Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now we're under the cap by a little and can shop at minimum level free agents (Ernie Sims, Peprah, etc).

Imagine if we have any mid-level targets for the 2nd week of free agency we'll have Romo's deal wrapped up by the end of the week.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:44 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if guys at the level of sims and peprah are the best we can get we might as well bypass free agency, there should be plenty of younger players in the draft that can be backups like those guys

i still think we can land a mid-level free agent who can start right away like phillip wheeler or eric winston at bargain price due to the limited cap space across the league this offseason
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
if guys at the level of sims and peprah are the best we can get we might as well bypass free agency, there should be plenty of younger players in the draft that can be backups like those guys

i still think we can land a mid-level free agent who can start right away like phillip wheeler or eric winston at bargain price due to the limited cap space across the league this offseason
We're not gonna be able to do much of anything until Romo signs that extension. We're barely under the cap and have pretty much exhausted our resources to do so.

It sucks, this is an excellent year to be shopping for a RT or S in FA.

But here's what I'm thinking:

If he doesn't sign an extension early on in FA and we miss out on legitimately upgrading our team I'd rather go into the year without extending him. Reinforce our weaknesses through the draft, cross your fingers we stay healthy and give JG + this core group of vets one last shot. If they can't do it, you're looking at $30MM next off-season just by letting Spencer and Romo walk. Ratliff, Free, Miles, and Spears will be easier to axe as well as Livings and Bernardeu. It's a prime opportunity to bring in a HC and rebuild this roster, which I'd be much more in favor of if we miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year with an aging group. If it gets to that point I think the organization is forced to re-evaluate what we're doing.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
@AdamSchefter: More cuts coming today: Panthers releasing LB James Anderson.
I'd love to bring Anderson in to play SLB, probably won't be on the market long enough for us to scrape some cash together.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I'd love to bring Anderson in to play SLB, probably won't be on the market long enough for us to scrape some cash together.
Our whopping $175k. HAHA!!!

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
didn't he sign a huge contract last offseason, oh how the table have turned

i'm still on the phillip wheeler bandwagon for slb, but at least there are more options available
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We won't be signing anyone till next week barring a Romo or Spencer contract extension.

Pretty much create a list of free agents about 10 deep per position and cross them all off. After that you may have some targets for us. :D
Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Our whopping $175k. HAHA!!!
I know right lol This Romo deal is going to have to get done. We don't even have enough money to sign our draft picks at this point. Something else that might loosen the straps late is if we cut Free late to free up 7 mil after June 1st.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm actually fine with not having a lot of money to sign FA's. We will need a handful, but I'm becoming a firm believer in building through the draft. We've had some solid drafts recently. Granted the jury is still out on 2012.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

In hindsight, we should've just let Spencer walk. That $10mi kis kind of killer right now.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
In hindsight, we should've just let Spencer walk. That $10mi kis kind of killer right now.
Especially considering he's undersized and unproven in the position he'll be asked to play. Totally stupid IMO.

Only way to rectify it in my eyes is use him at SLB on running downs, while developing Crawford at LDE. Spencer moves up in passing situations.

Doubt the team will do this though. I'm ready to see Wilbur & Albright battle it out for SLB while Spencer gets the ball rammed down his throat at LDE
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
Especially considering he's undersized and unproven in the position he'll be asked to play. Totally stupid IMO.

Only way to rectify it in my eyes is use him at SLB on running downs, while developing Crawford at LDE. Spencer moves up in passing situations.

Doubt the team will do this though. I'm ready to see Wilbur & Albright battle it out for SLB while Spencer gets the ball rammed down his throat at LDE
you guys are making too big deal of spencer against the run, he gonna be the strong side de and their ain't a tight end in the world that can block him one on one, he'll be fine. there other guys in the nfl that are spencer's size and are quality de's. jabaal sheard and brian robison come to mind and spencer is better than both of them
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seeing chatter we might go after DeAngelo Hall and plug him in at FS. I actually would like the move.

I'm high on guys in this draft class but I got a chance to spend some time w DHall last march and he's a super cool guy. I think he's only 29. He's good if he wants to be.

I feel like he's one of the guys who can make a successful transition to FS
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Seeing chatter we might go after DeAngelo Hall and plug him in at FS. I actually would like the move.

I'm high on guys in this draft class but I got a chance to spend some time w DHall last march and he's a super cool guy. I think he's only 29. He's good if he wants to be.

I feel like he's one of the guys who can make a successful transition to FS
Lol just beat me to it.

Quote:
Yes... Dallas is interested in DeAngelo Hall's services..... as a Free Safety. #cowboys #Redskins
9:59 PM - 12 Mar 13
I'd really like that move, Hall is still one of the premier ball hawks in this league and should be effective in the deep zone. I wonder what type if salary he would command ? Something like 4 years 26 mil ?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Conflicting reports apparently

Quote:
@BryanBroaddus: “@PeytonLink88: @DanHellie Dallas is interested in DeAngelo Hall's services as a Free Safety. #cowboys #Redskins" you see this?” Not true
Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Lol just beat me to it.

