Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From NFL Network's Ian Rapoport: "Word from the longest physical in the history of physicals: If anything happens with Jake Long and #Rams… it'll be tomorrow #rest #longpuns"
Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I hope they get someone at tackle, the Seahawks just signed Cliff Avril from the Lions.

The NFC West is going to be loaded.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 View Post
If that is the case I would rather just pass on Long and draft KYLE Long in the 2nd round
Nah man, Jake would be a MONSTER Right Tackle for next year. Then Saffold becomes a Free Agent and leaves, then you switch Jake to the Left side.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Nah man, Jake would be a MONSTER Right Tackle for next year. Then Saffold becomes a Free Agent and leaves, then you switch Jake to the Left side.
I just don't see him coming in as an RT. He has been an all-pro on the left side. If he accepts a transition to the other side and it doesn't work out, then he has damaged his earning power further.

On another front...Delmas left town without a contract. Who else are we interested in? Bernard Pollard was released by Baltimore. Adrian Wilson is available, and I am amazed that he hasn't gotten more attention. Also, there are some very talented corners that have not been signed. The first one that jumps out is Aqib Talib. He seems like a perfect fit with Fisher's "take a chance on a troubled soul" philosophy.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just don't see him coming in as an RT. He has been an all-pro on the left side. If he accepts a transition to the other side and it doesn't work out, then he has damaged his earning power further.

On another front...Delmas left town without a contract. Who else are we interested in? Bernard Pollard was released by Baltimore. Adrian Wilson is available, and I am amazed that he hasn't gotten more attention. Also, there are some very talented corners that have not been signed. The first one that jumps out is Aqib Talib. He seems like a perfect fit with Fisher's "take a chance on a troubled soul" philosophy.
I think the Rams should look closely at Michael Huff, formerly of the Raiders. He can play Free Safety and also corner in the slot. He has stayed relatively healthy throughout his career and could easily compete for a starting spot with us.

I don't think it that it would take a huge contract to get him on board either.

He definitely bears looking at; especially now that Delmas has left the building.

WHAT SAY YE?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All players in the Rams secondary are guys that get in your face and aren't afraid to lay someone out. Delmas would be a great fit on this defense.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
All players in the Rams secondary are guys that get in your face and aren't afraid to lay someone out. Delmas would be a great fit on this defense.
Well, what do you think about Michael Huff? Do you think he would fit with a Jeff Fisher defense?

WHAT SAY YE?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aight Rams fans, wanted to come here to get yall's perspective on Jackson. Obviously I've seen him play in games over the years but not as much as you guys. He is known for his power and being a big back, being able to be a factor in the passing game as well.

Is there anything that you guys have noticed with him over the years that has changed for the worst? Is he a homerun hitter still that can run away from defenders?

He will be a major upgrade over Turner and from a broad perspective I am expecting a guy that will work hard and run hard.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Beano
Rookie

Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
Aight Rams fans, wanted to come here to get yall's perspective on Jackson. Obviously I've seen him play in games over the years but not as much as you guys. He is known for his power and being a big back, being able to be a factor in the passing game as well.

Is there anything that you guys have noticed with him over the years that has changed for the worst? Is he a homerun hitter still that can run away from defenders?

He will be a major upgrade over Turner and from a broad perspective I am expecting a guy that will work hard and run hard.
I don't think he has much home run ability left in him, but at least last year he could still push the pile and run through defenders. He'll offer something in the passing game still, good hands and a capable blocker. He always seemed to give his all, and considering how bad we were at times, should tell you a lot about his character.

Tbh, I'll miss him not being a Ram. Earned every yard and $ he got.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:58 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So it looks like Jake Long left St. Louis with out a contract and the Dolphins are trying to re-sign him.

Brandon Gibson just signed with the Dolphins so that is another Ram we knew would leave.

D.J. Faulkner is coming in for a workout with the Rams. He could be the pick at #22.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, I will be surprised if Long signs with the Rams, and I do not believe there is a left tackle on the market that represents a large enough upgrade over Saffold to pursue. So I think that chapter of this book is closed, for now.

