a willingness to replace veteran quarterbacks with younger players before (Bernie Kosar, Drew Bledsoe), but opted to give Brady another three-year extension rather than let him play out the deal and reevaluate then.
Neither of your examples were QBs Belichick drafted or brought in. This seems (for whatever reason) to be a big deal in the NFL. Coaches love their QBs and are quick to get rid of other people's QBs.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mobile View Post
Its just not worth trading Mallett unless they get a good 2nd or more. I'd rather hold on to him as a good back up or maybe take over for Brady if something happens. He is one of the rare backups that could be a good starter so if I was the Browns or Arizona I would try to pry him away.
How would you know this though? Because of all the meaningful regular season snaps he's had?

I think Arizona and Cleveland make some sense. Arizona because he fits nicely with Arians vertical offense, has a target in Fitz who you don't have to be the most accurate guy to get the ball to, and same could be said for Floyd. I love the fit for the Browns also because Norv & Chud's vertical aggressive offense are a great fit. Both those guys are also known to get the most out of their QB's even if he isn't a top tier talent.

I don't think Mallett is as good as some people believe on here. He does have a cannon for an arm, but I see him as a poor mans Stafford or a rich mans Derek Anderson, or somewhere in between. I was not a fan of his pocket presence what so ever, mechanics and footwork were bad, accuracy was spotty and balls would sail on him. Maybe they got better I'm not sure. I do not see him as a QB who can operate behind a subpar line like a Jay Cutler can, and I found myself struggling to like multiple things about him.

I love having a big arm, but Stafford moved around in the pocket very nicely for a guy who isn't a running QB, he had a much better feel for the pocket breaking down IMO. That said, considering the options in this draft, a 3rd rd pick and a conditional pick seems like a no brainer to me. If it ended up being a 3rd and a 2nd, I'd probably rather gamble on a guy this draft and keep my pick next year unless I loved him the year he came out.

I'd feel much better about him if he goes to AZ or Cleveland because of the offense he'll run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Derek Anderson barely completed 50% of his passes at Oregon State. It's not surprising he struggled with his consistency in the pros. Mallett is a much better prospect than Anderson.

Mallett's problems at Arkansas weren't accuracy per se, they were spotty decision making at times late in games.

I never really saw an issue with his throwing mechanics. Footwork could be a problem for Mallett because he lacks athleticism, but he is on par with Brady in terms of movement skills. That doesn't mean he has Brady's pocket presence, just saying they're similar level athletes.

I don't know many QBs who would be successful behind the Bears Oline. Even Aaron Rodgers struggles with poor protection up front.

But I agree it's more pronounced for Mallett. If he doesn't have at least average protection, he's not going to evade a pass rush.

I still contend Mallett has the strongest arm in the NFL and simply has the ability to make throws other QBs can't.

Teams who need a QB this offseason could do much worse than Ryan Mallett.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I still contend Mallett has the strongest arm in the NFL and simply has the ability to make throws other QBs can't.
This seems relevant...

Quarterback Ball Velocity at NFL Combine 2008-2012

Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 59
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State 59
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada 59
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas 58
Austin Davis, Southern Mississippi 58
Nick Foles, Arizona 57
Chandler Harnish, Northern Illinois 57
Jordan Jefferson, LSU 57

How in the hell Cousins got in there, I'll never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't trade anything for Mallett. Well, maybe I'd give a fifth or sixth rounder, but the Patriots wouldn't accept that. He's just going to be another in a long line of backup quarterbacks that will be acquired by a team to be their starter who won't work out.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
I wouldn't trade anything for Mallett. Well, maybe I'd give a fifth or sixth rounder, but the Patriots wouldn't accept that. He's just going to be another in a long line of backup quarterbacks that will be acquired by a team to be their starter who won't work out.
You're sort of implying every QB selected in this draft before the 5th or 6th round is a better prospect than Mallett. Okay.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 03-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mallett's problems at Arkansas weren't accuracy per se, they were spotty decision making at times late in games.
He struggled constantly to throw an intermediate pass where he didn't over throw the receiver.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mallett was the 2nd best QB available in the 2011 draft and would have gone right after Newton if there weren't fears that he was a cokehead and Ryan Leaf 2.0.

His fall in the draft had nothing at all to do with his talent.
You really believe based on talent most NFL teams thought Gabbert/Locker/Ponder were better pro prospects than he was???

I could def see a team giving up a 2nd for Mallett, or a 1st rounder in the 20s.

It would help Mallett's case if Brady was out for a couple games in 2013 and we got a chance to see Mallett in a live game other than preseason.

I have no questions at all about Mallett's ability. None.
I'm not completely sold on him, he's pretty immobile for todays NFL and I doubt he would have gone in round 1, I can see round 2 talent but that's it for me. Of course, I may be proven wrong but we'll see how much trade interest is there for him, that should give some real insight into his value.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

I have a love-on for Ryan Mallett, so take it for what it is.
There's nothing preventing any NFL team from offering the Pats a Percy Harvin type trade deal to acquire Mallett, which I'd bet Belichick would accept.

So we can be fairly certain no one is throwing #1 picks at the Pats for Mallett, so he's not regarded on that level by QB needy teams.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're sort of implying every QB selected in this draft before the 5th or 6th round is a better prospect than Mallett. Okay.
Doesn't matter. It's not just the material investment (the draft picks, the contract) that you have to worry about when you're talking about acquiring a prospective starting quarterback. There's also the time investment: if the quarterback doesn't pan out that's two or three years of your franchise's productivity down the drain.

