Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
You can't just view Ryan Mallett like he's a prospect fresh out of college now though. You can't pretend that he's just coming out of Arkansas with no substance abuse issues and hey, what draft pick would you give for that? There is imagination, and then there is reality, and the reality is this: The Patriots spent a third round pick to draft him, and he has done nothing on the field in two years.

And no team is going to trade a first round pick for a backup that has never seen the field, I don't care what kind of "upside" he has or who he's sat behind. If Brady got hurt again and Mallett put up a solid season everything changes, but he hasn't done that yet, so here we are.

Honestly the fact that Pats fans are so avid about finding a way to trade Mallett might mean that in their heart of hearts they know he just isn't good enough.
Who is avid about trading Mallett? MJ is pretty much the only one who would move him for less than a 2nd.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphael View Post
The Pats couldn't get that third round pick back for Mallett right now, is what I'm saying. Lucky to get a seventh.
Hahaha. I HIGHLY DOUBT that. Mallett was a legit prospect. Smart, big arm, leadership and intangibles.

New England didn't take him to be a long term back up. They took him to develop him and get TRade Value because he will be a starter in this league.

He dropped due to "Character Issues", aka he did some coke in college. Yeah, that was a bit alarming, but he went into the perfect situation to manage his character and there have been zero issues.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
You can't just view Ryan Mallett like he's a prospect fresh out of college now though. You can't pretend that he's just coming out of Arkansas with no substance abuse issues and hey, what draft pick would you give for that? There is imagination, and then there is reality, and the reality is this: The Patriots spent a third round pick to draft him, and he has done nothing on the field in two years.

And no team is going to trade a first round pick for a backup that has never seen the field, I don't care what kind of "upside" he has or who he's sat behind. If Brady got hurt again and Mallett put up a solid season everything changes, but he hasn't done that yet, so here we are.

Honestly the fact that Pats fans are so avid about finding a way to trade Mallett might mean that in their heart of hearts they know he just isn't good enough.
Why? What is the reasoning behind this?

The Packers drafted Rodgers and sat him for 3 years, should they have gone and picked a QB in the first round when Favre retired, because they couldn't treat Rodgers like a 1st round pick? I mean, he hadn't done anything.

Or do you just completely disagree with drafting players in the NFL draft? I guess maybe if they had played in the NFL before and done well, it would be ok to draft them, but if not, no way. You cannot draft college players if they haven't done anything in the NFL. Ridiculous.

RIP themaninblack

Last edited by SuperPacker : 03-12-2013 at 06:45 PM.
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Why? What is the reasoning behind this?

The Packers drafted Rodgers and sat him for 3 years, should they have gone and picked a QB in the first round when Favre retired, because they couldn't treat Rodgers like a 1st round pick? I mean, he hadn't done anything.

Or do you just completely disagree with drafting players in the NFL draft? I guess maybe if they had played in the NFL before and done well, it would be ok to draft them, but if not, no way. You cannot draft college players if they haven't done anything in the NFL. Ridiculous.
Agreed. The only question surrounding Mallett was his character. To me, I think he was just a college kid experimenting with some drugs (yeah I know Coccaine is not the common drug like Marijuana and sometimes Shrooms), but I've seen a few kids who tried it back in my day a few years back and they're not addicts. Just stupidity in college .

Other than that, he would have been a round 1 pick . Instantly. There is no way that talent wise and intangible wise, Locker, Ponder and Gabbert were better prospects than Mallett.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael

Kevin Kolb was taken in the same area in the draft. He actually started a few games and looked reasonable. He brought a second round pick and I don't think the Cards feel they got good value by any means.
raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Kevin Kolb was taken in the same area in the draft. He actually started a few games and looked reasonable. He brought a second round pick and I don't think the Cards feel they got good value by any means.
Kevin Kolb sucks, so that must mean Mallett sucks? That's the best you could come up with? Seriously?

*sigh*

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael raphael

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
Agreed. The only question surrounding Mallett was his character. To me, I think he was just a college kid experimenting with some drugs (yeah I know Coccaine is not the common drug like Marijuana and sometimes Shrooms), but I've seen a few kids who tried it back in my day a few years back and they're not addicts. Just stupidity in college .

Other than that, he would have been a round 1 pick . Instantly. There is no way that talent wise and intangible wise, Locker, Ponder and Gabbert were better prospects than Mallett.
LOL, revisionist thinking. Those three were all drafted more than two full rounds earlier than Mallett, and by sitting on the bench for two years while they were starting in the league Ryan becomes a better prospect? Every team in the league probably had three chances to draft Mallett in 2011. It was only the team that needed a quarterback less than any other who finally pulled the trigger. In large part because they had five picks in the first three rounds that year, I think.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
This might be the worst comparison I've ever seen. Do you think before you post?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
LOL, revisionist thinking. Those three were all drafted more than two full rounds earlier than Mallett, and by sitting on the bench for two years while they were starting in the league Ryan becomes a better prospect. Every team in the league probably had three chances to draft Mallett in 2011. It was only the team that needed a new quarterback less than any other who finally pulled the trigger. In large part because they had five picks in the first three rounds that year, I think.
Haha really dude? Mallett has sat behind TOM BRADY his entire 2 year career.