The Rams thought they could get that kind of upgrade with Long if he was healthy, but I think it's fair to wonder if they were truly 100% comfortable with his medical issues since the two sides couldn't work out a contract.

If the Rams were fine with Long's health, then what was the hold-up? They were willing to pay Cook top money when he hasn't produced, whereas Long has been a Pro Bowl caliber tackle. If health wasn't an issue, he'd have a strong case to be paid.

For Long to be in town as long as he was and then leave without an agreement seems to suggest the door is probably closed on this one. But never say never, I suppose.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:15 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

I'm tellin you guys, they were never negotiating with Jake Long to play Left Tackle, they wanted/want him in here to play Right Tackle.

Saffold would get destroyed on the right side.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post

On occasion Jackson will break free for a 20+ yard run. He is a load for db's to take down, but they always catch him and wrangle him down. He has definitely lost a step. But he will give you everything he has, and will run hard between the tackles. If he has a downfall, it is that he wants to be the only back, the feature back, and doesn't like sharing playing time. That was his reasoning behind leaving here (he said). He doesn't want to be part of a committee.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
At this point, I will be surprised if Long signs with the Rams, and I do not believe there is a left tackle on the market that represents a large enough upgrade over Saffold to pursue. So I think that chapter of this book is closed, for now.

The Rams thought they could get that kind of upgrade with Long if he was healthy, but I think it's fair to wonder if they were truly 100% comfortable with his medical issues since the two sides couldn't work out a contract.

If the Rams were fine with Long's health, then what was the hold-up? They were willing to pay Cook top money when he hasn't produced, whereas Long has been a Pro Bowl caliber tackle. If health wasn't an issue, he'd have a strong case to be paid.

For Long to be in town as long as he was and then leave without an agreement seems to suggest the door is probably closed on this one. But never say never, I suppose.
Long just came in with unrealistic expectations. There is no way he is worth the $11 million per year he is seeking, not with his recent injury history. The Rams were no doubt thinking he could be signed for $7 million with incentives. The risk at his asking price was not worth the price. I personally think that Fisher and Snead, once again, should be commended for their due diligence and standing by their team-building philosophy. They made the right decision in letting Rob Ryan go unsigned. They made the right decision in cutting ties with Titus Young quickly. And they have made the right decision in letting Long walk away unsigned. One of the things that has made organizations like Baltimore, New England, Indianapolis and NYG perennial contenders is the fact that they have a strong model for their team, position by position, and they do not waver from it. While getting an offensive tackle is certainly a need, it is not worth risking the financial future for.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

The 49ers signed Craig Dahl. They certainly downgraded from losing Goldson. More than anything, I had to laugh when I read the title of the article...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/niners-...7308--nfl.html
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Long just came in with unrealistic expectations. There is no way he is worth the $11 million per year he is seeking, not with his recent injury history. The Rams were no doubt thinking he could be signed for $7 million with incentives. The risk at his asking price was not worth the price. I personally think that Fisher and Snead, once again, should be commended for their due diligence and standing by their team-building philosophy. They made the right decision in letting Rob Ryan go unsigned. They made the right decision in cutting ties with Titus Young quickly. And they have made the right decision in letting Long walk away unsigned. One of the things that has made organizations like Baltimore, New England, Indianapolis and NYG perennial contenders is the fact that they have a strong model for their team, position by position, and they do not waver from it. While getting an offensive tackle is certainly a need, it is not worth risking the financial future for.
Oh I agree completely. I hope that post didn't come off as criticism towards the Rams; it was meant to be a frustrated reaction to the tweets and reports that have been saying that the Rams were fine with Long's medical and didn't have any red flags for his injury issues.

Reporters can keep talking about how Long checked out medically and the Rams had no red flags, but it seems to me if that were the case, then they wouldn't have had much problem paying him, especially if as Jim Thomas recently said Long had lowered his demands from the $10-11 million a year total he was once seeking. If guys like Jermon Bushrod and Will Beatty can get $7+ million annually with $19-22 million guaranteed, then a healthy Long is worth more.