This is why GMs always have to be careful about drafting quarterbacks in the first round, even if they need a quarterback. You need to get the right guy, not just a guy, otherwise you probably get fired.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drew Bledsoe to JP Losman to Trent Edwards to Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I would trade for Mallett quick. Yes he moves like he has bricks tied to his legs, but he has the confidence that he can make any throw and his arm is amazing. I wouldn't mind the fact that he has learned behind Brady either.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:18 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael

How is it that quarterbacks who don't actually get on the field become so valuable? At least Kevin Kolb and Matt Flynn had a few starts to base an opinion on. Mallett is the same doofus he was two years ago. With less time left on his cheap contract.
raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael

Ryan Mallett career stats - 25% completion rate, 0 Tds, 1 Int, 005.2 passer rating. Twenty five years old in a couple of months.

Yeah, teams should be lined up to offer first round picks.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 AM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

But guys, he's been sitting on the Patriots bench and he might be, I don't know, gaining ability by osmosis from Tom Brady.

And hey look at his preseasons stats! That 50% completion rating is elite! Throw the ball down the field four times for a 4.5 yard per attempt average and complete it half the time and you're bound to continue a drive occasionally!

So yeah, this is totally a guy I'd give a high round draft pick for. Because guys who drop in the draft for substance abuse problems and stay out of trouble but otherwise do absolutely absolutely nothing on the field automatically become tremendously valuable. That is how the NFL works.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael View Post
Ryan Mallett career stats - 25% completion rate, 0 Tds, 1 Int, 005.2 passer rating. Twenty five years old in a couple of months.

Yeah, teams should be lined up to offer first round picks.

Stop.
Mallett had four attempts last season, one completion.
You don't evaluate a QB based off 4 attempts in mop up duty.

If you trade for him, you do so based on the prospect you thought he was coming out of Arkansas, not how clean his uni looked riding the bench for the Patriots.

Suppose Indy never traded away Manning and still drafted Luck. Luck would be Peyton's backup for the entire 2012 season barring injury. How many teams do you think would still be willing to trade a first round pick(s) to draft a guy who had never played in the NFL??

Riding the bench behind a HOFer doesn't mean you automatically suck.

I really like Geno Smith, but IMO Mallett is a better prospect than every QB available in this draft.

If the Pats don't make a decision about Mallett after the 2013 season, they're probably going to lose him after the 2014 season anyway.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 AM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Stop.
Mallett had four attempts last season, one completion.
You don't evaluate a QB based off 4 attempts in mop up duty.

If you trade for him, you do so based on the prospect you thought he was coming out of Arkansas, not how clean his uni looked riding the bench for the Patriots.

Suppose Indy never traded away Manning and still drafted Luck. Luck would be Peyton's backup for the entire 2012 season barring injury. How many teams do you think would still be willing to trade a first round pick(s) to draft a guy who had never played in the NFL??

Riding the bench behind a HOFer doesn't mean you automatically suck.

I really like Geno Smith, but IMO Mallett is a better prospect than every QB available in this draft.

If the Pats don't make a decision about Mallett after the 2013 season, they're probably going to lose him after the 2014 season anyway.
What he said.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
What he said.
So, not playing, or looking mediocre the few times you do, takes you from being worth a third round pick to being worth a a first round pick? How?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So, not playing, or looking mediocre the few times you do, takes you from being worth a third round pick to being worth a a first round pick? How?
Are you serious? Lets base a guy off 4 career passing attempts, who's sat behind one the greatest QBs of all time? If I remember correctly, Aaron Rodgers struggled a bit against Dallas in mop up duty when Favre went down.

Mallett has only come in when the game is in blowout mode. He's never going to unseat or get any significant playing time behind Tom Brady.

Mallett was a heck of a prospect coming out. Would be the top 5 pick in this draft and talent wise, was a 1st round grade in 2011. He had character concerns, but not leadership. He was respected in the huddle and from everything scouts said, you couldnt' wear him down in the film room during the combine. Very smart kid.

Cleaned up his image in New England. He'll be a very good starting QB in this league when he gets his shot.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Read what FUNBUNCHER said. Nobody is talking about how amazing he has looked as a pro. His value comes from how he looked in college and as a prospect.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Read what FUNBUNCHER said. Nobody is talking about how amazing he has looked as a pro. His value comes from how he looked in college and as a prospect.
How "he looked in college and as a prospect", was a late third round value. By a team with a pile of extra draft picks who wouldn't need him to play for five years with any luck.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How "he looked in college and as a prospect", was a late third round value. By a team with a pile of extra draft picks who wouldn't need him to play for five years with any luck.
No it wasn't. He fell that far because of his off the field problems (of which he has had none since coming into the NFL). If he had no character issues he probably would've been the second QB selected...

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

The Pats couldn't get that third round pick back for Mallett right now, is what I'm saying. Lucky to get a seventh.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of Mallet's 4 career attempts his INT was a beautifully thrown ball that hit his receiver dead center in his hands.

He's looked good at times in the preseason too when he was given any semblance of time to throw the football. This past preseason was brutal because the combination of Light retiring, Waters not showing up, and Mankins, Connolly, and Vollmer being hurt pushed up everyone and the 3's played just awful blocking for the 2nd unit.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

You can't just view Ryan Mallett like he's a prospect fresh out of college now though. You can't pretend that he's just coming out of Arkansas with no substance abuse issues and hey, what draft pick would you give for that? There is imagination, and then there is reality, and the reality is this: The Patriots spent a third round pick to draft him, and he has done nothing on the field in two years.

And no team is going to trade a first round pick for a backup that has never seen the field, I don't care what kind of "upside" he has or who he's sat behind. If Brady got hurt again and Mallett put up a solid season everything changes, but he hasn't done that yet, so here we are.

Honestly the fact that Pats fans are so avid about finding a way to trade Mallett might mean that in their heart of hearts they know he just isn't good enough.