Ponder? Inconsistent.
Locker? LOL is absolutely erratic.
Gabbert? LoL

Just because these guys are starting has nothing to do with them being better than Mallett. Sheesh. I'm not sure what you see .
Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
This might be the worst comparison I've ever seen. Do you think before you post?
Yeah, Kolb was a mid round draft pick who sat on the bench for the most part for two or three years behind a star quarterback and somehow became "more valuable". Terrible comparison, Mallett is none of those things. After all, Kevin actually got to start a few games in Philly before he was traded.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah, Kolb was a mid round draft pick who sat on the bench for the most part for two or three years behind a star quarterback and somehow became "more valuable". Terrible comparison, Mallett is none of those things. After all, Kevin actually got to start a few games in Philly before he was traded.
1. Kolb was never a 1st round talent.
2. Kolb was actually a 2nd round pick.

What part of "Mallett dropped due to character concerns" don't you get?

EDIT: I don't think you do enough research before you post do you?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
Haha really dude? Mallett has sat behind TOM BRADY his entire 2 year career.

Ponder? Inconsistent.
Locker? LOL is absolutely erratic.
Gabbert? LoL

Just because these guys are starting has nothing to do with them being better than Mallett. Sheesh. I'm not sure what you see .
Maybe the fact that they went in the top half of the first round of the draft and Mallett lasted to the end of the third round of the same draft has something to do with "them being better than Mallett". Has that outlandish thought ever crossed your mind?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
1. Kolb was never a 1st round talent.
2. Kolb was actually a 2nd round pick.

What part of "Mallett dropped due to character concerns" don't you get?

EDIT: I don't think you do enough research before you post do you?
Character concerns? Cam Newton was drafted first overall, and he has the IQ and moral development of a nine year old. Mallett lasted because he was dumb and immobile. Which he still is.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe the fact that they went in the top half of the first round of the draft and Mallett lasted to the end of the third round of the same draft has something to do with "them being better than Mallett". Has that outlandish thought ever crossed your mind?
You're an idiot. The biggest concern of Mallett was "Character Concerns". That is why he dropped.

Also, several QBs went in front of Tom Brady in 2000. Does that mean they're better than Brady?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Character concerns? Cam Newton was drafted first overall, and he has the IQ and moral development of a nine year old. Mallett lasted because he was dumb and immobile. Which he still is.
Admitting to Coccaine usage at the combine had nothing to do with that?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
Admitting to Coccaine usage at the combine had nothing to do with that?
Well, it probably reinforces the "dumb" part.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Starting in Ann Arbor (if not sooner), the rumor mill surrounding Mallett made Cam Newton look like Tim Tebow.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Pro Bowler

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LOL, revisionist thinking. Those three were all drafted more than two full rounds earlier than Mallett, and by sitting on the bench for two years while they were starting in the league Ryan becomes a better prospect? Every team in the league probably had three chances to draft Mallett in 2011. It was only the team that needed a quarterback less than any other who finally pulled the trigger. In large part because they had five picks in the first three rounds that year, I think.
Ryan becomes a better prospect because his arm strength demolishes all of the ordinary attributes Kolb had as a prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

I just think the recent examples of Kolb, Flynn, and to a lesser extent Matt Cassel, would discourage anyone from investing a high draft pick in an unknown career backup. Those guys showed a lot more potential to be long term starters than Mallett has before they were traded.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I just think the recent examples of Kolb, Flynn, and to a lesser extent Matt Cassel, would discourage anyone from investing a high draft pick in an unknown career backup. Those guys showed a lot more potential to be long term starters than Mallett has before they were traded.
Um, I don't think any of those guys were ever considered first round talents, ehh? Or even had a first round grade?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I gave Kolb a first round grade because he was the best QB in that draft class. He was a guy that could've been a very good QB, but didn't have franchise player tools. Mallett had the resume and the tools and for any team interested, he should be hitting his prime really soon.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
Um, I don't think any of those guys were ever considered first round talents, ehh? Or even had a first round grade?
Who gave Mallet a "first round grade" beside yourself? I don't recall him being considered a first round talent at all. The only two quarterbacks I saw consistently rated in the first round that year were Gabbert (around #10 overall) and Newton (around #20 overall). Some people had Locker at the end of the first round, but more often in the second.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Who gave Mallet a "first round grade" beside yourself? I don't recall him being considered a first round talent at all. The only two quarterbacks I saw consistently rated in the first round that year were Gabbert (around #10 overall) and Newton (around #20 overall). Some people had Locker at the end of the first round, but more often in the second.
I think if I remember correctly, about 24 scouts/NFL Personell were asked what QB would they take #1 overall talent wise, 16 said Mallett.

So yes, talent wise, he was a first round grade.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
raphael
Rookie

Quote:
I think if I remember correctly, about 24 scouts/NFL Personell were asked what QB would they take #1 overall talent wise, 16 said Mallett.

So yes, talent wise, he was a first round grade.
It's the voices in your head. What you are referring to is the poll that Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal conducts every year prior to the draft. He asked 24 scouts and/or general managers who they thought was the best QB in the draft. 16 of the 24 said BLAINE GABBERT. Eight said Cam Newton. ZERO said Ryan Mallett or any other quarterback available that year. Including Dalton, Locker, Kaepernick, Ponder.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mallett was easily a first round talent....there is absolutely no doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is online now   Reply With Quote