I'd really like that move, Hall is still one of the premier ball hawks in this league and should be effective in the deep zone. I wonder what type if salary he would command ? Something like 4 years 26 mil ?
I'm not sure, the stuff I'm reading make it seem like his market isn't going to be too hot but I don't see him taking less than 5.5-6 mil per year.

He's easily got the athleticism to be an effective player for another 4 or 5 years. It would allow Church & Johnson to compete for SS without worrying about who's on the other side.

The positive is that it would allow the 'Boys to focus on OL/DL in the draft, which of course means we probably would draft a slot receiver in the 1st just to piss me off.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Conflicting reports apparently
How does Broaddus know? You write for the team website -- does that mean you're privy to all the inside info going on in the front office?

If it does, I think that makes the organization look like clowns.

Honestly, I hate Broaddus and Eatman. Both think they're so smart and they're very smug when responding to fans despite both being wrong on a consistent basis.

I like the ESPN guys a lot better. Not a fan of ESPN but their Dallas writers are a lot more honest about the team.

Broaddus and Eatman are always defensive acting like a team that hasn't been to the SB in nearly 20 years can do no wrong. That Rob Phillips dude is pretty cool though.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

Huff is now on the market. There has been speculation of him coming to Dallas for a few years now. Any chance he can come in cheap?
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime217 View Post
Huff is now on the market. There has been speculation of him coming to Dallas for a few years now. Any chance he can come in cheap?
Huff can come back home and I imagine his contract will be amenable to our cap situation. Would MUCH rather have Huff than MeAngelo.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Huff can come back home and I imagine his contract will be amenable to our cap situation. Would MUCH rather have Huff than MeAngelo.
MeAngelo has a bad rep for how he acts on the field but he's actually a super chill dude, very generous.

Huff is the better option because he's cheaper and has experience at the position but I'd welcome either. Too bad we don't have an extra 10mil in cap space due to the idiot tagging of Spencer.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
MeAngelo has a bad rep for how he acts on the field but he's actually a super chill dude, very generous.

Huff is the better option because he's cheaper and has experience at the position but I'd welcome either. Too bad we don't have an extra 10mil in cap space due to the idiot tagging of Spencer.
Loads of people coming out saying the MeAngelo rumor has zero merit.

Broaddus whom I hold in contempt mostly and now

Quote:
mike fisher @fishsports

Crushing another bogus rumor: @cowboys source says he 'has no idea' where DeAngelo Hall idea came from. @1053thefan
Spencer's long-term deal might actually be more fair if we can nail down something like Kruger's deal (5 years 41 million). I'd take that in half a second.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Loads of people coming out saying the MeAngelo rumor has zero merit.

Broaddus whom I hold in contempt mostly and now

Spencer's long-term deal might actually be more fair if we can nail down something like Kruger's deal (5 years 41 million). I'd take that in half a second.
Why extend with no idea how he will fare at DE? I understand the price is reasonable but he just isn't a fit as a full time LDE

Edit: Just did a quick scan of all the 4-3 LDE's in the league and Spencer will be in the bottom 3 as far as weight goes.

Albright is listed as weighing more than Spencer and 2 inches taller. Wilbur is listed as being only 4 lbs lighter (although I find that difficult to believe) and an inch taller.

Either way, locking up Spencer long term with so many questions is risky. Unless the team plans on using him in a Hybrid role, which I doubt, I just can't agree with it.

Also consider that Dez and Lee will be entering the final years of their contracts and need to be extended. Both will command big time pay days. Dez will cost 13+ mil per year and Lee should cost 7.5-8 mil a year based on the contracts given out today.

Do we really want to extend and commit to putting a square peg (spencer) in a round hole (LDE)

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-12-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want hall anywhere near my team. He is a huge a-hole.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I don't want hall anywhere near my team. He is a huge a-hole.
Based on what? T.O. Was a huge asshole too but that didn't stop Cowboys fans from liking him.

Unlike T.O., Hall has never alienated his teammates and seems to have matured from his earlier years.

I'm telling you, he really is a great guy and a likable person, my only concern is where his passion is. How bad does he want to win -- or does he just want to get paid?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:16 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Based on what? T.O. Was a huge asshole too but that didn't stop Cowboys fans from liking him.

Unlike T.O., Hall has never alienated his teammates and seems to have matured from his earlier years.

I'm telling you, he really is a great guy and a likable person, my only concern is where his passion is. How bad does he want to win -- or does he just want to get paid?
Lets go somewhere else with MeAngelo. I don't like him personally but as you say that doesn't count for anything and I agree.

He isn't a free safety.

He cannot tackle.

I repeat he cannot tackle.

MeAngelo, and the Skins, cannot tackle.

If you hated watching Vaccaro you will die laughing when watching MeAngelo at FS. Watch the angles he takes in any of the clips. Add in the fact he struggles to tackle effectively. Dash in with a little bit of undersized and we have ourselves Alan Ball 0.5 (even Alan Ball could tackle).