I suspect (or perhaps hope) that, regardless of what the medical reports said, the Rams were smart and insisted the contract include some staggered bonus payouts that would give them security in case injury became an issue again. Maybe this didn't sit well with Long/his agent, so they broke it off. But teams have to protect themselves in this league, and Long's medical file isn't exactly thin.

I applaud the Rams for playing it smart. It doesn't sound like they're out of the running yet, although I suspect if the Rams and Dolphins have similar deals on the table, Long will elect to stay in Miami. That said, I hope whatever offer the Rams made to Long is a smart one, and I suspect it is since he's gone this long without signing.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

There are a few Receivers on the market that I think the Rams should take a look at.

1. Steve Breaston
2. Darrius Heyward-Bey
3. Early Doucet
4. Julian Edelman
5. Dominik Hixon

I don't mind selecting two receivers in the draft and starting the season with 5 (Givens, Pettis, Quick, Rookie, Rookie) but I'd rather sign a veteran free agent tat has at least some experience and then draft one.

I know (or at least I've heard) that the Rams are higher than most people think on Nick Johnson, who made the practice squad last year. Which is pretty much like a redshirt year. He played his college ball at Henderson State. Runs in the 4.3+ to 4.4 range.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

Quote:
There are a few Receivers on the market that I think the Rams should take a look at.

1. Steve Breaston
2. Darrius Heyward-Bey
3. Early Doucet
4. Julian Edelman
5. Dominik Hixon

I don't mind selecting two receivers in the draft and starting the season with 5 (Givens, Pettis, Quick, Rookie, Rookie) but I'd rather sign a veteran free agent tat has at least some experience and then draft one.

I know (or at least I've heard) that the Rams are higher than most people think on Nick Johnson, who made the practice squad last year. Which is pretty much like a redshirt year. He played his college ball at Henderson State. Runs in the 4.3+ to 4.4 range.
I agree with you, I think any of those 5 FA would be cheap to. They are not #1 by any means but have experience. I know Heyward-Bey takes a lot crap from the media but I like what he has done.

I think the Rams will take a WR in the 1st and possibly the 3rd or 4th.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

What do you all think of the former Browns receiver, Mohammed Massaquoi? I heard he is a good route runner and is a physical type of player. He does lack break away speed so there is that to consider.

I'm wondering if most of his problems don't stem from the fact that he has had to play with some pretty lousy QBs in Cleveland. Maybe playing with Sam will help him to elevate his game.

One thing is for sure: if he runs the right route and gets open, Sam will get him the ball.

WHAT SAY YE?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 AM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

According to Bleacher Report the Rams and Jake Long have agreed to Terms. Waiting to see if this is official.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ee-on-contract

Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 AM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

Here is the article from ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...is-rams-source

Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

This article states that Snead confirmed the signing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rams-lo...0271--nfl.html

While I had pretty much dismissed the Long signing, I am happy with this move. I think between this signing and the Cook signing, it frees us up to have more options in the draft. And, while both deals are pretty expensive, I think we are a lot better team than we were a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I really thought when he left town without a signed deal and returned to his home in Miami that this was over, but not in a good way for the Rams. Surprised to wake up this morning and see that he was signed!

If the contract numbers I read are accurate (four year, $32-36 million w/ $16 million guaranteed now and $4 million next year), that's a very good bargain for the Rams in terms of guaranteed money, considering Jermon Bushrod received more in guaranteed money from the Bears and the Falcons gave Sam Baker a little less ($18.25M).

When healthy, which the Rams expect Jake to be after the world's longest physical, Long is unquestionably better than both.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

Any thoughts on what the Rams do next. Still have some huge holes to fill at both Safety spots and at WR.

Does anyone think there is a chance they bring back Quentin Mikell.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

According to Jim Thomas, the Rams have about $3 million in cap room remaining after the Long signing. It's estimated they'll need anywhere from $5-6 million for the rookies. So I wouldn't expect many more moves in free agency. Maybe a vet here or there for the minimum?